User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:24   #1
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts
Arrow wow, suicide and confusion...advice plz

I've always said that I have no respect for anyone that commits suicide, but I just got a phone call letting me know that one of my friends from work killed himself last night.

Now, I've had the discussion with him a few times about how if any of my friends ever commited suicide I wouldn't set foot near the funeral....but I've never been faced with it until now. I just don't know what to do about it. Part of me wants to go to the funeral, and part of me just wants to grab a box of beer and pretend like it never happened because I always said I wouldn't let it bother me, but it is bothering me. Do I crack and go to the funeral...or do I keep my way and say '**** YOU' and stay home.

I know there's some helpful folk around here, so please...work your magic.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:26   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
There should be no reason to resort to suicide, but assess his position and see if you can, if not respect, at least understand his decision.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:27   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Go to the funeral. You wouldn't want to hurt his feelings.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:28   #4
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

well, his girlfriend just kicked him out of their house over the weekend and yesterday at work he was pretty upset about it, but I mean....****, we've all been dumped before, it's not a reason to go kill yourself
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:30   #5
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
Its the respectful thing to do, no matter what the situation. If you considered him a Friend thats the right thing to do. The funeral is supposed to be a celebration of his life and closure - I think its best to be part of that if you were in whatever way a part of his life.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:31   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Well, the guy is dead and you're never going to see him again, whether you go to the funeral or not. In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't really matter.

However, look ahead in time and decide. If you do not go to the funeral, will you feel sorry that you never went to pay repects to the person he was and to extend your condoleances to his family/friends? Alternatively, if you do go, will you feel sorry for going against one of your principles?
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:32   #7
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
well, his girlfriend just kicked him out of their house over the weekend and yesterday at work he was pretty upset about it, but I mean....****, we've all been dumped before, it's not a reason to go kill yourself
Without knowing other things its hard to say that this was the only reason. A lot of crazy things happening can build up to the point of breakdown.
CjC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:41   #8
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: wow, suicide and confusion...advice plz

Quote:
Originally posted by Dilly_D
I've always said that I have no respect for anyone that commits suicide
so you nearly didnt respect Billy Joel then? Tbh dilly, there isnt a choice about it, you should go without thinking about it

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:45   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Regardless of understanding, go. You will not spend the rest of your life cursing the fact that you did.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:50   #10
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future
Go to the funeral.

If one of my friends killed themselves, I'd selfishly hate the **** for putting me through that. But I personally could never live with myself if I missed a friends funeral no matter the cause of death.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:52   #11
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Don't go.

If you go, and another one of your friends kills themselves (knowing that you weren't serious) you will truly hate your self forever (and you'll be right to).

Have a special ceremony in private for him, and don't let anyone else know (because you do care, and you do understand).
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 16:57   #12
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
on a grand scale of things, it costs you nothing to go to the funeral, you have lost a friend, and the funeral is about saying goodbye and grieving.
You own it to both yourself and your friend to go, it may have been wrong for him ot commit suicide, but, there is nothing you can do about that now, so go, and grieve.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 17:05   #13
Vermillion
Historian

Vermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to allVermillion is a name known to all
Don't judge too quickly. There are many types of suicide, some come out of desperation, come come out of cowardice, some however come out of a genuine mental problem.

People who have genuine depression (not just people who get depressed) often find that it is too difficult a problem to deal with, unaware that there is medication available. You may never know the situation which brought on the suicide, but here is a few things to consider.

If it was his first attempt, then it was likely not just a cry-for-help desperation suicide. These people usually try several times before they succeed. It is possible your friend suffered some kind of mental break. Apparently, 10% of all suicides are people who have suffered a mental crisis, such as their first schitzophrenic break, and cannot cope. As the typical age for the first break is late teens to early 20s, and it is often brought on by crisis, who knows if this may have been the case?

The fact is, while suicide based on cowardice may be contemptable, that may simply not be the case here. Err on the side of respect, and go to the funeral.

