User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion > Hardware and Tech Support

Unread 27 Oct 2002, 15:00   #1
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Internet Connection Help/Explorer Errors

Can anyone help a friend of mine?

His internet explorer has packed up, gives an error message of "Internet Explorer Browser cannot connect to the internet", yet his connection works fine, his (norton) firewall is completely disabled.

Using WinXP if that helps at all. Anyone got any advice?
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 15:43   #2
Flavius

Flavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet societyFlavius is a pillar of this Internet society
try disabling xp's firewall

see if his internet works by using some other program, like mIRC

if it doesnt, then its his connection
if it does, try reinstalling ie or installing another browser
Flavius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:43   #3
Xearz

Xearz is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of connection is he on?

Why does the airforce need new expensive bombers? Have the people we've been bombing all these years been complaining about the old ones?

#ipc-alliance
www.ipc-alliance.com
Xearz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 20:58   #4
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
could also be a DNS problem....
I've had the same thing today when my ISP's DNS system failed and IE couldn't open any sites. I could use MSN and other IP-using programs.

Try to open a site with an IP address: google: 216.239.39.101
Unread 27 Oct 2002, 22:54   #5
Ragnarak

Ragnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to beholdRagnarak is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by Structural Integrity
could also be a DNS problem....
I've had the same thing today when my ISP's DNS system failed and IE couldn't open any sites. I could use MSN and other IP-using programs.

Try to open a site with an IP address: google: 216.239.39.101
that's what i was gonna say

(try typing the numbers into the address box where you normally type the address)
Ragnarak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2002, 10:25   #6
Miserableman
Not a Cow

Miserableman is an unknown quantity at this point
From the command prompt type:

ping 216.239.39.101

If this works (you get a response) try:

ping www.google.com

If this works, and IE is not, then IE is not pointing at your default gateway (a system-wide setting that says "anything to do with the internet: ask this computer"). In Internet Explorer go to Tools->Options->Connections->LAN Settings, and make sure it's not set up to use a proxy.

Other info that would help: what type of connection is your friend on (e.g. Uni LAN, 56K dialup) and what does typing "ipconfig /all" at the command prompt when you're connected show?