User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:10   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
So, after two years, is PA still any good?

After almost two years of absence I'm thinking of playing a PA round again. So I wonder, is it any good?
Can I:
- play decently without being in a huge alliance?
- play without getting up at three AM to launch a fleet?
- play without having to be online every day?
- play without having to read a huge manual?

Well?
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:12   #2
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: So, after two years, is PA still any good?

Yes
Yes
Both yes/no
Yes
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:35   #3
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it depends by what you mean decently i guess.

The lack of player numbers means its easier then it used to be to get into the top 100, but without an alliance you still dont stand too much of a chance breaking the top10-50.

you *can* play without having to wake up and launch at 3am via prelaunch, or simply attacking at other times. All things have their drawbacks though. Prelaunched fleets can be spotted on a jgp, and attacking during the day hasnt always been a good idea. Mind you with most alliances awake during the night neither is it a brilliant idea to attack solo then either i guess.

Similarly you can play without having to be on every day if you want. It just means its harder for you to finish up in a decent rank.

Lastly - you dont need to read the manual to play the game, but it helps when it comes to understanding some of the formulae and concepts of the ticker's battle engine.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:40   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
That obviously depends on exactly what you mean by decent; is that top50? top 100? also, it depends on what alliance you call huge - presently though there is quite a wide amount of variety within the top 10 which are all about medium sized with some (small) variation in leetness. So, i'd agree with Nadar here and say 'yes'.

Quote:
This depends; the game has a "prelaunch" system whereby you can effectively set a timer before the fleet actually launches, so you can launch a fleet at 3am and not actually be at your computer at the time.

However, your alliance might insist upon you being online to send defence to these attacks - obviously the degree to which they insist depends on their leetness which tends to increase with 'huge' alliances.

Quote:
Yes, you can play. However, PA is very much attack oriented these days, so i would say that logining once a day (at like 6am ish GMT as then you'd see most of the attacking fleets on you by then to decide what to do) would be a good idea for a 'decent' round. Top level players, however, would find their fleets caught fairly often if they didnt hang around at their landing times though, so it kinda depends.

Quote:
Who reads the manual?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:53   #5
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Well, to clarify my idea of "decent": without being raped by a tonne of galaxy farmers every day over and over again.
I remember the frustration of not being able to put up a fight against the huge galaxy-covering attacks of the big alliances. Although my experience dates back to rnd3-6, I hope they changed this.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 15:56   #6
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Well, to clarify my idea of "decent": without being raped by a tonne of galaxy farmers every day over and over again.
I remember the frustration of not being able to put up a fight against the huge galaxy-covering attacks of the big alliances. Although my experience dates back to rnd3-6, I hope they changed this.
This matter havent really changed, infact due to the low count of galaxies, galaxises tend to be double booked by two diffrent alliances, some even triple and quadruple booked.

Hopefully they will reduce galaxy sizes somewhat to avoid this problem by having more galaxies.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 16:08   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
After almost two years of absence I'm thinking of playing a PA round again. So I wonder, is it any good?
Can I:

Well?
You'd probably need to get into a decent galaxy if you're not going to go for the big alliance approach and you want to avoid constant incoming/get a decent a rank. I wouldn't advise not checking your account at all for a couple of days, you're liable to log back in and find your fleet stolen.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 16:08   #8
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Learn to play for XP. You should be ok.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 16:21   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

There are no big alliances.

try this link to see the spread of players/alliances though
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 16:39   #10
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Hi SI!
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 17:15   #11
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon_Fodder
Hi SI!
Hey Fodder!

I must admit, Kargool's post doesn't sound very motivating, though I like the looks of bwtmc's link where no alliance has a huge number of planets in the top100.
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 17:31   #12
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
Hopefully they will reduce galaxy sizes somewhat to avoid this problem by having more galaxies.
How's that gonna change anything? That will just lead to alliances attacking twice as many galaxies (if galaxy size is halfed) and we're back on the same track again
Unread 9 Dec 2006, 18:17   #13
Little Timmy
Winker

Little Timmy will become famous soon enoughLittle Timmy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Its now a case of keeping your fleet. You will get many waves from an alliance. However, the ones that send multiple waves tend to be the ones that you can just counter and get more back than they took.

Yeah so what Im an Original Pr0nstar

some of us have serious jobs
Little Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote