User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Closed Thread
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 00:28   #1
Conall
There is a better answer

Conall will become famous soon enoughConall will become famous soon enough
Scope

I was just thinking - one of the things that makes Havoc fun is massive fleets and massive battles. The regular round seems to drag as you struggle to build a few of this ship and a few of that one. Perhaps increasing the amount of resources produced either through mining or increasing how much resource an asteroid produces would make the game a bit more lively.

I know it will incresae the distance between the top players and the lower players, but who really cares, that would only force the bigger players to start hitting each other more often and a little guy that managed to get through would do very well on XP.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 00:38   #2
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Scope

Fleets are only massive comperatively.

Battles are only massive if there's incentive to take big losses. Or in the case of havoc, lack of incentive against losing massive amounts of ships.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 00:43   #3
Conall
There is a better answer

True, but isnt it more interesting to look at a BR with 4 million ships involved rather than 40,000. Plus it would give people the chance to recover more quickly and get back in the game.

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 00:50   #4
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conall
True, but isnt it more interesting to look at a BR with 4 million ships involved rather than 40,000.
Not really.

Quote:
Plus it would give people the chance to recover more quickly and get back in the game.
Recovery wouldn't really be quicker, as you'd have a harder time catching up.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 01:25   #5
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

em technicly.. I doubt it matters if u get 1000 metal roid/tick or 1 metal per roid/tick
the numbers would change but the percentages in comparison to other peeps their fleets wouldn't..

(I could be wrong tho bcz its late)

so it would be purely for the show?
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 01:32   #6
Conall
There is a better answer

If fleet cost remained the same it does make a difference. If a roid produced 2500 per tick vs 250 per tick then you could build 10x as much fleet in the same time span.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 03:58   #7
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

Xp won't have as much of an effect as the xp score boosts will remain the same but values will be much higher.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 05:31   #8
Banned
Banned

Quote:
If fleet cost remained the same it does make a difference. If a roid produced 2500 per tick vs 250 per tick then you could build 10x as much fleet in the same time span.
This would also compound the exponential growth problem.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 14:11   #9
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
yea but if you had 10* the fleet chances are the guy defending against you and his allies have 10* the fleet basicly all you are arguing for is to add a 0 after every number on the battle report?

imagine i have to sacrifice x number of shippies for roids if the changes you suggested are put in place i have to sacrifice 10x shippies for roids. but also i realise that it has made no difference to my life because i earn 10* more resources per tick so can afford to loose 10* more shippies?

which while it makes no real difference to me either way, is pointless.
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 16:47   #10
Conall
There is a better answer

Changes have ripple effects. Yes, there would be exponential growth, forcing the larger planets, that now have few small targets, to attack each other more. Less chances of blocking and fence sitting. It would increase the distance between the larger and small planets reducing the number of incoming they have and giving them more opportunities to grow. I can see other effects such as impact on Engineering strategies and construction strategies as well. It would make cov oping for res more profitable, etc.

_ryzekiel_ is right about the XP, but perhaps that could be changed as well instead of capping at x20 it could be x40.

Sir Winston Churchill

Last edited by Conall; 5 Jan 2005 at 17:02.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 16:59   #11
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Conall the problem with exponential growth is it accelerates the end of the round. One alliance wins in the first month, then sits and plays god for the remaining 2 months and everyone else quits playing...
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 17:07   #12
Conall
There is a better answer

Well, what if the roids had a deminishing return. The first roid of each type generated 2500 res the next 2499 and so on. As the round progressed larger planets would produce less per roid even as they hit the 8K limit. Would swing things to a more even balance throughout the universe.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 17:11   #13
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

That was how it was done before, I think that the PA Team decided that having roids give 250 resource each made things simplier. but after the first 100-200 roids, seeing roid income per tick drop would keep people together longer - as long as xp was tweaked, which it needs to be, especially if roids produce less again.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 17:52   #14
Conall
There is a better answer

Wow - I had forgotten that is how the old system worked. Getting too old and was gone too long to remeber all those details.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 18:43   #15
Banned
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
That was how it was done before,
Not quite. When you had one roid, each roid gave 350. When you had two each roid gave 349. With three each gave you 349. Essentially you subtracted the number of roids you already had from 350 to determine how much more the next roid would give: When you had 50, the next roid gave you 300 more resources. Until the minimum of 250 for each roid.

It was removed because it was pointless and crap.

Having each roid produce different, such as 2500 for the first, 2499 for the second (giving 4999 total) and having a minimum of around 100 might be workable. Might make it possible to HCT beyond 8k without unbalancing things tbh.
Unread 5 Jan 2005, 18:50   #16
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
Not quite. When you had one roid, each roid gave 350. When you had two each roid gave 349. With three each gave you 349.
I knew it was something like that :/ I got confused because we have 250 now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned
It was removed because it was pointless and crap.
I thought it was cos it made it more simple for new players.
I'd like it back. I guess if we're gonna multiply everything by 10 just so we can do a 2500 2499 etc thing .... sorta silly just for that but if there's no other way (apart from introducing an actual decimal point or something...)
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 04:13   #17
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Would change nothing, only more recourses, larger fleets and more score for everyone, so everything stayes the same, just in larger numbers. Bit useless imo, would just take more server power.
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 04:37   #18
Conall
There is a better answer

Wow - I can think of several ways I would change my game play. And things that I would to change as well.

Sir Winston Churchill
Unread 6 Jan 2005, 11:27   #19
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Treet
Would change nothing, only more recourses, larger fleets and more score for everyone, so everything stayes the same, just in larger numbers. Bit useless imo, would just take more server power.
no, the point is you'd gradually have less efficient roids. At the moment, the same idea would be having roids producing say 350 resources, then 349.9, 349.8, etc as you got more roids. Doing a 350 to 250 for your first 100 roids isn't great as after the first 100 roids there's no loss, whereas it's gradual if you have bigger numbers, and lasts for longer. unless the first say 10-20 roids do 350, then the next 10/20 do 349, and so on. that'd last for 1000 roids. Or you could do this once you get to 1000 roids, so that's everyone between 1000 and 2000 roids who starts to loose efficiency (1000 and 3000 if you're using blocks of 20 roids instead of blocks of 10)
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 00:02   #20
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

How about something like Production = roids*250*1000/(1000+roids)

roids production prod/roid
1 249 (249)
10 2,475 (247)
100 22,727 (227)
1000 125,000 (125)
10000 227,272 (22)
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 00:29   #21
Appocomaster
PA Team

doesnt sound too bad. slightly harsh when you get big roids, but oh well or maybe # of roids /2 ?
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 00:42   #22
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i prefer it where the old roids keep doing the same amount, ie you get 500 for the first, 499 for the second etc down to a minimum per roid. it's not particularly hard to calculate, but means that getting new roids is more worthwhile. either that or there needs to be some maximum that the number of roid divider can get to. under your current suggstion your 8000th roid gets you 3 resources per tick. noone in their right mind is going to attack for that (they may attack, but not to increase their roid count)
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 09:55   #23
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

one thing that changed with round 12 stats as opposed to round 11 stats is that ships became cheaper leading to more fun big battles.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Unread 7 Jan 2005, 13:40   #24
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

how does ships being cheaper lead to more fun battles? the destruction is exactly the same...

-mist
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 20:57   #25
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

apparently people just like big numbers - don't ask me why

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:24   #26
Kal
Inactive peon

Re: [Discuss] Scope

increasing resources from roids would cause increased exponential growth problems - same with mining - declined

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Closed Thread