User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 May 2005, 02:23   #1
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
London vs Birmingham

Last week i went back home to Birmingham for a day/night visit. I went out and had fun. I met a very nice girl while out. When speaking to her outside the club, I asked where she was from, as I didnt recognise her accent. She said cape town, for a second I thought she meant cape hill, in birmingham, then realised she meant South Africa.

I asked her what she was doing in Birmingam, and she told me she came from South Africa about 6 months ago, and lived in London at first, for about 4 months. In her own words "London is overated. Its not as good as you imagine it too be, theres too much hype around the place, that nothing is actually going on. The place is overpriced, overhyped, up its own arse." She then went on to say "Birmingham is completly different. People are friendly, they have a smile on there face, you ask them a question they respond. When people go out they are up for a good time, they enjoy life, and there is a good feeling in the city. Birmingham has everything London has, except its attitude and approach is alot better."

Now this is something I hear from many people, when comparing Birmingham to London, people who actually know both cities, will normally choose Birmingham. If we can get away from the stereotype of Birmingham as a dull, grey city with a lack of culture and history, I honestly think people will start seeing Birmingham as a city going places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Clinton
"I was astonished when I saw how beautiful Birmingham was. The buildings, the art, the use of the water - it is an extraordinary jewel of a city, and one that I think is not very well known outside the UK. I was just bowled over when I was there. It is quite wonderful."
Personally im a brummie, and Im damn proud of where I come from, and due to birminghams status as an underachieving and unrecognised city, I constantly bang on about how great the place is. But I have been to London, spent time there (My sister works there and another studies there etc) Yes its an impressive city, but at the end of the day it doesnt match up to brum imo.

So if you have been to both Birmingham and London, whats your opinion on Birmingham?

Oh ye remember Birmingham is the second city.
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:25   #2
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: London vs Birmingham

what?
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:31   #3
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

While admittedly I have only had a short experience of both I thought London was far superiour to Birmingham. I would rate London as one of the best places I have visited in the world. Cardiff is quite nice though, not on the scale of London but one of my other favourite cities in the UK.

To nick a saying I heard but can't remember where it comes from:

"When you are bored of London you are bored of life itself".

Last edited by midge5; 3 May 2005 at 02:42.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:31   #4
zakoff
Evul Critter

zakoff is on a distinguished road

I'm sorry if you are a Brummy pig, but i must say i HATE Birmingham.

There is nothing of interest there at all, its just a dull industrial city. Its improve massively since they re did the bull ring, before that it was a dump. New Street Station is possibly the worst station in the UK, i hate being there. If Bill Clinton said that, i don't know which part of Birmingham he is talking about.

London isn't much better, I suppose London has its nice parts and its horrible parts. Obviously London is more interesting, but i'd say its worse to live there.

However, I must say I'm not keen on any cities. Worse than both of these is Brussels, which is possibly the worst city in Europe. I'm a countryside person: Fields, Hedges, Wildlife, Trees and the smell of slurry are much better than concrete, cars and the smell of petrol.

I must also admit that the NEC is pretty good for events! Probably the best arena for that sort of thing in the uk
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:33   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little

Londoners talk with a shite accent, Brummies talk with a shite accent.
London is over-rated, Birmingham is over-rated (despite not being rated at all).
I've never met a friendly Londoner (whom i didnt already know) while out for a drink there, I've never met a friendly Brummie (whom i didn't already know) while out for a drink there.

They both look quite nice, tho. :)
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:35   #6
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apothos
I've never met a friendly Londoner (whom i didnt already know) while out for a drink there, I've never met a friendly Brummie (whom i didn't already know) while out for a drink there.
i agree.

except when they are outside of the respective cities.
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:53   #7
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantoz
Oslo is our only real big city (ca 800.000 citizens), and thus have a great diversity in the different types of culture, history, people, etc it can offer.
goodness? so large?

goodness.
Unread 3 May 2005, 02:58   #8
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Even we have more people than that!
Unread 3 May 2005, 03:15   #9
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Just goes to show the relativity of concepts of largeness, smallness, etc....

