User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 29 Jan 2006, 18:42   #1
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society
Useless Error Messages

It all started off with my sisters computer. She's been having some problems with it, and wanted me to fix them and install photoshop elements for her uni work whilst I was at it. Of course, I agreed, as you do. Aside from the usual problems of trying to fix a computer with problems that no matter how hard you try, you just can't duplicate, everything went fine. That is, until I installed photoshop elements. It installed fine, so I ran it, and what do I get?

Yes, an error message:

"Unable to continue because of hardware or system error. Sorry but this error is unrecoverable"

Now, with this error message, one thing leapt into my mind straight away: "WHAT THE ****?!". Obviously, I am used to error messages, but this one just made me livid. What the hell kind of moron comes up with an error message like that? "I am broken, either my hardware or software is screwed. Sorry, I won't go away". Would you go to the doctor and say:

"Hello Doc, I'm not very well. There is a problem with my body or my mind and it's going to kill me."

Would you buggery! You'd go to the doctor and say:

"I'm ill, I have a headache and my eyes are sensitive to the light."

Now, after my initial stages of uncontrolled fury, I decided to track down the problem on adobe's website. It was surprisingly easy, and came up with this . Now, I don't know about you, but personally "Unable to continue because of hardware or system error. Sorry but this error is unrecoverable" doesn't look much like "You need to reinstall windows".

Why can't people make error messages that clearly apply to something very specific tell you what the error is?

/me goes off to reinstall windows and calm down.
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 19:11   #2
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Useless Error Messages

tl;dr
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 19:14   #3
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

My Computer has performed an illegal operation and has been shutdown <-- I got that in Win95 many years ago just before the whole computer froze and I'd have to pull plug and restart.
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Jan 2006, 20:32   #4
Emperor Rozenski
Generic funny comment.

Emperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to allEmperor Rozenski is a name known to all

Check the computer's Application Event Log to see if there is a more detailed error message there.

Control Panel -> Administration Tools -> Computer Management -> Event Viewer -> Application

Kick the Baby! - did we rock your world?
Emperor Rozenski is offline   Reply With Quote