User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 2 May 2005, 16:34   #1
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society
[Discuss] Allied scans going through

There should be possible for any allied scans to go through the distorters of a planet.

Can you explain why this isnt possible? Or maybe make it possible?
Unread 2 May 2005, 16:49   #2
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Allied scans going through

??

So u mean make distorters useless?

Doesnt seem a good idea to me
Unread 2 May 2005, 17:26   #3
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Someone got attacked by a zik with lots of distorts and got raped?
Unread 2 May 2005, 18:01   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

If you buy distorters, you should be willing to accept the consequences.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 18:03   #5
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
If you buy distorters, you should be willing to accept the consequences.
You say that like distorters are a bad thing for a planet to have?
Unread 2 May 2005, 18:04   #6
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

this was actually approved ages ago..

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 May 2005, 18:18   #7
Cannon_Fodder

*redfaced*

I thought you meant allied scans went through on someone who was attacking you....

*holds head in shame*
Unread 2 May 2005, 18:49   #8
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
You say that like distorters are a bad thing for a planet to have?
It should not be an easy choice to build them. I don't like the way distorters affect the game. (Which doesn't mean I don't have a few...)
Unread 3 May 2005, 00:15   #9
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
There should be possible for any allied scans to go through the distorters of a planet.

Can you explain why this isnt possible? Or maybe make it possible?
http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=181591
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 01:54   #10
NitinA
Laziness pays off NOW!

NitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant futureNitinA has a brilliant future

I do tend to agree with what Eol and jesterina said on the first thread.

Distorters have advantages and disadvantages. Not allowing your alliance to be able to scan you is a disadvantage assacioated with using blockers.

But then again, the decision is always left up to Kal's, not up to the players....

-NitinA
[Silver] High Council - Military
[WolfPack] High Council - Military
[Ascendancy] Member
[eXilition] High Council - Defence
7-Round Official Planetarion #Support Team Member
Retired Since Round 21
NitinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 May 2005, 10:31   #11
Squishy
Lost

Squishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond reputeSquishy has a reputation beyond repute

AHAA

lol i understand now

Allow ur own alliance to scan u.

Not allow ur alliance to scan anyone.

/me wanders off and sits in teh cornour
Unread 3 May 2005, 12:31   #12
Cannon_Fodder

ditto
Unread 24 May 2005, 11:31   #13
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

There are other more interesting ways to discourage distorters - for example lowering the limit on number of constructions further - that makes for some difficult decisions by players.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 May 2005, 13:05   #14
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
There are other more interesting ways to discourage distorters - for example lowering the limit on number of constructions further - that makes for some difficult decisions by players.
Why would one want to discourage distorters?
Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 20:28   #15
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Why would one want to discourage distorters?
imo distorters should not be discouraged, they are a legitimate part of the game, however if you employ the strategy of building distorters you should also accept the disadvantages of them, to remove this crucial disadvantage would meke them more appealing and lead to many more distorter ho's. leaving this block on allied scans lendsd a strategic advantage to how many distorters you build
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2005, 21:06   #16
Kal
Inactive peon

Re: [Discuss] Allied scans going through

I think by removing the block on allied scans, more people will build distoroters which leads to more uncertainty in the game which I think is good. The strategic decision around distorters can still reamin though by limiting the total number of strucutures further.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 24 May 2005, 23:19   #17
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I think by removing the block on allied scans, more people will build distoroters which leads to more uncertainty in the game which I think is good. The strategic decision around distorters can still reamin though by limiting the total number of strucutures further.
hmm well if you cant be scanned by most ppl who needs res centers and stuff you can get the same resources from roids, all i would do is build a factory of each and then blitz distorters the current reason why i have none at the moment is to allow my alliance and other freindlies to scan me, granted it would add more uncertainty to the game but i am sure there are many ppl out there like myself who will not attack a planet they cant scan, that simple. this is bound to reduce ppl and attacking and will make scanners even more important than they currently are ( i was under the impression you were trying to discourage scan planets ??). a bad suggestion imo. you would have at least one person extyra whoring distorters next round and im sure there are many others
Unread 25 May 2005, 07:40   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barney
hmm well if you cant be scanned by most ppl who needs res centers and stuff you can get the same resources from roids, all i would do is build a factory of each and then blitz distorters the current reason why i have none at the moment is to allow my alliance and other freindlies to scan me, granted it would add more uncertainty to the game but i am sure there are many ppl out there like myself who will not attack a planet they cant scan, that simple. this is bound to reduce ppl and attacking and will make scanners even more important than they currently are ( i was under the impression you were trying to discourage scan planets ??). a bad suggestion imo. you would have at least one person extyra whoring distorters next round and im sure there are many others
so you go for distortors rather than mines or finance centres?

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 25 May 2005, 08:37   #19
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Why not make it so that cost increments per structure, instead of going by overall structures (example if you have 10 Distorters the next distorter would cost you say 250k of each resource, but if you have 0 amps one of them is 10k each), so that its very costly for a planet to do all distorters, or all amps etc, but its much cheaper to go balanced across the board?
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 08:43   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
Why not make it so that cost increments per structure, instead of going by overall structures (example if you have 10 Distorters the next distorter would cost you say 250k of each resource, but if you have 0 amps one of them is 10k each), so that its very costly for a planet to do all distorters, or all amps etc, but its much cheaper to go balanced across the board?
I like!

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 25 May 2005, 10:46   #21
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Would make it a lot easier for players to rebuild their factories, etc, after having them destroyed

I like.
Unread 25 May 2005, 11:44   #22
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

It would make larger planets that just Finance centre wh0re cost more resources - but they will also be cheaper for the general middle ranked player and thus more viable before 800 roids. This is potentially a good thing, but normally i prefer specialisation and trade (being an economist and all ) - ie, you specialise in one area and receive a benefit for going to the effort of that specialisation.

But i think the idea has potential, to an extent.

I like.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 11:49   #23
barney
Ex-Visionary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
so you go for distortors rather than mines or finance centres?
yes, because i notice that planets with more roids tend to be the ones i cant scan, im sure thats no coincidence :/. more roids = more res
Unread 25 May 2005, 14:16   #24
Gerbie
pe0n

I built over 100 distorters this rnd. I barely made it with my resources to keep the tempo of construction at 1 per 4 or 5 ticks. If you do this then make the constructions cost 2k each x amount of constructions you have of that type.

I'd rather see a change in the scanningformula's though: this will not stop me from going for as many distorters as possible again, it will just make it more costly.
Unread 25 May 2005, 17:39   #25
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I built over 100 distorters this rnd. I barely made it with my resources to keep the tempo of construction at 1 per 4 or 5 ticks. If you do this then make the constructions cost 2k each x amount of constructions you have of that type.

I'd rather see a change in the scanningformula's though: this will not stop me from going for as many distorters as possible again, it will just make it more costly.
No but what it will stop is scan planets with 100 roids going AMP AMP AMP AMP.

What you also need to bare in mind is that towards the end when your distorters are costing a fortune, covert-oping could become quite painful to you
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2005, 19:45   #26
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

I've actually had the privileged position this round of seeing just how effective mass distorters are. A top scanner can be found with more than 100 amps, but they are rarely also online for a JGP at ETA 1. This means that a large number of attackers recall even when clear through on Gerbie, just because they are scared of losing their fleet.

I can't say I'm especially keen on planets with mass distorters, but that's because I'm unable to scan them if I play next round as a race with construction bonuses, I'll strongly consider going down this route.

My proposal to 'fix' this is to give different constructions different levels of increase: 'defensive' constructions - i.e. Wave Distorters and Security Centres would cost more per increase than Wave Amplifiers and Finance Centres. I'll leave it to the more mathemiatically-inclined to work out a formula for this, but I hope my overall point is clear.
Unread 25 May 2005, 21:24   #27
Gerbie
pe0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game^
No but what it will stop is scan planets with 100 roids going AMP AMP AMP AMP.

What you also need to bare in mind is that towards the end when your distorters are costing a fortune, covert-oping could become quite painful to you
Atm I'm invulnerable to cov ops. Clearly it should not be this easy to be invulnerable.