Indeed, the entire poplulation of Norway is less than 5 million, and as one of few countries we have a negative population growth (not counting immigration, which brings the net growth up to a positive level).
If I'm not quie wrong, that is less than half the citizens of Greater London....

But as a 5''5' mate of mine is won to say: it's better to be little and cute, rather than big and ugly....
so:

Quote:
On the other hand we have Bergen and Trondheim. The second and third largest cities. Much smaller than Oslo, but incredibly more aesthetically pleasing.
we can at least agree that oslo isn't big, nor cute
Unread 3 May 2005, 03:39   #10
zakoff
Evul Critter

Well, Yahwe, Oslo is clearly better than where you live.
Unread 3 May 2005, 03:41   #11
Yahwe
I am.

it may well be

the natives seem intolerably dim though
Unread 3 May 2005, 03:58   #12
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
While admittedly I have only had a short experience of both I thought London was far superiour to Birmingham. I would rate London as one of the best places I have visited in the world. Cardiff is quite nice though, not on the scale of London but one of my other favourite cities in the UK.

To nick a saying I heard but can't remember where it comes from:

"When you are bored of London you are bored of life itself".
I will admit straight away that I've never been to Birmingham. So I cannot properly judge on it.

But nevertheless, I prefer London. To me, London is the centre of everything - it's where things happen. This is especially true in the commercial and entertainment worlds. Once I leave university, I plan to get myself a job in London, move there and preferably live there for at least the next 10-15 years.

As for Cardiff, it's one of my favourite cities in the UK. The people are friendly, the streets are clean(er) and the girls are pretty
Unread 3 May 2005, 04:07   #13
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonentity
London is the centre of everything -
this is why i hate london. If it decentralised itself, the rest of the country would be better and so would London. Instead everything wants to be in London, which is stupid.

Cardiff is in Wales?!?!?! The Girls in Wales are like... WELSH?!
Unread 3 May 2005, 06:58   #14
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Brummy accents depress me. I've never been there though.
Unread 3 May 2005, 08:19   #15
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's not really a fair comparison.
  • London has far more opportunities, career wise. More large companies, charities, government departments, etc all have their HQ in London than anywhere else. Almost anyone of any significance in most fields works in London for a time.
  • London has far more opportunities, education wise. (Taking a few subjects at random from the Times University rankings London Uni's significantly outplaces Birmingham in Law, Medicene, Economics and History. In general you're comparing Imperial College, LSE, SOAS, QMW, UCL + others vs...University of Birmginahm?)
  • London is far culturally richer (more important/diverse museums, art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restuarants, etc).
  • London is historically far more significant in almost every area that I can think of. There's more famous landmarks to see / visit (if that's your thing) than Birmingham (I believe). Want to visit centre of UK government? Want to see where the Queen lives? Where the Beatles recorded? Where Karl Marx is buried? Where Keats lived? Where Jimmy Hendrix stayed? Where...you get the idea.
  • London has (slightly) better weather.
  • Because of it's size there are more gigs, clubs, pubs, etc to visit in London. Again, almost every band that visits the UK will do at least one date (usually 2 or 3). Larger bands will usually visit Birmingham of course, but smaller acts playing only one or two dates will generally tend towards London. The pubs / clubs point is self-evident although I've never been clubbing in Birmingham so I can't comment too much.
  • While both cities suffered from shit town planning in the 50's to 70's, Birmingham's inner city came off worse, especially in regards to Council housing and road building blights.
  • Better international infrastructure - e.g. access to airports, the continent via ferry/tunnel, etc.

I'm not having a go at Birmingham, I visited it last year and thought it was reasonably nice. But as I say, it's not really a fair comparison. London is about 6 times the size of Birmingham and even if everything else was equal would have 6 times the "stuff". Hell, the combined populations of Barnet, Croydon, Bromley and Enfield (four "boroughs" out of the 32) outstrips Birmingham's population alone.

But of course, it's not equal. For better or worse things are skewed towards London.

