User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 20 Jan 2004, 14:09   #1
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice
Most pointless lawsuit buy microsoft evah!

http://www.mikerowesoft.com/

:BillyGatesisafkinggeniusitellsye:
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 14:30   #2
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Most pointless lawsuit buy microsoft evah!

Hmmm,clearly microsoft are bastards but the guy is inexperienced and he may be on shakey ground. Some 17 year old kid against a couple of million dollars worth of lawyers.
I dont fancy his chances much.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:07   #3
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

Actually the reason this guy got MS bothered is because they wanted to buy the domain for the domain price (£10) and Mr Rowe made an offer to MS of £10,000 for his site. MS jumped on this and are now accusing him of cybersquatting rather than just using the site for his work.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:25   #4
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

what does microsoft want with customers who misspell their company name that badly anyways?
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:32   #5
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjC
Actually the reason this guy got MS bothered is because they wanted to buy the domain for the domain price (£10) and Mr Rowe made an offer to MS of £10,000 for his site. MS jumped on this and are now accusing him of cybersquatting rather than just using the site for his work.
The 10k he asked for wasn't just to cover the name of the site, but all the work he's invested in the business thus far with the existing branding and reputation that goes with it.
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:34   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjC
Mr Rowe made an offer to MS of £10,000 for his site.
I don't understand why this is considered unreasonable. They have lots of money, they want his domain, he offers 10k. What's the prob?
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:39   #7
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

So does that mean that anyone called 'Mike Rowe' can't form his own software company, and name it after himself?

Yes, let's allow a multinational corporation remove the right of a person to establish a company in his own name!

On the face of it MS's claims seem so inconsistent it hurts.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 15:42   #8
Grimble v2.0
Bernard Black

Grimble v2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Your thread title makes no sense
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 16:03   #9
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Most pointless lawsuit buy microsoft evah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
I don't understand why this is considered unreasonable. They have lots of money, they want his domain, he offers 10k. What's the prob?
Quickly offering to sell it (assuming he did), might suggest he has no real use for it and is just domain squatting.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 16:05   #10
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

he didnt offer to sell it though
they said

'give it us now'

he said 'no'

they said '$10?'

he said, 'lol, no, i've spent a lot of time on this etc, i'td have to be liek 10k to cover me'

they started court proceedings.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 17:44   #11
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Which is why whenever a corporation contacts you, you say, let me contact my lawyer first before I answer any of your requests or questions. With regards to you having something they want.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 17:46   #12
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

unless your 17, and have no idea that that is what you should do.
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 17:52   #13
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I wonder do they hand out the black hearts made of pure evil after you graduate from Law School or when your enroll?
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 17:55   #14
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
Quickly offering to sell it (assuming he did), might suggest he has no real use for it and is just domain squatting.
If only we had this attitude with land law
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 18:00   #15
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSBOT3
unless your 17, and have no idea that that is what you should do.
If you can use the internet and develop websites at the age of 17 then you should be ****ing responsible enough to prepare for said situations.

If you can decide if you want to have sex by that age then you can decide to make sure you don't get ****ed in the ass by corporation by that age too.

If you are incapable of one I reckon you should be incapable of the other.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 20 Jan 2004, 18:01   #16
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

(presumably this is an independent law firm only loosely associated with
MS as in similar cases, I haven't looked into it though)

Quote:
I don't understand what you are saying at all. I would sell you this laptop for £1000 without a moment's thought. Doesn't mean I don't use it.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 19:16   #17
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Which is why whenever a corporation contacts you, you say, let me contact my lawyer first before I answer any of your requests or questions. With regards to you having something they want.
Who here 'has' a lawyer?
I don't
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 19:18   #18
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Heh lawyers rock.

(Either do I)
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 19:45   #19
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Surely the issue here is whether people have the right to call companies in their own name, rather than anyone domain squatting. To allow this case to be successful would effectively allow a trademark to own any names similar sounding to that trademark and restrict person's rights as to creating a business.

Although in my view he isn't domain squatting, as his business grew a reputation from quality and his hard work, and the value of the domain went up as a result of the work he put in. At the very worst he should be made to put a disclaimer on his site saying he is not 'Microsoft' and a link redirecting the persons there. Such a compromise would remedy the problem, prevent needless costs, and he'd probably comply as it wouldn't cost him anything and he wouldn't want to take on the might of Microsoft.

