User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 21 Aug 2003, 15:58   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Do email clients normally have a message character limit?

Like, if I'm sending a 2000 word version of my life history to someone, is it likely to end up with half of it cut off?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 16:01   #2
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Hmm... I'm unaware of Hotmail has a specific "message length" restriction, but it's possible in a scenario where an e-mail message sent to, say, a "free" Hotmail address somehow was over the 2 MB limit (or the remainder of one's Hotmail account limit).

Why though, is your current e-mail limiting?
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 16:01   #3
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by HobbieRogue4

Why though, is your current e-mail limiting?
I dont know, I havent sent it yet.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 16:01   #4
HobbieRogue4
etc.

HobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura aboutHobbieRogue4 has a spectacular aura about
Incidentally, I'm having a paranoia attack thinking I read too little into this thread Nod...

:eek:
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 16:03   #5
HobbieRogue4
etc.

Quote:
Originally posted by Nodrog
I dont know, I havent sent it yet.
Assuming it's in "plain text" format, without all the hippie HTML and faggetto coloring half the world likes to feel special with, I'm sure it would work. You could do a test-send to moi if you so care. *shrugs*
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 19:23   #6
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Do email clients normally have a message character limit?

Quote:
Like, if I'm sending a 2000 word version of my life history to someone, is it likely to end up with half of it cut off?
the email protocol has no restriction on size of messages.

i can see no reason why any email client should do either.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 19:29   #7
Fifth_teletubbie
Commander etc

Fifth_teletubbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Do email clients normally have a message character limit?

Quote:
Your email client shouldnt limit you in this regard, but your provider might. (though it wouldnt be cut off, you'd probably just get a failure notice)

Ostraka: It's a Social Club with guns (and K-Y)
Fifth_teletubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 19:32   #8
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Most (all?) e-mail clients only let you send a maximum size e-mail. Hotmail is 1 meg.
I guess that's the only limit there is.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 19:47   #9
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Re: Do email clients normally have a message character limit?

I remember several years ago some people had inboxes with a 16K (afaicr) limit on mails. To send a large mail your client split the mail up into parts which were reassembled by the recipient. I'm fairly sure there's none of this sort of lunacy around these days. I've certainly seen Outlook Express and mutt handle 10000+ word mails.
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 20:15   #10
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Attachments is sendt as a regular mail, my work account manages 2Mb, my private one 20Mb.

Even if the average word lenght is 7 characters, there's over one hundred thousand words in each Mb
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 21:38   #11
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
You need not worry nod, your life could be documented in about two words.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 21:42   #12
Costa
Banned

Costa is an unknown quantity at this point
none at all

i sent a 200 MB email once
Costa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 22:05   #13
huh
WHY DID YOU PUSH GRANDMA

huh is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by W
Attachments is sendt as a regular mail, my work account manages 2Mb, my private one 20Mb.

Even if the average word lenght is 7 characters, there's over one hundred thousand words in each Mb
You're right, we're getting screwed!
huh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 23:11   #14
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by ChubbyChecker
Hotmail is 1 meg.
I guess that's the only limit there is.
Webmail doesn't count. A real client (Outlook/pine/mutt/Evolution etc) for a real POP3/SMTP account will not limit your message size (within the confines of your physical RAM/HDD).
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Aug 2003, 23:26   #15
inf
Banned

inf is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Costa
none at all

i sent a 200 MB email once
Most mail servers won't accept messages of that magnitude.
inf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 00:00   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Why don't you just send it to yourself and find out?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 07:41   #17
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally posted by inf
Most mail servers won't accept messages of that magnitude.
I'd go so far that no isp will let you receive 200mb mails. Best off going with a ftp server.
Unread 22 Aug 2003, 10:56   #18
menth0l
dim like a fox

menth0l is on a distinguished road
When will this be published? I think i'll wait for the movie.
---------------
ph33r TPE plz. thxbye.
menth0l is offline   Reply With Quote