User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Roleplaying

Unread 11 Jul 2007, 13:19   #1
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold
Gauging Interest

I'm just curious on how many peeps are out there still checking this place once week, month, year, etc in the hope something will come up and bring back the good old days.....

*Loses self in nostalgia*

Anyway, main reason is I've got a concept worked out for a new RP. Don't get me wrong, this isn't just another spur of the moment thing like my previous failed attempts - I've put some serious thought into this. I have a good (so says I anyway) backstory and setting worked out, I've figured out in my minds eye how it'll play out and how I will run it and more importantly I've got a simple yet effective technique in place this time around (I hope).

It'll be along the lines of a medieval setting, where you run a kingdom (or whatever you decide to call it) and so forth but it should play out to something which I'm aiming will have a LH/rommey type feel to it. Stats will run in the background but you'll have a lot of freedom in what you do. I'll reveal more later...

The important thing is it'll be a slow progressional thing to take into account the fact that no one here has as much time as they used to, so hopefully people will actually be able to participate without putting there work/studies/lovelife/musing in jeopardy. Also it'll be setup where anyone can join at anytime and similarly should someone leave it will not kill the thread. In theory all I need is at least one person to progress (as playing with myself ain't all that fun.... well, not in this sense ).

So yeah, I know that doesn't sound like much but that is because this is just to let you know I have something in the works. I am going ahead with this, it is simply a matter of when and with how many people.

So yeah - questions and expressions of interest/distaste: fire away.

"One hour of thinking is better than 70 years of divine service."
- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Hewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 20:26   #2
ASME
DarkStar

ASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really niceASME is just really nice
Re: Gauging Interest

I for one am quite interested, the idea of crossing a Stratergy game with Roleplaying is quite appealing to me. I look forwards to more information and the such. And since I am at the moment waiting for Uni to start again, I do have a fair amout of spare time outside of work.

Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress.
ASME is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jul 2007, 21:16   #3
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

Well I'm still here, that'd sound good. I've never been much of one for the medival type RP's but i've recently taken refuge in a Medival/Fanatasy based RP somewhere else, so I'm more then game for it now.
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 10:59   #4
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

I'm interested.
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 15:29   #5
[IV-CL]Zappa
grote boze rocker

[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts

interested, willing, waiting for charcreationrules.

Sakra says:
I know you're just an angel in disguise...
... disguised as a very evil person for that matter
[IV-CL]Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jul 2007, 15:41   #6
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Rock my world baby.
Unread 13 Jul 2007, 04:26   #7
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

as usual, i m up for it.. but i ll just wait to see if anything happens..

[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]uked
rop1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Jul 2007, 14:49   #8
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

oh excellent stats in the back ground, I hate them in the fore ground obstructing my view of the battle. Yes and I will play.
Unread 15 Jul 2007, 09:52   #9
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Hewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to beholdHewitt is a splendid one to behold

Ok sweet. This is an excellent response. Bear in mind this is still early stages, but given the amount of people interested in this I will work hard to get things setup as quick as possible (but not too quick, because that's how I stuffed up the dune idea).

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 15 Jul 2007, 23:39   #10
mrmao
oh...sexy...

mrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the roughmrmao is a jewel in the rough

well if you need help drop me a line I will help were I can.
Unread 16 Jul 2007, 17:16   #11
Wo2
The Janitor!

Wo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to beholdWo2 is a splendid one to behold

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. Maybe willing to lend a hand, but some how I don't think I'd be the embodiment of Helpful
Unread 19 Jul 2007, 13:43   #12
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

lol... maybe two you can provide some entertainment for my "guests" while they wait?

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 10:18   #13
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Random list to show I'm not sitting on my arse as per normal.....

Basic (Fort) Units
- Peasants
- Slingers
- Woodsmen

Barracks Units
- Spearmen
- Milita
- Men-at-arms (requires armoury)
- Axemen (requires armoury)
- Pikemen (requires armoury)
- Halberders (requires armoury + blacksmith)
- Macemen (requires armoury + blacksmith)

Archery Range Units
- Archers
- Longbow
- Skimishers (Javalin)
- Crossbow (requires blacksmith)
- Alablasters (requires blacksmith)
- Pavise Crossbow (requires blacksmith + armoury)
- Pavise Alablasters (requires blacksmith + armoury)

Stable Units
- Scout
- Light Cavalry
- Medium Cavalry (requires armoury)
- Heavy Cavalry (requires armoury + blacksmith)
- Knights (requires armoury + blacksmith + jousting arena)
- Mounted archers (requires archery range)
- Mounted crossbow (requires archery range + blacksmith)

Siege Workshop Units
- Ballista
- Catapult
- Siege Ram (requires lumberyard)
- Siege Tower (requires lumberyard)
- Trebuchet (requires engineering guild)
- Mangonel (required engineering guild)

Dock units
- Galley (requires shipyard)
- Battle Galley (requires shipyard + archery range)
- Siege Galley (requires shipyard + siege workshop)
- Fire Galley (requires alchemists guild)

Temple Units
- Cleric
- Preacher
- Druid (requires complex)
- Warrior Monks (requires complex)
- Mystic (requires complex + palace)

Palace Units
- Emissary
- Assassin
- Royal Knights (requires stables + blacksmith + armoury + jousting arena)
- Dragonslayers (requires adventurers guild)
- Iron Maiden (requires fortress)

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 22 Jul 2007, 10:21   #14
mrmao
oh...sexy...

Hmm very nice. Lots of variety and should be fun to play with.
Unread 23 Jul 2007, 19:28   #15
Huracan
El Chupacabra

Huracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the roughHuracan is a jewel in the rough

Always in the background, always down........
Huracan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 Jul 2007, 17:12   #16
Wo2
The Janitor!

Ooo... This look intresting, though I must say I'm curious about the Iron Maiden palace unit.

Other note, you planning on allowing custom units like in your dune thread or is this going to be a strickly stock units RP?
Unread 28 Jul 2007, 04:44   #17
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

I will be allowing custom units yes, but it will be purely on a description basis.

That means basically that you won't really have an idea of how effective they will be until you actually use them (Although, I'll probably give you a vague idea).

Think of the "Iron Maiden" as a kind of uber-assassin for now.

edit: I should also mention at this point that you'll all be playing along side some (stronger) NPC kingdoms as well which are likely to have their own special units. The list above is more of a backbone unit list - I'm also considering limiting the areas where some types of building can be constructed so not everyone will have access to the same units in the beginning.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!

Last edited by Hewitt; 28 Jul 2007 at 04:49.
Unread 29 Jul 2007, 01:25   #18
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Ur_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the roughUr_Quan is a jewel in the rough

At this point I'm wondering if this will be mainly a strategy thread or that there is also room for other things like character building and politics between players? Also, will each of us be a king with their own kingdom, or are we starting out as counts, barons and earls etc. and are we all sucking up to the same king(s) to try and get more power?
Unread 5 Aug 2007, 12:59   #19
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

As far as character building is concerned I truely hope so. You most likely will not succeed in certain circumstances if you cannot think beyond the stats. I've delibrately set myself to be somewhat flexible in some parts - you bloody well should take advantage of that

As for politics yes definately but you will have to use emissaries. Part of the whole idea of the tech level I will be using is to give some scope of the isolation of this era. Emissaries are your main form of communication... unless you can devise other means.

I just also what to say that I have put the background story into writing and I will put it up once I have the thing typed up. It is not a necessity to read this background but it should give you some idea of the world you are stepping into (I hope - its been a while) and perhaps inspire some idea of the kinda of kingdom you want to start with.

And you will be starting with your own kingdom, whether you finish with one well... thats up to you.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 11:55   #20
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Ooh, not only does my account still exist, this place still exists too.

Don't forget the magic Hewitt, the magic (And the dragons, elves, gnomes, orcs and other wacky races.)

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Aug 2007, 19:49   #21
Wo2
The Janitor!

I was wondering when you'd show up again flapjack.

