User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2004, 00:41   #1
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute
Two Universes. Regular and Free

This has in some way been suggested and debated before. The game need new players. We all know that. Now I belive in order to get them, we need to do like drug dealers. Give them something for free, then charge them when they get addicted. Yes there are currently free accounts, but they arent really a good way to try the game. Getting thrown into a universe full of vicious experienced players who are looking for cheap roids.

Instead. There should be a whole free universe. A place where people can try the game. With no limitations but a certain life period for their account. Maybe even make the ticks faster. Make sure the limit runs out at one of the best points. The exact time limit isnt what should be discussed now. But the oppertunities to do this.

Yes the free universe would be a mess. Like old PA who addicted the lot of us. Maybe have 20 men alliances there. Yes people who are in the "Regular" universe would have an account here for fun. So what? This helps to train new players, making them addicts. This can help small newly founded alliances to find new potentials. All alliances could have tryouts going through this(tho would need an account to live longer or the allie would die too, or just have permanent alliances). An own IRC channel could be put up for this "game". Its just important that the account dies at its best

Maybe have a hall of fame. Where the ones making the highest score before they "died" are listed. Have 5 man gals. Have big topics on overview saying its more fun with the 10 Man gals in the real game. For only £XX!

Yes indeed someone would just play this for fun. Without the intention of ever paying. So what? The more the merrier. The improtant thing is that we get some of them!

The regular universe would go on. With its alliances and struggles. Noone can say someone farmed free accounts in the beginning. There would be none...Like my cousin this round. He had 1k Nasicus as a free acc...But is more or less useless to the universe. All he did was some eta 11 Fake attacks(eventually some real ones,)

Give the newbies a REAL tryout of how the game REALLY is. This could even entertain the experienced players. And it could be used as a ongoing beta, where new things could be tested...

I dont know if I got all that was in my head out on this now. I hope im understood. If there something you wonder(of how I imagine it) ask and I will fill it in. A discussion here would be cool. No flaming. Im dead sexy...erhm serious? Anyway. I want the universe to grow. So I thougt id bring my suggestion up here.

Apologise for any typos. Its not my day today

ack bedtime...read it plz

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 00:51   #2
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future
Re: Two Universes. Regular and Free

in r10 there was a free and paid universe, well all one universe but free/paid couldn't attack eachother... but they didn't take it to the extent you're suggesting - perhaps yes, only problem would be is will jolt provide the free server for.. well, free heh.
Nadval is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 00:54   #3
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I've never been a subscriber to the idea that having a free component to the game (either like this or as we do now with 'crippled' free accounts) will do a great deal for the playerbase on its own.

The problem is simple, and not easily solved (at least in the short term), and that is that PA isn't special any more. It's one of a sea of multiplayer browser games based on 'that whole space concept' which has, as far as I can see, very few distinguishing features. PA hasn't innovated since its inception but critically neither have pretty much any of its competitors, free or otherwise. I've been playing Plan*tia for the past round and even though it's free, it wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience at all. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it was crap; the concept's old, tired and stale.

I agree that there absolutely must be some kind of free trial aspect to the game in order to get people to eventually pay for it, but until the game evolves instead of rehashing and tweaking itself there's no reason for a prospective player to even look at PA, let alone register an account and as such I can't see it making a great deal of difference.
Unread 23 May 2004, 00:59   #4
Nadval
m00

Nadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant futureNadval has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I've never been a subscriber to the idea that having a free component to the game (either like this or as we do now with 'crippled' free accounts) will do a great deal for the playerbase on its own.

The problem is simple, and not easily solved (at least in the short term), and that is that PA isn't special any more. It's one of a sea of multiplayer browser games based on 'that whole space concept' which has, as far as I can see, very few distinguishing features. PA hasn't innovated since its inception but critically neither have pretty much any of its competitors, free or otherwise. I've been playing Plan*tia for the past round and even though it's free, it wasn't a particularly enjoyable experience at all. In fact, I'd go as far as saying it was crap; the concept's old, tired and stale.

