User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:07   #1
Vimsa

[Discuss] XP for defending

Would be nice if we could get xp when we defend. It "could" be calculated % of the ships the attackers fleet loose and % of fleet that the defenders loose. Salvage arrangement can still be on. Ofc only xp and salvage if attack lands.

The reason for this thread is that I`m one of, at least a few ppl that I know of, who like to defend more then we like to attack. Another reason is that it will be much easier to get defence, when ppl get "paid" to do so.

Would like suggestions from other players how this can be done. And if there is support along the ranks for such an "action"..

Take care and have fun

All the best from Vimsa

Last edited by Vimsa; 19 Apr 2005 at 18:17.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:19   #2
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: XP for defending

Although in theory I'm for getting experience for defence (all rounds i've played seriously i've always preferred and opted for defence over attack) I'm not sure exactly the best way of implementing it. I guess you'd get XP for something like %_value_of_ships * total_attacking_fleet_value / total_defending_fleet_value * 10, where attacker/defender value is capped at 2. Hence you get bravery points, and it's related to the amount of ships you send.
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:34   #3
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

How about roids saved - the opposite of what you get when you're attacking
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 18:58   #4
Gerbie
pe0n

Gerbie is an unknown quantity at this point

I like attacking more. This might make attackign a bit harder. The only reason this round has not stagnated yet is that attacking is so easy.
Furthermore, this would be hard to balance as Cathaar hardly kill (and Terrans are not that good at it either).
round 7 noob: rank 6.198 25:20:25 - VoC member
round 8 noob: rank 4.112 7:2:3 - TFD member
round 9 rank 941 23:1:9 - TFD HC
round 9.5 rank 860 22:7:3 - TFD HC
round 10: rank unknown (was #1 for a while) 5:2:5 - Vengeance pe0n
round 10.5: rank 683 19:10:2 - VGN member
round 11: rank 138 8:8:4 - VsN member
round 12: rank 515 - VGN 'special attack officer' -> jumped ship to Rock
round 13: rank 85: NoS
Gerbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Apr 2005, 20:38   #5
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

cathaar do kill according to the combat engine though. you just include the *held* value in the same way as you'd have to include the *stolen* value.

and it'd be a trade off, as a xan I LOVE the idea

one way around it would be the roids saved notion, but it sounds a ittle complex, what do you do give xp for anything under max cap? so aces you could attack and not def and not get max cap and both sides get xp...... i can see potential for abuse here

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 10:40   #6
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
cathaar do kill according to the combat engine though. you just include the *held* value in the same way as you'd have to include the *stolen* value.

and it'd be a trade off, as a xan I LOVE the idea

one way around it would be the roids saved notion, but it sounds a ittle complex, what do you do give xp for anything under max cap? so aces you could attack and not def and not get max cap and both sides get xp...... i can see potential for abuse here
This is why in my suggestion it's not related to either the amount of ships killed or the amount of roids saved, but rather how "brave" your fleet is in defending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerbie
I like attacking more. This might make attackign a bit harder. The only reason this round has not stagnated yet is that attacking is so easy.
Isn't it always the case that the 'stagnation' is directly related to how easy it is to attack anyway?
I don't see how this will make attacking much harder. If you think too much XP is given, you can always reduce it slightly. TBH, i think that the amount of XP gained from attacking should be reduced to 2/3 or 1/2 what it currently is, but that's my PoV .
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 10:55   #7
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

I really think that not having xp for any defence matters suck. If this doesnt change in round 14 I know alot of people that simply just wont play anymore. The system with xp needs to be revised in whole. Atm there is totally texas out there. My suggestion is cut down on the attacking xp, and give defence in this way. Expirience for every % of cap that the defence manages to defend agains, the defenders share that xp.
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 16:22   #8
Rc mayhem
Un-retired by request

Rc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these partsRc mayhem is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I really think that not having xp for any defence matters suck. If this doesnt change in round 14 I know alot of people that simply just wont play anymore. The system with xp needs to be revised in whole. Atm there is totally texas out there. My suggestion is cut down on the attacking xp, and give defence in this way.
agree with all that 100%
Played r4-present missing only 1 round so sad...
Rc mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 16:40   #9
Appocomaster
PA Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I really think that not having xp for any defence matters suck. If this doesnt change in round 14 I know alot of people that simply just wont play anymore. The system with xp needs to be revised in whole. Atm there is totally texas out there. My suggestion is cut down on the attacking xp, and give defence in this way. Expirience for every % of cap that the defence manages to defend agains, the defenders share that xp.
It might get complicated, and the word "abuse" is screaming at me. Someone sends 1 pod at a planet, planet kills pod, gets xp for 'saving' roids. Even if not that, you can have someone sending pure pod fleets at bigger people, *just* enough to cap all the pods ... major XP boost. Either it'll be nerfed to be useless, or big enough everyone will abuse it by these methods.
Do you want to give a rough formula? like ...
(roids_before_combat*0.25 - roids lost)*5 is the total XP gain? (so for example, if a 300 roid planet looses 10 roids, 65 of the 75 roids were 'protected', so 325 xp (or 19500 score) is gained?
This would be shared equally according to value (so if there were 2 people defending, and 1 person had 4/5 of the fleet there, 15600 would go to the person with the biggest fleet and 3900 to the smaller fleet.
This would of course neglect *which* ships stopped the roids - so if the person with the smaller fleet killed / stunned all the pods (+ flak) and the 4/5 was just sitting there, it'd "leech" the XP. It'd obviously be harder to work out who was doing the killing etc.
I'm not saying that the forumla I gave above,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Appocomaster
...for something like %_value_of_ships * total_attacking_fleet_value / total_defending_fleet_value * 10, where attacker/defender value is capped at 2. Hence you get bravery points, and it's related to the amount of ships you send.
isn't open to abuse - if someone sends loads of ... say Terran BS at your planet, and you leave one fleet home with even 1 ship, you'd benefit.
(%_value_of_ships is the % value of defending ships that are yours). It probably needs modifying, but it's just another route that's more dependant on the attacker and defender values than anything else.
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 17:05   #10
Cervantes
StarCraft II Pro Wannabe!

