User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:14   #1
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of
The Science of Intelligent Design

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4248679.stm

Quote:
"Because Darwin's Theory is a theory, it continues to be tested as new evidence is discovered. The Theory is not a fact. Gaps in the Theory exist for which there is no evidence. A theory is defined as a well-tested explanation that unifies a broad range of observations. Intelligent Design is an explanation of the origin of life that differs from Darwin's view."
It's hardly science, though, is it? Surely this is covered in religious studies or something of a similar ilk.

Quote:
The science teachers at the school refused to read the statement and some parents, backed by the American Civil Liberties Union and Americans United for Separation of Church and State are suing.
Absolutely rediculous. Does freedom of speech not extend to freedom of what not to speak? On what basis could these science teachers be sued? I am truly amazed.

Quote:
They will be taken on a journey 6,000 years back in time, to the Garden of Eden, to a time when the creators believe dinosaurs and man roamed the earth side-by-side.
There are still people who believe that?! Probably because they all got taught creationism in their physics lessons :-/
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:15   #2
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: The Science of Intelligent Design

The monkey trials: take 91.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:15   #3
Belgarath The Sorcerer
First Disciple of Aldur

Belgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud ofBelgarath The Sorcerer has much to be proud of

Oh no.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:17   #4
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Anyone want to help me build a Stark?
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:21   #5
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL-9000
Absolutely rediculous.
'ridiculous'
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:22   #6
HAL-9000
I'm great!

HAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud ofHAL-9000 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
'ridiculous'
Thanks...
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:43   #7
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Just to play devil's advocate, how is Inteligent Design any less well proven?

you know there are some people that describe "the big bang" as the 'how' to the "Divine Creation" 'why'.

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 17:48   #8
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAdnRisKy
Just to play devil's advocate, how is Inteligent Design any less well proven?
There is no evidence for it at all.

That's a pretty good way for it to be less well proven.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:02   #9
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
There is no evidence for it at all.

That's a pretty good way for it to be less well proven.
you're beginning to see it aren't you....

Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:13   #10
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Exclamation Re: The Science of Intelligent Design

Quote:
you're beginning to see it aren't you....
Look into my eyes look into my eyes don't look around the eyes, the eyes the eyes, you're under.

When you wake up you will not, I repeat, not post ambiguous waffle on GD.

One, two, three, and you're back again.
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:19   #11
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson
Look into my eyes look into my eyes don't look around the eyes, the eyes the eyes, you're under.

Ambiguous waffle is his strong point. I'm glad I didn't attend school in America if this is going on.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:26   #12
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

STUPID DESIGN MORE LIKE!!!
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:32   #13
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Hopefully the term 'Intelligent Design' is a good thing. It shows that the Creationists are trying to make their nonsense sould plausable by giving it a more scientific sounding name.' I hope everyone who encounters this is able to see through this make-over and the idea finally dies, at least until some actual evidence arises which actually gives it the slightest hint of credbility, which is unlikely. Religion attempting to hold science back has been around for hundreds of years, if not thousands of years. the earth is round, the universe revolves around the sun. there is no reason, apart from the decline in church power, in part thanks to the rise of science , that the church has become any more open-minded than it has to. So every discovery which is made is essentially (hopefully) another nail in the coffin of organised religion and it's dogma.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
All Systems Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:36   #14
Dace
so f*cking zen

Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dace has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
So every discovery which is made is essentially (hopefully) another nail in the coffin of organised religion and it's dogma.

Budhism has always seemed pretty cool to me.

I have not studied it in any great depth so i am amiable to being instructed in how wrong i am.

Christianity/Islam/Judiasm i wouldn't mind see dying (or at least its effect on Government policty) tho.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:41   #15
All Systems Go

All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.All Systems Go has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
Budhism has always seemed pretty cool to me.

I have not studied it in any great depth so i am amiable to being instructed in how wrong i am.

Christianity/Islam/Judiasm i wouldn't mind see dying (or at least its effect on Government policty) tho.
Indeed, I have no problems with Budhism and have considered following it myself, but I can't really be bothered.

I was generally referring to Christianity/Islam/Judaism, but specifically Christianity as that is the religion I am more familiar with. As long as a religion doesn't try too be too preachy and tell you what to do, how to act, how to think etc I don't really have a problem with it. I believe personal faith can be a good thing, institutionalised faith is not.
The 20th century has been characterised by three developments of great political importance. The growth of democracy; the growth of corporate power; and the growth of corporate propaganda as a means of protecting corporate power against democracy.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:44   #16
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

ok, for the record (these things always need spelling out don't they) I'm not christian, and I don't go for the creation story as entirely plausible, let alone proveable HOWEVER ....

Darwinism doesn't hold up terribly well either. For one thing it's WAY too quick in some areas and WAY too slow in others and if you're all as so terribly well read on the subject as you make out to be then you'll know this.

Also it would make me smile, if just for once a significantly proportioned group of people could all collectively appreciate the difference between a christian faith, and a christian religion. You may be pleasently suprised by the former, seeing as how by the sounds of it, we're all in agreement about how tiring and out dated the later is.

Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:47   #17
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn Manson

1) back in the room again.

2) lollyroffle @ ambiguous waffle
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:50   #18
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
Darwinism doesn't hold up terribly well either. For one thing it's WAY too quick in some areas and WAY too slow in others and if you're all as so terribly well read on the subject as you make out to be then you'll know this.

I have a degree in Genetics.

What i was taught about evolution at Uni makes perfect sense.

FUNNILY ENOUGH THE THEORY HAS ADVANCED A LITTLE SINCE DARWIN FIRST "THOUGHT IT UP"!
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:53   #19
All Systems Go

Quote:
But the thing is, science adapts and it' theories develop depending on the evidence. Darwinism may very possibly be incorrect but once a more practical theory that fits the evidence is put forward then that will take over Darwinism If science ever fails to do this then ithe institutions become stagnant and pointless, just like organised religion.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:54   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Either you're utterly misunderstanding how a random process works, or there's something you should go and tell the people I know at the university Genetics Department.

You see, they're of the opinion that Evolutionary Theory has such a body of evidence behind it that only a madman would consider it lacking in justification.

Yes, I said Evolutionary Theory. Because, believe it or not, straight "Darwinism" hasn't been the thang in that field for quite some time.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 18:59   #21
Dace
so f*cking zen

When Mark and I agree NOTHING CAN STOP US!
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 19:00   #22
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dace
When Mark and I agree NOTHING CAN STOP US!
I disagree.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:06   #23
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Systems Go
But the thing is, science adapts and it' theories develop depending on the evidence. Darwinism may very possibly be incorrect but once a more practical theory that fits the evidence is put forward then that will take over Darwinism If science ever fails to do this then ithe institutions become stagnant and pointless, just like organised religion.
on this principal then, disprove creationism and you have a valid reason to take it off a sylabus.

Mark, I'm sure that "knocking" darwinism is not going to be a popular move (and I'd like to point out that i don't have a degree in genetics infact I am not from a science back ground - I don't count social sciences as science) but oh well . Explain to me then how in terms of performance we have seen little improvement in say the milk production of a freesian cow (without using humans selectively breeding the cows). Because to me it would seem that if left to their own devices they'd rather strive towards a state of entropy. Such a "natural balance" is infact something central to a creationist arguement.

Anyway this conversation will probably start going over my head once all you bofins start using big words...

Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:14   #24
Yahwe
I am.

Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Yahwe has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
on this principal then, disprove creationism and you have a valid reason to take it off a sylabus.
i don't think you understand, we'd need a valid reason to put it on a syllabus.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:14   #25
All Systems Go

Quote:
You can't disprove a negative.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:33   #26
LHC
J to the C to the A G E

LHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet societyLHC is a pillar of this Internet society

Creationism isn't a negative.
LHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:52   #27
All Systems Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHC
Creationism isn't a negative.
Creationists believe God created the world 6,000 years ago. Show me proof for God and we have no problem. Or just some valid evidence in support of creationism.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:56   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
on this principal then, disprove creationism
Fossil records and the construction of the known universe should really do against something with nothing going for it, evidence wise.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 20:59   #29
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

Didn't God randomly disperse fossils around the world to throw us off the scent and make us question him so that only the truely righteous will enter the kingdom of heaven

