User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 13 Feb 2004, 20:50   #101
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Re: Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
No. It's like being on a Computer Science course and everyone else there is disinterested in computing and only doing the course because they want to make big bucks as a sys admin or something.

It's enough to make you appreciate Mac Geeks or Windows zealots or whatever.
Sorry, I still don't get this. The comp-sci's I've met aren't interested in computing, and none of the maths students are interested in maths beyond getting a degree to make money - but that's much preferable to a situation where people go on about how great Macs are, or how many digits of pi they can memorise.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 20:57   #102
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by queball
Sorry, I still don't get this. The comp-sci's I've met aren't interested in computing, and none of the maths students are interested in maths beyond getting a degree to make money
Horses for courses I guess, but I'd absolutley hate to do a degree for those reasons (it's bad enough on my current degree but at least I actually care about the subject matter).

Maybe I just value geekiness too much, but when I used to do maths (over an age ago admittedly) I used to have great fun solving problems, etc. Since you seem to post in the problem solving threads I presume you feel the same way.

Some of the people I know did degree's for stupid reasons, but in my household me and T&F are politics geeks, SbOlly is a computer geek (and would code in his spare-time even if it wasn't his job) and the other guy did a graphics degree for similar geeky reasons.

The Tory girl on my degree may have been utterly wrong on everything, but at least you could have an argument with her. Everyone else, except on the most basic moral premises had no opinions whatsoever (or at least, not one they were willing to defend or discuss).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 21:29   #103
Baron Morte
Blatantly overcooked

Baron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud ofBaron Morte has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Attractive Marxist? Stop making shit up dude.

Actually that reminds me of a while ago when I was sitting on the bus with a friend of mine and we saw she was reading the new marxist monthly or something and we then spent the entire remainder of the bus journey either laughing or making stupid comments about communism. Frankly it was far more interesting than engaging in practical debate!
Well this is REALLY mature. Congrats!
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 21:38   #104
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
It's like culture jamming. Sometimes the best way to fight absurdity is with absurdity.
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:17   #105
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sorry, I still don't get this. The comp-sci's I've met aren't interested in computing, and none of the maths students are interested in maths beyond getting a degree to make money - but that's much preferable to a situation where people go on about how great Macs are, or how many digits of pi they can memorise.
I like maths, and want to do it past the degree.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:27   #106
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Sorry, I still don't get this. The comp-sci's I've met aren't interested in computing
Same here, noone at my uni seems to give a fk, and the lecturers don't seem much better.
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:31   #107
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
Same here, noone at my uni seems to give a fk, and the lecturers don't seem much better.
But is this a good thing though?
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:37   #108
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: Dante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
It's like culture jamming. Sometimes the best way to fight absurdity is with absurdity.
That's absurd.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:39   #109
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactitus
That's absurd.
FISH!

Hold on, that's surrealism.
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 22:40   #110
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I'm fully with you on this, but I bet most of this forum are - for we are passionate about many things, and hence can have healthy discussions about an array of topics
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13 Feb 2004, 23:19   #111
Deciduous

Quote:
But is this a good thing though?
Well, the students, I dont know and dont care. Its up to them if they want to be interested or not but it seems a bit pointless to come to uni when you dont care about the subject, only the money.
If the lecturers aren't particularly enthused about something they get sloppy, dont explain things very well and that generally doesnt help me learn, so that's a bad thing.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 00:21   #112
SbOlly
Spelling is for pussies

SbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant futureSbOlly has a brilliant future

Dante - if you are still up, come downstairs and lend me a fiver.

I don't know if you are asleep, but either way I know you will wake up every 11 minutes to check a thread named in your honour.

I always get the soggy biscuit

Veni Vidi Codi
SbOlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 00:45   #113
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I don't have a fiver.

edit : in a few days the cheque I put in today should clear. But I don't have a bank card either at the mo.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 00:55   #114
Stew
Made of Twigs

Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Stew has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

OMG u need a new job - preferably one that pays!
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 00:58   #115
Dante Hicks
Clerk

I earn an OK amount. SbOlly earns about £8k more tho.

Only 2 weeks 'till payday. \o/
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:00   #116
Stew
Made of Twigs

So why u never got any cash?

Also - since this is thread about u, how come ur married but live with SbOlly? Oooh...!? Hang on...
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:02   #117
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew
So why u never got any cash?
Because I'm an idiot. And things keep coming up to stop my finances all falling into place.
Quote:
Also - since this is thread about u, how come ur married but live with SbOlly? Oooh...!? Hang on...
Because myself and my wife couldn't really afford London rents at the moment. (we tried for six months, it was hilariously bad)

I share with three friends who I've known for 10+ years.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:29   #118
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Oh I always thought your living arrangement was a conscious rejection of cohabitation and pair-living :(
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:37   #119
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Partially. I like communal living. It's vastly superior to just pair-living.

But the main decision was because of finances at the time. I wouldn't go back though. Of course, T&F is now being gay and insisting he's moving in with his bird in August.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:39   #120
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepflow
i stopped going to my seminars once no-one argued with me.

i did have one good argument once, but that guy had to change sets for timetabling reasons.
No one even talks in mine, everyone just sits there copying down whatever the lecturer says and then trying to think something up the odd occasion they get asked the answers.

Quote:
mine does
I wish mine did :/ I can't get bothered doing anything with such a low pass mark knowing that nothing at all carries forward, I just feel what is the point in putting in effort and getting top marks when someone who gets 40% is in just the same position.

Quote:
Well, the students, I dont know and dont care. Its up to them if they want to be interested or not but it seems a bit pointless to come to uni when you dont care about the subject, only the money.
I couldn't put up with three years of something I found boring on top of then working in that job for years just for money, I would find a way to make money in the field I enjoyed. I would bet those who hate the subject are likely to not be as good at it as well due to the extra difficulty in getting motivated to learn the info.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:44   #121
Nodrog

I think the whole splitting off into male/female pairs for living is a horrible horrible idea, and that communal living of some sort is definitely the way forwards
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 01:58   #122
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by midge5
I couldn't put up with three years of something I found boring on top of then working in that job for years just for money, I would find a way to make money in the field I enjoyed.
What if you didn't enjoy any field? (just a random question, not related to anything else)

Quote:
I would bet those who hate the subject are likely to not be as good at it as well due to the extra difficulty in getting motivated to learn the info.
Bleh. Having a passion, and being willing to do your course, are different. Some people seem to be able to face their work simply out of a Protestant work ethic. Dante talks of people with no "ideology or passion"; I'm sure you can study politics without being a Conservative or whatever; so your point, while correct, is not pertinent.

From this thread, it seems those with a Marxist fervour are more likely to get disheartened at the lack of passion they see in their fellow students. What does GD-level debate have to do with politics? Or the digits of pi with mathematics? The activities are only related to the subjects by the kind of people they attract. From an outside perspective it seems like geeks and ideologues seeking out other geeks and ideologues.

Obviously you need to be able to enjoy the activity of learning the subject, purely by pragmatic necessity.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 02:04   #123
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
What does GD-level debate have to do with politics?
Well, the study of politics in most universities (that I've experienced/noticed) is not that different from the types of discussions we have here.

The only real difference is that on a University course you are supposed to reference primary/secondary sources a lot more than we would do here.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 02:13   #124
Nodrog

Did you ever write an essay without referencing Kapital?
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 02:17   #125
midge5
mmm lambs

midge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better placemidge5 single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
What if you didn't enjoy any field? (just a random question, not related to anything else)
Hmm, well as I haven't been in that situation my guess would be I would either do the thing I found most bearable, something which I felt I could make a lot of money out of or try something new. More than likely opt for the money though but I find it hard to believe there is nothing at all that people think they may enjoy doing.
midge5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 02:33   #126
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Morte
Live hard man.

PS The study of politics in university has more fags who drift and less right-wing/libertarian types. GD is actually close to one of the most balanced political spectrums I've seen (and would be the most if we had less libertarian types).
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 06:15   #127
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Hold on is Dante the Hicks of fa.cs fame?

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 06:20   #128
queball
Ball

No. http://pirate.planetarion.com/member.php?u=11311
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 06:27   #129
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Given that he still lists Mercury&Solace I'm guessing his profile is severely out of date and posted probably before the time of fa.cs so instead of no.

I don't Know would be applicable.

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit

Unread 14 Feb 2004, 06:36   #130
queball
Ball

The profile isn't important, the fact that another user called "Hicks" exists is, and he still posts, and other reasons.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 10:52   #131
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen
Given that he still lists Mercury&Solace I'm guessing his profile is severely out of date and posted probably before the time of fa.cs so instead of no.

I don't Know would be applicable.
He posted yesterday.

And no, Dante isn't Hicks.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 10:53   #132
Evergreen
the merciless

Quote:
The profile isn't important, the fact that another user called "Hicks" exists is, and he still posts, and other reasons.
meh. I didn't mean to field that query to everyone though.

Preferrably Dante himself or someone who was v involved in his regular lifestyle.

Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:06   #133
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Did you ever write an essay without referencing Kapital?
I don't think I've ever directly referenced Kapital in an essay.

edit : And no, I'm not that other guy. Hicks was actually outraged when I signed up Dante Hicks as a forum nick. I just wanted Dante, as I've explained before.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 11:09   #134
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Dante, Sir. He's Hicks.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 17:52   #135
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

personally, when i went to uni, it was to do something i liked and enjoyed, i couldnt imagine spending 3 years of my life doing something i hated, but, there again, this means that i will probably never really get into the big money, but if i can get up into middle management in my current job, i honestly dont think i will care.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 19:11   #136
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

thing is, it DOES become more difficult to study something when theres no decent "competition" as it were. Im well aware that i could have actually worked for my A levels and gone to Uni of Manchester instead of Manc Met, but as i know myself, and i know how damn lazy i can be, im not even sure i would have enjoyed it more if people argued with me more there (i am making an assumption about the different types of students in both unis there, but i feel its a fair one.)

in my A level politics class though, there were about 15 of us (it was in a pretty decent london grammar school, been in the top 10 for god knows how many years in A level results), all from completely different ideologies, a marxist, a libertarian, a zionist, someone who completely supported arab terrorism, plenty of people in between (including me, who is fairly right wing economically but VERY left wing socially, if you know what i mean).

Anyway, that class was pretty much perfect for the debates we had, our lesson on sept 12th 2001 was probably the best ive ever had enjoyment wise. Don't get anything like that here really, its happened a couple of times, but even those who are passionate don't seem to be particularly articulate, which is always annoying.
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 20:56   #137
Deciduous

Don't ask for much, do you?
Unread 14 Feb 2004, 21:01   #138
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i didnt ask... i just said i didnt have it and i wanted it.
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 07:35   #139
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrL_JaKiri
He can't be a russian spy, he didn't go to cambridge.
at 0731 in the morning, after not getting to sleep, that made me laugh.
Thanks
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15 Feb 2004, 10:21   #140
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
thing is, it DOES become more difficult to study something when theres no decent "competition" as it were.
It goes deeper than that though. Classes in politics and other humanities are structured around class participation.

It might not matter if in a computing course no-one interacts (although I doubt it's a good/indifferent thing) but if no-one cares in a politics class then the quality of the education suffers terribly. I've had classes finish forty five minutes early because no-one else had anything to say in a class (although it was about Herbert Marcuse, so who can blame them).
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 13:52   #141
Deciduous

Good old Herbert eh

Some computing modules here encourage you to work in small groups, presumably to get you used to the idea of discussing ideas and making decision with other people, computing people (programmers in particular) generally don't like doing things someone else's way.
I find I work better on my own though, maybe that's the kind of person that is drawn to computing.

Mainly just bumping this thread because the rest are shite.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 14:08   #142
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
I find I work better on my own though, maybe that's the kind of person that is drawn to computing.
I hate working in a group, although this is not due to wanting my own way (I'm pretty easy going) but because I'm aware of how useless and unreliable I am.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 14:49   #143
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Quote:
It goes deeper than that though. Classes in politics and other humanities are structured around class participation.

It might not matter if in a computing course no-one interacts (although I doubt it's a good/indifferent thing) but if no-one cares in a politics class then the quality of the education suffers terribly. I've had classes finish forty five minutes early because no-one else had anything to say in a class (although it was about Herbert Marcuse, so who can blame them).
exactly the same thing happened to me, but it was on a vaguely interesting subject iirc. I think we had just had a lecture on sociobiology (which is rubbish btw) and all we had to do was say why it was rubbish, which was fairly easy, and quite interesting.

after that seminar finished about 40 minutes early, i never went to another one again. Though i want to go back, but they changed rooms! mostly i just want to get back so i can get my essay back though.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 15:07   #144
Deciduous

Quote:
I hate working in a group, although this is not due to wanting my own way (I'm pretty easy going) but because I'm aware of how useless and unreliable I am.
I like having someone to cover for me if my part goes down the pan. Assuming they aren't a bunch of ****wits like my last group, who decided they were going to have meetings without telling me and then comment on how poor my attendence was in the report.

You're going to have to work with people at some point, so you might as well practice being unreliable and getting away with it.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 16:30   #145
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Don't you like manage half your office?
Not anymore, when I was a trainer I did ocassionally. But then it was even better, since I was simply there as I knew stuff, not because I ever did any work.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 16:30   #146
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

lucky they dont read these boards then
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 16:34   #147
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
lucky they dont read these boards then
The beauty of being that kind of manager was that I wasn't even supposed to be doing anything, merely supporting "the team" as and when they needed it.

Plus, the answers I've gotten from the P&D forum here enabled me to do stuff for my work which I'm not even paid for (e.g. improving their intranet & external web-site, etc). So it's swings and round-abouts.

On socio-biology, didn't they call it evolutionary pscyhology in your lecturers? That's what all the cool kids are doing these days. You should make a thread calling it rubbish, then Muslim can post his diatribes and they'll actually be on-topic.
Unread 16 Feb 2004, 16:50   #148
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

hmm... nope, pretty sure they called it sociobiology. I just looked at my notes and the only page i have left from that lecture is a critique on neo-sociobiology. Seems to be pretty damning though.

and making a thread about stupid theories just so muslim can post on topic is tantamount to accepting he can make a worthwhile contribution.