User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 6 Sep 2003, 23:51   #1
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

WebAngel is an unknown quantity at this point
Farming is still very attractive for PA-X

Spinner told us that it wont be of any use to farm but if i have understand the beta well the more you are attacking the weak planets the bigger you will be.
Since those planets can recover easily thanks to the new rules then they can be 'farmed' even more, so what did i miss?
I have been told "yes but hes thinking you dont get the added points for attacking bigger people" but it's not correct since you don't get anything from the large planets which always have huge def. better to get a few than nothing at all.
I have started playing like 2 days ago and got 700 roids and a decent score in no time attacking the planets with 30% of my score. Now I am big enough to be targetted by the largest planets of the beta and nobody is attacking me but those who are 3-5 times my size.

Hence, if nothing is changed then farming is gonna be very interesting (more than before actually) and the newcomers won't stand a chance this round either.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:25   #2
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute
well in a way you can never prevent it from happening, the smaller will always have to pay for the roids of the bigger ones in some way, that will never change. But with the paid universe in the real pa its going to be totally different then it is in beta now. So its quite hard to tell from the beta how the actual game will be concerning farms etc. The 10 minute ticks make it hard for any planet to get defence, you will miss alot of ticks, which won't be missed with 1 hour ticks.

+ real farmers will be watched more closely as we have seen last round with the number of cheater being closed down, i don' think it will become a problem in r10
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 00:31   #3
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

Quote:
Originally posted by Wandows
well in a way you can never prevent it from happening, the smaller will always have to pay for the roids of the bigger ones in some way, that will never change. But with the paid universe in the real pa its going to be totally different then it is in beta now. So its quite hard to tell from the beta how the actual game will be concerning farms etc. The 10 minute ticks make it hard for any planet to get defence, you will miss alot of ticks, which won't be missed with 1 hour ticks.

+ real farmers will be watched more closely as we have seen last round with the number of cheater being closed down, i don' think it will become a problem in r10
beta and PA-X totally different? so what this beta is for?
Its not that hard to get some def. try to attack a top10 planet and tell me if you can get thru.... I bet that you wont.

Concerning the farmers, then I can tell you (but I guess that you know it already) that some are already working on a pyramid scoring/roid system... they can farm without being multis and since the farms can recover easily and in no time it wont be an issue for them to grow faster than the rest of the universe and nothing will be illegal on those attacks but the fact that they wont get much/the proper def. hence there is no chance to catch them as cheaters.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 11:31   #4
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
I think the problem here is that we have short ticks, no strong alliances at war, and a set of people used to old-PA tactics.

Bashing and defending heavily are the necessary skills for old-PA, but they are not the best things to do in PaX.

Given that you get score for killing ships, and attacking fleets largely consist of 1 ship class that the target is weak against, and such a fleet can only target at most 3 of the 4 possible classes, how long will it be before fleetcatching returning ships with the classe(s) they don't hit becomes the favoured tactic?

With 1-tick defence, how will one of these big planets that always gets defence cope with 20 consecutive ticks of dummy attacks from 1k fighters followed by a real attack of 1k battleships?

With 1 hour ticks and larger alliances we will see a change in tactics all round.

Farming has always had 1 huge drawback, that it makes you a juicy target. Currently people are scared of juicy targets, but in the real game I think they will torture juicy targets mercilessly.
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 12:44   #5
Morden
The Face Of Evil

Morden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to beholdMorden is a splendid one to behold
most people players dont actually attack for roids once they get to a certain size, Myself I tend to focus mainly on doing retals and defence, on the retals i just set my fleet to bombard the structures and thus gain a lot of score, in real pa it should be quite a lot different as gaining roids in the first place will be harder.

Most defence in a good galaxy can be done ingal without huge amounts of aid from an alliance, with 1 hour ticks, getting defence wont be much of a problem, thus the tactics employed by the BC's will make more of a difference.
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 13:20   #6
WebAngel
Honour & Loyalty

Morden, you know like me that when you are big the first days of that game then almost nobody will attack you. Such a farming strategy wont give you much more score but you will get that score faster than the other and that will give you a tremendous advantage for the rest of the round...
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 17:16   #7
cbk100

cbk100 is an unknown quantity at this point
You all forget one little detail which is actualy rather important.