The problem is that he fed MS a line, and they will take it all the way to court and probably win unless he can get himself a decent enough lawyer to get him out of the mess he's put himself in.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 19:58   #20
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

I'm usually against the 'lol m$ suxxxxxxx' crew, but that is really gay.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 20:05   #21
Phang
Aardvark is a funny word

Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Phang has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
what does microsoft want with customers who misspell their company name that badly anyways?
are you serious? since when has microsoft's target audience been intelligent people? or indeed, since when has bill gates not let out a quiet cheer every time a moron buys his products?*

*metaphorically speaking
How the Beaujolais is raining
Down on darkened meetings on the Champs Élysées
Phang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 20:28   #22
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
If only we had this attitude with land law
I'm not against domain squatting but neither am I against trademarks. The law (US anyway, dunno about other country's) says trademarks trump domains, so to the extent that mikerowesoft infringes on microsoft (it's clearly a homonym, but I'm not a lawyer) then Microsoft might have a case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Surely the issue here is whether people have the right to call companies in their own name, rather than anyone domain squatting. To allow this case to be successful would effectively allow a trademark to own any names similar sounding to that trademark and restrict person's rights as to creating a business.
Well, isn't that pretty much the whole point of trademarks? Otherwise, anyone with the name 'McDonald' could open their own hamburger stand and call it "McDonald's" (and of course, anyone could legally change their name to McDonald) so basically trademarks would cease to exist if anyone could call a company by their (current) name.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 20:47   #23
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

This guy is called Mike Rowe though, not Micro.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 21:06   #24
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:
Well, isn't that pretty much the whole point of trademarks? Otherwise, anyone with the name 'McDonald' could open their own hamburger stand and call it "McDonald's" (and of course, anyone could legally change their name to McDonald) so basically trademarks would cease to exist if anyone could call a company by their (current) name.
"This guy is called Mike Rowe though, not Micro." In the situation you describe it would be obviously who got there first, because that's the most practical way of dealing with things. It would also have to be in direct competition with whoever got there first to be in violation of any trademark, as to stop a mr.mcdonald setting up any non-hamburger business in his own name would be a silly idea.

You can't extend a trademark to 'anything that sounds phonetically like it' as then you get more than than you paid for. Extending a trademark beyond referring to the business and trade it specifically refers to impinges other's rights, when it should only serve to protect the person who owns the trademark, a shield not a sword if you will.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 22:27   #25
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

I'm going to paypal him a dollar when I get one
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:13   #26
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
"This guy is called Mike Rowe though, not Micro."
And "Pepsi" <> "Pepci", but if you tried to market a soft drink called Pepci I think you would find Pepsi's lawyers on your case PDQ.
Quote:
You can't extend a trademark to 'anything that sounds phonetically like it' as then you get more than than you paid for.
A trademark isn't simply a collection of letters (in the case of symbols, like the Nike swoosh, it's not any letters at all). If you can stop someone using a symbol that looks like your trademark then it doesn't seem impossible that you could stop them from using one that sounds like your trademark.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:17   #27
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

Quote:
And "Pepsi" <> "Pepci", but if you tried to market a soft drink called Pepci I think you would find Pepsi's lawyers on your case PDQ.
Pepsi and Pepci are two single words with a single letter change. Mike Rowe is nothing like Micro other than in the phoenetic sense of the words
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:17   #28
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
it's clearly a homonym, but I'm not a lawyer
Don't you mean homophone?

Firstly, Mike's site doesn't say anything about Microsoft, except the news updates. The similarity is purely phonetic, and only when spoken by an English speaker. Also, "Mike Rowe" and "Micro" are pronounced differently, one is (if you'll excuse my phonetic spelling) [maik.ro] and the other [mai.kro]. So while Microsoft have a case, to win they must prove that Mike bought the domain with the intent of selling it on: which he didn't (or so he says).
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:18   #29
Evergreen
the merciless

Heh I saw a D&D decorators yesterday.

Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:29   #30
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

i've been invited to a lawsuit for 22 march, the twat who hit me has been sued heh....looking forward to it already...
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:31   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I don't support the idea of trademarks, it seems like a silly idea to protect particularly business models.
Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:36   #32
Evergreen
the merciless

You know all we have to do is start using microsoft as part of language.

Much like how we call any vacuum cleaner a hoover, once it becomes part of the language they can no longer trademark it.

I would bring up relevent urls expressing my point better but I can't be arsed atm and I'd hope most of you would know what I'm talking about here.

Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:37   #33
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
i've been invited to a lawsuit for 22 march, the twat who hit me has been sued heh....looking forward to it already...
I hope he punches you again except puts the bridge of your nose through your brain so you stop posting irrelevant shit in threads like this.

Especially when you keep raising this fact like you won the ****ing lottery whereever you can. We stopped caring after your thread about this died.

Now let it die or you die whichever is best.

Unread 20 Jan 2004, 23:41   #34
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
Don't you mean homophone?
I think either works in this case, if one believes dictionary.com.
Quote:
Firstly, Mike's site doesn't say anything about Microsoft, except the news updates.
Not sure how relevant that is.
Quote:
The similarity is purely phonetic, and only when spoken by an English speaker. Also, "Mike Rowe" and "Micro" are pronounced differently, one is (if you'll excuse my phonetic spelling) [maik.ro] and the other [mai.kro].
They sound identical to me, as I pronounce them.
Quote:
So while Microsoft have a case, to win they must prove that Mike bought the domain with the intent of selling it on: which he didn't (or so he says).
If it ever actually goes to court...
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 00:12   #35
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

hi sunday when are you leaving to canada?
ps book tickets at flash airlines, they're cheap.
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 00:18   #36
lokken
BlueTuba

Quote:

A trademark isn't simply a collection of letters (in the case of symbols, like the Nike swoosh, it's not any letters at all). If you can stop someone using a symbol that looks like your trademark then it doesn't seem impossible that you could stop them from using one that sounds like your trademark.
But this is his name, he has the right to use it. If trademarks are denying the fundamental right to something as basic as a name and for its use in making your business, then the whole world has truly gone to piss. He has the right to call his webdesign company Mike Rowe Soft, as long as he doesn't claim to be anything to do with Microsoft or is approved by Microsoft.

My main argument here is that allowing Microsoft to win here would be flagrant breach of human rights/civil liberties without reasonable justification. As you say, a trademark exists to protect rights. I agree that trademarks are there to protect the rights of a brand - but should they go so far as to be used to impinge fundamental rights such as use of a name because of its (possibly phonetical) similarities?

If that name is flagrantly living off the brand (e.g. Mr McDonald and his hamburger stand - I'm not sure if Pepci is a name, as you have some odd names in the US, I suspect it isn't) and that a reasonable person could take one as the other, quite possibly. Otherwise, certainly not - 'Mike Rowe Soft' bares no comparison to 'microsoft', doesn't claim to be like microsoft, nor does it provide the service that Microsoft provide; it designs pages for you rather than giving you a program to design the pages. As i've said above, a disclaimer would probably sort this out quite nicely, as Mr.Rowe seems to be acting with good intentions, nor does he claim to or have anything to do with microsoft.
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 02:41   #37
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Whether or not it's your name doesn't matter at all.
It is important that trademarks look and sound different.
Is your argument that when you put two principles together they no longer hold?

And I doubt this is a serious case, but we'll see.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 03:47   #38
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Crisis averted!
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 05:39   #39
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Its their average user??
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 08:41   #40
Ebany
Cute Kitten

Ebany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of lightEbany is a glorious beacon of light

A while back KFC tried to sue a place called 'Kents Tuck-In Fried Chicken'.

I don't know who won. That was more of a blatant 'trying-to-make-it-sound-the-same' though.
Ebany is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 09:20   #41
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Whether or not it's your name doesn't matter at all.
If you are John Smith and set up a Mike-Rowe-Soft site then there's that much more evidence you have done this merely as a domain-squatting attempt. So it does matter.
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 12:09   #42
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

My point was that Microsoft could Spin (T&F you were right, but Im not a pheasant - thats a bird) the situation when he offered to sell the site for 10k, they clearly were using his quick reaction as a reason to sue.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/34955.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Rowe
“They responded to this email by offering to give me all of my out-of-pocket expenses in return for the domain name. This came out to be $10; the amount I paid for the domain. This made me feel insulted. I had spent a lot of time building up my site and I had only been offered $10 for my work. I responded by asking for $10,000, which I regret doing now, for my work and domain name.”
I guess MS have revoked this now.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/35012.html
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 12:11   #43
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
If you are John Smith and set up a Mike-Rowe-Soft site then there's that much more evidence you have done this merely as a domain-squatting attempt. So it does matter.
Well if your names John Smith you set up a beer company and avoid law suits...
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 12:17   #44
CjC
Throwing Shapes

Didnt Ronald Macdonald win a law suit to stop Mcdonalds closing his cafe.
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 13:21   #45
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Not sure how relevant that is.
Well, if Mike had put up loads of Microsoft-style stuff on his website, in a way Whitehouse.org used to be, then he'd be "impersonating" microsoft.com (I don't know legal lingo) and thus Microsoft'd have a case.
But it looks like they've dropped it, so I think sanity is restored.
Unread 21 Jan 2004, 14:58   #46
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Advice on how to improve the spellchecker on Word ?

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote