User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Jun 2005, 14:03   #1
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Excel and standard deviation

I've got a table full of numbers in Excel and i'm trying to calculate standard deviation for a load of columns.

Firstly i tried =STDEV(A1, B1...) but that came up with a different answer to my calculator. Excel uses the forumla:

√nΣx^2 - (Σx)^2 / n(n-1)
Now when i think of standard deviation i think of the formula √Σ(x-xbar)^2 / n-1

So i looked a bit deeper into Excel and it has 3 different standard deviations - STDEV, STDEVP, STDEVPA and STDEVA.

STDEVP and STDEVPA seem to give me the same answer as my calculator but both use the forumula √nΣx^2 - (Σx)^2 / n^2

Whats the difference between all these? Which of STEVP and STDEVPA should i use if there is any difference in them seeing as they both use the same formula?

This isnt programming and it isnt hardware so bollocks to anyone that complains but feel free to move it .
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 14:08   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Excel and standard deviation

One is for sample deviation (n-1) and the other is for population standard deviation.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 14:46   #3
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Σ(x-xbar)^2
= Σx^2 - 2Σx*xbar + Σxbar^2
= Σx^2 - 2(Σx)^2 / n + n(Σx/n)^2
= Σx^2 - (Σx)^2 / n

So the only difference is whether you divide by n-1 or n.
Since you're calculating the sample mean, you lose a degree of freedom, so n-1 is more correct.

I don't see a reason why you'd ever want √nΣx^2 - (Σx)^2 / n^2, but you would divide by n rather than n-1 if you already knew the mean of the distribution: √Σ(x-m)^2 / n

The difference between STDEVP and STDEVPA is just technical. http://support.microsoft.com/default...product=xl2003
Unread 6 Jun 2005, 14:48   #4
NEWSBOT3
NEWSBOT

NEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriendNEWSBOT3 needs a job and a girlfriend

yay, queball is alive

(someone on irc was saying you'd not been around for a bit)
[20:27:47] <nodrog-aawy> **** i think my housemate just caught me masturbating
[11:25:32] <idimmu> you are a little piggy arent you
[13:17:00] <KaneED> i'm so closet i'm like narnia