User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 31 May 2008, 11:33   #1
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Out of the Stoneage

A couple of weeks ago I finally installed anadd-on for Firefox. I've not done this before andwas never particularly interested.

But now I have installed an ad-blocker and I think that this is a fantastic piece of software.

However, I have noticed one side-effect; I find it difficult to use a PC where there is no ad-blocker because the flashing adverts are too distracting.

Do you use any good add-ons for Firefox?

Do flashing adverts distract attention from what you're doing, even when you are unaware of them?
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 11:56   #2
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Out of the Stoneage

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
Do flashing adverts distract attention from what you're doing, even when you are unaware of them?
That's a really interesting comment there. To what extent are we distracted by things that we are unaware of? I think this kind of notion is beyond my understanding of philosophy.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 12:29   #3
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Going back to the media thread, that would be a good thing to use a journal for.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 31 May 2008, 13:21   #4
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Yeah, it took me a couple of years too before I found out about the joy that is add-ons, but once I had, I went apeshit crazy with them:

Adblock-Plus -> adblocker + custom filter
Firebug -> debugging tool for websites
Flashblock -> blocks all flash, replaces each with a "play" button which starts it (think youtube, shock sites)
Long titles -> prevents the breaking off of long alt-text popups (xkcd)
FireFTP -> ftp client
SpiderZilla -> website mirror utility
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 15:06   #5
All Systems Go

While we're at it, can I get Firefox or an ad-blocker on my Nokia N95?
Unread 31 May 2008, 15:29   #6
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

foxmarks - i use different computers, helps me sync all my bookmarks
adblock plus - as mentions
download helper - helps me download flash movies from youtube and lots of other sides. there's quite a few of these addons, actually.
noscript - blocks javascript, which prevents xss attacks and the like
cookiesafe - only accepts cookies from sites you trust

i've also installed a plethora of search engines for the thing in the top left hand corner.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31 May 2008, 15:43   #7
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

firefox is shit, keeps hanging on my system and it seems a number of add-ons cause the said effect - this is regardless of reinstalls (complete inc. registry cleaning), using FF2 / FF3,

the addons that causes it are: noscript, add-block plus

anyway, i used to use external ip, greasemonkeys, better gmail 2, customize google, url fixer
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 01:12   #8
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Aswell as Adblock I use:

CustomiseGoogle ->removes adverts and when typing in a search brings up the searches with the mot results which start with those letters

Google Reader notifier

Googlepedia -> displays the wikipedia article for your google search in the google page

google preview -> inserts images next too all the results in google so you get a vague idea of the page that you will load
'
IE Tab

No Script

PDF Download

Video Downloader
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 10:21   #9
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Last updated: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 08:59:20 GMT
User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14
Extensions (enabled: 17, disabled: 0):

* 1-ClickWeather 1.1.6 - Instant local weather, alerts, etc, all sitting in your Firefox window
* Adblock Plus 0.5.11.4 - this really goes without saying
* DownThemAll! 1.0.1 - a good mass downloader, mainly for pages with a lot of pictures. Download by file extension on a page, etc
* Fission 0.9.7.1 - the address bar is also a progress bar, Safari-style
* Gmail Notifier 0.6.3.2 - notifier for Gmail
* Image Zoom 0.3.1 - zoom images as well as text
* InfoLister 0.10 - expressly for threads like this - lists all your installed extensions and themes
* Java Console 6.0.01
* Java Console 6.0.03
* Java Console 6.0.05
* Linkification 1.3.3 - converts text links into clickable links
* Mouse Gestures Redox 2.0.0 - mouse gestures are fantastic
* PDF Download 1.0.1.1 - stops you from accidentally killing your computer by clicking on PDFs by mistake. Also converts them to HTML if wanted.
* Super DragAndGo 0.2.6 - drag links to anywhere blank on a page and it'll open in a new tab. Enhanced laziness basically.
* Tabbrowser Preferences 1.3.1.1 - enhanced tabs
* Talkback 2.0.0.11 - tells Mozilla why Firefox breaks
* Tiny Menu 1.4.9 - replaces the standard menu bar with a 'Menu' button akin to the back/forward/stop/refresh buttons.

And now Long Titles, thanks Mz.
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 11:16   #10
jerome

jerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so littlejerome contributes so much and asks for so little

downloadthemall which is a much less shitty download manager

and download 'helper' which steals lets me video from various video sites
jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 12:31   #11
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Noscript
Adblock
Sage - checks blogs and tells you if there's been an update
download statusbar - means no download popup thing (altho is a bit annoying as closing firefox cancels download)
Fast video download - save off youtube etc
Foxytunes - shows what mp3 you're listening to
IEtab - one click "change to IE for this page" which is really useful for those sites that don't like firefox
Stumbleupon - find new sites

Might add that longtitlename thing as well!

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 13:19   #12
All Systems Go

With the Youtube video rippers, is there a way to get them in a formt other than flv?
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 18:12   #13
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

there's some software you can download which converts flv's to wma's.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 18:41   #14
Hebdomad
I ♡ ☠

Hebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldHebdomad spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
With the Youtube video rippers, is there a way to get them in a formt other than flv?
there are free flv players. don't see the problem really. my media player plays them. i'm sure there are flv plugins around for whatever you use.
Hebdomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 1 Jun 2008, 19:01   #15
Mzyxptlk
mz.
Alien Invasion Champion, Submarine Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Barts Watersports Adventure Champion

Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Mzyxptlk has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Generally you'll encounter quality loss (and/or file size increases) when converting from one lossy format to the next, so I would recommend against it.
The outraged poets threw sticks and rocks over the side of the bridge. They were all missing Mary and he felt a contented smug feeling wash over him. He would have given them a coy little wave if the roof hadn't collapsed just then. Mary then found himself in the middle of an understandably shocked family's kitchen table. So he gave them the coy little wave and realized it probably would have been more effective if he hadn't been lying on their turkey.
Mzyxptlk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 08:13   #16
furball
Registered Awesome Person

furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.furball has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

What are the best FLV players to use? VLC doesn't really do the job since you can't skip forward/backwards in the video.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 08:41   #17
All Systems Go

I've got FLVPlayer4Free, but I've not tried it yet so I'm not sure how good it is.

High user rating on www.download.com though.
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 09:32   #18
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

BetterSearch, Long Titles, NoScript, SiteAdvisor and TabBrowser Preferences to get a couple of tiny things fixed for tabs. Didn't realise I used so many actually, I forget about BetterSearch entirely (I just assume Google looks like that) and Long Titles is a must xkcd
Unread 2 Jun 2008, 18:35   #19
Ste
Bored

Quote:
I've got FLVPlayer4Free, but I've not tried it yet so I'm not sure how good it is.

High user rating on www.download.com though.
I use FLV player - http://www.download.com/FLV-Player/3...-10467081.html

Unread 19 Jun 2008, 14:29   #20
All Systems Go

After a few weeks of using some add ons, the ones I really like are Customise Google, Fission and Gmail Notifier.

Is there an application which will check, not only my Gmail account, but also my Yahoo and uni e-mail accounts for me?