Sure, I'm sure the size / pace / etc is not everyone's cup of tea. But it's not like someone craving countryside and a sedate lifestyle is going to be happy in Birmingham. Pretty much the only advantage for Birmingham I can see is that house prices are lower. But that's a natural consequence of lower demand - i.e. less people want to live there, at least partially for some of the reasons I've mentioned.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 08:28   #16
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zakoff
this is why i hate london. If it decentralised itself, the rest of the country would be better and so would London. Instead everything wants to be in London, which is stupid.
Down with capital cities!!

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 08:39   #17
Black Dog
Dazed and Confused

Black Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really niceBlack Dog is just really nice

Oh please. When Birmingham stops building gaudy pincushions of buildings to mask the layers of concrete crap around its city centre and swaps it for some culture and history then we can talk.
Black Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 09:05   #18
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
New Street Station is possibly the worst station in the UK, i hate being there.
Do you travel on trains much? Being a student who travels a lot but had no car until recently i was in the unfortunate situation of having to use trains a lot. Birmingham New Street isa very good station, its more like an airport than your usual train station. Its got screens all over the place so you know which train your platform is on, its cleaner than most other stations and its got a good choice of shops.

Its better than Newcastle's, Liverpool's, Cardiff's, Preston's, Sheffield's, Manchester's (only just better than piccadilly though), Leed's, Derby's, Edinburgh's, Oxford's, Nottingham's and any small town station you care to name. I havent been to any London stations in ages so cant comment on them.

I sound like some kind of sad train station spotter .
Unread 3 May 2005, 09:08   #19
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

Birmingham is like Hengelo.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:22   #20
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Cardiff is in Wales?!?!?! The Girls in Wales are like... WELSH?!
The girls are quite hot here. Although my only basis for comparison is Essex

As for the Wales jokes, there's decidedly less sheep-bumming here than I expected when I arrived. It's actually a very nice country, especially if you stick to the cities (ok, so just Cardiff). Give up doing the tee-hee-Wales thing, come to Cardiff and you'll see a lovely city with great people.
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:28   #21
ceres

ceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud ofceres has much to be proud of

Birmingham is a ghetto. Its a city of big issue sales-persons.

The only remotely respectable area of Birmingham is the Mailbox shopping area, the rest should be levelled.

P.S. My fiance is from Walsall so i've spent enough time in that area.
________
GLASS PIPES CHEAP

Last edited by ceres; 31 Aug 2011 at 07:01.
ceres is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:28   #22
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Do you travel on trains much? Being a student who travels a lot but had no car until recently i was in the unfortunate situation of having to use trains a lot. Birmingham New Street isa very good station, its more like an airport than your usual train station. Its got screens all over the place so you know which train your platform is on, its cleaner than most other stations and its got a good choice of shops.

Its better than Newcastle's, Liverpool's, Cardiff's, Preston's, Sheffield's, Manchester's (only just better than piccadilly though), Leed's, Derby's, Edinburgh's, Oxford's, Nottingham's and any small town station you care to name. I havent been to any London stations in ages so cant comment on them.

Waterloo is the greatest of them all.
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:01   #23
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Just goes to show the relativity of concepts of largeness, smallness, etc....

Indeed, the entire poplulation of Norway is less than 5 million, and as one of few countries we have a negative population growth (not counting immigration, which brings the net growth up to a positive level).
If I'm not quie wrong, that is less than half the citizens of Greater London....

But as a 5''5' mate of mine is won to say: it's better to be little and cute, rather than big and ugly....
Wrong.

Norway used to have 4.5 million people, now we have just reached 4.6million. We dont have negative growth, due to europe's highest birthrates and some net immigration.

Oslo is not 800.000 people, more like 450.000 people.

Bergen has 280.000, Trondheim something over 100.000 and Stavanger (the oil city) has 100.000.

And btw, Berlin > Amsterdam > London.
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:02   #24
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Meat
Down with capital cities!!
YEAH!!!!!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:23   #25
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
Birmingham is like Hengelo.
Stonehenge more like amirite lol

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 13:52   #26
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC

I travel on trains alot. New street is certainly not better than most the stations you name. Its just bigger and has more technology. Its dirty, its too big, there are fk all seats on the platforms, its always closed for some scare/break down/leak. You also need to pay 20p for the toilets?!!!!! Manchester Picadilly used to be the worst, until it got improved. I also admit that new street is a hell of a lot better now than it used to be. I also haven't been to Liverpool, so I'm not sure how bad the stations are there. London Stations are ok, Waterloo is pretty good as is Paddington and Euston. King Cross is a bit of a dump and its in a pretty crappy area of London. the only reason that New street is better than the stations you named is because its bigger (except Leeds), but it certainly isn't better.

I suppose its a personal opinion, I've just had lots of bad things happen when i've planned to travel through New Street.
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:25   #27
Yahwe
I am.

The worst trainstation in the country is clearly London victoria

for one simple reason

a train station is just a place you catch trains. the most important thing about catching a train is getting a ticket and victoria appears to be the only major railway station in england to not have electronic ticket machines that take visa or switch cards

paddington, now paddington is a god of stations with over 30 different card machines in one block.

shame on victoria!!
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:27   #28
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I like Victoria, but then I have a Travel Card so the issue of tickets never comes up.

Paddington is too poncy for my simple proleterian tastes.
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:34   #29
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm not a huge fan of London myself, the place is overated, overcrowded, and full of foreigners. Nights out in London are generally quite shit, places are either so up their arse that you cant get in unless your some C-List celeb faggot, so crowded you have to queue around the block 4 times to get in, or horrid tosspits not worthy of my time. The travel is ****ing retarded, how can places like Toronto run trains all night yet we stop ours running at 1am if you're lucky. I'll not even get started on pricing of things, £4 for a pint, when do I get the blowjob with that?

I much prefer a night out in Essex myself. Ok, so you dont get the same 'meat market' feel of a night out in London, all those posh city girls letting their hair down and hoping for a good polling, but you get the essex filth out to pull as many blokes as possible. You get cheaper drinks. And even the blokes generally arent as bad as you find in London either.

The only advantage I see in London is if you're taking a bird out. There are some lovely little restaraunts tucked around the corner, and then you can take a romantic walk along the river, shit like that. Where as in Romford its either **** them on the first night, or take them out another time.

Anyway, just some ramblings etc.
Unread 3 May 2005, 19:48   #30
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids
Nights out in London are generally quite shit
If all your nights out involve either trance / d'n'b / r'n'b / urban grooves / something equally shit then this is almost certainly correct.
Unread 3 May 2005, 20:15   #31
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Thanks to the replies so far.

From the sounds of things, not many people have been to Birmingham, or when they have had bad experiences with it. I always say in order to fully judge a place, you should spend time in it like youre a local. For me thinking of Birmingham makes me smile.

Firstly New street station has to be one of the best stations in the country. Why? Because it connects to everywhere in the country. Yes its ugly looking, but its clean, theres a good staff and police prescence (one night i slept in new street station thats how safe it is) and signing is clear. Its not difficult to get lost in it, and its got trains arriving, leaving regurlarly, as someone who passes through new st daily when at home I can only give it praise. I have been to Manchester Piccadily, Lime street, Victoria, Euston, Paddington, Kings Cross, Leeds, Newcastle, Bristol temple mead etc etc. So I generally hold new street in high regard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante
London has far more opportunities, career wise. More large companies, charities, government departments, etc all have their HQ in London than anywhere else. Almost anyone of any significance in most fields works in London for a time.
I aggree but the oppurtunities in Birmingham shouldnt be overlooked, major companies are situated here, and you would perhaps be suprised at the amount of companies looking to relocate to Birmingham and surrounding areas. Obviously HQs will always be in capital cities, but where a HQ of a company is doesnt define how great a city is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante
London has far more opportunities, education wise. (Taking a few subjects at random from the Times University rankings London Uni's significantly outplaces Birmingham in Law, Medicene, Economics and History. In general you're comparing Imperial College, LSE, SOAS, QMW, UCL + others vs...University of Birmginahm?)
One again, its about prestige perhaps which is why universities in London will always be held of high regard, I understand and acknowledge that. University of Birmingham and Univeristy of Aston are certainly not bad institutions, and UCE is getting better (but they will obviously not match that of London) One reason why London Unis are held in such high prestige is because they have the most money (ergo they can attract top lecturers etc), and they attract a high percentage of International students. My sisters experience of LSE is that, theres very few english people there, alot are International students, and another high proportion are people who live in london, so come weekend, she is left in the centre of London, although obviously she has adapted to these changes. But in the first year it was a culture shock to say the least.

