User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:41   #1
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
An Internet Crossword!

OK guys, for a differentiation task (that's when the smart kids finish the work and you have to find something else for them to do so they aren't twiddling their thumbs in your class) tomorrow I'm planning on making a crossword.

The crossword's theme is going to be "websites" and "the internet" - that kind of thing.

These pupils are competent with the net, but not tech-whizzes (they're only 15). I mean, they know how to do the basics, but I doubt any of them could stick some HTML together. That's what I'm going to be teaching them this term.

So the kind of stuff I intend to put on this crossword is just for fun, really. Fun masquerading as education.

I was wondering if any of you fancied helping me out with a few descriptions/answers though. They'd be allowed to use the net to research the answers, but they couldn't be too difficult.

The kind of stuff I'm thinking is:

-The word that "L" stands for in HTML
-The standard layout a website has, in terms of colours/fonts/logos
-The most popular search engine
-An input device (obviously they'd need to fill in the gaps of other words to get it)
-The name of Microsoft's internet browser

You get the idea.

Fancy helping a fellow GDer?
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:44   #2
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: An Internet Crossword!

Have you got Scrabble?
When I had to create crosswords, I found it easier to use this - much easier than crossing out and such.

Edit: The "h" in http, "r" in URL?
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:49   #3
Tomkat

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'll probably do it on a website, or something.

Kids in ICT lessons tend to assume that if they're in there, they have to be using the computers. They don't like having to write on paper in them
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:49   #4
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I meant when setting it up, and choosing where words go.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:51   #5
Tomkat

Ohhhh.

I think there's a website that does it for you, someone was telling me about it. You put in the descriptions and answers, and it shoves it in a crossword.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:53   #6
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

ask them what 1337 means :P
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:54   #7
Tomkat

Heh, that made me grin.

"BONUS QUESTION! WHAT DOES UBER L33T MEAN?"
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:54   #8
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkat
-The word that "L" stands for in HTML
-The standard layout a website has, in terms of colours/fonts/logos
-The most popular search engine
-An input device (obviously they'd need to fill in the gaps of other words to get it)
-The name of Microsoft's internet browser
- Language
- WTF?
- Google
- Keyboard
- Internet Explorer

Did I pass? \o/

As for some clues - how about these that educate them kind of

"Which company produces Mac OS X?" - Apple
"What OS is represented by a penguin?" - Linux
"Which browser is identified by a golden fox?" - Firefox :duh:
"Which browser is classically in-tune?" - Opera :duh:
"Out of these, which one is an output device? Wacom Tablet, USB Pen, Sound Card, Speakers" - Speakers
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 17:55   #9
Stew
Made of Twigs

Quote:
Ohhhh.

I think there's a website that does it for you, someone was telling me about it. You put in the descriptions and answers, and it shoves it in a crossword.
Is there anything the internet can't do?
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:00   #10
Tomkat

Nice one Androme \o/

Oh, the answer to your "WTF" is "House Style"
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:02   #11
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

hehe glad i could help :P
i'm trying to remember what was in the crossword i had to do in school.
most questions were input/output
what does OS stand for?
what does do?
stuff like that
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:11   #12
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
what does do?
?
----------retired-------
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:13   #13
Aryn
Happy

oops.. i meant to put [.b] [./b] (without the dots). GO ME!
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:22   #14
Androme
☆ ♥ 

If anyone argues a sound card is an output device (depending on their intelligence) say technically no output devices contains an A-D Converter (Anaglogue2Digital) - or use the simpler route - it's like the graphics card - VDU relationship - the graphics card isn't the output device, it's the VDU that is etc.

How about extra true/false or yes/no questions? (these are way past their level but I don't care)

"Is an ADSL modem actually a modem?" - no - because modems convert analogue signals into digital where as an ADSL modem just transmits & receives digital signals

"The CPU carries out data-processing functions, by performing arithmetical and logical operations" - true/false? ----> true

"UPS stands for Unlimited Power Supply" true/false? ----> false (Uninteruptable P.S.)

"The 5 basic internal components necessary for a computer to operate are: CPU, Main Memory, Secondary Store, Graphics Card & PSU" - true/false? true (although PSU is questionable, the thing needs power for crying out loud otherwise it won't run)
----------retired-------
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:35   #15
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

A graphics card is hardly 'necessary', and since when have crosswords has true/false answers? The size of the ****ing box would give the answer away you moron.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:44   #16
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
A graphics card is hardly 'necessary', and since when have crosswords has true/false answers? The size of the ****ing box would give the answer away you moron.
It could also include Yes and No.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:47   #17
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Androme2
"The 5 basic internal components necessary for a computer to operate are: CPU, Main Memory, Secondary Store, Graphics Card & PSU" - true/false?
You forgot a user to press the power button.

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:49   #18
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
It could also include Yes and No.
Making it much more difficult...
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 19:07   #19
Tomkat

Yeah, Yes and No questions are kind of pointless.

(I tried to pos-rep you SYMM but it didn't let me )

Plus I'm trying to steer away from hardware questions. Software questions on the internet and the web are good though - but I don't expect their knowledge to be that great.

I'll probably tell them I intend to use Dreamweaver with them later in the term. Then those that listened can fill in a description for it.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 19:34   #20
Tomkat

ok, these are my questions so far:

What does the "L" stand for in HTML?
What is the name for the standard layout of a website (in terms of colours/fonts/logos)?
What is the name of the most popular internet search engine?
The most commonly used input device?
What is the name of Microsoft's internet browser?
What is the name of the website creation tool we will be using this term?
Which is these is an output device? Microphone / Headphones / Mouse / USB Stick
Which company owns Itunes?
Which country uses .au after its web address? (eg: www.google.com.au)
Which other Macromedia product will we be using to create graphics for our website?
What's the acronym (abbreviation) for the code used to make basic websites?

They're all kind of easy though. I need some more taxing ones, that can be found by a detailed google search (but aren't too techie). Something fun, like the price of something on ebay or amazon.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 19:43   #21
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

"What is the name for the standard layout of a website (in terms of colours/fonts/logos)?"
Seems rather obscure to me...

How about something like "What country's currency is represented by CHF?" (would require finding xe.com or similar, and it's Switzerland by the way)
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 19:47   #22
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
What is the name for the standard layout of a website (in terms of colours/fonts/logos)?
Again: wtf?
Quote:
The most commonly used input device?
I suppose you can guess from length again, but what answer would you give, out of interest? The keyboard, because in the past there were computers without mice? Or mice because people tend to have more of them?
Quote:
What is the name of Microsoft's internet browser?
Bubba.
Quote:
Which is these is an output device? Microphone / Headphones / Mouse / USB Stick
Which of these has the correct length? Yeah yeah, two of them are 10 letters. Ok for a pedagogical crossword I suppose.
Quote:
Which company owns Itunes?
It's spelt "iTunes".
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 19:59   #23
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYMM
I forgot to say HAVE EXTRA QUESTIONS outside of the crosswords (seeing as he's teaching them) you unnappreciative poo pusher
----------retired-------
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 20:40   #24
Tomkat

The school uses Mozilla Firefox as its default internet browser actually <3

And Thunderbird as the E-mail program.

\o/
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 21:00   #25
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

1) In what game would you call a player an 'AWP CAMPING AIMBOT WHOREFAG' ?
2) What is the name given to men and women who dress up in animal suits and **** each other?
3) On average, how many spammy emails will you get a day claiming to increase the size of your penis by 300%?
4) How many of the products in 3) actually work?

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 21:07   #26
Tomkat

Trust Oldie McOld to give the mature sensible answer to my question, while the rest of you make silly jokes.

Oh wai...
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 21:12   #27
Rids
The Bad Guy

Rids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet societyRids is a pillar of this Internet society

Who is the biggest prick on the internet, and also a day of the week.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 22:00   #28
Tomkat

If any of them frequent these forums, I've got a lot more to worry about than just them getting the answer to this crossword.
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 08:01   #29
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Personally I'd avoid questions / answers which rely on knowledge of corporations. "Which is the most popular seach engine" or "Which company makes iTunes" sound like ****ing adverts and is hardly a productive use of tax payers monies.

I'd stick to questions about standards and open systems not stuff involving brandnams or trademarked entities.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 15:10   #30
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
If any of them frequent these forums, I've got a lot more to worry about than just them getting the answer to this crossword.

HIS NAME IS TOM RATTLE PEOPLE!
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 18:13   #31
Tomkat

They ****ing stormed through it.

I had two tasks for them, which were supposed to take an hour each. One lesson before lunch, one after.

When I was with them on Friday (mainly observing), they were all pissing around and not doing any work.

So I assumed they'd be slow.

They're nearly all brainy and did it all quickly

Even worse, I'm supposed to be teaching them how to make a basic website using Dreamweaver.

Some of them have coded in Java, Perl and C++ (or so they say - the teacher who normally teaches them said it might just be exaggeration).

****ing great. A class of year 10s (15 year olds) who know more than I do, and I'm supposed to be the teacher. I could handle 17-18 year olds, but this is silly
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 18:31   #32
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Tomkat don't worry. Just give them a detention for excelling too fast and not giving others a chance.

Or give those exagerators something more challenging to do.

Ask them: what's the difference between a compiler & assembler?
Name one 3rd Generation Imperative programming language? PASCAL/Delphi
Name one 3rd Generation Non-Imperative programming language? - FORTRAN iirc.
Name one 4th Generation Imperative programming language? CGI
----------retired-------
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 18:47   #33
Tomkat

If I asked them questions like that, then they'd either whip onto google and give me the answer, or just go "wha" and ignore me.

Actually, a bunch of them were playing that Mystery of Time and Space thing when I arrived at the class. I gloated that I'd completed it. I'm so