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 21:01   #30
Dace
so f*cking zen

forever and ever AYMEN!!!
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 22:08   #31
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

the time one isn't the best arguement against "creationism" (I am going to put all terms in quotations seeing as how someone neg repped me for using 'darwinism' - grrrr) unless you assume that when it talks about for example the to become israelites wandering around in the wilderness for 40 years to literally mean 40 years (that isn't actually the case, throughout the bible periods of time are often explained in 40s, be that 40 days or 40 years and actually it's just a relative expression something which can be expanded to the 6 days notion, exactly what is 'a day' and don't say sun rise to sun rise as day one of that story doesn't have a sun in it!).

Anyway I'm in danger of being torn to shreads for putting forward an alternative particularly seeing as how I don't agree with it. I don't see creationism as having a place in "science" lesson if you take science to mean only physics biology or chemistry and associated schools of thought. However in terms of presenting all the options for how we are where we are now "science" (in the afor mentioned definition) doesn't explain say conciousness particularly well or what happens to that particular form of mass / energy / whatever else you wish to use to describe a human thought construct, whereas say budism offers another approach which happily keeps in with the idea of a none diminishing "energy pool" (the nitrogen cycle misses out there wouldn't you say?).

Last edited by MAdnRisKy; 13 Feb 2005 at 22:15.
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 22:12   #32
Dace
so f*cking zen

Quote:
the time one isn't the best arguement against "creationism" (I am going to put all terms in quotations seeing as how someone neg repped me for using 'darwinism' - grrrr)

*cough*
Unread 13 Feb 2005, 22:41   #33
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quite a lot of the body is designed pretty crappily, to be honest.

Oh, and if the person talking about Creationism wasn't talking about Young Earth Creationism, then the challenge was utterly meaningless. You can't disprove something which doesn't put forward any hypotheses; indeed, you can't prove that something didn't or can't happen, by the nature of empiricism. However, to even suggest that things may be true, you have to put forward evidence. The burden of proof is all skewed.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 00:44   #34
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The appendix is the organ required for prayer to work. It's a sign of our growing distance from god that the appendix is now considered pointless and a sad reflection on the state of religion in the western world.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 00:49   #35
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Of all the people I've met who didn't believe in evolutionary theory (and sadly there have been quite a lot) not one of those pepole actually understood evolutionary theory at all.

That could be a coincidence though.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:18   #36
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Explain to me then how in terms of performance we have seen little improvement in say the milk production of a freesian cow (without using humans selectively breeding the cows). Because to me it would seem that if left to their own devices they'd rather strive towards a state of entropy. Such a "natural balance" is infact something central to a creationist arguement.
Fresians evolved to produce the correct amount of milk required to sustain their offspring, producing more would be inefficient and thus incompatible with evolutionary goals.

Efficiency is likely to be central to any theory regarding "the origin of species" (as Darwin phrased it).
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:29   #37
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Birds not becoming more powerful as to fly faster / beat the other bird to the worm? (saves getting up early)

And to Toccata and Fugue, I should probably put something like "fundamentalist christians are just silly" along with "if dinosaurs and man were not around at the same time how do you expect man to write about them" (seeing as how the bible was not constructed in the same way as say the koran was. But then Bill Hicks wrote that and Bill hicks actually WAS a god, so i was too busy laughing)

Anyway now i;m just posting for the sake of it so i'll stop

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:34   #38
sayonara
Shai Halud

sayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nicesayonara is just really nice

Quote:
"if dinosaurs and man were not around at the same time how do you expect man to write about them"
Well done, you found the best (i.e. funniest) argument for anything ever.

I hope someone eventually uses that in a serious context.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:39   #39
Ste
Bored

Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Ste has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

We're going back to the old "Is the Bible literal or not" argument.
The only way I see christianity as even slightly credible is if it's not.
As it is I'd prefer to make my own religion based on my personal knowledge and experience than rely on the rules that someone wrote down in a language I don't understand many many years before I was born.

yeh so Plastic Brilliance is now known as FOXYSTOAT - Come on by and check it out!
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:41   #40
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste
We're going back to the old "Is the Bible literal or not" argument.
It's the premise of all the best* threads.

