User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 7 Jan 2004, 17:26   #1
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Someone who works in a supermarket...

...(or similar), do you happen to know the name of the company who makes the software used on checkouts?
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 17:31   #2
ChubbyChecker
King of The Fat Boys

ChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriendChubbyChecker needs a job and a girlfriend
Re: Someone who works in a supermarket...

A mate of mine works for a company that makes those machines that give you a ticket, you know, like at the meat counter.
ChubbyChecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 17:49   #3
Grimble v2.0
Bernard Black

Grimble v2.0 is an unknown quantity at this point

Surely there's more than one company?
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 18:32   #4
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
...(or similar), do you happen to know the name of the company who makes the software used on checkouts?
It's not something your really concerned with...all you are borthered about is how far the queue is backed up, and how fast you can scan and take payment.
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 18:37   #5
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

IBM maybe, only because i seem to remember msot of the machines themselves being IBM so i assumed they also made the software
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 18:50   #6
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomers III
IBM maybe, only because i seem to remember msot of the machines themselves being IBM so i assumed they also made the software
IBM only makes the machines and the OS that lets it talk. All the POS software is on a server in the backup room and that varies. For example, Wal-Mart wrote their own POS, They call it the SMART system which all toghter is a Unix system and the Telxons most diffently use Windows to talk to the Unix system.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 18:59   #7
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold

SMART is microsoft trademarked
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 20:14   #8
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble v2.0
Surely there's more than one company?
Any will do, I just want some pictures so I don't have to look over a cashier's shoulder next time I go shopping :|
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 20:57   #9
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerbarn
SMART is microsoft trademarked
I doubt S.M.A.R.T. is.
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 20:57   #10
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
Any will do, I just want some pictures so I don't have to look over a cashier's shoulder next time I go shopping :|
All the POS is handled by a server in the back room. The registers are just terminals.
Unread 7 Jan 2004, 23:05   #11
Tobe
Checkout Boy

Tobe is an unknown quantity at this point

the tills at waitrose say "ICL" which is now fujitsu i guess they make the software but maybe just assemble the computer parts
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 12:41   #12
Blastoderm
________

Blastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldBlastoderm spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

I work in Waitrose and I don't need to know that nonsense. I'm just there for the money.
finding strength to call and ask her
Roller coaster favorite ride,
let me kiss you one last time.
Blastoderm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 12:56   #13
CjC
Throwing Shapes

CjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant futureCjC has a brilliant future

IBM make (or made) one called SMA (SuperMarket Application surprisingly) - This uses an Op system called FlexOS and I guess it also makes (or made) use of OS2.

There is one called FTS (Front-End Trading system) which was multitasking dos based but its been a few years since I've worked with EPoS so I dont know if this is still used by companies.

There were a few others but sadly I havent worked in EPoS in years so I cant remember them.

In most cases where I have worked with EPoS systems they tend to be very customized to suit the shop/business' needs. Also EPoS systems tend to be a few years behind the consumer PC world so a lot of the technology is legacy and software can be quite old.

Hope this helps.
Unread 8 Jan 2004, 17:53   #14
Mighty Max

I used to be an assistant manager for the One-Stop (T&S) chain of stores in the UK. They upgraded from the old fashioned tills to computers acting as EPOS terminals 9also known as PcPOS) in the year 2000. The terminals were each run by a seperate computer, and the back office had a computer with the office programs/cashing up functions. They were linked by a LAN together, so they could communicate when cashing up, and searching the product database etc. There was an ISDN connection, which was plugged into a router and shared between all three terminals for stuff like card authorising, and VPN (for when head office needed to log onto our machines remotely).

The tills used: Pentium 3, Windows NT, running some software called Riva pc2till or something like that.

The back office pc used: Riva Backoffice also running windows NT on a pentium 3 system.

The whole Riva thing is a collection of software for small to large chains of stores it even comes with in built network functions too for upgrading product database etc. I have searched the net for info on this but there seems to be not a lot out there.

Anyway the best I can do is that you have a look out for the Riva brand. They may have changed names now but thats all i know

-Kan3