User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Feb 2004, 20:56   #1
Embroglio
a new low in getting high

Embroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himEmbroglio is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
All christians please raise your hands...

...the rest of you, are crazy.
I want you by my side.

We’re hitting a new low.
Embroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2004, 21:03   #2
Intrepid00

Intrepid00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: All christians please raise your hands...

Its all relative.
Intrepid00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2004, 22:11   #3
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

that's hilarious actually
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 00:58   #4
Vaio
Heh, Leeds !

Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Vaio has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Does it work with Islamic Terrorists as well ?

'Could all the people working towards the overthrow and destruction of the GREAT SATAN please raise your hands ?'

It would save the air marshalls a bit of time

Vaio

Yes, I know he is dead !
Vaio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 01:04   #5
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road

apart from the "the rest of you are crazy" bit this rather sounds like a few ppl on that plane got hysteric and the airline is trying to protect its image
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 01:09   #6
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I wish I'd been on that plane.

I'd have sued the airline for having one of their employees insult me on basis of my religion, thereby undoubtedly breaking some kind of law. I would've been rich
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 03:11   #7
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leshy
I wish I'd been on that plane.

I'd have sued the airline for having one of their employees insult me on basis of my religion, thereby undoubtedly breaking some kind of law. I would've been rich
You would have a very, very, very hard time proving anything.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 05:16   #8
Tactitus
Klaatu barada nikto

Tactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldTactitus spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Exclamation Re: All christians please raise your hands...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Still, he might have gotten his 15 minutes of fame before he, his lawyer and his case were tossed out of court.
The Ottawa Citizen and Southam News wish to apologize for our apology to Mark Steyn, published Oct. 22. In correcting the incorrect statements about Mr. Steyn published Oct. 15, we incorrectly published the incorrect correction. We accept and regret that our original regrets were unacceptable and we apologize to Mr. Steyn for any distress caused by our previous apology.
Tactitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 07:24   #9
meaple
Pretend Faggot

meaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid00
Not in America

[ ripper ] I told u I was hardcore
meaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 15:37   #10
Intrepid00

Quote:
Originally Posted by meaple
Not in America
Most of the favirous cases are lost in appeal. For example, the McDonald's coffee lady lost in the appeal and McD's never had to pay her a penny.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 16:48   #11
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Are there any people who are remotely religious on this forum, or are they too scared?
I made a thread about this subject, you can find it here : http://pirate.planetarion.com/showthread.php?t=174669

It kind of came to nothing though.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 17:40   #12
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toccata & Fugue
Are there any people who are remotely religious on this forum, or are they too scared?
being scared to be religious is hilarious.
i mean why hide it?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 18:42   #13
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts

On my part, it's not being scared, more not wanting to indulge the vast majority of inane posters' desires to "bait a Christian" etc.

I'm willing to answer sensible, genuine questions, I just don't see the point in stupid arguements.

Oh, and as to the original post......
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 19:00   #14
Deciduous

Deciduous is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok a couple of genuine questions.
How does the creation story account for population growth, given what we know about the very low rates of increase in population from historical records?

How does the creation story explain the amount of genetic diversity shown in modern humans given that the first two human beings were genetically identical (given Eve was made from Adam's rib)
Deciduous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 19:32   #15
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciduous
Ok a couple of genuine questions.
How does the creation story account for population growth, given what we know about the very low rates of increase in population from historical records?

How does the creation story explain the amount of genetic diversity shown in modern humans given that the first two human beings were genetically identical (given Eve was made from Adam's rib)
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a bible scholar, I wasn't around then, I can't be sure. Though if you're going on what other books say, why are you dismissing the bible's claims out of hand?

We're all supposed to have come from Africa to start with, that's where most people who have studied the bible place Adam and Eve as being from. Now, you can see that not everyone in the world is black (which we would be if we hadn't moved from Africa). This is because of the environment over thousands of years changing people's skin tones. Why can't other changes occur naturally over time, e.g. eye colour etc.?

To me, those issues are not "gospel issues". Yes, they're very valid questions, but at the end of the day, what matters to me is my relationship with Jesus and the fact he died for my sin on the cross. That's my "religion". While the bible is an aid to my faith, and a part of it, it is by no means the founding principle of my belief system.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 19:57   #16
Deciduous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supernova9
Honestly, I don't know. I'm not a bible scholar, I wasn't around then, I can't be sure. Though if you're going on what other books say, why are you dismissing the bible's claims out of hand?
Books based on credible research rather than handed-down stories.
If you were a bible scholar you could probably interpret the material however you wanted. Dissecting the story in more detail is all very well but you're still only reading the same material.

Quote:
This is because of the environment over thousands of years changing people's skin tones. Why can't other changes occur naturally over time, e.g. eye colour etc.?
A difference in DNA causes changes to occur leading to greater adaptability, not the other way round.

Quote:
To me, those issues are not "gospel issues". Yes, they're very valid questions, but at the end of the day, what matters to me is my relationship with Jesus and the fact he died for my sin on the cross.
Obviously you aren't bothered about these issues, because if you were to admit that there were inconsistencies with observations of the real world you might end up having to concede that there may be many more inconsistencies and that these stories were wrong.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:00   #17
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

Im an Atheist.... but i dont dislike religious ppl... people like that are SOO stupid. It puts a bad spin on athiesm... almost as bad as being catholic... :-(.

My g/f is really religious. A Johava's Witness....

Are you sh*tting me? You mean my negrep is SOO LOW my opinion is worthless?
Qdeathstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:01   #18
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aryn
being scared to be religious is hilarious.
i mean why hide it?
If I had any kind of hope or faith, I would keep it as far away from this hell-hole as possible.
queball is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:04   #19
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Books based on credible research rather than handed-down stories.
The existence of Jesus was confirmed by Tacitus and Josephus among others of the time, thus plenty of corroborating evidence, yet it's still not believed by the majority of population.

Quote:
Obviously you aren't bothered about these issues, because if you were to admit that there were inconsistencies with observations of the real world you might end up having to concede that there may be many more inconsistencies and that these stories were wrong.
Indeed I'm not that bothered, because the point you just raised is about faith. I have faith that what the Bible says is true, faith is an internal concept, which won't be changed by others around me. You can't argue me out of my faith, just as I couldn't argue you into it.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:07   #20
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
The existence of Jesus was confirmed by Tacitus and Josephus among others of the time, thus plenty of corroborating evidence, yet it's still not believed by the majority of population.
The majority of which population?

I believe there is a guy about that period who went round being a religious figure. It's just the whole "being the son of god" thing I don't quite buy into.

Queball : You don't have hope? I do, but obviously not in this religious nonsense.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:12   #21
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dante Hicks
The majority of which population?
I believe there is a guy about that period who went round being a religious figure. It's just the whole "being the son of god" thing I don't quite buy into.

Queball : You don't have hope? I do, but obviously not in this religious nonsense.
Surely if he was a religious figure, calling himself the son of God would really have been big lie, thus negating any of his teachings to the contrary?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:14   #22
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Surely if he was a religious figure, calling himself the son of God would really have been big lie, thus negating any of his teachings to the contrary?
Yeah, that's kind of why I'm not a Christian dude.

I'm saying I believe in the existence of Jesus, I just don't think he was the son of god. Similarly I believe there is a guy called Gordon Ross alive today, I just don't think he's a divine messenger.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:17   #23
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Qdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these partsQdeathstar is infamous around these parts

As well

Quote:
How does the creation story explain the amount of genetic diversity shown in modern humans given that the first two human beings were genetically identical (given Eve was made from Adam's rib
Actually, human diversity is almost non-existant. Our Genetic Diversity is actually 2% of normal.

The reasons i dont belive are god, are based on fact.

1. Scientists have PROVEN that species develope through genetic mutation and evolution, not creation
2. Scientists have PROVEN that the earth is much older that the bible(and many other religions) testifies
3. Religion has always primarily been a means to resolve a political/social problem.
4. The earth is NOT the center of the universe.
5. God is like Saddam Hussian or any other poorly-governing leader.
A. "Free Will" but punishment if you do not obey him.
B. Openly Allows injustice and cruetly to befall his followers.
6. There have always been people who are good with rhetoric, they were just sane enough to realize they werent the son of God.
7. Scientists have shown and have basicly proven how the earth formed, through combination of planettessimals, NOT 7 days..
8. How many speices do you think exist. And Noah put all of those on a boat, a male and a female? What about the organisms that reproduce asexually/dont need a mate. Did he bring plant life to? or did God recreate that.
9. How come previous religions are now refered to as methology. To the romans, Mars was a god, why now is he simply nice story. Religion is a nice story. Religion is methology.

A lot of those deal with the christian religion primarily, but some hold true for all religions

Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:22   #24
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Aww come on, since when has anything ever bad came from having a religious Zealot at the yoke of a plane?