* worst
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:53   #41
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Well done, you found the best (i.e. funniest) argument for anything ever.

I hope someone eventually uses that in a serious context.

Not sure if you're having a pop or what. I have stopped being serious about this topic now.

grrr you're going to make me type it, see i;m ashamed at myself for this now but.....

"god made animals on day 5 and man on day 6". Now, if you take that to mean like 1 actual day then you may as well just toss out genisis and indeed the whole lot as poppycock. But then given the bible is a collection of interpretations of events not actual accounts of events (although in some cases it's pretty darned accurate when compared to other documents written around the same time) then you've got to give it some leeway. I mean how exactly are you supposed to messure the time lag between "day 5 and day 6".

But you're right, lets really NOT have this discussion it's old, especially seeing as how in reality we probably both near as damnit agree anyway.

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:57   #42
sayonara
Shai Halud

Shhhhhh.

I didn't actually mean that you should continue the point.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:57   #43
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Birds not becoming more powerful as to fly faster / beat the other bird to the worm? (saves getting up early)
Oxygen consumption in birds is inversely proportional to the speed of flight. For a bird to fly faster, increased lung capacity is one of the first requirements. Birds already have large complex lung systems (the lungs basically take up all unused space in the body) and to increase the volume they would have to become bigger and therefore need larger pectoral muscles, wingspan, etc. This increase in size and energy usage would necessitate a much higher caloric intake and therefore larger prey become more efficient so disposing of the reason for getting faster in the first place (i.e. you are now competing for a completely different food resource). Welcome to the reason why hawks don't eat worms.

As for why birds don't simply evolve a more efficient mechanism of gas exchange in order to keep the lung size down, the answer is simple; they already have.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 11:59   #44
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
inversely proportional
Either "in before edit", or "quoi?".

Whichever applies.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:01   #45
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:

And to Toccata and Fugue, I should probably put something like "fundamentalist christians are just silly" along with "if dinosaurs and man were not around at the same time how do you expect man to write about them" (seeing as how the bible was not constructed in the same way as say the koran was. But then Bill Hicks wrote that and Bill hicks actually WAS a god, so i was too busy laughing)

Anyway now i;m just posting for the sake of it so i'll stop

it is just that the quran is basically the bible with add-ons

generaly speaking ...
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:07   #46
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

Entropy... it rolls off the tongue well doesn't it?

Gayle for the record if anyone actually asked me what camp I'd be in it would look something like "all creatures strive to achieve balance with themselves and their environment" (except maybe a lot of humans in some respects but that's a WHOLE different issue).

it's just that the thread started talks not about modern day theories but about Darwin's theory of evolution (possibly because its authors skipped school that day) which by the way is a bitten thumb in dace's direction!

Anyway I have clilnical supervision to write up and this isn't helping.

You're all right and that article is terrible. There that's what you wanted to hear isn't it?

(Discussions are more fun than soap box rants though - especially if the other side appears to cave )

Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:08   #47
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

entropy doesn't apply to 'everything' in socio-technical way.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:09   #48
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Gayle for the record if anyone actually asked me what camp I'd be in it would look something like "all creatures strive to achieve balance with themselves and their environment"
Then presumably that camp is one held over the summer, for people who wish to develop their powers of observation.
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:10   #49
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by sayonara
Either "in before edit", or "quoi?".

Whichever applies.
"Inversely proportional" is correct, don't ask me why. My biology education stopped at A level so I didn't get that far into avian physiology. At a guess I'd say that requirement goes up but consumption goes down to to the way their gas exchange mechanism works. This would lead to lactic acidosis after a while hence stopping birds flying too fast for too long.
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 14 Feb 2005, 12:12   #50
sayonara
Shai Halud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
"Inversely proportional" is correct, don't ask me why. My biology education stopped at A level so I didn't get that far into avian physiology. At a guess I'd say that requirement goes up but consumption goes down to to the way their gas exchange mechanism works. This would lead to lactic acidosis after a while hence stopping birds flying too fast for too long.
I suppose something as mundane as "they generate lift more efficiently at high speed" could also be a factor.