User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 20 Jul 2004, 16:56   #101
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold
Re: Planet Wars: Redux - Intrest thread

Hmm...

Maybe if you kept multipliers real small like say 1 to 5 or 10 percent with perhaps various constructions, events, policies or factors effecting this value.

And I see what your getting at with the Ind. Base increases and resources now. However, if you raise the $$$ price of doing this to a point where it is unwise and expensive to rely completely on currency alone it should work.

When I thought of this I was thinking along the lines of Civ's 'hurry production' function rather than some fair trade off.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:04   #102
No Dachi

No Dachi is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitt
When I thought of this I was thinking along the lines of Civ's 'hurry production' function rather than some fair trade off.
Domestic Advisor: Hurrying production in Dachitopia will cost the lives of two citizens! [procede | cancel]

I suppose having Currency as an option might work. I'll think about it.

Percentiles are probably what I'll end up doing. Or maybe I'll come up with a new and terribly exciting way of doing it that noone's thought of yet...
That Noble Sin; whilst Luxury
Emply'd a Million of the Poor,
And odious Pride a Million more.'

-The Grumbling Hive: or, Knaves Turn'd Honest, Bernard Mandeville
No Dachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 17:19   #103
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Heh, I'd forgotten about that type of hurrying...

Now that I think about it adding 'P' cost options as well could develop oh so many possiblities...

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 19:56   #104
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Oopp... I'm back and I've staked my claim on Nova Centuari.
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 21:23   #105
No Dachi

New Berlin System
Founded by NASA just months before the war as a high-power observatory to identify colonisable star system in the Northern Fringe. New Berlin is a small system of four planets orbitting a standard yellow star similar to that forming Earth's sun. Construction of the observatory telescope was still ongoing at the war's start. Due to its minor population of scientists and industrial workers and its lack of any military installations, New Berlin survived the war unscathed. After the war, however, with the northward spread of the colonies, New Berlin began to experience problems with pirates. Still with a very meager population, the planet (the name of which is shared by the system as a whole) had great difficulty fighting off these incursions, and recieved no aid from the League, which was preoccupied with rebuilding a war-damaged Inner Sphere. New Berlin survived, barely, but the pirates, unabated by the slight resistance offered by the system, spread northwards. Pirate bases are suspected in the massive deep-space asteriod fields north of the system, and are possibly present in several of the uninhabited or formly inhabited systems that can also be found to the north. The Trade Lanes running out of New Berlin are currently the most dangerous major routes in the Known Galazy. The major hauling companies have pulled out of the Neuilly-New Berlin Trade Lane alltogether, leaving it to the gamblers, the small-time merchants willing to make that commodity trip despite the risks in return for massive profits. The major haulers have threatened to pull out of the High Reach-New Berlin Lane as well if the pirate attacks are not contained. Whatsmore, attacks on the New Berlin-Sestelle Lane, formerly the only (relatively) safe Hyperspace Lane out of the system, have been on the increase recently. New Berlin is facing the serious possibility of losing trade links to other systems altogether if it does not recieve outside aid soon.

New Berlin is a small, four planet star system. New Boston the planet is the second from the son, a small rocky planet with a breathable atmosphere, and a few square miles of genofixed plant life. The innermost planet is a tiny barren world. There is a second barren planet, this one medium-sized, third from the sun. Finally, on the system's outskirts, is a gas giant. Northwest, west and southwest of New Berlin system are the Ghostlands - the name attributed by merchants to an area of dead colonies and deep space asteroid fields. The northwestern area of the Northern Fringe was hit hard by war. North Sanctuary, originally given its name as a safe-haven for traders on the Fringe, went silent a shortly after the war's end, and outsiders can only suspect it to have been overwhelmed by the pirates. No explorer has yet been brave enough to venture there and find out. West of North Sanctuary is Novaya System, a Russian deep-colony nuked into oblivion by unidentified forces shortly after the war's end. Southwest of New Berlin, beyond a patch of empty void, is Pilenna System, a former colony that also went silent shortly after the war. Noone has ventured back to Pilenna yet due to it being minor and relatively unimportant.

Unread 20 Jul 2004, 21:31   #106
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Info on Reman please.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Ghetto Master Ellis says:
Heil Crazy!
Crazyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 21:47   #107
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

any chance of some more info of the political status of my planet (sulphos, low reach)?
Flaag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 22:07   #108
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

While your at it. Throw in a Description for VOST
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 22:10   #109
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Lakhim is on a distinguished road

No one has ever heard of the word please here?
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Lakhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Jul 2004, 23:01   #110
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

Flaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these partsFlaag is infamous around these parts

alright, please
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 01:15   #111
Wo2
The Janitor!

Well Crazy said please, so I was just leeching of his politeness. But ok then. Please!
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 08:40   #112
Terra Australis

Terra Australis is on a distinguished road

System [1] - Alpha Centauri
CENTAURI PRIME: Jungle World, Large, 1 moon, no commodity (OPEN)
Government: Democratic Republic (A-L Scale 5)
Information: Centauri Prime was the site of the first extra-solar colonies, and was colonised by a number of different nations. As such, it was scene to a series of bloody ground campaigns, and over the system were fought a number of starship engagements. All of the original colony cities were by the end of the war in an almost total state of ruin, and by the time it had been re-colonised on a large scale, the planet was largely covered in the genofixed plantlife that had been sown there, with climate change having resulted in a uniformly warm and lush biosphere. Centauri Prime is a straight democratic republic, which sits largely in the centre of the authoritarian-libertarian scale. The planet's main advantage is its position; it is in the nearest system to Sol and is near-central to the sphere of colonised worlds, making it a potentially lucrative trading planet in the right hands.

Will claim this Planet if that is O.K
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 18:14   #113
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to beholdCrazyboy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Dachi
( [Base rate]*[current industrial base]*100 ) / 2
Just a note.

This is the wrong formula.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 20:36   #114
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyboy
Just a note.

This is the wrong formula.

Thanks. What is the right one?
Know how I said I would be event DMing today? Well I was lying and instead decided to take the social life option. You'll get your DMings tomorrow, event-tually. Hohoho.
Unread 21 Jul 2004, 20:44   #115
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Its being revised at the moment, to make growth a bit quicker et cetera.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 24 Jul 2004, 10:07   #116
Terra Australis

Terra Australis is on a distinguished road

Can i have some background info on my planet a more detailed one will wait for this when u get it running if it is necessary.
Unread 24 Jul 2004, 14:46   #117
Insane. Badger
Baby Eating Capitalist

Insane. Badger can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Australis
Can i have some background info on my planet a more detailed one will wait for this when u get it running if it is necessary.
the info pretty much IS your history unless ND feels like making it more detailed.
I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it. In my youth I traveled much, and I observed in different countries, that the more public provisions were made for the poor, the less they provided for themselves, and of course became poorer. And, on the contrary, the less was done for them, the more they did for themselves, and became richer. - Benjamin Franklin
Insane. Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Aug 2004, 16:40   #118
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane. Badger
the info pretty much IS your history unless ND feels like making it more detailed.
IB speaks the truth.

All
I'm back from my awayness and hope to have the final version of this thread running by the end of the week. This depends mainly on Crazy being online for two-way discussion.

I'll clear this backlog of descriptions and whatever over today and tomorrow.

Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:08   #119
No Dachi

All
We need you to help us settle a rather pointless little dispute over how FTL Drives are going to work. You have three options:

Option 1: The Hyperdrive/No Dachi Option
This option simply makes you go really really really fast through normal space. FTL travel along non-cleared routes is dangerous because you could run into debris or what have you. Piracy is conducted by pirates dropping Gravwell Mines, which generate an intense burst of gravity, causing navigational computers to crash-driop out of hyperspace to avoid changes course. You cannot jump into a system, because the Kuiper Belt , a big cloud of comet-like icy particles surrounding every system, blocks your path. This is the way it was in the last Planet Wars threads, and is the option I support for a number of reasons.

Option 2: The Babylon 5/Formerly Crazy Option
This option involves tearing a hole in space and going through into an "alternate dimension" which you then travel through, before re-entering normal space near your destination. Piracy is conducted by pirates attacking merchant ships while they are travelling through this "alternate dimension". It is impossible to jump into systems because the sun/lplanets mess with navigational systems. This is Crazy's preferred option.

Option 3: The Odd/Crazy Option
Ships travel point-to-point through some "tech-no-bable thingy", but in "steps" of three light years. For around ten minutes between each "step" the ship must travel through real space with conventional drives while the rift generator recharges. Piracy is conducted during this "between time". Crazy suggested this idea as a compromise, but I'm not too keen on it as a starting mode. Instead, I say we introduce it as an alternative FTL Drive in the fourth or fifth tier tech tree.

VOTE!

Last edited by No Dachi; 6 Aug 2004 at 17:57.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:12   #120
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

No CA (continuous acceleration) FTL drives??

