User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 17 Jan 2009, 14:07   #51
ArcChas
General (Adjective Army)

ArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud ofArcChas has much to be proud of
Re: Omac

I'd advise against making things "awkward" for OMAC just to be spiteful. That would only make it more likely that they'd withdraw the "offer" of allowing the PATeam to keep the code.
Knights of the Green Shield R99 | Look Out of The Window R100 | Most of All R102
Hard of Hearing (2:7:1) R103 | The Lateness of Your Application (1:6:6) R104 | Kinnison of Tellus (5:1:2) R105
ArcChas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 14:48   #52
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

its a bit of a misnomer to blame omac for things anyway - Jolt are the ones who killed the game through a continued lack of investment and support. Omac have simply put the game out of its misery.
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 17:48   #53
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I am gutted.. Really sad to see PA go. There was plans from Spinner to make a new version last year, and this might accelerate his plans. Go talk to him, or get Xontas to get a hold of him. Maybe they can sort something out.
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 18:06   #54
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

How does one contact Spinner?

PA could do with a shakeup anyway. There's a chance that an updated game with the planetarion playerbase could be more interesting.
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 18:31   #55
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Gate, DLR stood for Dark Lord Rising? Seriously?
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 19:34   #56
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

Well this sucks.

Having not played PA back in "the good old days", I'm curious what it is about Spinner that everyone seems to think is so special? Is he some kind of gaming messiah, is he really going to be "the saviour" of PA?
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 19:37   #57
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Well tbh, i am really anoyed by this and Omac as a company have really pissed me off. To buy into a game they knew full well they wouldnt take any further although these false hopes they gave on the forums etc.

This game has been around for years but unfortunatly is slowly died. But i went let Omac keep the name. And as i told lunar on irc and any other pa team/rep thats around or even the idiots from Omac. I want to see a contact detail for the representative off omac as i want to speak to them regarding putting in a serious offer for the rights too PA, therefore PA Team can then be given back the game and we can continue to try and keep this game alive. (no this isnt a joke, people who know me know well enough ive played every round, including admined the game, ive got quite a bit of spare cash atm hence why i pay for 50+ credits every round to keep the game alive and really could offer a decent offer to omac.)

But otherwise Omac... what a disgrace.

Assassin

Ever been attacked by a p3nguin? You get left a bit black and white!

p3nguin Founder
Assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 19:49   #58
smith-

smith- is an unknown quantity at this point

Assassin, you're a tool.

But as long as you're a rich tool we'll all love you!

-Kenny
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 19:50   #59
Assassin
PA Ancient

Assassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant futureAssassin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith- View Post
Assassin, you're a tool.

But as long as you're a rich tool we'll all love you!

-Kenny
lol cheeky shit. Tbh i wudnt ask for anything in return other then to maybe be an admin ofc again, but id keep the same situation now and give all rights to pa team etc, as they already have the code they may as well have the name and assets too. Its owed to them and us.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 20:02   #60
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
lol cheeky shit. Tbh i wudnt ask for anything in return other then to maybe be an admin ofc again, but id keep the same situation now and give all rights to pa team etc, as they already have the code they may as well have the name and assets too. Its owed to them and us.
as lovely as that would be for u to buy up, could u create a consortium of players with enough spare so that if things do look dodgy in a year or so you havent spent a huge chunk of that money on your own ?
u know i wub ya, and i'm just concerned for your future
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 20:12   #61
Assassin
PA Ancient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistwraith View Post
as lovely as that would be for u to buy up, could u create a consortium of players with enough spare so that if things do look dodgy in a year or so you havent spent a huge chunk of that money on your own ?
u know i wub ya, and i'm just concerned for your future
Well tbh i wudnt exactly see it as wasted. A group lead by spinner a few rounds back i think did actually want to buy back PA but were turned down. So unless somone can contact him and maybe we could come up with somthing, but otherwise i have no problems if the price is right and we have an offical word to speak terms with omac myself.

p3nguin Founder
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 20:24   #62
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar View Post
Pretty much. As a group, it stands for Dark Lords Rising.
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 21:12   #63
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

When you put this offer in for OMAC you can set up a donation-poll of some kind. ill throw ya some money if you keep it running
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 21:26   #64
africa5000

africa5000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^ View Post
its a bit of a misnomer to blame omac for things anyway - Jolt are the ones who killed the game through a continued lack of investment and support. Omac have simply put the game out of its misery.
Mistake is a more accurate term.
What OMAC are doing is worse. They're not just refusing to invest in the game after implicitly suggesting they would, but they're not even letting anyone else invest in it. Assuming the offer that was made to them was reasonable then it's a far worse thing to do than what Jolt did. Not only that, but selling credits for games that no longer exist is somethng unique to OMAC as far as I'm aware, and a really shitty thing to do.
africa5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 21:41   #65
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assassin View Post
Well tbh, i am really anoyed by this and Omac as a company have really pissed me off. To buy into a game they knew full well they wouldnt take any further although these false hopes they gave on the forums etc.

This game has been around for years but unfortunatly is slowly died. But i went let Omac keep the name. And as i told lunar on irc and any other pa team/rep thats around or even the idiots from Omac. I want to see a contact detail for the representative off omac as i want to speak to them regarding putting in a serious offer for the rights too PA, therefore PA Team can then be given back the game and we can continue to try and keep this game alive. (no this isnt a joke, people who know me know well enough ive played every round, including admined the game, ive got quite a bit of spare cash atm hence why i pay for 50+ credits every round to keep the game alive and really could offer a decent offer to omac.)

But otherwise Omac... what a disgrace.

Assassin
I'm sure that if you got the ball rolling you'd be able to find quite a lot of players who are willing to offer Ģ10-Ģ20 to get the name back
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 22:17   #66
Zaejii
This Space for Rent
Speedy Thief Champion, Turbo Turtle Champion, Cop-For-This Champion

Zaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud ofZaejii has much to be proud of

i'm not quite sure why someone would want to buy the name of a game thats been around for 10 years myself. /shrug.
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 22:29   #67
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Just becuase I'm bored with people asking for contact details for omac - use google:

OMAC Industries,
32 Pearse St.,
Dublin 2,
Ireland
Tel: +353-1-672-9626
Fax: +353-1-686-4954

Email: [email protected]

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2009, 22:54   #68
smith-

smith- is an unknown quantity at this point

Assman's volunteering to help pay for the name back. Getting the name back would help ensure that the game lasts just that little bit longer, but is the cost worth it?

OMAC obviously intend to use the name for something else. And given their forté, it's highly likely we'd see another MMPOG come to the fore.

To us, we can change the name of the game and continue with a similar version to what we have just now. In doing so, we risk losing a sizeable proportion of our already dwindling playerbase. Then of course when 'Planetarion' comes back in its new form, we then risk losing another significant amount of players to that.

As OMAC have shown, the name 'Planetarion' is of much more marketable value than the game istself is as it stands. Some people have mentioned figures upwards of Ģ10,000 for the name.

I'm sorry, but PA being worth Ģ10,000? Please.....
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 15:26   #69
ReligFree

ReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to allReligFree is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal View Post
Just becuase I'm bored with people asking for contact details for omac - use google:

OMAC Industries,
32 Pearse St.,
Dublin 2,
Ireland
Tel: +353-1-672-9626
Fax: +353-1-686-4954

Email: [email protected]
They're bloody Irish, well that explains it then. Oh and price as far as I've got from people is Ģ20k for the brand & assets.
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 16:10   #70
Gate
;D!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith- View Post

I'm sorry, but PA being worth Ģ10,000? Please.....
1,000 paying players at Ģ3.33 per round, with 5 paid rounds per year = Ģ16.7k per year income.

It probably doesn't cost that much to run. I'd be surprised if it cost Ģ10k. So Ģ10k asking price would be under 2 years of net income... share prices often value companies far higher than that.
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 16:20   #71
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

A thousand paying players is a bit overestimated I think, but Ģ10k a year should be doable.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 16:25   #72
WreCkeRer

