User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 26 Sep 2004, 14:27   #1
von Staufenburg
Grand Fleet *******

von Staufenburg is an unknown quantity at this point
Alliances and IRC

First of all, this is not intended to be a rant on my part, so I apologise if it turns into one.

I don't have IRC. there, I said it. Because of the nature of the computers (my university computers) I have to use to log into Planetarion, for some reason, they reject IRC. In all it's forms, MIRC, even the Com Unit. I just can't use IRC, whenever I try, I get a "cannot connect to server" message.

Now, this is very annoying in itself, VERY annoying. However, what is worse, is that every single decent alliance requires IRC activity. I understand why, and if I was them, I would do the same I think, I'm not suggesting they stop asking for it, or make an exception with me (although I wouldn't say no ;-) ). Also, I know by posting this, no decent alliance will ever touch me again :-)

However, I would like to ask the good people out there for advice, what can I do on PA without IRC? If anything? when I was playing before, (round 3/4) IRC was handy, but not compulsory!

Oh well, anyway, I think I had to vent a bit of steam there, but also, if you guys do have any ideas about what I could do to solve my problem, I would be very gratefull to hear them. Other than this, I am usually very active.
von Staufenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 14:30   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Alliances and IRC

have you tried connecting to port 80 on the irc servers?

have you tried using a cgi irc type thingy? i believe pa uses a java one, which runs locally on your machine. a cgi one would be pretty much like viewing a webpage, so should be ok.

-mist
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 14:35   #3
von Staufenburg
Grand Fleet *******

awesome, and thanks for the suggestion, but how? Where do I go to access the cgi IRC?
von Staufenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 16:01   #4
The Real Arfy

The Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Real Arfy has a reputation beyond repute

This is my favourite one: irc.kharkov.net/cgi-bin/irc.cgi?adv=1
The Real Arfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 16:24   #5
von Staufenburg
Grand Fleet *******

ah! my computer is so poor quality, it still doesn't work, I'll have t otry something else, well, thanks for your time anyway people!
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 17:28   #6
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

You can connect to the IRC servers at alternate ports directly by doing this in mIRC:

/server london.uk.eu.netgamers.org 8000

or

/server firefly.no.eu.netgamers.org 8080

Neither servers have port 80 open.
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 18:04   #7
Jackal2112

Jackal2112 is infamous around these partsJackal2112 is infamous around these parts

sadly, a lot of companies / schools have firewalls which only let's traffic go out on port 80...
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 18:26   #8
von Staufenburg
Grand Fleet *******

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
have you tried connecting to port 80 on the irc servers?
-mist
so is there a way to connect to port 80? and get on IRC?
Unread 26 Sep 2004, 18:45   #9
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Jester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond reputeJester has a reputation beyond repute

Moving this to an appropriate forum for help.
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 01:33   #10
Quazi Starbucks
Heh

Quazi Starbucks is an unknown quantity at this point

yes, a server is on port 80 something.de

check www.netgamers.org
Quazi Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 03:52   #11
Jester
Pedantic hypocrite

Apparantly you're too useless to check it yourself. Trustnet delinked ages ago.
Unread 28 Sep 2004, 21:23   #12
god113
Ex-Player

god113 has a spectacular aura aboutgod113 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Staufenburg
First of all, this is not intended to be a rant on my part, so I apologise if it turns into one.

I don't have IRC. there, I said it. Because of the nature of the computers (my university computers) I have to use to log into Planetarion, for some reason, they reject IRC. In all it's forms, MIRC, even the Com Unit. I just can't use IRC, whenever I try, I get a "cannot connect to server" message.

Now, this is very annoying in itself, VERY annoying. However, what is worse, is that every single decent alliance requires IRC activity. I understand why, and if I was them, I would do the same I think, I'm not suggesting they stop asking for it, or make an exception with me (although I wouldn't say no ;-) ). Also, I know by posting this, no decent alliance will ever touch me again :-)

However, I would like to ask the good people out there for advice, what can I do on PA without IRC? If anything? when I was playing before, (round 3/4) IRC was handy, but not compulsory!

Oh well, anyway, I think I had to vent a bit of steam there, but also, if you guys do have any ideas about what I could do to solve my problem, I would be very gratefull to hear them. Other than this, I am usually very active.

Argh, firewalls so suck. I had this problem when I was at school. I ended up leaving mirc on at home with a script so it would post everything said to a .php that would write it in a text file. So I had to sit at school pressing 'refresh' on my little textfile. And then I had to post in another .php file what I wanted to say and the mirc would check every 5 or so seconds to see if I wanted to say something new, and if so it would say it. It was the suckiest thing ever, but it did technecally work. ^__^ Not that I would advise doing something like that though, too frustrating. Maybe if you're absoloutely totally desperate and don't mind a poor poor irc experience

(I guess for the original mirc where the script is you could put it on a friends :P)
god113 is offline   Reply With Quote