Cervantes is an unknown quantity at this point

A good Idea to get xp on def as you def aswell as if you attack. It would help people who def more than attack still gain score, but like anything else i think it should be tried and tested first but allround a good idea!
Round 32 Violent Realm HC - join
#violent_Realm

Round 33-35 P3nguins - Join #p3nguins
Round 35-40 Conspiracy Theory - Join #Conspiracy
Round 41-44 Conspiracy Theory HC
Round 45 xVx Peon
Round 46 Fang Peon
Round 47-69 (Apprime,Conspiracy Theory, Innuendo)
Rounds 69-70 Not Played
Round 71 MAYBE

Upper Your Spirit!
Cervantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 18:30   #11
Chaotic Mind

Chaotic Mind is an unknown quantity at this point

well, i don't see why you're not taking into consideration the amount of damage your ships are actually doing (or how many enemy ships they're killing) as opposed to just your fleet's value...
because, the way i see it, a person can send a big fleet (with a big value) but which won't really contribute to the defense, and would still get xp for it....
so maybe implementing something about actual damage inflicted could be a good idea ^^

oh, and i support the xp for def idea, it's quite neat imho.
Chaotic Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Apr 2005, 19:06   #12
thatdude

thatdude is an unknown quantity at this point

I think people should get XP for defense. It has to be less than what you get for attacking that way people just dont sit around waiting to defend because it will be safe. The idea of XP for saving roids or ships killed I think is the best so it does not get abuse for people who just send a fleet to get XP.
thatdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 01:18   #13
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

There isnt any easy way to solve this problem. But one step in the right direction would be as I said, giving out xp for "saved" roids. Yes, there might be an abuse hole here, so there should not be possible for getting it outside galaxy, or outside alliance. That way we keep that one safe.

what about: XP= Roids saved/defenders value. ? that way the bigger your value is the bigger your xp is, thus gaining the intrest of bigger planets to do defence aswell.

---

Kal, save our game. Please..
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 13:40   #14
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

i'm wondering how this would affect the planet under attack.... would u gain XP for defending ur own planet the same way u get it for defending someone else ? and if so... then that would mean anyone who attacks anyone else instantly gives away a certain amount of XP unless the attackers fleet will not at all be targetted by the defending planet... in other words.. even without knowing wether or not they will gain XP for themselves the attacking party can already be certain that 'some amount' of XP will be gained by his opponent.. wether he be succesfull on his attack or not... which will in turn lead to ppl NOT wanting to attack bigger planets because the goal of their mission is to come CLOSER in rank to this bigger planet.. not fall further behing BY ATTACKING IT...
WesseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 14:24   #15
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesseH
i'm wondering how this would affect the planet under attack....
That's quite true - no XP for defending self?

Last edited by Ultimate Newbie; 21 Apr 2005 at 15:07.
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Apr 2005, 20:47   #16
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Atm it is like this, the attacker gets xp per roid he gets. What about this then.

Both attackers and defenders share the same xp pool. That way the the xp is divided at both attackers and defenders, thus gaining roids would still be profitable. No, the attacked planet should not get xp.
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 15:49   #17
WesseH
Big-shot in my own mind.

WesseH is on a distinguished road

so then it would simply be unprofitable to, upon incomings, build those ships u need to slay ur own attacker ?

i think this tactic should be especially rewarded.. as it requires a stack of resources which is at risk of being targetted by cov-oppers.. and also because taking care of oneself benefits his/her alliance by not having to send defence fleets...

no xp for defending ur own planet sounds quite lame tbh...

i'd for example make sure my attacker is defended solely by my alliance and in return send all my ships out on other defence missions as to still get the XP for defence...
WesseH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Apr 2005, 23:24   #18
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

WesseH, that is exactly what we should have. Team work in great masses. If you gain xp for defending yourself, you would be too careful to send out your def fleets.
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 00:25   #19
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

a further problem, you get xp if you make the attackers recal?

you see where I;m going with this?

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Apr 2005, 09:55   #20
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?p=2867777

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote