User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions

Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:18   #1
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light
Computer geeks

I was in the pub a few hours ago talking to a friend; I told her I was planning to study computer sciences next year: "oh my god" she replied. I asked why... "all those computers all the time!" she replied. I thought "JOY JOY JOY" :/
Yeah, I suppose I'm a geek, but I'm proud of it!
And why shouldn't I? Everyone knows computer gaming is going to be the sport of the 21st century and programmers have loads of sex-appeal
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:22   #2
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts
Re: Computer geeks

You know it's possible to be intresting without telling people you use computers all the time.

It's like the TV of the 21st century.

Bound to be a turn off, I mean seriously who the **** finds a couch potato who's seen every episode of eastenders intresting. Or has got a perfect score on test the nation....
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:28   #3
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

if you think computer science is about playing/making games and being in front of the computer all day you're gonna be in for the shock of your life.
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:32   #4
Sarina_Joy
Twisted

Sarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriendSarina_Joy needs a job and a girlfriend

I never thought I was a 'computer geek' until yesterday when it dawned on me that spending 9 hours playing Masters of Orion 2 isn't normal :\

In my sleep I grind my teeth.
Sarina_Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:33   #5
Evergreen
the merciless

Evergreen is infamous around these partsEvergreen is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I never thought I was a 'computer geek' until yesterday when it dawned on me that spending 9 hours playing Masters of Orion 2 isn't normal :\
It is you know. It's a totally spanking game.

Never thought you had it in you tbh, you always came across to me as a casual chat pc user.
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:36   #6
KoeN
Lucky
Helicopter Champion

KoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant futureKoeN has a brilliant future

this reminds of this friend of hans and me who told us last year he'd study CS. we burned him down to the ground, begged him not to do it etc, but now he studies CS anyway. the bastard!
now i have a rl m8 who studies CS
byebye reputation...
KoeN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:37   #7
Bloomers III
Cute and cuddly

Bloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura aboutBloomers III has a spectacular aura about

i'm a geek in denial! i onyl go on the internet to be sociable.....with people i have never met
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 01:59   #8
JetLinus
Friendly geek of GD :-/

JetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud ofJetLinus has much to be proud of
Arrow Re: Computer geeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarina_Joy
I can assure you it IS normal, compared to 2 of my mates and me playing it for 40 hours a week hotseat...
(I think we did that some time ago in some sort of christmas holidays anyway. Great fun!!! Lithovors + Resistant r0x0rs!)
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 02:09   #9
Androme
☆ ♥ 

Androme can only hope to improve

Sarina - you also happen to forget that only people play Sonic The Hedgehodge for 12 hours too
R3: LegioN (came #32) || R4: BlueTuba
R5: WolfPack Order || R6: Wolfpack
R7: Fury
----------retired-------
R52-R55: Apprime
R56-R57: FaceLess
R58-60: Apprime/Ultores
Androme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 11:15   #10
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flayer
and programmers have loads of sex-appeal
eeeeh... only the appeal perhaps...

BTW, computer-geeks rock!
And KoeN, computer-engineering > computer-science
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 11:20   #11
wu_trax

wu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet societywu_trax is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoeN
this reminds of this friend of hans and me who told us last year he'd study CS. we burned him down to the ground, begged him not to do it etc, but now he studies CS anyway. the bastard!
now i have a rl m8 who studies CS
byebye reputation...
for a moment i seriously thought CS means counter strike.
now how sick is that, especially given the fact that i never played that damn game and that i more or less study CS?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 11:46   #12
Flayer
Wankoverable

Flayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of lightFlayer is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
if you think computer science is about playing/making games and being in front of the computer all day you're gonna be in for the shock of your life.
computer science or computer engineering etc... I'm not sure what the _english_ term is for what I want
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 13:47   #13
skiddy
wild one

skiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so littleskiddy contributes so much and asks for so little

Microsoft Certified, Epson Certified, Cisco Certified.

So NOT a computer geek.
skiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 14:55   #14
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts

Quote:
I was in the pub a few hours ago talking to a friend; I told her I was planning to study computer sciences next year: "oh my god" she replied. I asked why... "all those computers all the time!" she replied. I thought "JOY JOY JOY" :/
Yeah, I suppose I'm a geek, but I'm proud of it!
And why shouldn't I? Everyone knows computer gaming is going to be the sport of the 21st century and programmers have loads of sex-appeal
I do the same study but there is a difference between computer geeks and normal ppl. You will notice it when you are in you class.
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 14:58   #15
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wu_trax
for a moment i seriously thought CS means counter strike.
So did I... are we special?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 14:58   #16
Zword
more then you can ever be

Zword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these partsZword is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KraKto$is8
So did I... are we special?
no just obsessed
(20:55:52) (@w2k) if registrations are disabled how did spinner sign up :\
(20:56:29) (@w2k) spinner isnt cool anymore

(06:41:50) (Shai-gar) Add meaple to Your Ignore List
(06:42:00) (Ghosteh) why?
(06:42:24) (Shai-gar) i dislike the ****
(06:42:37) (Ghosteh) heh

/me likes meaple <3
Zword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:00   #17
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
computer science or computer engineering etc... I'm not sure what the _english_ term is for what I want
The term is correct, the reality does not involve games but does involve making lots of flowchart type things and long detailed design documents.
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:04   #18
Evergreen
the merciless

Haven't you aged yet gayle?

<Jassy> aryn, how can u let ppl spread shit in this chan? ur not doing ur job properly if u let ppl spread shit
<Jassy> in real life sunday would be in court
<Jassy> i can get him glined
<Jassy> #feds are here to stamp out abuse

<mist|zZz> we don't do channel politics, /ignore is your friend
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:06   #19
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Not for another month and a half. Then I'm over the hill and past it
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:06   #20
KraKto$is8
Lurker

KraKto$is8 is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zword
no just obsessed

Isn't that the same thing?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:15   #21
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
The term is correct, the reality does not involve games but does involve making lots of flowchart type things and long detailed design documents.
Yes, both are actually quite boring if you're not really interested in software.
Iin these (almost) four years I've done computer engineering I have had only one project in which I had to make a game... it had to be MFC, so it wasn't really like you had much choice about what it was going to be either. I made a half-working reaction-time measure game... or whatever name you want to give it.

Nooo, going to do computer science/engineering because you'll get to program 1337 games is a big illusion. I know I fell for it.
However, with the knowledge you gather at school you should be very able to make something that looks like a game. But i guess it takes some special dedication to actually pull something off.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 15:42   #22
Luckeh!!!!
-=Murderous Plush Toy=-

Luckeh!!!! will become famous soon enoughLuckeh!!!! will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Yes, both are actually quite boring if you're not really interested in software.
Iin these (almost) four years I've done computer engineering I have had only one project in which I had to make a game... it had to be MFC, so it wasn't really like you had much choice about what it was going to be either. I made a half-working reaction-time measure game... or whatever name you want to give it.

Nooo, going to do computer science/engineering because you'll get to program 1337 games is a big illusion. I know I fell for it.
However, with the knowledge you gather at school you should be very able to make something that looks like a game. But i guess it takes some special dedication to actually pull something off.
my group project is to make a java based Risk game, not bad compared to last years who had to make a graph API lol

anyway, both computer science and computer engineering involves ALOT of reading/doing
Luckeh!!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 17:14   #23
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Computer Science has an immense amount of reading attached, and (at cambridge) a horde of mathematics.
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 18:10   #24
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Dilly_D is infamous around these partsDilly_D is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luckeh!!!!
haha, yup...my roomate is on his last year (4th year) of computer science...he has sooo much work to do all the time, always coding and programming and shit...pretty much non stop
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 20:50   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

I don't know wht people look down on geeks so much. I mean, if it wasn't for geeks, you wouldn't be playing your cool games now, or be fiddling around with the internet, or be able to instant-message all your friends, or even have teletext.
A bit more respect, yeah!
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 21:50   #26
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
why haha ?
why not haha?
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 22:01   #27
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

When a was a young unknowledgeable boy i though:

"Yuck i don't want to spend all my time in front of a computer in an office that'd be so dull and i don't think i'd like it. Doesn't feel natural enough."

When i was a little older and a little more knowledgeable i though:

"But i'm pretty fk'ing ace at computing. And making games would be cool cos i'd be creating something. Exercising the mind is very important."

When i was a little older, and after my degree in computer science with games and graphics, and when i was alot more knowledgeable i though:

"Yuck i don't want to spend all my time in front of a computer in an office it would send me insane and i want to talk to humans more and exercise my body more and moreoer i just wouldn't like it. Doesn't feel natural enough."
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 22:04   #28
Dilly_D
Oh Canada!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavius
why laugh at someone when he's working?
I wasn't
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 22:23   #29
Pyr0 MK III
Look! He's Dancing!

Pyr0 MK III is an unknown quantity at this point

LaughOutLoud
[22:18] <nodrog> Cock: 8" (20cm) uncut
[22:18] <nodrog> Balls: Large hefty balls, stretched max 6" (15.5cm)
[22:18] <nodrog> Arse: Can take two fists, or one fist almost to the elbow, but slow warming up.
Pyr0 MK III is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Jan 2004, 23:02   #30
Flayer
Wankoverable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weeks
When a was a young unknowledgeable boy i though:

"Yuck i don't want to spend all my time in front of a computer in an office that'd be so dull and i don't think i'd like it. Doesn't feel natural enough."

When i was a little older and a little more knowledgeable i though:

"But i'm pretty fk'ing ace at computing. And making games would be cool cos i'd be creating something. Exercising the mind is very important."

When i was a little older, and after my degree in computer science with games and graphics, and when i was alot more knowledgeable i though:

"Yuck i don't want to spend all my time in front of a computer in an office it would send me insane and i want to talk to humans more and exercise my body more and moreoer i just wouldn't like it. Doesn't feel natural enough."
so.. what are you doing now
Unread 4 Jan 2004, 00:43   #31
Weeks
Banned

Weeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriendWeeks needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
so.. what are you doing now
Learning French, will goto live in Nice (i think) afterward and do any work possible, yacht work, bar work etc. Anything non-computery/officey to get me by.

Then i will hopefully find something that i will want to focus on for the rest of my life or at least a good chunk of it.

p.s. i dont really regret doing my comp sci degree. i just dont want to spend the rest of my life doing computing.
Weeks is offline   Reply With Quote