WreCkeRer can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaNzI View Post
When you put this offer in for OMAC you can set up a donation-poll of some kind. ill throw ya some money if you keep it running
im willing to donate some money too...
R19: [Myth] 9:10:14 Planet Rank: 620 || Galaxy Rank: 1 || Alliance Rank: 18
R21: |Lost| 18:4:12 Planet Rank: 861 || Galaxy Rank: 13 || Alliance Rank: 19
R28: [Orbit] 3:10:4 Planet Rank: 467 || Galaxy Rank: 40 || Alliance Rank: 15
R29: [NewDawn] 10:6:2 Planet Rank: 232 || Galaxy Rank: 18 || Alliance Rank: 4
R30: [Orbit] 9:2:21 Planet Rank: 617 || Galaxy Rank: 14 || Alliance Rank: 7
WreCkeRer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 18:46   #73
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold

If anyone wants to donate some cash to me i will go round and brick in OMACs office windows, seeing as i live fairly close. The donations will help fund the purchase of bricks and a balaclava
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2009, 19:07   #74
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

You'd be better off starting with a new name and investing in that instead of wasting your money in trying to get the Planetarion name back.

What use is the name? Whilst I'm sure thousands of people have played the game since it started, they'll probably be thinking "nah, won't bother with that game again". Every Ģ1,000 spent on getting the name/domain could probably host the game for an entire year without having to beg for donations to keep it running.

As you've mentioned, the game could probably generate Ģ10k of revenue a year, which is a shame that the game has been locked up with Jolt/OMAC for so long. A single developer could probably spend half their development time on the game to improve it and get enough money to pay themselves. They'd have the motivation to do genuine improvements as it would directly affect them, instead of it being part of a larger company who doesn't really give a shit about it as it would need to cover the wages of a developer and make a profit afterwards.

It's a shame that this has happened though, as even though the people running Galaxytarion (or whatever it gets called) are the same, people might end up using this as an easy excuse to quit which would further harm the game.
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 05:31   #75
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute

A fair point.

I for one would be more than happy to pay for a round of "whatever is the new PA" as I'm sure many would be, provided it wasn't shit.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 09:33   #76
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future

i work round the corner from them , i can deliver a message to their office , whether it's a brick or an offer to buy pa you guys decide
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 09:49   #77
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gzambo View Post
i work round the corner from them , i can deliver a message to their office , whether it's a brick or an offer to buy pa you guys decide
I suggest a bag full of shit...
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 10:08   #78
Veedeejem!
Hibernating

Veedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond reputeVeedeejem! has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil View Post
I suggest a bag full of shit...
Ah yes, the old burning bag of shit trick, that usually causes some hilarious moments.

[ToF] - [eXilition] - [Rock] - [Denial] - [DLR] - [eVolution] - [ODDR] - [HR] - [Ultores] - [Apprime] - [Ironborn]
Veedeejem! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 10:14   #79
Crowly
Orbit HC

Crowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to beholdCrowly is a splendid one to behold

If history has taught us anything it's that no good has or will come of Ireland.
Crowly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 10:50   #80
HaNzI
Apprime Troll HC

HaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura aboutHaNzI has a spectacular aura about

I like this change tbh. Now the PA-team can work for themselves and perhaps they can eventually get paid for their work! Finally the game is owned by the PA-team again!
Drop by the ircchannel for the "new" game and show some support. They also need some donations to get the game up and running, but once its up i dont see how it can go wrong if the players stay
HaNzI is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 10:54   #81
Game^

Game^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to beholdGame^ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowly View Post
If history has taught us anything it's that no good has or will come of Ireland.
Guinness!

Oh and JBG's mum!
Game^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 12:01   #82
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

As a comment, we have 4 rounds per year that are paid (and a 5th free round).
Round 28 was the first time we dropped below 1k paid accounts per year. The changes in Round 20 changed the paid/free balance more in favour of free accounts, but since Round 20 paid accounts have dropped by say 200 and free accounts have dropped by nearer 500-600.
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 12:50   #83
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of

Did last rounds change to free planets have much effect though ?
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 23:32   #84
bullbars
Bullbars

bullbars is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinoa View Post
If anyone wants to donate some cash to me i will go round and brick in OMACs office windows, seeing as i live fairly close. The donations will help fund the purchase of bricks and a balaclava

Ahh c'mon Riona,

its Pearse Street ,

what do you need donations for , theres bound to be a few bricks (even holding up repossessed cars) knockin around that part of the city. Sure whadda ya need the balaclava for , the lads have all the camera's gutted too .
__(@)(@)_________(@)(@)__(@)___ Keep On Truckin' !!
bullbars is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 23:47   #85
Gate
;D!

Things that sound sensible:

People who worked on Planetarion, so you could use 'from the people behind Planetarion...' or something similar (& legal)

Get alliances to move over

Netgamers still?

A lot of the code could still be useful, but a few changes could be made that would have been much harder due to the 'traditions' of planetarion. For example, are M/C/E really needed? Why not just have roids/resources? And changes to the tech tree, scanning etc.
Unread 19 Jan 2009, 23:51   #86
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Look, in all seriousness.

While PA team run the game, the game is in a state where running the game isn't enough (and this is no criticism of anyone, as this is not the time). Without players, you can run and develop the game engine all you like, it'll mean nothing. People need to be brought in, to firstly decide what market you're going to target, work out how PA can be made to target that market, implement that, then have a concerted effort to bring players in.

You'll also need someone who is respected to keep the current players onside, as you'll need their support. The community we've got left (as seen by the outrage on this thread) is pretty supportive of the game. Persisting with the same management team (who need some help) won't change anything. And sometimes the people in charge, will have to learn to shut up or just accept what they're being told, as the game needs a different direction if you want it to survive.

The name's pretty irrelevant.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 01:39   #87
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light

lol, in 2 days you've managed to generate 2 pages of outrage.

It's dead... Get over it.

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 02:03   #88
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

To be honest, games like PA aren't "cool" anymore and it'd be impossible or damn hard to bring in new players who haven't played games like these before (of course some will, but very few). The only chance 'you' have is to bring back old players who are looking for a piece of nostalgia. Forget about the people who didn't grow up with the "release" of internet, they won't come.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 04:18   #89
t3k
The Video Guy

t3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond reputet3k has a reputation beyond repute

Turns out a guy I used to go to school with and hadn't seen in 4 years before prior to university but now regularly wipe the floor with at pool used to play Planetarion.

He was asking about coming back and I said "The last round starts Friday".

His response: "If its the last round the game's clearly dead, so I wont bother."

Says it all really.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 13:47   #90
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken View Post
Look, in all seriousness.

While PA team run the game, the game is in a state where running the game isn't enough (and this is no criticism of anyone, as this is not the time). Without players, you can run and develop the game engine all you like, it'll mean nothing. People need to be brought in, to firstly decide what market you're going to target, work out how PA can be made to target that market, implement that, then have a concerted effort to bring players in.

You'll also need someone who is respected to keep the current players onside, as you'll need their support. The community we've got left (as seen by the outrage on this thread) is pretty supportive of the game. Persisting with the same management team (who need some help) won't change anything. And sometimes the people in charge, will have to learn to shut up or just accept what they're being told, as the game needs a different direction if you want it to survive.

The name's pretty irrelevant.
I do agree with you lokken, the game definatly needs a revamp, and in my opinion the game will need someone like Spinner who is well known by veteran PA players, and also known for dedication and love for games like this. Round "31" needs to start after a serious amount of playtesting and redevelopment of the game. If it's good enough, even I might be lured back.. (allthough I doubt it) One thing though, the most important thing will be to either make a new forum, or keep this one alive still so that the developers can keep the community informed about any news.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 15:25   #91
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

I say just release the code and let the people provide everything. With linux and the like, the community provide a lot of support.

You could ask people for suggetions on what they want to see, and then anyone can attempt to put that idea into to the code, then the devs can look to see which is the best one.

I would love to get hold of the code, and have a fiddle around.

As gate said above we dont need the M/C/E res names, just Roids/Credits, less coding and easier on the stats makers.

But then we all need a bigger player base, but you could make it more attractive with the help of the community.

I think the biggest problem is giving so much away for free (game wise), their is no incentive to pay for a full account.

Most MMO's give you a few weeks free and then ask you to pay to play.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 16:09   #92
M0RPH3US
idle

M0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really niceM0RPH3US is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLobster View Post
I say just release the code and let the people provide everything. With linux and the like, the community provide a lot of support.

You could ask people for suggetions on what they want to see, and then anyone can attempt to put that idea into to the code, then the devs can look to see which is the best one.

I would love to get hold of the code, and have a fiddle around.

As gate said above we dont need the M/C/E res names, just Roids/Credits, less coding and easier on the stats makers.

