User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 May 2006, 00:23   #1
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
The story of my dislocated shoulder

I already posted this as a blog on PB, but since a lot of you don't go there I thought I'd post it on GD as well.

----

It was a dark and misty night in the pits of Cardiff. Somewhere, an owl hooted. It'd probably spotted some kids robbing an off-license.

Fortunatly I was indoors, watching a shit chick-flick with my housemates. If karma had felt like saying hello, I'd have probably been shagging some gorgeous brunette about 15 minutes after it ended. Sadly, it didn't. Instead, the night got worse. I got thirsty.

We had one beer left. My mate wanted it as well. For reference, he's 6'2 and about 14 stone. I'm 5'8 and about 3 stone lighter.

I had to go for it with a pre-emptive strike on a cardboard box containing the sweet, sweet beer. Sadly, I was spotted. As he dove at me I drew on my years of martial arts experience and attempted to flip him over my shoulder. This should have been easy. However he wasn't having any of it and instead decided to land on my right shoulder, and in doing so forced my right arm backward, hard.

CRUNCH went the ligaments in my shoulder. I then proceeded to scream.

Getting up after about five minutes on the floor, I noticed that I could hardly lift my right arm. The fingers all wiggled though so I assumed it would all be ok. Then one of my female housemates suggested I tried to stretch my arm out a bit.

Alright then, thought I. So I rotated my arm backwards in an attempt to get some movement in it. Bad idea.

Pop.

It was the most sickening feeling of my life. I felt my shoulder and couldn't feel the top of my arm...instead, it was 2-3 inches down, out of the socket. I didn't scream in pain, just went straight into shock. My housemates then rushed me to the hospital.

The scene: A&E (the ER for Americans), Friday night at around 11pm. The drunks hadn't started arriving yet and it wasn't too busy there. My arm was in a sling, desperatly attempting to support one half of my ex-shoulder. It hurt whenever my arm swayed, which made getting out of the car a bastard.

They took me straight through to the triage area, and after about 10 minutes a friendly doctor came over, felt my shoulder and swiftly concluded that yes, my shoulder was dislocated.

"Well that's a ****ing suprise" thought I.

He then stuck an IV in my hand (which left a nasty bruise for about a week) and injected some painkillers into me. It felt quite strange as the liquid rushed up my arm, not really that pleasant. Then came the gas, which I was helpfully informed was the same stuff used in childbirth (probably this stuff). It was good shit, this gas. Four deep breaths in a row and I went all light-headed, which was kinda cool.

I sat there for another 20 minutes and then got wheeled into resus (the place they treat car accident victims, etc) for an x-ray. Quite why they still needed to check that it really was dislocated - well who knows, but apparantly the x-ray itself "looked awesome" according to my housemates.

After another half hour sitting in resus, a doctor and a junior doctor came in. My housemates were told to clear off and the "oh shit this is really going to hurt isn't it" feeling washed over me. They chatted about how to do it, and I gathered that the junior doctor wanted to do it 'the less bio-mechanically sound' way, but was corrected by the senior doctor. Which was a relief, it's my damn shoulder and I didn't want it ****ed for the rest of my life.

Then they did it. That gas which made me dizzy after a few breaths? I took huge deep breaths of it constantly for about two minutes while they 'reduced' the shoulder, and it still hurt like hell (everything went burning white, etc).

This is how one website says they did it, but I'll describe it myself.

I was sitting up on the bed with my forearm level across my chest; my elbow was at a 90 degree angle. The doctor then took hold of my forearm and slowly lifted the arm up to a point where my forearm was level with my forehead. He then pulled the upper arm away from my body (keeping me pinned to the bed) in order to point the ball of the humerus back into the socket. Having done so, the arm was lifted fully over my head and then back down to my side. I felt the socket click several times as it went back in, although at the time I was rather busy with the overwhelming pain.

Once I came off the gas I felt suprisingly good, although a little dizzy. I stayed there for about another half hour, then my arm was put in a sling for two weeks. The shoulder's got stronger and stronger over the last couple of months, and apparantly I'm now fully rehabilitated. Go me!
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:36   #2
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road
Re: The story of my dislocated shoulder

/me fluffles furball.

We all go crazy, you might as well go verTIGO!

Moral of the story always have more beer in your house furball.
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:47   #3
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

cool

Are you going to sue your housemate?
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:49   #4
furball

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
Nah, it wasn't his fault - and I told him that on the way to the hospital. Still made him drive me to the clinic for my check-ups though
Unread 9 May 2006, 00:52   #5
Dark-Strider
Reservoir Dog

Dark-Strider is on a distinguished road

Heh I just realised where I recognise Deepflow's siggy joke from. I have Tim Vine's DVD heh.
Unread 9 May 2006, 04:10   #6
IncubusGod
WANNASEEMYNEWCHAINSAW

IncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldIncubusGod spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Argggggggggggggggggghhhh.

Beat him in the face while he sleeps. It's the only way to be fair.
Karma will like you for that.
Unread 9 May 2006, 07:16   #7
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
He then stuck an IV in my hand (which left a nasty bruise for about a week) and injected some painkillers into me.
Yeah, doctors generally suck at putting in IVs - nurses are much much better at it. Apparently my sister has to learn to start doing them next year - they're "encouraged" to bring loads of the syringes home and practice doing them on each other (Med students generally hang around together), which I find a bit mental.

I always thought painkillers were "beneath-the-skin" though, not IV? I suppose the idea was to get them working quickly and straight into your bloodstream.

Anyway, good story dude
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:22   #8
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

The painkillers would have been inserted intravenously to ensure it entered the shoulder properly - the risk to the brachial artery when you dislocate a shoulder is pretty substantial and they wouldn't have wanted to traumatise the affected area any more than necessary.

The X-ray was taken to locate where exactly the head of the humerus was in relation to the brachial artery and the brachial (nerve) plexus - you can't see these on the x-ray but they are always in the same place on every person.

If they did the procedure wrong alot of things could have happened, from permenant shoulder trauma to losing your arm - still happens now and then, one case i saw was when a patient decided to do a 'lethal weapon' and ruptured the atery.

The 'crunch' would have most likely been the air in the joint making a swift exit into the surrounding tissue by pushing it's way through your ligaments.

The shoulder, most useful yet most unstable joint in the human body. From a structural point of view the thing is about as durable as a wet paper bag.

Rotating your arm backwards is rarely a good idea anyway but if you do want to dislocate your shoulder (you know, just for the fun of it lol) then lie on your back on a bench with your arm out to your side, elbow bent and in line with your shoulder and get someone to push your forearm steadily backwards.

I don't know why i said all that, just in case someone wants to do an accurate reconstruction a la that wonderful TV gem that was 999.

Those were the days.

God, i'm bored.

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:29   #9
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
cool

Only in the US mate, only in the US.
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:35   #10
furball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadar
Only in the US mate, only in the US.
If we were in the US then I'd be suing God for his unintelligent design. Hopefully I'd get an elected judge in a Bible Belt state - I'd love to see him try to dismiss my case when the most viable ground for doing so is that God does not exist.
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:50   #11
Nadar
I see you!

Nadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriendNadar needs a job and a girlfriend

He'd probably sue you for blasphemy

Ouch at dislocating your shoulder btw. Never done it before and after reading about yours I don't think I want to do it either.
Unread 9 May 2006, 09:59   #12
Phalon
Insanely Insignificant

Phalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himPhalon is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by furball
If we were in the US then I'd be suing God for his unintelligent design. Hopefully I'd get an elected judge in a Bible Belt state - I'd love to see him try to dismiss my case when the most viable ground for doing so is that God does not exist.
The Man Who Sued God

All is nothing, without you.
Phalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 15:43   #13
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

I dislocated my shoulder about 5 years ago (rather pathetically trying to get something from under my bed).

Since then the slightest of movements in the wrong direction causes it to pop back out. At least a couple of dozen times

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 May 2006, 16:25   #14
Alki
Drink is Good

Alki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better placeAlki single handedly makes these forums a better place

dislocating your jaw is more painful, i should know