User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 3 May 2003, 14:42   #1
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Hyfe's thread about R10 travel time

as it has been poofed like some of the Amps that i have known since my childhood, i'd still like to continue the discussion...

The idea behind having a variable travel time for the entire universe (whether that be 2 or 3D), is to promote regional alliances. I dont think that having 1 hour of ETA will do much - it would simply be easier for a powerfully connected player to farm this low-eta zone early and use almost as nearby areas for defence (as he would be eliminating all the opposition from around him).

But, if we made the time differences between regions huge - like 4 - and overhaul galactic jumpgates with ETA bonuses (that can only be used offensively), it would simply require a more co-operative outlook on the immediate region, as the only hope of getting defence would be via the people closest to you.

what do you think?
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 14:57   #2
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point
I think PA has shown the game not to work this way. 1 or a few players/gals will not agree to this. Farm the surrounding players and outgrow them.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2003, 14:57   #3
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
Why?
What do we gain from splitting up PA into spheres?

If i wanted to play a game with 100 players i've never met before, I'd go play a PA-Clone...

Either way: If we want to discuss Travel-Time ideas, I think it would be worthwhile to discuss what we want them to accomplish first. My points would be this.

1. No attacks should be next to undefendable
2. Promoting fluid attacking styles. discourages bashing
3. Promoting regional defensive co-operation, however it must be 100% plausible to survive without this too
Unread 4 May 2003, 01:30   #4
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by hyfe
Why?
What do we gain from splitting up PA into spheres?
Presumably, the entire universe wouldnt be of a single ETA - thus where there are ETA differences to make them large, forcing people to be more co-operative.

and where did these spheres come from?

Quote:
Either way: If we want to discuss Travel-Time ideas, I think it would be worthwhile to discuss what we want them to accomplish first. My points would be this.

1. No attacks should be next to undefendable
2. Promoting fluid attacking styles. discourages bashing
3. Promoting regional defensive co-operation, however it must be 100% plausible to survive without this too
i agree - setting objectives is the best way to plan a new feature, and i also agree with the objectives that you have laid out.

i would like to add one though:
4. Discouraging the repeat attacks on specific areas/people - ie Para or Cluster raiding etc.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 May 2003, 03:51   #5
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally posted by Ultimate Newbie
Presumably, the entire universe wouldnt be of a single ETA - thus where there are ETA differences to make them large, forcing people to be more co-operative.
A high(er) ETA gradient does promote cooperation but it also simultaneously reduces the pool of players that can effectively help you. You can still end up on the wrong end of the stick--and it's a shorter stick.

We've had ETA gradients of various sizes and shapes. After trying clusters, parallels and now both; I don't think that ETA gradients are the answer. It's time for a new approach.
Quote:
and where did these spheres come from?
Spheres of influence is what I presume was meant.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote