User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 30 Nov 2003, 04:14   #1
1-X
overtired

1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.1-X has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
software piracy good for consumers?

I was just reading PlayStation braves Chinese waters

Basically, Sony avoided China in the past because their piracy is so bad, but now they (and Nintendo) are launching their consoles there. Then the line that caught my eye...

Quote:
They (the games) will cost far less than they do in the US or the UK, but still be slightly more than pirated discs.
It occurs to me, having seen the "piracy harms consumers as well as developers" notice for years while loading games, that it does nothing of the sort. The reality is that they sell games for as much as they can get away with, and widespread piracy will make them drop their prices to compete.

Maybe.
1-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 17:10   #2
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: software piracy good for consumers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
The reality is that they sell games for as much as they can get away with,
The technical term is "what the market will bear", and it applies to everything that's sold in an open market.
Quote:
and widespread piracy will make them drop their prices to compete.

Maybe.
Doubtful.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 18:49   #3
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Bunga has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Re: software piracy good for consumers?

Well, the prices will drop, but on the other hand so will the number of titles released.
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 19:11   #4
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
Well, the prices will drop, but on the other hand so will the number of titles released.
only titles WORTH making will be released
Are the best i've ever had
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 19:14   #5
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Only titles worth SELLING will be released you mean.

"Pretty Princess Dressup" will still have a market, while "Max Payne 5" probably won't. Which one would you rather see?
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 19:15   #6
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Unless software price went down _dramatically_ there's lots of people who would still pirate.

As with all these things, the best bet for dealing with piracy is reducing prices to an affordable level, and then give unique services which you can only get by buying (e.g. a decent box, manual, etc - on-line play, support, etc)

And the amount of software produced will continue to grow dramatically irrespective of market conditions - since most work is carried out by amateurs/semi-professionals (freeware, shareware, etc).
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 19:18   #7
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunga
"Pretty Princess Dressup" will still have a market, while "Max Payne 5" probably won't. Which one would you rather see?
Neither, tbh. But if you can't find enough people to support Max Payne 5 then why the hell does it "deserve" to get released?

I pretty much pirate all the intellectual property I consume, yet with products I like I'll support by buying. So with computer games, I've owned about 6 copies of Monkey Island (different formats, versions, etc), 4 of Elite, and god knows how many Civ encarnations.

And don't underestimate the amount of family software that's pirated. I used to work in a tech support helpdesk (with about 100 employees) where piracy (CD's swapping, etc) was rampant. Pretty much everyone with families used to obtain all the family movies, games, etc. Since we're at a point where quite a lot of "hardcore" computer users have kids, I'd imagine this will grow.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30 Nov 2003, 19:25   #8
Bunga
I'm not a poet

Of course, I can't underestimate piracy, since I think about 99% of people do it. I know I do. And I too buy games I support, Monkey Island and Elite and Civ I among them. Not that I like Max Payne, but I'd prefer playing that to some Pretty Princess Dressup game. Not all good games are marketable. Look at Wolfenstein 3D for example. The best game released that year, it pioneered a whole genre. But they couldn't get any backing for it, so it was released as freeware.
Unread 1 Dec 2003, 06:19   #9
Zar
Chief over all Monkeys

Zar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant futureZar has a brilliant future

tbh the only reason i won't pirate a game is if its for my GC (obviously), and on the PC, if a legitimate CD key is required for online gaming.

I think makers like Blizzard have got it spot on with not allowing duplicate cd keys to go online (on their servers --> although alternative servers exist, they usually suck and are polish). It forces many people who love the game to buy it even if they previously pirated it. I'm an example of this.

Zar
Zar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Dec 2003, 00:13   #10
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1-X
I was just reading PlayStation braves Chinese waters

Basically, Sony avoided China in the past because their piracy is so bad, but now they (and Nintendo) are launching their consoles there. Then the line that caught my eye...

It occurs to me, having seen the "piracy harms consumers as well as developers" notice for years while loading games, that it does nothing of the sort. The reality is that they sell games for as much as they can get away with, and widespread piracy will make them drop their prices to compete.

Maybe.
I also read its going to be the old shitty consoles and titles.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote