User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Mar 2006, 13:11   #1
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough
[again] New Races

I always believe if something isn't broke there's no need to fix it. However, last night i started to spit-ball ideas of new races around my mind and i think i may have came up with one... possibly two if players are so inclined to see new races in the game.

Race 1; Razakazi (name debateable ofc)
The Razakazi are a race of elites willing to die for the cause, so running along side their usual capital ships are the fi/co suiciede ships that have the capability of destorying up to three ships of their target class in the blast radius created upon impact. This of course means that these fi/co will be fairly inexpensive whilst their capital ships would be of an average expense. With their "Fire first, ask questions later" attitude, they would lean more towards completing all research first; a race for arms.

Race 2; Vikmanorian (name debateable ofc)
Vikmanorian are a high-tech horde that prefere to suck the life out of their targets than to destroy them. This is the race that i havn't thought too much in depth bout although i am going down the lines of having them as an evolved Zik. I was thinking perhapes rather than simply stealing ships the Viks could fire nanites that take control of enemy ships - this of course being much more efficient that a simple Zik steal. A downfall for all this technology could be that they have put so much effort into being able to better the Zik's they have neglected their pod technology hence they only have one class of pod and rely more on stealing other pods to better their fleet.

Whilst i was moulding these ideas i also thought about a new cov-op much like the Zik only cov-op that we have previously discused on these forums. Maybe to help the Viks further (or perhapes every race should have this ability) agents are sent to enemy planets to steal blueprints of other ships. Once agents have stolen a set amount of blueprints they can now build that ship.

I'd like to know what other people think about these ideas. Do we actually need new races? If we do, what direction can we go in to make them unique from the races we currently have?
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 15:39   #2
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of
Re: [again] New Races

How about when a Zik Ship kills an enemy ship, they get the salvage from it rather than the ship it self.

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Mar 2006, 15:39   #3
MrLobster
Commander in Briefs!

MrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud ofMrLobster has much to be proud of

"he's got a proven track record when it comes to showy art composition" - Tommy

<Sigi> Light: can I ask u how many open internet-windows u always have?
<MrLobster|PM> i have 2, the pa page, and the website for naked light pictures
<Ave> both has bad gfx
MrLobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2006, 14:45   #4
SpookyVince
The Force of Spookyness

SpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really niceSpookyVince is just really nice

I had thought that maybe ziks could be made able to produce foreign ships once they've captured at least one, but at a much higher cost than the original race could do it.

It could be a deadly advantadge though, and might just not never be done.
SpookyVince is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Apr 2006, 14:50   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince
I had thought that maybe ziks could be made able to produce foreign ships once they've captured at least one, but at a much higher cost than the original race could do it.

I don't think deadly is the right word. Insanely sickening might be better.
Unread 6 Apr 2006, 12:48   #6
Razgriz
Retired FCHC

Razgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the roughRazgriz is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpookyVince

I don't think that's a good idea at all tbh. Even at higher cost some players may just consentrate on producing these captured ships rather than stealing them which will redener the steal ability pretty pointless.

The more i read and look into my own and other peoples ideas about varriations of stealing, the more i start to turn my back on it. Although these ideas look good on paper there could be major flaws in action.

I believe that perhpes Ziks should be left alone as they are (if it's not broke don't fix it). However, it may be interesting to see the return of Ter/Xan/Cat steal ships.
Behold the Razgriz, its wings of black sheath
---------------------------------------------------
[F-Crew] - You know when you've been [FC]ucked

join our public chan #f-crew
Razgriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2006, 17:06   #7
XelNaga

XelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to beholdXelNaga is a splendid one to behold

No.

(Marneus) also the damn thing aint always right 4 + 79 = i type 81 and it kicked me back to the login again grrr
XelNaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Apr 2006, 19:00   #8
Proxi
Ron Burgundy

Proxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant futureProxi has a brilliant future

Wow, what a well thought out counter-argument
Unread 8 Apr 2006, 15:22   #9
Lοki
God of Fire and Mischief

Lοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the roughLοki is a jewel in the rough

I like new races, but it's pretty hard to think of something that is balanced (not too much (dis)advantages) AND new. A second zik race wouldn't work well I think.
Lοki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Apr 2006, 16:42   #10
myk
PA Team

myk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to beholdmyk is a splendid one to behold

I just don't know how adding even more races in to the mix will help the balance of the game, I fear it will cause it to unbalance it if anything. Each of the 4 races we currently have bring something individual to the game and in turn balances it out, obviously if the stats are correct. Adding more races would complicate this further. Obviously this is my opinion. If there was a way to add one or two more races and keep the balance of the game without complicating things too much then yes it would be a good idea.

-myk-

[email protected]
myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2006, 05:58   #11
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all

Here is a couple of ideas for adding 2 extra races:

Mind control race (subversion): They use their highly developed mental power to make the enemy fight on their side for the duration of the battle. Steal ships that are subverted would only keep the resources/salvage from the stolen ships and not the ships that were stolen while subverted. This would cut down on this being abused.

Gamblers race:
50% chance that the ships would fire to kill after the others similar to terran firepower.
25% chance the ships would fire early or the same similar to xan.
15% chance the ships would emp before like a cath.
10% chance the ships would steal after all others fired like zik.
You're not the voice of Christianity di**head.

CT R22-20, [1up] R18-16, TGV R15,
The Illuminati - [NoS] - R14-13
Travler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Apr 2006, 07:50   #12
tombcfc
thomus always sober...

tombcfc is an unknown quantity at this point

ive thought about new races alot over the rounds and i agree with myk i feel adding even just one race would umbalance the game. Also what type would u use apart from the freeze/kill/steal? theres not much u can do wihout getting unrealistic and silly. Adding a race would mess up the stats and atleast one more race would have to be added to try and regain some balance probably adding another ship class and more ships to the stats.

Dont get me wrong its a good idea but i think it just wont work.
Unread 9 Apr 2006, 11:35   #13
Cannon_Fodder

Cannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldCannon_Fodder spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxi
Wow, what a well thought out counter-argument
Maybe because this has been discussed over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over again with the same outcome there is no need to explain, just point in the direction of the last thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travler
Mind control race
This made me laugh considering your devout religious belief.
Unread 9 Apr 2006, 19:23   #14
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Travler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to allTravler is a name known to all
Talking Re: [again] New Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniborp
This made me laugh considering your devout religious belief.
Well, a race of Demonic beings taking possession of their targets ships may not sit as well with most people as mind control considering this is more of a sci-fi type strategy game.

Unread 9 Apr 2006, 20:06   #15
Gate
;D!

Gate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himGate is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Subversion is a bit buggered up though. How do you deal with the whole attacking with subversion ships and getting it defended with certain killships thing, like evil_n00b did r12 or so?

And I remember attacking xands with DE/CR and defending them with cutters the same tick in r11 as well. They couldn't touch my attacking clippers because they were subverted at the same time as

There's also the issue that subversion, defence wise, is basically a shit version of EMP. It's hard enough to play as a cath without being very vulnerable (no matter how much EMP you have, you're not going to persuade someone to recall), and you can't really have extreme high damage subversion because, well, that would pwn. :/
Gate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2006, 01:45   #16
Graham
Colax

Graham is an unknown quantity at this point

How about something the same as star treks Species 8472, Bio ships, ships that are alive, research might be evolving and structures could be classed as diffrent ships also, just passive ships that need supersonic fire power to attack due to there massive armor which would keep the structure killers targeting them. Like a research lab would be a Brain creature of some sort, and ships yards would be a type of queen ships that produces creatures simaler to its own race(figher queens build figher class creatures)
Not too sure what there special weapon could be - maybe cant be stolen? just damaged by zik instead? Or maybe the crew can board and disable enermy ships before their ships got into firing range? So the disabled ships still have armor so can still take damage for the fleet, but no attack?

Edit*i also thought maybe jumpgate tech might not apply to them as u have to go to there planet and enter a wormhole or something to go to fluidic space to attack

R15 - Member - Heroes R16 - BC - Heroic R17 - HC - Heroic R18 - HC Advisor - Heroic R19 - HC - Heroic - Left and became a Viking! R19 - Member - TGV R20 - DC - TGV R21 - Member - TGV/ToF/SubH R22 - Member TGV R23 - Founded ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs with the HC team R24 - HC ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs

Last edited by Graham; 10 Apr 2006 at 10:23.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2006, 10:23   #17
jt25man
Victim of Marriage

jt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud ofjt25man has much to be proud of

I like the idea of ships that can't be stolen, but boarding and disabling the ship before it can fire is pretty much the same as Cats using EMP.

What about a race that only has roiders, all the ships are roiders, this would make the people in favor of XP whoring drool.

*edit: This could be combined with the Razakazi idea in that they all roid, but if you attack them there blast radius does damage to surrounding ships.

Last edited by jt25man; 10 Apr 2006 at 12:29.
jt25man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Apr 2006, 13:11   #18
mylove
protegee

mylove is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: [again] New Races

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz

Whilst i was moulding these ideas i also thought about a new cov-op much like the Zik only cov-op that we have previously discused on these forums. Maybe to help the Viks further (or perhapes every race should have this ability) agents are sent to enemy planets to steal blueprints of other ships. Once agents have stolen a set amount of blueprints they can now build that ship.
fantastic idea should have been introduced a long time ago there was talk of it befor the end of the last round but nothing came of it
Unread 10 Apr 2006, 13:17   #19
Graham
Colax

Graham is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been thinking a little more, i dont kno if i have come out the box too much, just let me kno what u think and if its even possible to work.
Been talkin to a few of mymates that play pa and thought that if they are alive maybe they should havfe a life span? However there ships cost as mush as Xan but are stonger due to the fact that you need to keep renewing your race.

R15 - Member - Heroes R16 - BC - Heroic R17 - HC - Heroic R18 - HC Advisor - Heroic R19 - HC - Heroic - Left and became a Viking! R19 - Member - TGV R20 - DC - TGV R21 - Member - TGV/ToF/SubH R22 - Member TGV R23 - Founded ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs with the HC team R24 - HC ASS - Alamo Space Smurfs
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 04:27   #20
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

Here's my little contribution to the New Race :

Call it whatever you like, this race has special pods and relay ships. Let me explain:
their pods don't steal roids, they steal its production, during xx tick then they go back home. the higher the class of the pod, the longer it remains sucking the res out of enemy roids.
In order to achieve this, that race needs to build relay ships that will orbit their home planet, the higher the class of ships, the more roids it can handle. Those ships can def themselves (good armour, low firepower) but can't be sent on attack. Ofc that race has also a few average kill ships.
Now, that race would have low roids number at home, you wouldn't attack them to steal roids obviously. You would attack them to kill the relay ships.
Unread 15 Apr 2006, 06:22   #21
Travler
Bona Fide Jesus Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
Here's my little contribution to the New Race :

Call it whatever you like, this race has special pods and relay ships. Let me explain:
their pods don't steal roids, they steal its production, during xx tick then they go back home. the higher the class of the pod, the longer it remains sucking the res out of enemy roids.
In order to achieve this, that race needs to build relay ships that will orbit their home planet, the higher the class of ships, the more roids it can handle. Those ships can def themselves (good armour, low firepower) but can't be sent on attack. Ofc that race has also a few average kill ships.
Now, that race would have low roids number at home, you wouldn't attack them to steal roids obviously. You would attack them to kill the relay ships.
kinda reminds me of having cargo ships and PDS only a expanded to a separate race. I like this idea much better than a subversion race. Combined with the gamblers idea I had we could add two new races to balance the game.