User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 3 Sep 2004, 18:27   #1
Suggestionperso

Suggestionperso is an unknown quantity at this point
Paid/Unpaid accounts options

To whom it many concern,
I would like to address the issue concerning the limitations and functions of paid/unpaid accounts. After conferring with many people, they have all agreed with me on the following (regarding this issue): that unpaid accounts 1)should AT LEAST have unit scans, 2)there should be a server for unpaid/paid accounts, AND/OR 3)if unpaid accounts had more abilities, Planetarion would have a lot more players. Of course, it would be not fair towards the paid accounts if unpaid accounts get extended access to the tech tree without compensation and therefore, paid accounts could get something to the effect of faster ticks, higher starting income, etc.

Last edited by Suggestionperso; 3 Sep 2004 at 18:33. Reason: Revising grammer errors and additional comments
Suggestionperso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 19:15   #2
Shaithess

Shaithess is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Paid/Unpaid accounts options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suggestionperso
To whom it many concern,
I would like to address the issue concerning the limitations and functions of paid/unpaid accounts. After conferring with many people, they have all agreed with me on the following (regarding this issue): that unpaid accounts 1)should AT LEAST have unit scans, 2)there should be a server for unpaid/paid accounts, AND/OR 3)if unpaid accounts had more abilities, Planetarion would have a lot more players. Of course, it would be not fair towards the paid accounts if unpaid accounts get extended access to the tech tree without compensation and therefore, paid accounts could get something to the effect of faster ticks, higher starting income, etc.
1) Perhaps
2) Different ones? :S We had different universes in PaX. Was kinda silly splitting an already tiny memberbase.
3) Faster ticks? What do you do when you're attacking an unpaoid? Go at your speed? Get more easily roided by paid overnight? I disagree, though I would like to see unpaid accounts have better access to tech tree, I'd prefer to see something like only paid planets able to join an alliance/buddy pack/change skins/exile themselves, and perhaps engineering (which would be locked to unpaid)
Shaithess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 20:28   #3
Suggestionperso

I realize what I am suggesting for paid/unpaid players is not very pragmatic, BUT I was wondering if Unpaid accounts can be somehow given the same maximum potential as paid accounts WITHOUT creating an unfair situation for paid accounts (like the ideas that you suggested, which by the way, are very good ideas )
Unread 3 Sep 2004, 23:01   #4
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all

if you read about a bit, this has already been looked at thoroughly, such as:

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=179896

-mist
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 01:26   #5
Suggestionperso

Actually, Mist you are wrong. I read that thread and all it mentions are skins, ship changes, and "some more changes concerning payment/free accounts which will make the game better, but of which I can't remember if they were anounced officially yet or were told to me in confidentiality" (that is all it mentions regarding paid/unpaid accounts). Correct me if I am wrong but "if you read about a bit, this has already been looked at thoroughly..." I wouldn't use the word 'thoroughly', considering the fact that it has ONLY been mentioned once in that thread(in a general and vague manner mind you).
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 02:03   #6
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suggestionperso
Actually, Mist you are wrong. I read that thread and all it mentions are skins, ship changes, and "some more changes concerning payment/free accounts which will make the game better, but of which I can't remember if they were anounced officially yet or were told to me in confidentiality" (that is all it mentions regarding paid/unpaid accounts). Correct me if I am wrong but "if you read about a bit, this has already been looked at thoroughly..." I wouldn't use the word 'thoroughly', considering the fact that it has ONLY been mentioned once in that thread(in a general and vague manner mind you).
Hmm you are right. There is no official post about this subject as far as I know. But I can asure you that I have the impression that the options available to unpaid accounts have been looked at thoroughly. An anouncement with more information about rnd 12 is expected soon (I'm not sure they will say anything about this particular subject yet though.) One other thing is the following (from that thread):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
As to round 12, Gerbie is pretty much correct although the galaxy setup is not precisly defined. The one thing I can say is it won;t be the same as this round and it is being designed to counter the problems found this round.
One of the problems refered to is the fact that in the current round some galaxies had 3 buddygroups in them while others had none. Many paid accounts play in buddygroups, while most free accounts dont. A more even distribution of free and paid accounts by creating a more even distribution of buddy groups will benifit the free accounts.
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS

Last edited by Gerbie; 4 Sep 2004 at 02:08.
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2004, 16:58   #7
Nology

Nology is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggestion: Do not punish us because they aren't paying. At least let them see other persons incoming so those in the galaxy that are paid and aren't online don't get punished by not getting defense. There is no reason those of us who do pay should lose the ability to get defense because they didn't pay.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 12:07   #8
Phant
Meep meep vs. 3.89

Phant is an unknown quantity at this point

That last remark there is something that needs to be changed indeed.
If someone ends up in a gal with mostly unpaic accounts they will have to be online 24/7 to avoid beeing bashed because of unpaid accounts not seeing the incs. Like he said: Dont punish the ones who did pay, which is what happens with this.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 12:09   #9
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaithess
I'd prefer to see something like only paid planets able to join an alliance
You are kidding about that arent you, I think I can safely say a large number of freebies whom ended up paying only did so BECAUSE of their alliance. Either they found someone in the alliance whom would pay for them or they were accepted by the alliance and became attached and wanted to help give back. Alliances are a major part in getting new players
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote