User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Sep 2003, 12:42   #1
BuddhistPunk

BuddhistPunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Columbia - Explain something to me....

I am sure there are people out there in this mists of the internet that are much smarter than me, so please explain something to me using big pictures and small words.

According the the official NASA report the cause of the re-entry disintegration of Columbia was a piece of foam that detached during launch and irrepareably damaged the heat shield tiles on the left wing.

I am obviously missing something here as this doesnt make sense to me. Allow me to explain why :

The piece of foam in question was obviously attached to the shuttle until it detached - this means that the foam was travelling at the same speed as the shuttle itself. When it detached it would start to decelerate as a result of gravity acting on it, but as a result of inertia it would initially still be travelling in the same direction as the shuttle.

The shuttle is 37.2 metres tall so the distance travelled before impact is quite small, therefore the amount of time deceleration forces would be acting on the foam would also be quite small (even taking into consideration that the possibility that the foam detach from the highest point of the fuel pods, the distances involved are still relatively small - ~50m)

According to official nasa data at the point of impact the shuttle was travelling at ~700m/s and the foam object weighed ~1kg. Taking into consideration deceleration & inertia, it seems to me that the actual impact speed would be relatively low* - so how did it manage to cause such catastrophic damage, not unless the tile system was so poorly designed as to allow me to cause serious damage by simply kicking it.

I am by no means a "Conspiracy Theorist" but I rather I prefer things to make sense

* If anybody out there has any experience of the actual equations to calculate deceleration etc I would be interested to see them.
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 12:47   #2
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Take a piece of foam, hang it out of the window while driving a car. You'll find that wind resistance is quite large.

Travel at 4,000 miles and hour and do the same thing with your head. See if it stays on.

Wind resistance at that speed is so great that the speed difference between moving object and detached object quite quickly becomes, dare I say it, fking huge and thus the inertia and momentum and thus damage caused becomes quite large.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 12:47   #3
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
The only subject I passed last year was physics and I still barely understand that
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 12:52   #4
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
GO HANG YOUR HEAD OUT OF A JUMBO JET AND SEE PHYSICS IN ACTION, THICKO

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 12:53   #5
XeeThot
Manga Kitten is back!

XeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to beholdXeeThot is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
Hi Grandpa

Knocking on your door for leftovers starting on Dec 21st
XeeThot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 13:09   #6
Monkehpimp
'Useless'

Monkehpimp is an unknown quantity at this point
someone hasn't had their pills today :/
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 13:19   #7
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Dead_Meat
i agree with old father time here.

its simple physics that even dogs understand.
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 13:25   #8
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
dogs stick head out of car window when car is moving and enjoy its 'windyness'

clearly they understand more about movement and wind resistance than buddhist :(((
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Sep 2003, 15:39   #9
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Are the shuttle's engines on?

Yes.

How fast do these engines make the shuttle go?

Very very very.

How much faster do you think the shuttle will go than a piece of foam that is instantaneously going the same speed?

Very very very.

How resiliant is the heatshield to anything but heat?

Not very very very.

TADAA.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote