User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Sep 2004, 19:14   #1
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
GD Advice, Part... whatever.

Ok, so I just took a career test on Tickle and although I don't take much notice of these things usually, the results were suprisingly accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickle
Stuart, based on your responses, your top career area is Law and Enforcement

Careers in this field often demand that you be exceptionally responsive to the environment around you. Most professions in the law and enforcement field require quick thinking and acting. In addition, some jobs within this field have a tendency to be unpredictable. A dull day can quickly turn into an action packed adventure.
You all know my current full time profession and part time, although should you not, full time I am a systems engineer for an Apple / IBM / Toshiba / Microsoft certified solutions provider. Part time I'm TA Royal Military Police. That brings us all up to speed.

So, I've been thinking for a little while now. I love the TA, its one of my top three life things. Great fun, challenging and adventurous. I despise my actual full time job. It's boring, poorly paid, same shit - different day and doesn't interest me, but I'm good at it.

Now - joining the local law enforcement agency, commonly known as Northumbria Police is something I've been wanting to do for a long time, and this career test has kinda made my mind more set on it. It's a job I'd love to do and personally I think I'd be well suited to it. Level headed, straight of mind, know the law, understanding and I can evaluate situations based on the events that have lead to them. Anyway.

My problem is this. Northumbria Police, along with many other constabularies, do not allow their officers to be a reservist in the British forces. Which puts me into a small dilemma.

Do I...

Stay in my full time job that I hate, but take refuge in the TA which I love.

Or

Leave both and join the police, making my overall working life happy and stable, but not having the TA?

I'm not sure, and although I'm a firm believer in people who post for advice on here have usually made up their mind already and are simply looking for additional reasons to back themselves up, I'd still like to hear what you lot think.

Cheers in advance.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 19:25   #2
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: GD Advice, Part... whatever.

Presumably there is some sort of cut-off point in terms of age for serving in the TA. In which case it's probably better if you start a career in the Police now, rather than later.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 19:27   #3
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: GD Advice, Part... whatever.

Yeah, but it's around 55 if I remember correctly, whereas I'd be retiring from the Police not long after that anyway.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 19:30   #4
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: GD Advice, Part... whatever.

But surely you won't want to have the inflexibility an instability of life in the TA until you're fifty-five?

I'd go for the police, tbh. It seems like it would provide practically all the things you enjoy about life in the TA without the attendant nuisance of working away from home, coming home to the other job you hate, etc.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:02   #5
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The concept of taking a more administrative position within the police force, as opposed to an active beat cop situation, arises in this instance. Would such a position force you again to leave the TA?
In his zeal to discover the Snark
Kurashima is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:34   #6
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

You can retire after 30 years in the Polis on a decent pension which is :coolio:

However i wouldnt want to do it as i wouldnt like the stigma of being a copper.

However if you want to do it then the job seems to be a good one Skiddy.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:38   #7
Deathjam|wee
Weeeeee

Deathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura aboutDeathjam|wee has a spectacular aura about

basicaly it comes down to in the ta do u get to shoot guns play with explosives and drive tanks if yes stay there if no go join the police

One load of gollums is enough for anyone.Ta
DM.
Deathjam|wee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:38   #8
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

the police have mandatory drug testing too dont they? pff

anyway, umm, go with the police. The problem with the army, as im sure i said many times last sunday, is that "YOU MIGHT DIE"
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:41   #9
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Based on the advice of my dad who's been a policeman since he was 19, he's now 44, I wouldn't join the police because of all the shit you have to put up with.

That is unless, you do an advanced drivers course and become an area car driver in which you get to do high speed pursuits and suchlike, this is the part my dad really loves. 60mph through a crowded city centre, there is nothing it apparently. One day, a tornado pilot fromt eh raf was taking a ride in the back of my dads car and he said it was far more exhilarating than flying his tornado because of the proximity and skill.

In addition to this, there are lots of oppurtunities within the police force. You can become an armed response team geezer and suchlike which all have their worth.

Furthermore, I think, although I'm not one hundred per cent sure, that the starting wages in UK police forces are among the best in the country.

As long as you're not one of those ****s of a rozzer that you do get, I think its a good career choice to make and it provides you with a good amount of job security provided you don't **** up.
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 20:48   #10
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

well, with the army experience, with any luck he'll get to be the violent kind of copper

\o/
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:16   #11
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurashima
The concept of taking a more administrative position within the police force, as opposed to an active beat cop situation, arises in this instance. Would such a position force you again to leave the TA?
I think the RMP experience would put me less likely to be placed in an administrative position.

I also don't think I would be the kind of copper who would be vengeful, I think although I would be fair and uphold the law, I'd also like I say take into account the surrounding circumstances.

I dunno. I think I just need a change in my life's direction.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:17   #12
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

Personally I think stick with TA. My old man was in the force for thirty years till they forced him into retirement, and the only thing he has ever told me is not to join the police force.
The whole job is now reams and reams of paperwork just to take a p*ss whilst on duty, plus you have the now mandatory backstabbing when it comes to reaching arrest quotas.
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:25   #13
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I always think about joining the police, I think it'd give my life more purpose.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:30   #14
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Timeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really niceTimeline is just really nice

Just thought, how about joining the army full time? You'd get all the pro's of the TA and you're more likely to get the chance to shoot someone than you would in the police.....that is to say if you didn't get transferred to salford first chance the police got.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:34   #15
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
Just thought, how about joining the army full time? You'd get all the pro's of the TA and you're more likely to get the chance to shoot someone than you would in the police.....that is to say if you didn't get transferred to salford first chance the police got.
I've thought about that, and it would be amazing I'm sure, but I enjoy my social freedoms too much. The ability to go out on a night with friends. The driving range or my local golf course. I know I'd be working shifts in the Police which would affect this but not too badly.

I also know that in the Army I'd get time off, but the old saying is when you're not working you're eating, when you're not eating you're sleeping.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:39   #16
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Armed forces have monster leave. Mate from school is a mechanic in air force and is based in Norwich, yet he still has that much time off he can buy a place in our home town in derbyshire and still socialise every fortnight. The general rule of thumb is unless you are posted abroad it is a mon - fri job unless you are very unlucky.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:43   #17
skiddy
wild one

The RAF and the Army differ greatly in terms of leave and time off. Trust me on that one.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:49   #18
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Fair point. In the end however the decision is ultimately yours to make and you must decide whether you want a mundane life with an alter ego, live your alter ego 24/7, or change your main job to something else that isn't police orientated and stick with the TA.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 21:57   #19
skiddy
wild one

Thats the catching point there, I'm not qualified nor skilled to do anything else. It's a two way choice. Police and no TA or TA and a mindnumbingly boring Computer related job.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 22:11   #20
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

ah. Well in that case i suggest that you start practicing your handbrake turns for your high speed pursuits.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 22:13   #21
skiddy
wild one

Heh, yeah I'll head out now and try that
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 22:21   #22
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Anyway think yourself lucky. I can't stand teenagers..... I work at a theme park......and a damn career test i took last night told me i should teach physics to the little b*ggers. Life is just one long ironic joke.
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 22:24   #23
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic
I work at a theme park......
Alton Towers?
American Adventure? (seeing as you live in Derbyshire)
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 22:36   #24
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

i love american adventures i got stuck on the blue thing there for 30mins
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Sep 2004, 23:31   #25
Demon Dave
Insanity Prawn Boy!

Demon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriendDemon Dave needs a job and a girlfriend

skiddy, even though you like your social life, if i were you i'd join the RMP full time. or if you really really don't want to do that then i would join the fuzz and try to get into the Armed Response Unit
We shall remember them.
Demon Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 02:29   #26
Sunday8pm
Banned

Sunday8pm is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are a police officer you will unfortunately find yourself in many situations where you can't use the means you'd desire to defend yourself, some constabularies are also underfunded and I don't know if there is much racism in the TA but there is in the police force unfortuantely.

If I were you I'd stick with what you got, not everyone in life is ultimately happy with the occupation they get but if you can be part happy with what you are getting paid for that's more than 95% of the world.

At least with the RMP you have a lot of absolute power over situations imo, especially in warfare situations.
Sunday8pm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 07:38   #27
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, join the filth (although as an anti-statist I'd have to hate you, sorry). The pay is reasonable compared to many other professions and I know in London there are quite a few other benefits (free-travel on public transport, subsidised housing in some areas, etc). Plus it sounds like the sort of thing you'd like to do.

You're not locked into the police force obviously, you can leave - there are plenty of jobs in private security companies, etc for people with police experience. There's an ex-copper who works for my company (Housing Association) and deals with anti-social behaviour.

Obviously most of your time as a police officer would be spent having effectively to appease moronic members of the public when really you'd want to be smashing their face in with a metal bar. You know this right?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 07:42   #28
Timeline
Dreamer in Pit of Hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embroglio
i love american adventures i got stuck on the blue thing there for 30mins
How long ago mate? It was probably me who got you stuck on the bloody thing.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 12:48   #29
Hells_Angel
Lost on Mars

Hells_Angel is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiddy
So, I've been thinking for a little while now. I love the TA, its one of my top three life things. Great fun, challenging and adventurous. I despise my actual full time job. It's boring, poorly paid, same shit - different day and doesn't interest me, but I'm good at it.
So whats the other two top things in your life then?
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 12:50   #30
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Angel
I'm guessing bum-sex is one.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 14:47   #31
madi
a little bit broken

madi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better placemadi single handedly makes these forums a better place

my brother is a marine
he has a lot of social time off
though most of it is spent drinking and shagging lots of women rather than playing golf
(though not atm as he is in iraq being shot at etc)

or get a less crap day time job and stay with the TA
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 17:56   #32
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells_Angel
1 - My friends, or more specifically Mark, Sharron, Zoe and Amy - in that order for precise-ness.
2 - The TA
3 - Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by madi
or get a less crap day time job and stay with the TA
I could do this, but as I've said the only thing I'm qualified to do is IT related, and I hate the industry - computers < *.

Other than playing golf professionally, which I don't think I'm quite capable of doing (yet), the Armed Forces full time - already unlikely option - or Police / Fire Brigade (if desperate!) are the only choices left.

I could re-train I suppose but I don't really want to go through that.

Could I also just mention that I'm both humbled and impressed that no one has posted "I used to have a Police album." Editors Note : Thats because its not actually funny

Last edited by Kurashima; 6 Sep 2004 at 18:46.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 18:44   #33
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Kurashima has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Skiddy, fly over here for some Golf. Ill give you a few rounds.

There are more courses per head of population here than anywhere else in the UK.

Oh, and being good at golf is a sure fire way to move up the ranks in the Police Force.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 18:47   #34
skiddy
wild one

Heh give me a couple of month to pay off my holiday and I might just do that

As for now though I'm heading off to the driving range, either yesterday was a work of miracle or I've found my way of getting 95% of drives straight and true.

Oh I'm excited!

Oh the horrific disappointment when I end up on the 3rd green from the range.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 18:53   #35
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Heh give me a couple of month to pay off my holiday and I might just do that

As for now though I'm heading off to the driving range, either yesterday was a work of miracle or I've found my way of getting 95% of drives straight and true.

Oh I'm excited!

Oh the horrific disappointment when I end up on the 3rd green from the range.
I cannot hit a ball straight. Hence i adjust my game accordingly, and aim myself wide right to take into account the massive hook i get. Playing cackhanded gets you some strange looks.

Short game isnt half bad though, and my putting is my saving grace.

BTW , next time youre in Asda or Tesco or whatever, buy half a dozen really cheap toothbrushes. The day before a game, get the brushes out and clean down your irons with them. Youd be amazed at the amount of gunk you get out of it, and it really does help your confidence and your game to play with new looking clubs.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 18:58   #36
skiddy
wild one

Heh us two round a course should be interesting then!

How's about we take it in turns, you play the short game and I'll play the tee shots. I've always hated pitch and putt!

You should be proud of yourself though, apparently only 1/4 golfers hook their shots - most slice them. My dad's like that too though, when they dont go straight they pull a left sided curve and end up going parallel with him!

Still, after however long of that, he's getting very good at playing irons from the rough!
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 19:06   #37
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Heh us two round a course should be interesting then!

How's about we take it in turns, you play the short game and I'll play the tee shots. I've always hated pitch and putt!

You should be proud of yourself though, apparently only 1/4 golfers hook their shots - most slice them. My dad's like that too though, when they dont go straight they pull a left sided curve and end up going parallel with him!

Still, after however long of that, he's getting very good at playing irons from the rough!
Yeh , i can hit an 8 Iron 140 yards out the rough, and usually place it within 20 feet of where i want it.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 20:17   #38
KaneED
Motherfracker

KaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond reputeKaneED has a reputation beyond repute

Btw, shift work really ****s with your life. A lot. I've gone a week without seeing my dad even though we live in the same house because of the shift work he does
KaneED is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 20:47   #39
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Yeh , i can hit an 8 Iron 140 yards out the rough, and usually place it within 20 feet of where i want it.
Thats quite impressive.

My iron shots are my weakest by far. Putting is pretty good, driving is in the zone at the moment, although I was concentrating too much on power tonight and have hurt my elbow slightly - I'll give it a few days or so and get back down there.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:13   #40
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Thats quite impressive.

My iron shots are my weakest by far. Putting is pretty good, driving is in the zone at the moment, although I was concentrating too much on power tonight and have hurt my elbow slightly - I'll give it a few days or so and get back down there.
Not as impressive as it seems. Place me on a completely flat fairway and give me a 3 iron, and it bobbles straight down the middle for 30 yards before stopping dead. I can get right under stuff in the rough and such, but no such luck when its flat.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:18   #41
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
There are more courses per head of population here than anywhere else in the UK.
You're love for the IOM is getting close to Sunday's love for Canada, which I find slightly disturbing.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:20   #42
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Join the Army and follow the Americans into certain death Skiddy!
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:31   #43
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
You're love for the IOM is getting close to Sunday's love for Canada, which I find slightly disturbing.
Stew , ive made an equal amount of critical and positive comments on the IOM since i got here my man. I love it for the golf and the sports, but i have issues elsewhere with other aspects.

Do try and keep up.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:34   #44
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Not as impressive as it seems. Place me on a completely flat fairway and give me a 3 iron, and it bobbles straight down the middle for 30 yards before stopping dead. I can get right under stuff in the rough and such, but no such luck when its flat.
Just take a great chunk of the fairway with you and watch it fly!

Saying that, I also have played a few shots in my life where I've hit the ball center on with the bottom leading edge of the club face - there's not much you can do other than watch it bounce along the fairway for a few moments.

You could always think about getting some lessons on fairway irons.

Your hooks should be relatively easy to solve too, as I've found opening the clubface counteracts the spin. That may just be me though as I don't naturally hook them, I used to slice. Closing the clubface worked for me on that though so logic 'should' dictate...
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 21:52   #45
Kurashima
Has Soup On His Head

Quote:
Just take a great chunk of the fairway with you and watch it fly!

Saying that, I also have played a few shots in my life where I've hit the ball center on with the bottom leading edge of the club face - there's not much you can do other than watch it bounce along the fairway for a few moments.

You could always think about getting some lessons on fairway irons.

Your hooks should be relatively easy to solve too, as I've found opening the clubface counteracts the spin. That may just be me though as I don't naturally hook them, I used to slice. Closing the clubface worked for me on that though so logic 'should' dictate...
Opening the clubface when you play cackhanded delivers enough slice to open up every can of beans in the UK.

Its not the best of ideas, and when i do slice, its magnified 100 times.
Unread 6 Sep 2004, 23:32   #46
skiddy
wild one

Quote:
Opening the clubface when you play cackhanded delivers enough slice to open up every can of beans in the UK.

Its not the best of ideas, and when i do slice, its magnified 100 times.
Heh well it must be something that you're doing wrong. Looping the club at the top of your backswing, standing too close to the ball, leaning too far into the swing.

Find out what it is and you cure your hook.

I know that's easier said than done...!!