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:23   #25
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

And on a side note, not only do i believe that Jesus existed, but that histories have come close to finding information that would prove it, and with circumstantial evidence, it would prove Jesus existed. Just because a man died a martyr of his beliefs, doenst make him the son of god.. or devine in any way. Just a man of rehtoric

IF some one told you they were the Son of God, and said they could talk with god, and proceeeded to do it, would you say yessir, your a god. No, you would think they were crazy or a magician. but not a son of a god.

and one more reason i dont belive in god.

In the bible it clearly states that ghosts are incarnations of the devil. what about the "angels" who were like ghosts in there form? According to the bibles rules, they must be incarnations of the bible.

Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:24   #26
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

I believe in God. I don't believe that a lot of what the bible says is true. I know what I mean by God, but I can't explain it (I have tried before).
I don't generally feel the need to tell people (I've never denied being religious when asked).
I used to go to church, but I havn't done for a few years.
Oh, and I'd call myself Unitarian over any other christian denomination, but i don't really like the idea of categorising my belief.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:26   #27
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qdeathstar
4. The earth is NOT the center of the universe.
proof plz

Quote:
9. How come previous religions are now refered to as methology. To the romans, Mars was a god, why now is he simply nice story. Religion is a nice story. Religion is methology.
Refinement of the religious method to take new evidence into account, inorder to narrow the hermeneutic cycle so that the the story gets closer and closer to how God actually 'is'. Do you really think that the current scientific theories regarding the universe will be taken to be anything more than primitive myths in 200 years time?
Nodrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:27   #28
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

nodrog, im not going to prove that.. go to nassa.com or something..

Additionally.. Agnostics, like symm here are really the only people im not impressed with. After all Dante said the hottest places in hell are for those who remain neutral in a time of moral crisis (or close that)...

Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:28   #29
Deciduous

You mean like Newtonian mechanics?

[edit] Stick, wrong end of
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:29   #30
Qdeathstar
edited for readability

Quote:
Refinement of the religious method to take new evidence into account, inorder to narrow the hermeneutic cycle so that the the story gets closer and closer to how God actually 'is'. Do you really think that the current scientific theories regarding the universe will be taken to be anything more than primitive myths in 200 years time?
Sure, but in science we either mathemathematicly disPROVE something, or ADD on to it. New religions simply labled Methology as Methology right after they received any power...

Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:31   #31
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodrog
Do you really think that the current scientific theories regarding the universe will be taken to be anything more than primitive myths in 200 years time?
To be fair, the more intelligent scientists do generally admit they could be talking bollocks.

Besides, anything formed via the scientific method is inherently superior to the insights of some mystic drivel.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:33   #32
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

Quote:
nodrog, im not going to prove that.. go to nassa.com or something..

Additionally.. Agnostics, like symm here are really the only people im not impressed with. After all Dante said the hottest places in hell are for those who remain neutral in a time of moral crisis (or close that)...
You're not "impressed" with me? How ****ing terrible.

And an "agnostic"? I believe there is a God, and in my mind I know what "he" is (like). I just can never seem to (nor really want to) share this with people who've asked me.

You also think that religion in this time is a "moral crisis"?
And acronyms (SYMM ffs) should be capitalised.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:33   #33
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:

Agnosticism is not the lack of a moral system (you have no idea how much effort it took to prevent myself ending that sentence with the word ****wit).
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:38   #34
Nodrog

Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Nodrog has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sure, but in science we either mathemathematicly disPROVE something, or ADD on to it. New religions simply labled Methology as Methology right after they received any power...
Huh?

Sumerian relgion was really wacky, and included many things that have been factually disproven now. Greek religion was less wacky and took into account their slightly more advanced knowledge of the world, but still had its fair share of bizarre claims. Hebrew religion (ie Old Testement) . Most of the Old Testement has been thoughly debunked now (noone really tajkes the Flood or the 7 day creation story literally now), so most people stand by the New Testement, as it is more in line with current knowledge about the universe than the Old. When large parts of the New Testement have been disproven, there will probably be a new religion formed that takes thee new evidence into account. In this way religious theories, just like scientific theories, are gradually refined to take new data into account.

Its silly to say that modern religion is 'false' because previous religions have been shown to be 'false' without saying the same about scientific models, because its pretty much the exact same process in both cases. Intelligent Design is a refinement of the Genesis story in the same sense that Special relativity is a refinement of Newtonian mechanics.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:39   #35
Nodrog

Quote:
To be fair, the more intelligent scientists do generally admit they could be talking bollocks.
So do a lot of religious people, whats your point?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:40   #36
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

You are all a bunch of ****ing stiffs do you know that?

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:42   #37
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
So do a lot of religious people, whats your point?
That science is based on evidence (to a degree) whereas religion is based is pretty much all on faith. I don't see how faith can really be subject to the critical process of improvement.

If I died now and was before God, I wouldn't be sorry for being an atheist since I was following the evidence available.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:42   #38
JonnyBGood
Banned

JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JonnyBGood has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Its silly to say that modern religion is 'false' because previous religions have been shown to be 'false' without saying the same about scientific models, because its pretty much the exact same process in both cases. Intelligent Design is a refinement of the Genesis story in the same sense that Quantum mechanics is a refinement of Newtonian.

Except without science religions would not "advance" whereas the converse isn't true. Well I suppose on a christians saved knowledge in the dark ages and shit level it is but I mean the abstract sense and not the historical.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:50   #39
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Sumerian relgion was really wacky
Empirical evidence, please.
Quote:
(noone really tajkes the Flood or the 7 day creation story literally now)
Actually, most, if not all ancient cultures seem to have a Flood myth. The fact that it is such a recurring theme may very well indicate some kind of flood-related disaster happening at some point. Although of course the whole two people building a boat and floating about thing seems less founded in reality.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:54   #40
Deciduous

You'd think the Egyptians would have recorded something like that
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 20:55   #41
Nodrog

Quote:
That science is based on evidence (to a degree) whereas religion is based is pretty much all on faith. I don't see how faith can really be subject to the critical process of improvement.
Wouldnt you say that Intelligent Design was more evidence-based than Genesis? Or that Deism is more "scientific" than the religion of the Pharaohs? Modern religions are generally more 'sophisticated' than those in eras gone by, because of the increased amount of evidence available to those who believe in them. Both religion and science are based on empirical evidence, just different interpretations thereof.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:01   #42
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
Except without science religions would not "advance" whereas the converse isn't true.
I'm not sure why that's relevant.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:05   #43
Deciduous

Quote:
Wouldnt you say that Intelligent Design was more evidence-based than Genesis? Or that Deism is more "scientific" than the religion of the Pharaohs? Modern religions are generally more 'sophisticated' than those in eras gone by, because of the increased amount of evidence available to those who believe in them. Both religion and science are based on empirical evidence, just different interpretations thereof.
So why don't all Christians admit the big bang as a possibility?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:12   #44
Nodrog

Quote:
So why don't all Christians admit the big bang as a possibility?
What does it matter what 'all' Christians are or arent doing? Western culture, taken as a whole, has continually refined its relgious hypotheses. What an individual person does or doesnt do is irrelevant here.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:12   #45
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
I'm not sure why that's relevant.
One is self-improving and the other is stagnant. Which is more useful and worthwhile then?
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:15   #46
Nodrog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyBGood
One is self-improving and the other is stagnant. Which is more useful and worthwhile then?
Neither is stagnant, both have continually evolved; the beliefs expressed by a moderate Catholic today would probably have got him burned alive 300 years ago. Religion perhaps evolves at a slower speed than science, but that could be because peoples religious beliefs are often more important to them than their scientific ones, resulting in a greater reluctance to let them go which causes an increase in the amount of time required for significant paradigm changes.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:18   #47
JonnyBGood
Banned

Quote:
Neither is stagnant, both have continually evolved; the beliefs expressed by a moderate Catholic today would probably have got him burned alive 300 years ago. Religion perhaps evolves at a slower speed than science, but that could be because someone's religious beliefs are more important to them than their scientific ones, and are hence more reluctant to let go of them, causing an increase in the amount of time required for significant paradigm changes.
Yes but one evolves within it's own context. The stated goal of science is to build a working model of the universe (innit) whereas specific religions declare this is the right way and the only way. New facts in science are always welcome, historically in religion this has not been so. Now this can change certainly but at that point it's not really a religion anymore and there's not that much point to it.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:20   #48
Nodrog

Again, it makes no difference what people do at an invidiual level. Culturally, religious models are refined to take new evidence into account in the exact same way which scientific theories are. Both scientific and religious models are metaphysical interpretations of sensory evidence; the only real difference between them is the speed at which changes to the model occur. Science certainly evolves at a faster rate than religion, but its utterly fallacious to suggest that religion is static.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:23   #49
Deciduous

Could you clarify your point for me Nod? I seem to have got lost.
Unread 10 Feb 2004, 21:35   #50
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Quote:
Again, it makes no difference what people do at an invidiual level.
This particular subsection of the debate came about because an individual was discussing his or her reasons for believing in God. I'd say what individuals do/don't do is pretty relevent.

p.s. I'd say one of the defining characteristics of a religious body of ideas is the notion of faith. If it's following a scientific-type method then I'd say it's more of a science, albeit an odd one.