User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Strategic Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 23 May 2003, 10:28   #1
Andy_r
X$X

Andy_r is an unknown quantity at this point
Starting round 9.5 with 6 roids of each type

So, the temptation of a free short round was too much for me, and I'm going to play once more.

On the portal, Spinner says that we will start the round with a full tech tree and 6 roids of each type, but pedantic cynic that I am, I am left wondering if he meant 6M 6C 6E or if he meant 6M 6C 6E & 6 uniitiated?

Has there been any precedent for this in the speedgames?

btw, is it just me or does this topic fit the name 'strategic discussions' well, but seems to sit a bit uneasily under 'tactical discussions'?
R3 172:21:12 | R 4 136:8:5 | R5 30:25:12 | R6 11:5:1 | R7 40:25:17 | R8 30:1:5 | R9.5 36:10:14 | R10 1:5:9 Boldness of Helvetica

Proud to have been [YHQ] until the end of YHQ [VtS] until the end of Legion [Titans] until the end of Titans and |R6B| for Speedgames
Andy_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 10:53   #2
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
afaik spinner meant that its 6 of each roid so that gives u

6m
6c
6e
6u

will be intresting to see what way of init those 6 unititated roids gives the best start

"In the absence of orders, find something and kill it."
-Rommel
gzambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 11:28   #3
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Imo it will be 6 M/C/E roids and no uninit as they cant really be called a sort of roid until they are initiated....but we're just speculating anyway..

If we get 6 uninit aswell me personally would probably go 4C/2E, possibly 5/1 but not any M thats for sure.
Unread 23 May 2003, 11:39   #4
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
I think there will be alot of roids fast.
The res tech tree is finished with 3k extra of each, alot of the quests are done with the advantages that gives.
Build an early fighter to get those extra thingies from launching att and def fleets against top 10 blahblahblah.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 12:23   #5
black-eyed boy
ND

black-eyed boy is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
Build an early fighter to get those extra thingies from launching att and def fleets against top 10 blahblahblah.
heh with every planet in the universe in protection mode for first 72 ticks it's gonna be a tough one
just why we're really here
black-eyed boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 12:27   #6
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
Assuming we get protection...
THere's a lot to assume really
Unread 23 May 2003, 12:38   #7
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Quote:
Originally posted by SYMM
Assuming we get protection...
THere's a lot to assume really

There WILL be 72 ticks protection like a normal round, Spinner said so in CH
Unread 23 May 2003, 12:49   #8
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
If the 'full tech tree' means that we also get all constructions, this means that we start with a full set of mines also. With normal mines and core mines, you get an extra income worth 54 roids (18 of each type). Also, with no research required for roid scans, you can get your first roids on tick 6... I think we could see people having a lot of roids when protection ends.

However, with 72 roids worth of income right at the start, it would be possible to build a decent fleet in time for protection ending, and roid the people who just initiated roids.

I'll probably try to scan some roids at first, then try to build up enough fleet to deter attackers before protection ends.

Which tactic will you use?
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 13:51   #9
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

gzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant futuregzambo has a brilliant future
having looked at the list of quests that have to be done it seems to me that there will be plenty of roids out there for the taking once protection ends, also if we are given unititiated roids then i reckon 3m/3e will be the better solution because u will get plenty of c roids from the quests just by changeing the page between research and construction @ tick 1

-Rommel
Unread 23 May 2003, 14:04   #10
SpazMonster
No, really...

SpazMonster is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ComradeRob
If the 'full tech tree' means that we also get all constructions, this means that we start with a full set of mines also. With normal mines and core mines, you get an extra income worth 54 roids (18 of each type). Also, with no research required for roid scans, you can get your first roids on tick 6... I think we could see people having a lot of roids when protection ends.

However, with 72 roids worth of income right at the start, it would be possible to build a decent fleet in time for protection ending, and roid the people who just initiated roids.

I'll probably try to scan some roids at first, then try to build up enough fleet to deter attackers before protection ends.

Which tactic will you use?
As always, the 'best' will be somewhere inbetween. If you go all out initiating it'd be quite easy to have over 200 roids before protection ends which would be very cool but very dangerous. If you go straight for fleet building, you're taking a rather large chunk of potential incoming out of your own economy.
Unread 23 May 2003, 14:10   #11
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

given that roids equal income i can see most ppl will prob go for 1st half of protection init roids then build ships for 2nd half so they got something to protect them with kinds obvious i know but i reckon there will be some ppl out there with no ships when protection ends

-Rommel
Unread 23 May 2003, 14:18   #12
Ultimate Newbie
Commodore

Ultimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himUltimate Newbie is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
given that roids equal income i can see most ppl will prob go for 1st half of protection init roids then build ships for 2nd half so they got something to protect them with kinds obvious i know but i reckon there will be some ppl out there with no ships when protection ends
Well, if you went all roids, would you be able to build sufficient defence ships in the 6-8 ticks that you may get incoming?

If yes, dont build any ships till u get attacked
Ultimate Newbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 15:07   #13
hyfe
Dum Di Dum Di

hyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet societyhyfe is a pillar of this Internet society
With all starting with minimum ETA: i don't think building defence as the incoming pop-ups will be viable.

With some people actually using quite a few ticks for building ships; some incomings might actually be quite decent sized too...

And since defence will be ****e scarce; and newscan will exists, people won't be afraid of hitting the bigger gals early either.. I've got a bad feeling the bigger planets in the start, will be the ones who have no qualms about signing up a couple of extra planets :/
Unread 23 May 2003, 17:27   #14
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
I'm going for the roidwhore option, and mass ship building in time to coincide with the end of protection.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 May 2003, 18:22   #15
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
I'm going for the roidwhore option, and mass ship building in time to coincide with the end of protection.
/me has found his first target

-Rommel
Unread 23 May 2003, 19:42   #16
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by gzambo
/me has found his first target
Remember, you have to order your pods/vultures no later than tick 60/64 to be able to launch at tick 72, leaving you with less resources to build ships to defend your roids. I expect we'll see lots of retals and fleet-catching in the first week.
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:08   #17
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
ummmm

do u do all the quests at one time, or do u save them till roids costs a 'bit' more?
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:23   #18
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place
So now we know that tick72 will be at 4pm, will this change things?
I know i'll be waiting the extra 6/7 hrs to launch at a time when fewer people are awake
Unread 24 May 2003, 17:26   #19
gzambo
Fightin-irish for life

Quote:
I know i'll be waiting the extra 6/7 hrs to launch at a time when fewer people are awake
well it would depend, if u see a planet getting roid fat and monitor it as the protection ends should u send fleet at him if he has none and take his roids straight away or wait till later when he has ships

-Rommel
Unread 24 May 2003, 23:38   #20
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

Quote:

Or, you launch right away and use the newsies you will have ready (;
Unread 25 May 2003, 15:11   #21
Ultramar
:)

Ultramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura aboutUltramar has a spectacular aura about
Are all the quests still included or is spinner gonna change them for the new round due to the all res/con?

Did i not see summat in CH last week about changing them?
Ultramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25 May 2003, 15:13   #22
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

Spinner said they'd be different in r10, i can't see them spending the time/effort to change anything for 9.5.