"Et nunc, reges, intelligite, er udimini, qui judicati terram"
Vermillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 17:10   #14
bink

Don't go to any funerals. What's the point of visiting someone after they died. Too late, should have done that when they were still alive.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 17:21   #15
acropolis
Vermin Supreme

acropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better placeacropolis single handedly makes these forums a better place
Reasons to go:
To say good bye
Cause you don't want to look like a dick in front of everybody

Reasons not to go:
You said you wouldn't
It encourages suicide
You can say good bye without going to the funeral

I see it as basically coming down to the dick factor; not going could hurt some relations within that group of friends.

I don't particularly care for funerals. They don't 'help' with the grieving process. Etc.
acropolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 17:36   #16
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Go and console your mutual friends.

Funerals are for the living--the dead don't care.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 17:40   #17
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
I have a similar view on suicide but i'd go.

I just wouldn't change my view that it was a stupid waste of life
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:03   #18
Mushroom
IRC Lackey

Mushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond reputeMushroom has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
Regardless of understanding, go. You will not spend the rest of your life cursing the fact that you did.
Exactly. One of the teachers at my old school committed suicide. None of us were allowed to go to his funeral apart from the ones in his tutor group... which didn't feel good.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw
Mushroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:06   #19
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Suicide is rarely a rational decision, but I don't see why people are so-anti it. It's just a decision that someone makes what to do with their life.

If you don't go, then it may upset members of his family/friends, etc. For that reason I'd do. However, being a stubborn bastard myself, I can see the dilema. However, the dudes dead and presumably can't throw it back in your face.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:12   #20
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
wow dilly. i've got the exact same attitude towards suicide. and i've told my friends that a lot. but i think when it comes down to it, i would go to the funeral to pay respects to the family and console my other friends.
in private i would probably say 'you bonehead.. wtf did you do that for?'
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:17   #21
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Go, it was his choice (perhaps not the kindest or most sensible) but he did it and you should respect his decision.
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:18   #22
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
Go. You may not respect his decision, but you respect him.

As long as he was a friend, that's all that mattered.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 18:52   #23
genclay
Serial Drunk

genclay is an unknown quantity at this point
Suicide is almost imposible to understand from the out side, And while I personally feel it's a very selfish sulution in meny cases I would still recomend you go. In my first year at uni a had the missfortune of living a a halls flat where not 1 but 2 of my 6 flat mates atemped suicide. One not that seroisly but the other was in intensive care for 2 weeks. This girls life was happy to the outside and very few ppl could understand why she did it, on meny levels this included me. But just becaues i disaprove of what she did dosen't meen i didn't care for her and if she had died i would definatly go. As meny have said you are likly to regret it if you don't. For yourself as well as others please go.
genclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:08   #24
Hostile
The Milky Bar Kid

Hostile is an unknown quantity at this point
this is so not the sort of thing you should ask GD ffs
Hostile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:09   #25
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Hostile
this is so not the sort of thing you should ask GD ffs
Why not? There are some fairly smart people here.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:11   #26
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
piss on his grave.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:13   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally posted by inf
piss on his grave.
Your comment was ill-timed.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:25   #28
Hunter RAF

Hunter RAF is an unknown quantity at this point
so.. basically

'Stubbornness vs Respect'

lol i cant even believe you're asking for help on what to do. Not everything is understandable to yourself, this included.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:27   #29
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

thanks everyone.

I just got in from my place of work and we're going to close down for the day of the funeral and all of us are going to go.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:31   #30
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by queball
he's dead, remember ?
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:32   #31
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hunter RAF
so.. basically

'Stubbornness vs Respect'

lol i cant even believe you're asking for help on what to do. Not everything is understandable to yourself, this included.
well, I think it comes down to never being faced with this kind of situation before. I've been telling myself for pretty much all my life that I wouldn't go if it happened...and I know deep down inside I have to go....but I think it's just been drilled into my head for so long that I'm just not sure what to listen to
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 19:38   #32
Obliterate
:cool:

Obliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant futureObliterate has a brilliant future
I would want my friends to go to my funeral.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:09   #33
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place
personally id go, if only so you dont look like a complete ****. I know it sounds harsh but he was your friend, ok he did something that you completely disagree with, but atleast go to say goodbye with the rest of his friends/family.

As Dante has already said suicide is normally not exactly a rational decision (euthanasia aside- quality of life issues etc)
Nusselt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:32   #34
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society
Quote:
Originally posted by acropolis

It encourages suicide
I don't get this.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:34   #35
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
You've already realized your made up mind was a bad idea to begin with, doesn't matter what you do now.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 21:46   #36
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend
I'd go and say goodbye to him.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:29   #37
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
No one can fully know how another person percieves and experiences this world. Hence we cannot say things like 'suicide is always pathetic' etc, since we don't know what kind of emotions they felt when deciding to kill themselves.

When this person killed himself we can only assume he genuinly felt the need to do this. Similar when a person does a cry-for-help suicide attept, they genuinly feel the need to do this. That's pretty obvious. Then it is up to other people to change this way of thinking.

Thinking along the lines of "Well last time I got dumped I didn't care at all, so there is no way I can understand why this person took his own life! That's just stupid" would be mixing up your mental condition with another persons mental condidion - a condition no one else beside that person can fully know.

So go to the funeral because he's dead, that's what you do when people die and you've known them.

Also feel sorry for his ex who probably isn't all too cheerful nowadays.

Matrim
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:39   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
If you still count him as your friend go. If you do not don't go.
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:41   #39
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
after the funeral, dig your friend up and eat his face.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:48   #40
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
go, you will never have another chance to.
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:51   #41
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by LHC
I don't get this.
Me either. How does going to the funeral encourage suicide? Personally I've never seen anyone say "hey that guy went to so-in-so's funeral. I NEED TO KILL MYSELF!"

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jul 2003, 23:51   #42
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Matrim
No one can fully know how another person percieves and experiences this world. Hence we cannot say things like 'suicide is always pathetic' etc, since we don't know what kind of emotions they felt when deciding to kill themselves.

When this person killed himself we can only assume he genuinly felt the need to do this. Similar when a person does a cry-for-help suicide attept, they genuinly feel the need to do this. That's pretty obvious. Then it is up to other people to change this way of thinking.

Thinking along the lines of "Well last time I got dumped I didn't care at all, so there is no way I can understand why this person took his own life! That's just stupid" would be mixing up your mental condition with another persons mental condidion - a condition no one else beside that person can fully know.

So go to the funeral because he's dead, that's what you do when people die and you've known them.

Also feel sorry for his ex who probably isn't all too cheerful nowadays.

Matrim
This guy's right.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 00:01   #43
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by sinnamon xie
Me either. How does going to the funeral encourage suicide? Personally I've never seen anyone say "hey that guy went to so-in-so's funeral. I NEED TO KILL MYSELF!"
"Gah, noone cares about me! I know people really care about someone in their funeral, I'll kill myself, then they'll all care!"

Or similar.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 00:02   #44
Som1

Som1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Maybe the day you'll be into a suicide position you won't feel the same... Maybe he doesn't valuate life as high as you do, everyone has different opinions, views, choices for his or her life. If there's someone in this thread that I do not respect, it is you.
Som1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 01:31   #45
CoD
(.) (.)

CoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura aboutCoD has a spectacular aura about
go or you'll regret it ... alot
CoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 01:32   #46
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
you guys can't read :P
he's already said he's going to go.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 04:38   #47
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

heh, I found out tonight what happened(was talking to a guy that was there). He was out with a bunch of friends last night, and brought a gun with him. They stopped by a bar, that his brother owns, called 'The Boat'...it's right on the waterfront here. After they left, they were walking along the beach and he said 'hey guys, check this out' and he pulled out the gun and bang....right in front of his friends.
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 04:42   #48
sinnamon xie
teens1ut

sinnamon xie is an unknown quantity at this point
That's horrible :/ I'm sorry Dilly

[M&S]
sinnamon xie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 06:44   #49
Aryn
Happy

omg.. that's horrible
though i'd have to question why he brought the gun in the first place
Unread 9 Jul 2003, 07:00   #50
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally posted by Aryn
omg.. that's horrible
though i'd have to question why he brought the gun in the first place
well, his ex goes to that bar every monday...so we couldn't help but think that maybe he wanted to find her :\