User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:24   #1
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Could you get sued for copyright infringement for naming your child after a trademark

like 'coca-cola' or something
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:25   #2
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Could you get sued for copyright infringement for naming your child after a trademark

or what about for slander if you called it "Peter Rankin likes to touch small children" or suchlike.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:27   #3
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Re: Could you get sued for copyright infringement for naming your child after a trademark

According to my tv polar bears are trademarks of coca cola.

I wonder if any of their executives have actually tried to make a polar bear drink coke heh.

PS 450% obvious it's only slander when it's false reply
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:31   #4
Nodrog

like, lets say you want to slander someone but are worried you'll get sued, could you just change your name to whatever you wanted to say? Like, I'm a newspaper editor and I know about a potential hot hot story but I cant publish it for legal reasons so I get one of my staff to change his name by deed poll and then write a front page article headlined "Today, our loyal and hardworking journalist, Mr The-name-of-the-two-alleged-rapist-footballers-are-rio-ferdinand-and-lee-wilkie, bought a new house" could I get sued or not.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:34   #5
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
like, lets say you want to slander someone but are worried you'll get sued, could you just change your name to whatever you wanted to say? Like, I'm a newspaper editor and I know about a potential hot hot story but I cant publish it for legal reasons so I get one of my staff to change his name by deed poll and then write a front page article headlined "Today, our loyal and hardworking journalist, Mr The-name-of-the-two-alleged-rapist-footballers-are-rio-ferdinand-and-lee-wilkie, bought a new house" could I get sued or not.

I imagine so. They probably have rules and precedent to deal with that sort of thing. You could probably but up some vague and indecisive semi-libertarian argument in support of it though.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:38   #6
Nodrog

I dont think most libertarians consider slander a crime anyway man
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:48   #7
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I dont think most libertarians consider slander a crime anyway man
Most libertarians have never had an angry mob who read you were a paedo in the sun burning down their house.

Incidentally most libertarians don't actually have a house.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:51   #8
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think you can change you're name to whatever you want, there's a large list of names you can choose from
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 16:52   #9
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
I don't think you can change you're name to whatever you want, there's a large list of names you can choose from

Christ but it must take a while to read through them all heh.

PS your
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:01   #10
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute

Sure you can, there's plenty of people who have changed their name to some really non-standard ones of their own choosing. For a start you can't dictate what a person may call themself.

In the case of Nodrogs example I would imagine you could simply get away with posting an article about the employees new name change as a human interest story. Then you could claim it had no affiliation with the said event and you were only rightfully acknowledging a fellow member of staff's decision to be an individual.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:01   #11
BesigedB
Darling

BesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of lightBesigedB is a glorious beacon of light

Don't you mean trademark infringement? COPYRIGHT =/= TRADEMARK =/= IP
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 17:42   #12
Super
Sub

Super is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the roughSuper is a jewel in the rough

shut up
Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 18:16   #13
Cmdr_Cyrax
7 Dimensional Puddleduck

Cmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really niceCmdr_Cyrax is just really nice

I have a vision of a bunch of aliens landing on Earth then suing Nike for copyright infringement of Nike brand spaceships they began 20,000 years ago.
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 18:43   #14
mbushell

mbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldmbushell spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Quote:
reallife nick talking
mbushell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 19:46   #15
Radical Edward

Radical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriendRadical Edward needs a job and a girlfriend

wasn't there a guy who renamed himself Mr Barclays Bank are Facist Bastards, and then went to the bank (barclays doncherknow) to close his account and made them write him a cheque?

ok 3..... 2..... 1.. let's jam
Radical Edward is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20 Dec 2003, 19:47   #16
roadrunner_0
cynic

roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.roadrunner_0 has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

now that would be comedy gold
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 02:45   #17
Jammers

Jammers has a little shameless behaviour in the past

It's more likely they would send out a press release saying that "Mr Coca Cola likes Coca Cola so much he changed his name, and we will now shower him with riches for being a walking advertisement for our wonderful product."
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 02:50   #18
Deepflow
Next goal wins!

Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deepflow has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

i thought you could only get done for slander if it was believable...

(my whole argument for that comes from the people vs larry flynt movie where they say a preacher person ****ed his mum or something, + thats in america, hmm.)
Unread 21 Dec 2003, 04:00   #19
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

It's only infriging to use a trademark on the same kind of product. As long as your child doesn't sell his sweet refreshing juices I don't see a problem.