Option 1 then.
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 17:47   #121
Inspectre
Dance Puppets Dance

Inspectre is an unknown quantity at this point

Option 1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phang
like you in your threads after about a week

ZING!
I love you Phang.
Inspectre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Aug 2004, 22:57   #122
Killer-of-Lawye
ensign

Killer-of-Lawye will become famous soon enoughKiller-of-Lawye will become famous soon enough

First.

Lakhim: Hands off my SAW drives. :P
Killer-of-Lawye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2004, 05:46   #123
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

If you it is similar to how they do it in Star Wars, then i vote the first one. If not, i vote the first one.
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 01:03   #124
Ryon Jkar
Prince of the Dawn

Ryon Jkar is infamous around these partsRyon Jkar is infamous around these parts

option 2 please
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 01:06   #125
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer-of-Lawye
First.

Lakhim: Hands off my SAW drives. :P
I knew I was stealing them off of someone...
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 03:32   #126
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

2 - alternate dimensions open OH so many possiblities

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 9 Aug 2004, 11:36   #127
No Dachi

It's too late, we've already settled on the first one

For reference, we did have the thread up yesterday, but then Crazy deleted it for reasons I'm unsure of.

Unread 9 Aug 2004, 19:16   #128
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

No we havn't! Its still open!

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 10 Aug 2004, 19:56   #129
Wo2
The Janitor!

Well how about a fourth option if your intrested... I'e got one... But it may do for a later teir thing. PM me if your cuirious
Unread 13 Aug 2004, 20:09   #130
Wo2
The Janitor!

Failing that. My moneys on option 2.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 01:51   #131
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

Im confuzzled, is this the intrest thread or the thread.

If its the thread, we need action.

If not, POST THE DAMNED THREAD BEFORE WE ALL DIE OF ANTICIPATION!

that is all
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 03:00   #132
Wo2
The Janitor!

[ooc] Confuzzled... Do I know you? thats a very popular saying where I'm from (at least with my friends) [/ooc]

This would be the intrest thread

Last edited by Wo2; 14 Aug 2004 at 20:17.
Wo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 09:32   #133
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disrupter
Im confuzzled, is this the intrest thread or the thread.
I thought the title was a dead give away

Quote:

If not, POST THE DAMNED THREAD BEFORE WE ALL DIE OF ANTICIPATION!
Be patient fs. Its coming.

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 11:00   #134
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

But I don't want to be patient
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 12:49   #135
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Curses. I do believe the creators of this thread have picked up on my dastly deed of endless anticipation through empty promises of "the thread will come", "the thread is coming along nicely", etc and then when RP'ers are just getting over the pain of not getting the thread, actually starting the thread when no one is ready for it hence increasing the pain and frustration.......

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 13:02   #136
No Dachi

It's going to be posted today you whiny bitches.

Unread 14 Aug 2004, 17:41   #137
Lakhim
Official Annoyance

Yay.

ND=God.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 19:24   #138
Wo2
The Janitor!

ND= Devil

That was just wrong... but I learned my lesson. I'm so sorry, even thought I was the least annoying... or mabey I was either way though I'm sorry.
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 19:48   #139
Crazyboy
'Insanity Prevails'

Crazy = God
ND = Demi God

*Makes a note to crush Lakhim*

Quote:
Zen Master Ellis says:
I admit defeat...

Heil Crazy!
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 19:50   #140
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

it depends, do u live in America Wo2?

if so then it remotely possible.

If not then tremble at mere mentioning of my supreme countries name!!!!
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:
Unread 14 Aug 2004, 20:19   #141
Wo2
The Janitor!

I Am Canadian! Proud of it to. The beers better here... what is that stuff you yankees drink? Dish soap?
Unread 15 Aug 2004, 13:05   #142
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quote:
it depends, do u live in America Wo2?

if so then it remotely possible.

If not then tremble at mere mentioning of my supreme countries name!!!!
Mwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:
Your gonna re-elect George dubbya?

*Trembles at the scope of the stupidity *

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 08:14   #143
Flaag
I have returned! (again)

know the ftl thing has already been settled, but i have a small suggestion, the sphere of icey particles surrounding each system is kinda unlikely, just say that the drives dont work in a gravity well (like in some sci fi books). thus giving a reason why they werent discovered until after STL travel was used to get out of the solar system, and a way of stopping pll waping right to a planet, you were most of the way to this with the gravity mines thing anyway
Unread 17 Aug 2004, 12:14   #144
No Dachi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaag
know the ftl thing has already been settled, but i have a small suggestion, the sphere of icey particles surrounding each system is kinda unlikely,
The Kuiper Belt is a proven fact, not conjecture, and so, I think, is the Oort Cloud.