Anyway, this is really starting to nip my intrest here. I think I'm going to realy enjoy working the politics and communications side of things. Nothing like a emmisary with his own greedy little agenda to start a few unplanned wars.
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 11:23   #22
flapjack
crashed computer

flapjack is infamous around these parts

Obviously the wrong place to ask, but I don't see any better places.

What ever happened to the IRC channels? I am currently on irc.starlink.org #ADnD irc.nightstar.net #DnD and irc.undernet.org #S-Run and #DnD

I'm currently running a DnD 3.5e game on Starlink (Presently on hold) and a ShadowRun 3rd edition game on Undernet.

It seems that #rpgal on Netgamers no longer exists though

<Gryffin> ungrateful wretches
<Gryffin> they should be here!
<Gryffin> so I can grace them with my presence
flapjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Aug 2007, 21:23   #23
Darkling
Planetarion Forum Moderator

Darkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to beholdDarkling is a splendid one to behold

The reason is we all stopped going there so it resulted in the channel going inactive, people stopped showing up, accounts being lost, etc. All coming down to the fact that the owners and co owner of channel probably lost their accounts so it was removed I guess. I for one know i have not been on IRC in months and do not really plan on returning there anytime soon. So I am only really guessing here but that seems more than likely if rpgal was in the state it was when I was last in it.
Darkling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Aug 2007, 23:20   #24
bradleykins

bradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these parts

Im keen on trying this tbh, got an eta yet?
bradleykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 14:09   #25
Fluffie
, Mr. Fluffie

Fluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to beholdFluffie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffie
Rock my world baby.
Unread 13 Aug 2007, 19:59   #26
[IV-CL]Zappa
grote boze rocker

[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts[IV-CL]Zappa is infamous around these parts
eta y3k-x. x hopefully being a 3digit number with a y infront of it, and another number with an m

Sakra says:
Unread 14 Aug 2007, 14:33   #27
bradleykins

bradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these partsbradleykins is infamous around these parts

Indeed
bradleykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 12:32   #28
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

lol

I have been a little inundated of late but it was expected and things are back on track. I have the first two portions up, many more to come however over the next few days hopefully. Not much to the backstory yet, just stretching some virtual muscles that haven't been used in a while so to speak.

Oh and as it says in the new thread, you got any questions post 'em here, ta

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 18:14   #29
Wo2
The Janitor!

And for the briefiest of moments while I read the introduction, I could swear I heard the voice of Leonard Nimoy narrating it. Then it was gone again.
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 19:56   #30
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

I had a similar experience.

I also have a question.

I was wondering whether or not there'd be a lot of magic and stuff in this thread. Personally, I'd prefer it if there wasn't a fireball hurling wizard on every doorstep. I wouldn;t want it to be devoid of any magic either (after all, there be dragons here too), but these wizards, or loremasters should be hard to find. Anyways; dabbling in magic is probably considered to be blashpemy against the gods of order and creation and any proven heretic should be burned at the stake without mercy, right?
Unread 16 Aug 2007, 22:24   #31
rop1964
F Crew

rop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nicerop1964 is just really nice

so the next question is how do we build units and deploy them.. :-)

Unread 17 Aug 2007, 14:09   #32
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

With money of course, this will still have a few strategy fundementals.

In regards to magic or "magicks" as I am refering to them ('cause it just sounds nifty k?) it'll be more on the level of spiritual/ritualistic - LotR is probably a good comparison of the magic level I am after. I'll get to magic later however, one step at a time as they say.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 17 Aug 2007, 21:08   #33
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Excellent.
Unread 17 Aug 2007, 21:12   #34
Wo2
The Janitor!

Money is fundemental? Here I was just going to walk out to a field and tell all the serfs to rise up in rebellion against the false king! Still I bet I could get them to move quicker if I offered money too.

Lord of the Ring's type magic eh, That makes it kind of intresting doesn't it? Sure no wizards flying around shooting armies with giant lighting bolts, but this is a far more civilized magic, a more intresting one.

I look forward to this with much anticipation.
Unread 17 Aug 2007, 21:51   #35
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo2
Money is fundemental? Here I was just going to walk out to a field and tell all the serfs to rise up in rebellion against the false king! Still I bet I could get them to move quicker if I offered money too.

Lord of the Ring's type magic eh, That makes it kind of intresting doesn't it? Sure no wizards flying around shooting armies with giant lighting bolts, but this is a far more civilized magic, a more intresting one.

I look forward to this with much anticipation.

Indeed. Money is fundamental. However, I'll be sure to put a large bounty on the outlaw "Wo2 in the Hood". After all, the way to a man's obedience is through his pocket.
Unread 18 Aug 2007, 05:15   #36
rop1964
F Crew

and how do we get that money?.. lol

Unread 18 Aug 2007, 13:16   #37
Ur_Quan
some induhvidual

Through taxes of course! We bleed the people dry just so that we can have wild orgies and wage expensive wars!
Unread 18 Aug 2007, 16:51   #38
-=10us=-

-=10us=- is on a distinguished road

this sounds like travian . com
-=10us=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Aug 2007, 22:04   #39
Wo2
The Janitor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ur_Quan
Indeed. Money is fundamental. However, I'll be sure to put a large bounty on the outlaw "Wo2 in the Hood". After all, the way to a man's obedience is through his pocket.
So does that mean if I turn my self in I can collect the reward? After which I shall make a dazzling escape in a dashing rouge kind of way.
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 17:26   #40
[IV-CL]Zappa
grote boze rocker

or be hung from a tree.

Sakra says:
Unread 21 Aug 2007, 21:21   #41
Wo2
The Janitor!

That's always a option.
Unread 26 Aug 2007, 02:00   #42
Your Brains

Your Brains is an unknown quantity at this point

Give me the rules and I am in too.
Your Brains is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Aug 2007, 13:12   #43
Hewitt
The Aussie Dragon

Quick update - sorry for the slow going and all - big things happening atm - but I did mention (I think) that this was going to take some time. The section I'm re-typing has blown out a bit also but I'm hoping it'll more of a worthwhile read than the brief "narration" already up.

- Muhammad

Viva la TITO!
Unread 5 Sep 2007, 11:51   #44
tommir
Strange Entity

tommir has a spectacular aura abouttommir has a spectacular aura abouttommir has a spectacular aura about

Any update as to when the thread can start? My settlers are starting to give me looks when I tell them we have to wait for a dragon with a funny accent to tell us where we can set up shop.

Last edited by tommir; 5 Sep 2007 at 14:06.
tommir is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Sep 2007, 05:50   #45
Disrupter
Sniping pigeons

Disrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to allDisrupter is a name known to all

Holy crap....

I figures 'hey why not check the ol RP stomping grounds' and theres a new thread starting up.

AND the background is changed!

I cant even handle this anymore...

Im game though, lets do this!

And now that ive actually read all of the posts.... I think character creation would be good cause we could be the rulers of empire or w/e and be like "Lord Duke commands his minions well. 'Release the flying monkies!' The monkeys were released with supreme skill."

Or some such nonsense...

*posted as of october 5th* so much for the revival. Bye planetarion threads, see you in two years!

Last edited by Disrupter; 5 Oct 2007 at 05:19.
Disrupter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Oct 2007, 23:36   #46
rop1964
F Crew

lol guys.. just got to hold on.. :-)

Unread 15 Oct 2007, 04:57   #47
Landor Maxim

Landor Maxim is an unknown quantity at this point

Try to keep it in perspective or some resemblance to realism.

That is no wizardry etc try to work out inovated upgrades and scientific developments with specialized weapons. You can cross develop technologies by allying with different tribes so that you could blend two types of weapons together.
Landor Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Dec 2007, 22:19   #48
Wo2
The Janitor!

Aaaaannnnnndddd Still holding on...
Unread 30 Dec 2007, 09:38   #49
Mad cat
The Dust Bunny That Bites

Mad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to beholdMad cat is a splendid one to behold

For our very.... Thingy? No... Maybe unlife. Cause it sure as hell aint survival no more.
Unread 20 Jan 2008, 19:00   #50
rop1964
F Crew

start wondering how long it s gonna take to see something happen.. lol still holding on..