For a single player farming will ALWAYS have a positive effect. For 10 players doing it in the same alliance it will have a positive effect for those 10 persons, but it will be a huge disadvantage for the rest. And then you might ask how it can be a disadvantage but its simply for the fact that when the real game is running then there will be war between the alliances... OFC. if you can NAP or ally all other alliances and therfore make sure that you will not be attacked. Then farming is still an advantage, BUT that is not very likely to happen.
What will most likely happen is that all alliances will be in the fight and all will give incomings and all will get incomings. Basicly its NEVER effective to steal roids from your allies(farming) cause then you just move streangth from one planet to another (I know your point here WA that it will not be a totaly even cause the farm can recover faster). You need to use all your power to fight the enemy cause if you don't attack them then they will have all their resources free and you can be quite sure that those resources will be spend attacking you and your alliance and ofc. they will get trough on some targets. So maybe you gain something from farming, but remember that you take what you gain from yourself (your allies) instead of the enemy so maybe totaly you gain lets say 10% score/roids/whatever, but those 10% you will most likely lose from the attacks the enemy do on you and your allies. So all in all you and your alliance has gained nothing but your enemies has gained 10%.
Basicly farming is for egoistic players who plays more for themself than for the alliance cause farming will bennefit yourself but hurt your alliance.

Ofc there are some teoretical political situations that could happen in the universe which makes it good for the alliance to organize farming, but that will most likely be public since its kinda imposible to keep organized fariming secret and then the other alliance can easily counter the situation and spend a few ticks attacking the alliance which had planned to farm and mess everything up for them... and don't remember the factor that PA HQ MIGHT see the farming and close your planet(s).

And don't forget the little factor that you might have ppl in your gal that sees that you farm... wouldn't be the first time that such things happen.
/me looks at some of his interesting pics that he got from some of his spies from the beginning of last round.

Just remember WA that as well as there are advantages by farming then tere are disadvantages... We have random gals so I think the disadvantages are a bit too big for everyone who thinks of farming...

cbk
cbk100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2003, 22:01   #8
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Go ahead, make my day.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 01:30   #9
Zh|l
Inquisitor

Zh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himZh|l is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Go ahead, make my day.
*bang*

Zhil
[Spore] Executive
[1up]
[Fury]
Inquisitorial Lord Protector of His Emperor's Glorius Empire
[20:19:04] <mazzelaar> I have to say a big up to Zhil - without those 8 def calls you covered we would've been screwed. | r12 End Ceremony
Zh|l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 05:29   #10
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Zh|l
*bang*
CLOSED GUILTY DELETED NEXT.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 06:54   #11
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
CLOSED GUILTY DELETED NEXT.
PARRACIDA IN BEING JBOY SHOCKER! NEWS AT TEN!
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Sep 2003, 13:39   #12
Al_zz
ensign forever

Al_zz is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by cbk100
And don't forget the little factor that you might have ppl in your gal that sees that you farm... wouldn't be the first time that such things happen.
Actually someone can easily farm score by letting himself get attacked by his farm and then kill that attack fleet. This is hard to detect even by your galm8s cause it might look like a legitimate attack. Only risk is that they'll defend it but you might easily say that you can manage or that you will send away the shipclass that are targetted by the incomings.

Alos since you don't have to move your fleet in order to famr score it is not realy possible to link the farm actions to yourself (unless you launch from same IP or message each other in game). So even if it is noticed that you get to regular incomings from a certain planet sacraficing ships it will be almost impossible to be closed for it as your active participation in the score famring is extremly hard to prove.

hAl
Al_zz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Sep 2003, 07:17   #13
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold
Webby think outside the box

Andy_R has got the nail on the head. People need to think slightly more in terms of rnd 2 than later rounds, it's quite possible once you reach a critical mass to stop giving a flying fk about roids. And the best defence is as Andy points out, fleet catching nicely, since it boosts the alliance's score in the landing more than the alliance lost in the attack, and it drops the opponant.

Defence can now gain you score true, but the best methods will involve local defence rather than alliance defence. Alliance's are all going to be about "oh yeah he's near me, I'll catch him" and to do this wilkl need a wide variety of ship classes (some CR and BS from terrans, some FR CR from cat some fi fr from zik and xan and thus being flexible in who catches who for optimum effect).

Glad to see the right alliances still have the right people coming up with "the plan"

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote