User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Sep 2003, 02:18   #1
queball
Ball

queball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so littlequeball contributes so much and asks for so little
Aerodynamics

Check this out:
http://humane.sourceforge.net/publis...da_effect.html

I tried the experiment with bendy bits of paper and that's fine. But I don't quite see how a traditional wing helps a plane fly upside-down, or how a paper plane's wing can produce lift apart from the usual air resistance from having a high angle of attack.

Sketch:
Code:
              smooth change in direction,
              air isn't forced onto the wing
              /
            \/_
 >>>>>>>>>
      oooo>>>
 >>>>>ooooooo>>>>
      >oooooooooo>>>>>>> <- airflow on top
       >ooooooooooooo   <- inverted wing
    /|\  >>>>ooooooooooo
     |      >>>>>>>>>>>>   <- airflow below
abrupt change
in air's direction
Now there might be extra forces from eddys and things but I don't feel I've really grasped the principle here. Surely a wing is simply a machine for changing the direction of the plane as efficiently as it can. How does the Coanda effect make a curved wing more efficient than the linear wing of a paper aeroplane?
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 02:54   #2

guest is an unknown quantity at this point
Planes flying upside down either dont fly as such, more like fall, or their rear wings can rotate causing lift, ref. f18 hornet

ive never seen a paper plane in my life achieve lift
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 07:10   #3
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
What happens if air flows (or any other substance)?
It affects the air around it, bringing it into motion. It pulls the air around it with it.

For the spoon example, when the water flows next to the spoon, it pulls a certain amount of air with it. According to BERNOULLI, the pressure will decrease because air is removed from the area.

Where you hold the spoon, the lost air will not be replace as fast (the spoon blocking the airflow of the surrounding air that tries to fill the gap) thus between the spoon and the flow of water, there is a lower pressure as on the other side.
The stream is then pulled towards the spoon.

I'm familiar with the Bernoulli principle, but I never heard of the coanda thing. So I might be totally off, but what I said seems quite logical to me.
What do you really want to know? How planes make lift?
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 08:05   #4
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Planes cannot fly upside down with the standard wing shape.

The pilots have to open the flaps to increase the path distance on the previously top side of the wing.

Anyone who says otherwise ISN'T A PILOT and HASN'T ASKED A PILOT
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 08:50   #5
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri

The pilots have to open the flaps to increase the path distance on the previously top side of the wing.

True to the last two, but I still say it. Queball is right, "path distance" has little to do with it as opposed to the direction of the path.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 09:18   #6
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:

euh... don't the flaps go down? Don't they increase the pressure on the UNDERSIDE of the wing?
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 10:08   #7
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
euh... don't the flaps go down? Don't they increase the pressure on the UNDERSIDE of the wing?
Ariel Sharons, whatever.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 10:10   #8
meaple
Pretend Faggot

meaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the roughmeaple is a jewel in the rough
Ailerons dear <3

[ ripper ] I told u I was hardcore
meaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 12:34   #9
Kåre Willoch

Kåre Willoch is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by guest
Planes flying upside down either dont fly as such, more like fall, or their rear wings can rotate causing lift, ref. f18 hornet

ive never seen a paper plane in my life achieve lift

You must have bad paper plane skills, or wouldn't you say that a paper plane going down towards the ground, and then changing direction, flatting out and going up, is achieving lift ? (Just asking in case I misunderstand "lift" here...)
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 16:14   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by meaple
Ailerons dear <3
Ailerons control the roll of the aircraft and are located on the outside half of the main wing. Flaps are used to increase lift when the aircraft is flying slow and are located on the inner half of the main wing.
Then we have the elevators in the tail wing that control the pitch, and the rudder in the tail that controls the jaw.

Now, I don't know if they came up with some revolutionary technology that changed this, but I believe this has been like this ever since the invention of these components. Or ofcourse they could have taught me wrong .

Also, I don't think that an aircraft can fly upside down and maintain its altitude without changing the angle of attack, but I haven't fully read the article in the opening post, so I might be off.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 16:27   #11

guest is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kåre Willoch
You must have bad paper plane skills, or wouldn't you say that a paper plane going down towards the ground, and then changing direction, flatting out and going up, is achieving lift ? (Just asking in case I misunderstand "lift" here...)
id call it wind

the same effect often happens with plastic and paper bag

ref. american beauty plastic bag scene
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:01   #12
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

After a quick experiment (inside, very little air movement, heating not on so not thermals), I have concluded that paper aeroplanes can produce lift.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:13   #13
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
I'm familiar with the Bernoulli principle
Which incidentally is not the reason an aircraft can achieve lift.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:43   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
Which incidentally is not the reason an aircraft can achieve lift.
Explain? Bernoulli said that the difference in air pressure under and above the wing cause lift and that this could be achieved by using a curved suface on the topside and a flat surface on the underside of the wing.
Or am I missing something here?
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:49   #15
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Explain? Bernoulli said that the difference in air pressure under and above the wing cause lift and that this could be achieved by using a curved suface on the topside and a flat surface on the underside of the wing.
Or am I missing something here?
An airplane wing creates lift because of Newton's 3rd Law.

The curvature of an airplane wing is not designed to create a difference in air pressure. It's designed to push air downwards as it flows across the wing. According to the third law of Newton, for every force, there is an identical force in the opposite direction. At the same time an airplane wing pushes air down, the air also pushes the wing up. Which is the reason an aircraft flies.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:50   #16
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

That's exactly the same explanation you know.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:52   #17
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Ailerons control the roll of the aircraft and are located on the outside half of the main wing. Flaps are used to increase lift when the aircraft is flying slow and are located on the inner half of the main wing.
Then we have the elevators in the tail wing that control the pitch, and the rudder in the tail that controls the jaw.

Now, I don't know if they came up with some revolutionary technology that changed this, but I believe this has been like this ever since the invention of these components. Or ofcourse they could have taught me wrong .

Also, I don't think that an aircraft can fly upside down and maintain its altitude without changing the angle of attack, but I haven't fully read the article in the opening post, so I might be off.
The fact that you CAN change the angle of attack and still fly even with the convex side of the wing facing mostly downwards was much of the articles point.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 19:59   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
An airplane wing creates lift because of Newton's 3rd Law.

The curvature of an airplane wing is not designed to create a difference in air pressure. It's designed to push air downwards as it flows across the wing. According to the third law of Newton, for every force, there is an identical force in the opposite direction. At the same time an airplane wing pushes air down, the air also pushes the wing up. Which is the reason an aircraft flies.
MrL, no it's not the same explanation... he claims the wing pushes air down.

Leshy, I find it a bit hard to grasp, so explain this.
Does it have to do with the COANDA effect? The air following the wings shape closely and when it reaches the end of the wing having a downward motion?

Then still, the air pressure on the topside of the wing is still lower. This should have effect on the lift... no?

I'm open for new ideas here!
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:00   #19
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
That's exactly the same explanation you know.
Not entirely, but I can't remember the entire technical explanation in the difference. It was in the Science & Education section of the newspaper a good while ago.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:01   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

I changed his argument a bit in my mind because as it stands it says that 'the plane pushes air down and an equal amount of stuff is pushed up' which just leaves it falling at g.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:04   #21
Marilyn Manson
Gone

Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Marilyn Manson has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Question

Are Jakiris aerodynamic, and if not, why not?
Marilyn Manson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:07   #22
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
Leshy, I find it a bit hard to grasp, so explain this.
Does it have to do with the COANDA effect? The air following the wings shape closely and when it reaches the end of the wing having a downward motion?
Yes.

Let me see if I can find the article somewhere.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:13   #23
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
Yes.

Let me see if I can find the article somewhere.
I don't know... it sounds like you are able to build an airplane with a big air intake and a curved tube to convert the air down.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:35   #24
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Quote:
I don't know... it sounds like you are able to build an airplane with a big air intake and a curved tube to convert the air down.
It's called a Harrier
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 20:37   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Quote:
It's called a Harrier
yeah, but that one has a big engine thrusting down... I mean with natural forces and a good portion of forward motion.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 21:16   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by Marilyn Manson
Are Jakiris aerodynamic, and if not, why not?
I fly through the air with the greatest of ease, flitting hither and thither.
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 21:20   #27
JammyJim
Godfather

JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.JammyJim has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
erm planes CAN fly upside down?

The wing isnt 'flat' on on the bottom side?

The controls merely reverse? i.e. you move down to go down and up to go up?
It's not personal, it's just business.
JammyJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Sep 2003, 21:21   #28
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

Quote:
Originally posted by JammyJim
erm planes CAN fly upside down?
Someone's never seen the red arrows!