User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 27 Jul 2010, 00:57   #1
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future
Merlin Alliance Toolset

Two years ago, Merlin started out as a complete rewrite of Munin, the popular open source alliance IRC bot created by jester for Ascendancy. A year later Merlin hit feature compatibility with Munin and saw its first official release. However, Merlin is now so much more: the third release brought the introduction of a website fully integrated into the toolset.

Fast-forward to the present day and the fifth major release of Merlin, which is the biggest new-feature release to date. The website now includes a scan request system (which is real-time linked to users on IRC (I hope that services such as #transcendancy and #scans adopt Merlin in order to benefit from this)), a scan viewer much like the xVx parser, and an attack system that combines scan viewing with booking. More features and enhancements may also be added before the new round starts.

Merlin is available for free under the terms of the GPLv2 license; the source code can be found here though I suggest you read the (now much improved) readme first. As always, I am available with others in #munin on NetGamers IRC for any help required.

I urge all alliances already using Merlin to upgrade now: a mid-round migration would be messy, but the automated round-migration tool will deal with all the issues without trouble. Techies should however take note of the changed requirements, in particular the bumping of SQLA from 0.5.7 to 0.6.3 and the inclusion of Jinja2; see the above readme for full details.

Over 4000 changed lines go into this release, of which Berten has contributed nearly a third, so a huge thanks to him. Thanks also to jester and qebab, without whose prior work Merlin would not be possible!

jester would fairly often create feature-request discussions for Munin, and bearing in mind that Merlin is now used by I think 7 different alliances, I thought it a good idea to create one here. So, if you have any ideas for new features, or ways of enhancing existing ones, please post it here! Please also pass this thread on to other members of your alliance.
ellonweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Jul 2010, 01:01   #2
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Re: Merlin Alliance Toolset

.cookie ellonweb being useful
Unread 30 Jul 2010, 00:04   #3
Reese
If not never; then once.

Reese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud ofReese has much to be proud of

The one thing I always wanted was more sortable columns on the web page, originally it was just race, but it looks like the new update has size as well. Nice work! Thanks for all the hard work!
Unread 2 Aug 2010, 00:57   #4
ellonweb

ellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant futureellonweb has a brilliant future

I've just pushed an update to grab the new Alliance Points data from the dumps. I wouldn't normally make a post for this but this update is important because it affects the database structure: if you get this update and do not update your database the tools will stop functioning.

Fortunately, fixing this is easy. First you need to update the code base, instructions for this are provided in the read-me. If you were running the tools last round and haven't yet migrated for the new round, you can then migrate like normal:
createdb.py --migrate r37
If you've already migrated or are running the tools for the first time, you can migrate anyway:
createdb.py --migrate temp
In this second case, the old schema will be deleted. Note that migration mid round is not safe: dump data, intel, etc. is not copied over.
Unread 14 Jan 2011, 03:22   #5
ellonweb

Necro to announce the seventh major release of Merlin.
Please be aware of two changed requirements: Jinja 2.6 and PsycoPG 2.2.1
Lots of structural changes to the database, make sure you update and migrate before ticks start.
If you need help with the update process (there is an identified point of (possible) failure in the automatic update for this version), #munin on NG.

Random Trivia:
Approximately 10,000 changed lines of code since release 5.
Ticker operates at 1.5s - 2.5s on a crappy server, 5.5s - 6.5s on my really crappy laptop; this is insanely fast and I'm not aware of any set of tools operating faster. (Variation primarily caused by time spent scraping dumps from PA.)

If you want to grab the code, read https://github.com/ellonweb/merlin/blob/master/README. Freely available under the terms of the GPLv2 license.
If you want to get involved in development (it's 95% Python), #munin on NG.