User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 11 Apr 2003, 18:07   #1
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Internet Connection Sharing Problem

I assume its the Internet Connection Sharing anyway...

I am running 2 computers on a network, both Win98se.
One computer is connected to the internet via a dsl modem - the other i got online using Microsoft's 'Internet Connection Sharing' thingy.

All was fine and dandy until about thirty minutes ago when my sister fired up her PC (machine #2 using ICS to get online) and was unable to get access to the internet.

The network is still working, as she still has access my mp3 library (on machine #1), and the internet connection on machine #1 is still working, so i have no friggin' clue what the problem is.

Can anyone help?
Unread 11 Apr 2003, 18:33   #2
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Sounds like the gateway setting on your sister's machine is incorrect. 98's networking 'wizards' are appallingly bad at this sort of thing.
Not being familiar with 98 any more I'm not sure where the setting is but you need to get into the IP settings for the network card (probably somewhere in networking in control panel - try the TCP/IP properties in there) and set the gateway address to be the IP address of the machine with the modem attached.

If it still doesn't work then for some reason the gateway (ie. the machine with the modem) is not sharing the connection still so you'd have to get back to me.

Unread 11 Apr 2003, 23:47   #3
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Are you running any sort of firewall?
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 03:59   #4
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Are you running any sort of firewall?
Yeah, but the settings havent been altered since it was working, and i also tried turning it off but it had no effect. :/

Thanks meglamaniac, i'll give it a try in the morning.

Last edited by Apothos; 12 Apr 2003 at 04:18.
Apothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 13:14   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

Quote:
Originally posted by meglamaniac
Not being familiar with 98 any more I'm not sure where the setting is but you need to get into the IP settings for the network card (probably somewhere in networking in control panel - try the TCP/IP properties in there) and set the gateway address to be the IP address of the machine with the modem attached.
The networked pc is automatically picking up the ip of the gateway pc correctly, so i guess the problem must be on the computer with the 'net connection. :/
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 13:33   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Try a packetsniffer ( http://www.ethereal.com/ ) and see where the packets of you sisters comp are going. Also, you might want to check you sisters IP address. ICS has a built in DHCP server, so perhaps that one messes up.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Apr 2003, 13:57   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Hmmmmmmmmmm.

If they can still 'see' each other for windows networking then the IP's must be ok.
Your sister hasn't gone and caused something to add a proxy server to the setup has she? Look in her LAN Settings in Connections in Internet Options (this is where it is on XP anyway) and remove the proxy if one is set.
It might even be worth trying specifying the gateway as a proxy but I don't know what port microsoft runs its ICS proxy on.
I'm really not sure how to go about debugging things at the gateway end. On XP you share connections by going into their properties and enabling connection sharing for it and you can also bridge connections if you want to (XP Pro only). I've no idea how it works with 98 because I never has any networking experience with it beyond dialup modems.

Sorry.
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 14:09   #8
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome

I removed the NIC's and the ICS software and reinstalled them from scratch, and it appears to be working.

Thanks for your help.
Unread 13 Apr 2003, 15:48   #9
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Ah yes - the standard method of fixing windows; how could i forget?

Unread 14 Apr 2003, 22:39   #10
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
XP does it lovingly

as long as you use a switch

but why wouldnt you???
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Apr 2003, 23:24   #11
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

Oh yeah XP is fine - I've had it, in various situations, doing a simple machine - machine crossover connection, hub connections and switch + router business and it's worked fine every time (note this is XP Pro. I've heard bad stories about XP Home).

Next academic year should be fun.
1 x NTL 1mbit cable.
1 x old P200 running IPCop to connect the cable modem to.
2 x hubs
8 x whatever machines housemates + me are connecting

Going to work first time?
I don't think so!