I agree that there absolutely must be some kind of free trial aspect to the game in order to get people to eventually pay for it, but until the game evolves instead of rehashing and tweaking itself there's no reason for a prospective player to even look at PA, let alone register an account and as such I can't see it making a great deal of difference.
I agree! The most effective method of competing is lowering prices now, which explains the recent success of Plan3tia.
Unread 23 May 2004, 01:32   #5
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

plan3tia doesnt have prices

anyway..
I like your idea, Jonas. Quite an open suggestion as many things can spawn out of it
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 03:42   #6
TouRiQueT
-Narcissus.Narcosis-

TouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these partsTouRiQueT is infamous around these parts

nice idea but wont work... THe paid universe will be very small, intergrating the two (paid and free) planets is better because then the new players can have some contact with paid planets and make friends etc.
________
Find Headshop

Last edited by TouRiQueT; 13 Sep 2011 at 06:57.
TouRiQueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 04:24   #7
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

The main problem you will run into is that the free universe is likely to be a lot more interesting than the paid one. You might run into a problem of people who would have run a paid account going down to the "Little Leagues" where someone with above average talent can really stand out.
Unread 23 May 2004, 06:55   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

The current system works a lot better than the split universes we had. I'd stick to it.

It may be an option to lift the free account restrictions in the last weeks of the game. People who played for weeks in a free account will not pay for the final two weeks. This will allow them to take part in alliances. The current restrictions make free accounts useless for alliances (which ofc also makes free accounts pretty useless for cheating). If you lift these restrictions you might make it possible to draw them into our communities. People who have not experienced the full extent of the advantages of payment are unlikely to pay.
I'm not sure, but I don't think many people pay in the last few weeks any way.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 10:17   #9
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouRiQueT
nice idea but wont work... THe paid universe will be very small, intergrating the two (paid and free) planets is better because then the new players can have some contact with paid planets and make friends etc.
They would make friends in a free universe too. And it would be a good way for alliances to find potential members.

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:08   #10
Spaced
[WP]

Spaced is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm behind the idea but didn't you say one of the current problems is that new players come in to the game only to get bashed by the vets? Why then do you promote the idea of these players having another account in the 'free' universe? To train them? The exact same problem would occur.

I believe the theory itself is sound however, I had a similar thread a couple of rounds ago. I suggested a 'free' universe for those who did not wish to pay for PA. The free universe would be held on a seperate server and given little to no priority with regards to technical help or updating with new features. It could be as the game was in the early rounds and the extra features of the 'paid' universe would act as an enticement for these ppl to sign up.

Of course I'm a sentimentalist and would say anything to see the old ship names and graphics put in place from the first rounds!

Ex [WP] Peon
Ex [NoS] Officer
Ex [Coven] Officer
Ex [=V=] Whore
Ex [Ely] Peon

Nom de Dieu de putain de bordel de merde de saloperie de connard d'enculé de ta mère! You see, it's like wiping your arse with silk, I love it.
Spaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2004, 22:10   #11
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

The "experienced" players wouldnt be able to bash in the free universe as their accounts couldnt get too big, due to a time limit. They would yes probably do better than the free ones, but that is how they learn the game. And they would not be totally bashed.

-Jonas-

Retired
Unread 24 May 2004, 00:16   #12
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I just read a thread on the forum of a clone. This made me think and change my mind.

The free universe (free game) will not have any interaction with the payed game. This means they can take place independently.

What we see now inbetween rounds (and at the end of each round) is that there also are seperate games for testing new features. (Beta rounds.) It might be an idea to have a free game where new features and code can get tested.

This way:
- the quality of payed game can be improved;
- time between rounds can be reduced (--> higher annual income)
- new players can get hooked.

The free round can and should take place without any restrictions. Alliances can choose to exist in both games so they can recruit and train new members in the free game. Ofcourse it would be a big investment from Jolt (server etc.). And the free game might be a major competitor with the payed game.

The payed game will have some advantages however:
- it will be a tested version: so little chance of bugs and midround changes;
- round length will be pre-determined (no reset or increased ticker speeds because a new feature has to be tested);
- less cheating.
I guess the payed game will need some more advantages to actually compete with it's free beta test version. Suggestions and reactions are welcome.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2004, 00:19   #13
Nadval
m00

the problem with that would be there would be no alliances in the free universe, that loses half of planetarion, and the better half too!
Unread 24 May 2004, 08:39   #14
Cayl

Cayl has a spectacular aura aboutCayl has a spectacular aura about

What possible reason could you have to think there wouldn't be alliances in Free-PA?

In whatever people do together, if there's even remote advantage in banding together, they will do it. We're social pack oriented creatures. From day 1, minute 1 of PA, people were banding together, and people are fully capable of forming alliances without the "Top guys" showing them what to do. Check the bottom 70 or so alliances on the ranking list.
Unread 24 May 2004, 12:11   #15
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Nice post Gerbie(omg :P)

I still think the Free uni accounts should have a set lifetime which would make people want to play the payed one...Cause PA needs the money etc

Retired