User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Dec 2003, 16:24   #1
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
"peeeeep" "peeeeep", my monitor goes

I just installed my brand new Radeon 9600XT, and been fiddling around with some standard settings, but I have a bit of a problem.
Now with the new card my monitor makes this annoying high-pitched noise on certain resolutions. Hence, all 4:3 resolutions above 800*600 (1024*768, 1280*960) give this irritating noise. A resolution of 1280*1024 (5:4 ratio) works just fine.
My old card (a Geforce2 TI) didn't cause this problem.

It wouldn't be such a problem if I would only work on my desktop, but I sometimes like to play a game, and these games only work on native 4:3 resolutions, and result in this irritating noise from my monitor.

Anyway, some more details:

Card: Sapphire Radeon 9600 XT (256mb memory)
Driver: 25.04 Catalyst-omega driver
Monitor: Philips 107T (17", almost 3 years old)
Games tested: Battlefield1942 (it DOES look pretty tho )
Resolutions that show the problem: 1024*768, 1280*960
OK resolutions: 800*600, 1280*1024
Refreshrates that show the problem: ALL

How can I fix this?

TY!
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 16:37   #2
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: "peeeeep" "peeeeep", my monitor goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I just installed my brand new Radeon 9600XT
Bastard
Quote:
Why is my monitor making a high pitch noise?
Magnetic field interference stimulates the oscillation to cause the high pitch noise; it will not affect the performance of the monitor. There are 2 way to minimize/eliminate to noise:
- change the refresh rate
- tilt up/down the monitor physically
Quote:
Noise: Monitor makes a noisy high pitch squeal

There are a number of things that can cause a whiny high-pitched sound. It is almost always due to vibration of a component in the horizontal circuits, most often the flyback transformer or horizontal output transformer. Some times a good whack to the side sometimes temporarily fixes the problem. It will not get better over time only worse.

A service technician should be able to find the offending component and either replaces it, remount it, or add some material, which will stop the vibration. It may also stop if you simply run the monitor at a different resolution or refresh rate.

Loose or bad components in the horizontal scan circuit, needs repair.
Sounds like there's not really an easy fix, other than the 'smack it' temp fix
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 16:40   #3
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I was going to say refresh rate, til you spoiled my fun by mentioning it at the bottom
Staying on the RR track, do different rates change the noise in any way (louder, softer, higher pitch, lower pitch)?

The only time I encounter a similar problem is when my monitor is at 1152 x 864 @ 75Hz (the highest it can do in that resolution, which is the one I use most of the time). Then I get a high pitch whining noise.
I'm never sure if that's just me or not though, since other people claim not to be able to hear anything. I can also generally hear if a TV is on in another room even if it's just on a blank screen because of a similar noise. I suppose some people's hearing is more sensitive to high pitch levels than others.

Why the change of graphics adaptor caused this though, I'm a bit stumped. Maybe it drives the monitor in a slightly different way? I don't know the ins and outs of the actual operational link between the card and the monitor, so I don't know how much control (if any) the card can exert over the monitor etc.
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 16:50   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Smacking it doesn't work. Neither does tilting.
And ONLY on 4:3 resolutions. That's the oddest.
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 17:11   #5
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society

Check if the card is well placed.

Put the old one back in and try it, then put the new back again.

Is the pc away from the screen ?
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 17:51   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
Check if the card is well placed.

Is the pc away from the screen ?
I just took the card out, and placed it back again. It's well placed.
The PC is located on the floor, and the monitor stands quite high. So there is no interference from it. Also speakers are not placed directly next to the monitor, and even then, they are off.

BTW, I should mention that the noise is getting less. It now only occurs on screen with lots of light colors (like white backgrounds). Dark screens (like this forum) doesn't cause the nnoise anymore.

Is there something like a work-in-time for a monitor, like it needing some time to adjust itself to the new adapter?
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 17:53   #7
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

How strange.
Cross your fingers and hope it's just one of those things that resolves itself.
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 20:21   #8
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

And otherwise, hit it again
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 20:34   #9
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Tried changing drivers?

Cat 3.7's work for me, not tried any other Cat driver though.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Dec 2003, 22:01   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I tried catalyst 3.10 after a while, the problem was still there. But magically it stopped making noise now, after a few hours and reboots. Even at 1280*960 and under games it works fine too now.
I guess the thing needed a bit of time to perhaps adjust to the new card that perhaps drives it in a different way?

BTW, the new card makes everything much prettier. This is a HUGE improvement to my Geforce2.
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 00:11   #11
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
Bastard
Unread 31 Dec 2003, 01:35   #12
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
I tried catalyst 3.10 after a while, the problem was still there. But magically it stopped making noise now, after a few hours and reboots. Even at 1280*960 and under games it works fine too now.
I guess the thing needed a bit of time to perhaps adjust to the new card that perhaps drives it in a different way?

BTW, the new card makes everything much prettier. This is a HUGE improvement to my Geforce2.

hehe, i went from a Ti4200 to an R9800pro, was very ver y sweent indeed
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote