User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions

Unread 25 Dec 2005, 22:12   #1
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Your fleet this round?

It's somewhat of a tradition to see how people ended the round, so I decided to keep this up.

My fleet ended up something like (This is purely from memory)

Sentinel 35,000 Vsharrak 210,000
Ghost 15,000 Bomber 4,000
Tzen 15,000 Lancer 3,000
Peacekeeper 4,000 Dagger 9,000
Sabre 4,500

Though it ended up somewhat different as I splatted some FI in an attempted fake where the target built 7k cutters but got loads of viper defence

The sentinels were a later addition, I spammed them for defence purposes when I realised some of our xands/caths were getting hit by big FI fleets, and so that if my vsh were ever used on anti fleetcatch duty against vsh/viper fleets, I could also do some damage.

I kept Bomber/lancer to quite a small number as they are 0-loss damage dealers, so I only needed enough to scare off attackers; though I built more lancers than I would have in order to perform fakes on caths/ziks and kill defending vipers. Tzens, Ghosts and Sabres were my main attack fleet and were extremely useful.

I think my fleet performed quite well, but I regret playing traditionally. Playing for value was a mistake I realised far too late, as the hundreds of thousands of hungry frigates bore down on my planet and took millions of score in XP I was metaphorically slamming my head against the wall

In hindsight, I should have gone for a big frigate fleet with a handful of vsharraks for faking purposes; playing traditionally for value was a stupid idea (I didn't dare land an attack for over a week as it just gave the enemy more XP), I should have spent my time donating resources to the fund in order to maintain a low value and roided big xands or ziks for lots of XP instead! My failure to realise this cost ND at least 4 million score, probably a lot more as I encouraged my AG members to play for value as well (One of whom provided exil with another 4 million), which left me feeling stupid
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 23:28   #2
jupp
Hi there ...

jupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant futurejupp has a brilliant future
Re: Your fleet this round?

Vsharrak 80,000
Ghost 13,000 Bomber 4,000
Tzen 11,000 Lancer 2,000
Peacekeeper 3,000
Sabre 2,000

played *traditionally* as well - we had quite a rough time and i was scared to end up in a round long war with eX to be too small to be of use going for XP only or not even able to land with a tiny fleet :/

whatever the round is over and i am kinda satisfied how it went.

bye bye PA for a bit

[Ascendancy] - While you were trying, we were sleeping

jupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 Dec 2005, 23:49   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Phoenix 418 Gryphon 90
Drake 81 Pegasus 18
Chimera 20 Syren 5
Dragon 5 Wyvern 5
Lynx 24 Leviathan 8
Behemoth 9 Beetle 359
Viper 1763 Widowmaker 94
Scarab 120 Black Widow 174
Roach 213 Tarantula 48
Mosquito 522 Hornet 60
Ghost 1484 Bomber 394
Tzen 1720 Peacekeeper 24
Sabre 562 Cutter 3000
Cutlass 1300 Thief 1200
Clipper 700 Marauder 664
Buccaneer 492 Pirate 575
Rogue 900 Privateer 350
Pillager 150 Galleon 2

i changed my race for once to Zik, after being Cathaar (emp/science tree)for like.. forever. Had the usual luck of landing in a relatively inactive gal without night activity (hovering around top 100 rank). Despite all that i had my best round ever due to the fact i had stolen quite a few ships that made me a less interesting targets (and my alliance not being part of any major war apart from the fight we had with HR). Unfortunately i decided to test my luck the last morning of the round by waking up late, finding my planet with about 550k less value than it originally had due to a Xan sneaking his FR fleet in between the time i went to bed and logged in again (which explain the lack of FI and CR as most of those went bye bye).

Mostly tested my luck with my BS or CR fleet, the CR became more active after i stole a decent amount of hornets as i wasn't that lucky with faking my BS with CR for some surprise ship gains. Apart from that i used my FR to team up/target some Viper low Caths combined with a Xan or another Zik. All worked relatively well, although the pure Zik FR usually were easily stopped by Vsharraks, hence didn't do it that much.

I didn't attack all that much this round, but when i did i could usually land which gave me some nice gains (was busy testing my luck on defending my galm8s from the endless stream of incoming aswell). But due to my last day instead of a near top100 finish, i ended some where around 170 or so, which is my best ever \o/ (damn i am good ^^).

Last edited by Wandows; 25 Dec 2005 at 23:54.
Wandows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 11:19   #4
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute

1500viper 450 scarab
100 widowmakers 600 mosquitos
15 hornets 100 guardian

I crashed my cath fleets* a week before round ended, so i just spent rest of round roiding overly fat planets and deffing ingal.

(Went to a movie and forgot to recall my fleetcatch on an exi :P)
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 12:04   #5
s7n
7ish

s7n is an unknown quantity at this point

40,000 Vsharrak
15,000 Ghost
11,000 Tzen
2,000 Bomber
1,000 Peacekeeper
5,000 Dagger
1,000 Sabre

Im a little unsure myself, ghost and tzen were hardest, as i built alot last few ticks.
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 12:44   #6
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

The fleet I had for most of the round was something like this:

Harpy 150 Chimera 120
Dragon 25 Wyvern 25
Lynx 120 Leviathan 60

This fleet was built for 3-fleet attacking, with value being kept as low as possible. It enabled me to send out two fleets of ~120 DE (plus one dragon) which would have appeared to be a BS fleet to most people. I also sent out a harpy/BS fleet, with the harpies simply designed to confuse my targets about what I was sending. Often stressed out MOs/BCs will leave the confusing defence calls to last, which means they might not get covered at all.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 18:26   #7
Doorsdown
Aria's TeddyBear :p

Doorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really niceDoorsdown is just really nice

by the end of the round i had

10k spider 3k beetle
11k viper 1k bw
100 roach 300 tula
1000 mos 100 hornet

R3 [Acid] peon
R4 - R7 [Fyre] HC
R7 - R8 [ND] HC
R8 - R13 [NoS] MC
R14 - R16 [1up] MO
R17 Retired
Doorsdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Dec 2005, 22:53   #8
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

I had some non-essential Cathaar ships, personally, ships that had no business having a "Cathaar" tag on their hulls, but mainly, my attack ships kind of looked like this, and at the end of the round, capped +800 asteroids:

5000 Spiders
6000 Beetles
5000 Vipers
4000 Mosquitos

Attacking decent sized Terrans becomes very fun with a powerful Cath Co fleet, which is why about 70% of my targets were Terran. With enough Cath Fi, a Fi/Co fleet against a Xan, sometimes becomes very challenging and most of the time, tag-teamed with another Cath - 15% of my targets were Xan. Also, very entertaining, was attacking a Zik - even with a small amount of Thieves, stolen anti Co ships in a Zik's planet is often very tricky, but still capped a lot, thus 15% of the time, I attacked Ziks.

Terran destroyers were the biggest pain on my behind when I get incs, which was fortunately mostly covered by my fluffy ND, Angels, 1up and Insomnia galmates.

An absolutely entertaining round! With ship stats, the politics involved with the top alliances and all the twists within the round, I'm looking forward to another R15-ish round in the near future!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 10:04   #9
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Can't remember what i had, but these numbers seem so low after playing havoc...

Anyway I realised too late that wh0ring marauders for in gal would have been good. Although i did find my cr fleet worked a treat, often i would land on pk def (if only i stole more syrens )
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 12:56   #10
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
Anyway I realised too late that wh0ring marauders for in gal would have been good. Although i did find my cr fleet worked a treat, often i would land on pk def (if only i stole more syrens )
Peacekeepers don't shoot cruisers though. *****
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Dec 2005, 21:51   #11
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Read it again and you will realise 1) why i said cr worked a treat. 2) why i said 'i would often land on pk def' and 3) why i said if only i stole more syrens.

Edit: No wonder ND lost
Unread 28 Dec 2005, 15:47   #12
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate
It's somewhat of a tradition to see how people ended the round, so I decided to keep this up.

My fleet ended up something like (This is purely from memory)

Sentinel 35,000 Vsharrak 210,000
Ghost 15,000 Bomber 4,000
Tzen 15,000 Lancer 3,000
Peacekeeper 4,000 Dagger 9,000
Sabre 4,500
I had a quite comparable fleet, minus 3k keepers and 100k vsh's ... but I got attacked hard when my FI,CO,DE were home and quite lost them all, making me have nothing else then 30k FR's (which all in all is a very good attack fleet this round nway)

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Dec 2005, 00:30   #13
Styges

Styges is an unknown quantity at this point

As a terran I began the round by faking a lot of attacks by having equal numbers of DE and BS.
Once people got fleet scans I began to build 2 DE for everyone 1 BS.
Although I did build phoenix, harpy and gryphon to begin with I soon stopped building them as they were underpowered and totally useless.
I also found that Syrens were useful but far too often they would totally destroyed by ghosts or rogues making landing very expensive. In the end I would just mix my fleets together with a bit of everything to stop me losing so many ships.
Styges is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 Dec 2005, 22:36   #14
_Kila_
break it down!

_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society_Kila_ is a pillar of this Internet society

at the end of this round, my fleet was something along the lines of:
Arrowhead 105
Tzen 400
Sabre 100
_Kila_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jan 2006, 12:01   #15
Stifler

Stifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond reputeStifler has a reputation beyond repute

before my party that made me unable to run my fleet from incomings my fleet was someting like:

Spider 20000 Beetle 2000
Viper 6000-7000 Mosquito 1000

Scarab 500

Black Widow 1500 Roach 200
Tarantula 200 Hornet 100

(I kept intending to build more hornets since I didnt get full cap when solo on fat targets but every time I saved for just that I got incoming that made me spend )

Main CO targets were: Terr/Zik/Xan (with less then ~150-200 lancers, yes there were some , or more lancers if they had more roids/"full xp" value) and sometimes a cat with low spiders/no guardians

Main CR targets were Zik/Cat and Xan with few ghost (or teamed up with a cat who had more tulas)

Later in round I teamed a bit with xan fi/co on Ziks, a lot of the time the ziks left there cutters home for me to block with spiders and the xans arrowheads to kill

after my "didnt run inconings" my fleet was mostly the same but Spider down to ~7000-10000, Scarabs down to 400 and Black Wdiow down to 800-1000

I was top5-20 xp in the first half of the around and after my bad landings mid round hovered around top100 xp for the rest of the round, I didnt intend to have high xp it just happened since I had a lot of Zik targets who generally have high value from stealing ships

Former [1up]

Current [Spore]

Returned under the IRC nick BenSwansea
Stifler is offline   Reply With Quote