But then we all need a bigger player base, but you could make it more attractive with the help of the community.

I think the biggest problem is giving so much away for free (game wise), their is no incentive to pay for a full account.

Most MMO's give you a few weeks free and then ask you to pay to play.
i donīt think the payment really is an issue to gain/keep more players playing this game.
Even though there was free accounts (more or less playable) the playerbase dropped every round.
Ofc its easier to gain new players when the game is fully free to play, but i dont think gaining new players ever was the problem.
The Problem always was to keep those ppl playing.

Now serious, what is PA, what u got to do ? lets forget about the startup phase (which is pretty interesting with initing roids, starting new researches and stuff, followed by a shuffle and getting to know your new galmates), but whats after that ?
You launch your fleets and then wait like 7-10 hours (or even more in start) until you see a combat report. you are happy or sad however it turned out and then got to wait the same time again until the fleet is back. Meanwhile u can idle on IRC...

What about introducing a game system where u actually have to develope your planet further and further ?
I am thinkin of doing it in real time, like its done in so many other games, click production of the new metal mine and it says it will be completed in 0:15:00 h...
Keep the fleetmovement to 1h ticks, but do the rest in real time, introduce more things to build on your planet, introduce a use of your population, watch em grow. Introduce some special weapons you can research, like sending a bomb causing an earthquake on your hostiles planet destroying building and population there.
There is millions of things which can be done, add something to the game to do beetween waiting for your fleet to arrive and you will make the game interesting for many many more player (including those not beeing able to spend their european nights in front of the PC waiting for incs to pop up)

I know many of us love the game for their simpleness, but hey we are ppl who played pacman for hours and hours in our youth. Nowadays you need more then 4 ghosts running after you and some dots to eat while moving left, right, up and down.

"Itīs not about how hard u hit, its about how hard u can get hit and still keep moving forward! How much u can take and still move forward!"
M0RPH3US is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 17:27   #93
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

This is hardly the time to discuss redeveloping the game. These ideas have been floating around for ages, and as long as the code and creative direction stays in the hands of the current PA Team, you might as well forget things like this.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 18:53   #94
Elevator
Crackhead

Elevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the roughElevator is a jewel in the rough

You could always just go over to [censored] instead. Pretty much same as PA.

I could consider donating 5k to have someone egg/brick/shit Omac (preferably also ex-Jolt) offices for as long as someone would bother. But I would not donate anything to buy the game. Simply a poor investment.

Last edited by lokken; 20 Jan 2009 at 21:58.
Elevator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 19:30   #95
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

This is a good time for Spinner to come around isnt it?
he could get the code from the Pa admins, run that one a round or 2 under a new name while working on changes for something new.. Try to get some publicity, I know Lassem ( spinner ) managed V well to get it for Maanagerleague in the norwegian press. It miiight be doable again?

Just getting spinner back as head figure would get quite a few players back, and I know he would be the one to make PA / whatever ti would be called a better game with more than 1k players

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 20:14   #96
Minty
Who?

Minty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant futureMinty has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar View Post
It actually stands for

Docklands Light Railway.

<Bobzy> Minty, you have a line for everything
<Queen> MINTY ROCKS
<Ice-Lady> minty is a odd boy
<Game> Minty rocks
<Queen> no minty..cos u rock
<HobbieRogue4> Minty, you stone!
Minty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 20:35   #97
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator View Post
You could always just go over to [censored] instead. Pretty much same as PA.
Er, what?
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.

Last edited by lokken; 20 Jan 2009 at 21:58.
Unread 20 Jan 2009, 21:44   #98
Nadar
I see you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
It actually stands for

Docklands Light Railway.
Damn, you ate a comedian for dinner?
Unread 23 Jan 2009, 11:47   #99
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardaukar View Post
lol, in 2 days you've managed to generate 2 pages of outrage.

It's dead... Get over it.
The fact that this thread isn't 50 pages long already speaks volumes about why they're closing it. No point flogging a dead horse, is there?

Sounds like PA got Effed in the A.
Unread 23 Jan 2009, 11:57   #100
Mzyxptlk
mz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welshy View Post
The fact that this thread isn't 50 pages long already speaks volumes about why they're closing it.
Or maybe it just isn't the ****ing crime of the century, I dunno.