Quote:
London is far culturally richer (more important/diverse museums, art galleries, theatres, cinemas, restuarants, etc).
I think I will dispute this, while London is the epicentre of "culture" (god I hate that word when talking about the arts) It also blows its own trumpet. Birmingham has its own portion of art galleries, museums, theatres, cinemas, rastaurants, it just doesnt blow its own trumpet so to speak. The best theatre ive been to has to be the academy where they give new and upcoming writers a chance (you may of heard of the protest ad outrage in the city, when a play set in a sikh temple was performed) Cinema wise, Birmingham currently has the Largest Cinema in Britain I believe with star city, which caters for all budgets and tastes, from economy to gold class, from student specials to golden oldies, from Hollywood to Bollywood and the prices are reasonable compared to those I have paid in London. Restaurants is where I feel Birmingham is really under rated, we have some of the best curry houes in the country and they are renowned as great. We also have great upper market restaurants and alot of family owned restaurants (indian, pakistani, bengali, west indian, african cuisine) Once again its a matter of how hard you blow your trumpet imo.

Quote:
London is historically far more significant in almost every area that I can think of. There's more famous landmarks to see / visit (if that's your thing) than Birmingham (I believe). Want to visit centre of UK government? Want to see where the Queen lives? Where the Beatles recorded? Where Karl Marx is buried? Where Keats lived? Where Jimmy Hendrix stayed? Where...you get the idea.
Once again you are the capital, if Brum could match up to that I would be rather worried . However we have our own famous landmarks. Tolkeins house, the canals (as vast as venice and revamped) our old industrial past (ie our gunmaking history) City Council Building and newer landmarks such as the Selfridges Building. We dont have the richness that London does, but we have a fair amount.

Quote:
London has (slightly) better weather.
I honestly think that the weather difference between Brum and the big smoke is minimal now thanks to globalisation, but once again a hot sweaty day on the tube in london is not my idea of fun! :P

Quote:
Because of it's size there are more gigs, clubs, pubs, etc to visit in London. Again, almost every band that visits the UK will do at least one date (usually 2 or 3). Larger bands will usually visit Birmingham of course, but smaller acts playing only one or two dates will generally tend towards London. The pubs / clubs point is self-evident although I've never been clubbing in Birmingham so I can't comment too much.
I disaggree, you would be suprised at the amount of bands who play in Birmingham, and the catering of Music is really something in Brum that I havent seen elsewhere. We cater for Dance music (with the world renowned Godskitchen) RnB/HipHop with the many clubs in Birmingham on Broad street, to indie bars/clubs, to rock and metal. Gigs of bands has increased tenfold over the past 5 years with the Academy taking a pinical role in this. I remember when I went clubbing in London with my sister, I had to be on the guest list, be with certain people, know certain people etc etc. In Birmingham most clubs are open for all and there is somewhere where you can find your taste, you dont have to go to different parts of the city to find music you like.

Quote:
While both cities suffered from shit town planning in the 50's to 70's, Birmingham's inner city came off worse, especially in regards to Council housing and road building blights.
I would say come back and have a look, the city is changing and only for the good. On the issue of roids, Birminghams roads are recognised has possibly the best designed in Europe because we employ an up and over attitude. Ie two roads on top of each other, this means that driving cross city is fairly easy and accessible (btw my gradfather was chief engineer on the Spaghetti Junction dont laugh it serves its purpose and is beautiful from the sky)

Quote:
Better international infrastructure - e.g. access to airports, the continent via ferry/tunnel, etc.
I think Birmingham International is a great airport to be honest, and anyone who has flown there will probably aggree with it being on the outskirts of Brum it takes a 5 min train journey to get there and is more than accessible, as well as that flights to the other side of the world leave several times a day and the links are obviously better than you would assume. You win with the continent bit, although who travels by ferry anymore etc (Plane FTW)

Finally Dante a good post, seriously a very good post.
Unread 3 May 2005, 20:39   #32
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rids

I much prefer a night out in Essex myself.

point noted

future opinions dismissed
Unread 3 May 2005, 20:49   #33
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: London vs Birmingham

Stockton is the co-location of the first passanger railway, the location of the world's oldest station building, the birthplace of the inventor of the friction match, the birthplace of the Georgian furniture maker Thomas Sheraton, the birthplace of me, and has chronic social and economic problems. This alone means it knocks the shit out of you all, and Birmingham especially. That's actually more history than most small or medium sized countries or regions, or at the very least, more than Nebraska and Chad. Just don't ask for anything which isn't linked to industry or dull stuff.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 22:10   #34
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

Quote:
According to the National Norwegian Census Bureau (SSB) that is quite wrong.

Oslo is listed as having just over 800.000 citizens, and your other figures seem to be qrong aswell. Seemingly Stavanger has become larger than Trondheim - but it is still less influencial.
Norwegian Cities
SSB puts together Stavanger with nearby Sandnes, witch makes the figure wrong. Besides that there is several other figures in that list who I know for certain that is wrong.
Oslo dont have 800.000 people living there, only if you include the nearby areas of Akershus.
Haugesund doesnt have 40.000 people, its 30.000. Bergen has more than 212.000.
SSB is counting the cities in a different way than most do.
Unread 4 May 2005, 01:13   #35
Raging.Retard
Street Tramp

Raging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant futureRaging.Retard has a brilliant future

I enjoyed the little time I spent in Brum, although I did get the impression the place generally was a bit skanky and was in need of a city wide clean.

Personally the city I'm most fond of is Manchester.
Unread 4 May 2005, 02:45   #36
zakoff
Evul Critter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
Paddington is too poncy for my simple proleterian tastes.
Unread 4 May 2005, 03:01   #37
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

One problem with Birmingham from my (extensive) experience. It is full of Brummies.

The area is nicer than the one I grew up in. However the people are just not the same. The friendliness just isn't there. A hello in the street brings only a grimace. Not something I like.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 03:10   #38
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Glasgow is miles better
Unread 4 May 2005, 03:46   #39
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Glasgow is miles better
I looked at this thread and thought 'dace will have mentioned glasgow'.

GETTING PREDICATBLE IN YOUR OLD AGE DACEY
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 4 May 2005, 04:16   #40
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

It's true tho
Unread 4 May 2005, 07:39   #41
Nusselt
share the <3

Nusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better placeNusselt single handedly makes these forums a better place

I happened to be in Birmingham awhile back and saw when that Bill Clinton quote was played, some local tv totty was on holiday in africa and cornered clinton in some country they both happened to be in and demanded he say something to support birmingham in its bid to become city of culture. Basically he had to think back to the G8 meeting years ago when it was held there and say something about some ****ing city he visited once years ago. Writing that quote takes away the sheer hilarity of watching him trying to be diplomatic, but it was more something like

'I was astonished when I saw how beautiful Birmingham was. The buildings...the art... ... ...the use of the... ... wa...ter

The use of the water??!?!?!, have to say bill for a city that isn't on the coast they really appreciate them there canals.

Birmingham is a lot better than people give it credit for, comparing it to London is inherently unfair, London like New York is a 'global hub' you can't compare it to other cities. Its like comparing pittsburg (where acropolis lives i think) and new york. Birmingham is very nice though.
Unread 4 May 2005, 11:22   #42
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Frankly I love London. But sometimes there aren't many things to do in the city... social-wise.

