User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Oct 2004, 16:04   #1
DunkelGraf
Drunken Boozer

DunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to behold
Gal-Setup

As we have 5 private and 5 random per gal, how will planets be placed in gals ? Will there be a shuffle that puts all randoms in the private ones equally ? Or will the randoms be placed in open gals directly when created ? As private gals will be closed until all 5 are created, randoms wont be able to join those gals at the beginning, if i understood everything correcltly..........

! [ToT]-KC !

Äscendäncy, we got Penis inside!
DunkelGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 20:13   #2
tauric

tauric is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Gal-Setup

same question here, as a real randomizer i would like the oportunity of ending up in the same gal as the next round 12 winner. Do i pay on monday 4? or do i wait till theusday 13?
tauric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 20:54   #3
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

hey tauric, coincidence to see you at the start of the round again

btw...good question, maybe someone from the crew can explain

[]LCH[] ..lets change history
Nitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:07   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

there will be no shuffle, however there might be a 'zip', during which partially filled gals are merged.

going on memory, i believe that once a gal reaches the 5 man limit it'll be opened to randoms. however, that could be well away from what'll actually happen.

if that IS the case, it should be fairly easy to get yourself a good gal - just wait until there's a few gals with 5 people in and then sign up a few random accounts untill you get in one of them

-mist
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:11   #5
Nitros
Internal Error

Nitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to beholdNitros is a splendid one to behold

leading to a possibilty of 10-man private gals - bad?

Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:18   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
there will be no shuffle, however there might be a 'zip', during which partially filled gals are merged.

going on memory, i believe that once a gal reaches the 5 man limit it'll be opened to randoms. however, that could be well away from what'll actually happen.

if that IS the case, it should be fairly easy to get yourself a good gal - just wait until there's a few gals with 5 people in and then sign up a few random accounts untill you get in one of them

-mist
Isn't it againt the rules to sign up multiple accounts? Naughty.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:32   #7
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

indeed it is. naughty of mist to suggest people do it. any we find will be closed on sight ( ALL of them )
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:41   #8
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

i believe the word you're looking for is 'realistic'. if it gives an advantage then it'll be done.

perhaps it might be worth closing the hole before it's used?

-mist
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:55   #9
Gerbie
pe0n

You are right ofc. It would have been better to make clear that it is illegal when posting the idea and make clear you want the hole closed. People often excuse themselves by saying they didn't know it was against any rules.
Unread 3 Oct 2004, 21:59   #10
mist
Jolt's best friend

such people should be closed for stupidity/cockyess :P

-mist
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 07:36   #11
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

So, If I make multiple accounts. Keep the one that fits me best, delete all others, will I get noticed?
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 08:06   #12
Achilles
Poblacht na hÉireann

Achilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAchilles spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Well you will now......
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 11:57   #13
mist
Jolt's best friend

lord_thunderball

while i obviously can't encourace cheating, as it's a shitty thing to do i would have to conclude that if you were clever about it, noone would notice your multiple signups.

the longer an account is played, the easier it should be to detect as a multi, so i'd expect that signing up accounts and then logging in to them once would be relativly low risk.

hence it'd be sensible to remove this particularly problem, imo. sure there's a load of other reasons for multing, but getting rid of one of them has to be a start

-mist
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 12:10   #14
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Thunderball
So, If I make multiple accounts. Keep the one that fits me best, delete all others, will I get noticed?
an admin has to delete them - and when given a deletion request he will have a look for multiple accounts

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 12:12   #15
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
lord_thunderball

while i obviously can't encourace cheating, as it's a shitty thing to do i would have to conclude that if you were clever about it, noone would notice your multiple signups.

the longer an account is played, the easier it should be to detect as a multi, so i'd expect that signing up accounts and then logging in to them once would be relativly low risk.

hence it'd be sensible to remove this particularly problem, imo. sure there's a load of other reasons for multing, but getting rid of one of them has to be a start

-mist
our tools will detect a "basic" multi just as easily after signup as they do later on in the game. Last round i closed quite a few accounts immediatly after they were created.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 12:31   #16
mist
Jolt's best friend

yes, however that's a 'basic' multi... we both know that a 'competent' one is much harder to detect, if they can be detected at all

-mist
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 12:40   #17
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

is it just me or does the return of semi-private gals mean we are gonna see a return to uber blocking and ppl signing up multiple accs to abuse this ,
no alliance with any sense is gonna permit its members to form a 5 man gal so welcome back to blocks who is gonna be the first evul block out there ?

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 13:13   #18
mist
Jolt's best friend

the argument has already happened.

outcome, there's not enough time to code buddy packs, but was enough time to code half private gals.

go figure
-mist
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 16:15   #19
Nitros
Internal Error

just shuffle @ tick 48 and get over with it

Unread 4 Oct 2004, 16:22   #20
Lord_Thunderball
Playing Speedrounds

Lord_Thunderball is on a distinguished road

My 2 cents.

Delete all non active randoms at tick 48, and shuffle them.

1) Less cheating with randoms planets
2) Less account switching to form uber gals
3) Less inactive randoms who signed up, but ain't playing and there to spoil your round
4) More fun for the whole gal with 10 actives!
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 16:40   #21
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

Or just have galaxies of 5 to start with, then 'zip' all of them up to form 10s (or a gal of 4, 3 and 3 etc)
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 17:44   #22
Gerbie
pe0n

Just run the game like this. See how it will stagnate as usual within a few weeks and then shuffle.
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 19:45   #23
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road

surely an easy way to stop this or at least to some degree make it more work for someone would be to make the sign up page check the adress and e-mail of the person signing up if that adress or e-mail already exists then not to allow that player to create and account????

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 19:56   #24
mist
Jolt's best friend

if you can code something that can check any address in the world, go go gadget you.

the e-mail address *has* to be real, to get a password - or at least always used to be

-mist
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 20:08   #25
jleedham

jleedham is on a distinguished road

sorry i didnt mean to check it against the Real adress as you say although that would be the ultimate way, what i meant was that it checked in the database of the already signed up accounts.

Have You Growled At The Badger Recently?
jleedham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Oct 2004, 20:11   #26
mist
Jolt's best friend

oh

i'd imaigne the multi hunting tools do that already. however people might lie about them...

-mist
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 00:21   #27
DunkelGraf
Drunken Boozer

DunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to beholdDunkelGraf is a splendid one to behold

so we will have some "created" gal by "cheating" .................

! [ToT]-KC !

Äscendäncy, we got Penis inside!
DunkelGraf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Oct 2004, 06:16   #28
Zo0f
Sir peon to you

Zo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of lightZo0f is a glorious beacon of light

<Random PA Player> is there going to be a re-shuffle?
<Spinner> we hope to avoid that
<Spinner> But ticks are 10 days away
<Spinner> I can code a skyscraper by then (:

Then i hope you get to work on a shuffle code for the random planets. Not only is it unfair to the randoms who signed up early (who cares about them through right? certainly not PATeam! Is that the impression you want to give?), it is also unfair to the people without enough money or with too many morals to signup many accounts and start making 5-7+ man private galaxies.

"The only easy day was yesterday."
Zo0f is offline   Reply With Quote