Also the city is polluted big time. There's no fresh air anywhere.

Oh, Livepool Street Station and Waterloo are good in the winter and summer respectively.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 13:21   #43
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

have B3ta done a song about London, or Glasgow, or Manchester, or Cardiff?

case closed (also this)

Also there's a site called Birmingham, it's not shit but it's.... shit.

Actually I've rarely been to either London or Birmingham so my opinion is meaningless. I just find it annoying that anything new automatically goes daan saaf (eg. the new national stadium) when it's so obvious a central location would serve the population better.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 14:31   #44
Bashar
Idle Git

Bashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet societyBashar is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nusselt
The use of the water??!?!?!, have to say bill for a city that isn't on the coast they really appreciate them there canals.
Birmingham has more canals than venice.
Bashar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 17:21   #45
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
The worst trainstation in the country is clearly London victoria

for one simple reason

a train station is just a place you catch trains. the most important thing about catching a train is getting a ticket and victoria appears to be the only major railway station in england to not have electronic ticket machines that take visa or switch cards

paddington, now paddington is a god of stations with over 30 different card machines in one block.

shame on victoria!!
That can't be right! For i've been to Birmingham from Victoria and used my switch card to buy my tickets! (I only have switch and visa electron cards so it must be able to take them) Though, to be fair to your point, most of the ticket machines are rubbish and don't work half the time.

As for the London vs Birmingham debate, I happen to live in London (and go to uni here) and I have lots of friends who go to Birmingham Uni so we have this debate quite a lot. To be honest, we've never really done anything in Birmingham thats better than anything you can find in London, and in London there's usually more options for where you want to go. Also getting around in London is much easier (even tho people say the tubes crap) you can get where you need to relatively easily compared to in Birmingham. Obviously london is more dense than Birmingham, and I think one of the reasons people may say, London isn't what they expected. I live here now and I don't know most of London, I know of some good places to go for a night out etc, but there are loads of places I'm missing out on which are probably pretty good (of course i could research places but that requires alot more effort).
One great place is Hyde Park in the Summer though! You can almost forget your in the middle of (probably?) the most densley populated european city!
London for teh win etc
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 18:39   #46
Yahwe
I am.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeKiller
That can't be right! For i've been to Birmingham from Victoria and used my switch card to buy my tickets! (I only have switch and visa electron cards so it must be able to take them) Though, to be fair to your point, most of the ticket machines are rubbish and don't work half the time.
Phhhh

why the hell would I make a mistake on this???

looney

try thinkin before ya post

you've been to birmingham from EUSTON or at worst you went to birmingham snows hill station out of MARYLEBONE

you definately did not go to birmingham (which is north of london) from Victoria (which is on london's southern side - observe a tube map) and you definately did not use a switch card to buy a train ticket from a machine at victoria (obviously you can use switch at the counter but that wasn't the point)
Unread 4 May 2005, 19:00   #47
BeeKiller
Theh Muffin Man \o/

BeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the roughBeeKiller is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahwe
Phhhh
etc...
Yeah seems it was euston, my mistake!
Seems odd that they have different machines at Victoria though, oh well.
R4: Seal left to ReCon then TRT (ReBorn)
R5-8: Don't remember exact order, but, ReBorn, Silver, Legends
R9: Didn't Play
R9.5-11: FAnG Defence Genius & later HC
R12: LCH Defence Genius
R13 and beyond: Angels Genius
BeeKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:21   #48
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

I lived in London for three years.
I've visted Birmingham once for 40 minutes.
I perfer the Brummie accent to the psudo-posh London accent, or the suburban London accent.
Birmingham's city centre was a bit soul-less.
There was also too many sports shops in BCC for my liking.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:25   #49
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X

case closed (also this)

Actually I've rarely been to either London or Birmingham so my opinion is meaningless. I just find it annoying that anything new automatically goes daan saaf (eg. the new national stadium) when it's so obvious a central location would serve the population better.
Actually I posted a song about the London underground a while back!
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2005, 20:35   #50
pig
1up on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X

case closed (also this)

great links