User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 21 Nov 2003, 16:55   #1
Morphose
Old Man

Morphose is an unknown quantity at this point
PHP timer?

I am just now learning PHP and I was wondering if PHP has a type of timer function, or if it would have to be done with something like Javascript. I want to be able to run a script at a predetermined time every day, maybe 2-3 times a day. Would PHP be capable of this or would Perl, or something else be necessary to facilitate this desire?

Alliances include; HMA, Legion, NOS, Elysium, Myth, ROCK, and ODDR

I'm playing because its cheaper than drugs
Morphose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 16:59   #2
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Re: PHP timer?

google crontab
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 18:54   #3
W
Gubbish

W is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the roughW is a jewel in the rough

Launching of timed scripts is a task for the operating system or it's utilities, not the scripting language itself. A cgi scipt does not run when it's not generating output for a browser.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 18:55   #4
Rayden
Enforcer

Rayden is an unknown quantity at this point

crontab isn't php he would need to exec() it.

you could use date() since it can fetch you any time variable you want.. and you could check it against what you'd want..
Rayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 19:43   #5
SYMM
Love's Sweet Exile

SYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better placeSYMM single handedly makes these forums a better place

That would require the script to be running constantly, and then perform the desired action at the time....listen to W
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 19:43   #6
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayden
crontab isn't php he would need to exec() it.

you could use date() since it can fetch you any time variable you want.. and you could check it against what you'd want..
He means 'set up a cron job to run the script at the required interval' via whatever access to a shell he has.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 21:52   #7
Morphose
Old Man

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. The purpose of this is so that when I make my website, which I am only working on from home home right now (no website available as of yet), I want it to update every hour of every day. Mostly for statistics, news and a few other things. One of the things I want to do is create a small game, nothing elaborate, just to occupy time, that updates on an hourly basis how many people play, what their scores are and such.

Thanks alot guys for the help.

Unread 21 Nov 2003, 22:33   #8
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

If you don't have any shell access or your hosts won't set you up with a crontab, www.7host.com will call a web-address at a period you specify for a small fee, it might be another option to consider.
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 23:04   #9
Add

Add will become famous soon enoughAdd will become famous soon enough

PHP Code:
<?php
set_time_limit
(60*60*24*7); //run for 1 week (or as long as the system is online.. whichever comes first)
ignore_user_abort(); //you can close the browser and it will(should) still run

$interval 60*60//1 hour
$start time();
while (
TRUE) {

$now $time();
  if ((
$now $start) >= $interval) {

//execute your shit

$start time();
  }
}
?>
it can be done but please don't do it it's horrible.

p.s the above may or may not work i havn't written php for months

p.p.s a c style language looks so nice after writing in ada for the past few months
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 23:09   #10
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add
PHP Code:
<?php
set_time_limit
(60*60*24*7); //run for 1 week (or as long as the system is online.. whichever comes first)

$interval 60*60//1 hour
$start time();
while (
TRUE) {

$now $time();
  if ((
$now $start) >= $interval) {

//execute your shit

$start time();
  }
}
?>
it can be done but please don't do it it's horrible.

p.s the above may or may not work i havn't written php for months
using sleep(($now-$start)+$interval) would help on system resources
spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das
rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch
das blinkenlights!!!
Gayle29uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21 Nov 2003, 23:27   #11
Add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle29uk
using sleep(($now-$start)+$interval) would help on system resources
set_time_limit ignores sleep (afaik)
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 07:13   #12
Morphose
Old Man

I'm just learning PHP, guys so bare with me. I would think that the crontab would work better, because it seems you don't have to activate it. As for the script you are talking about Add and Gayle29uk, wouldn't you have to at some point run the script from something that will start the script for it to work. I know you have to manually start a script or have a webpage start the script when it is hit. In PHP that is. It doesn't just run all the time..... or am I mistaken?

Sorry, if that is confusing, I woke up out of a dead sleep and wrote this....

Unread 22 Nov 2003, 10:38   #13
Add

yes, you would run the script to start it, then close your browser and it should keep on running, there is no way to stop it though bar leaving it a week or turning off the server
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 11:26   #14
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Err, but what about the script timeout? Apache, by default, kills any script that takes longer than 30 seconds. So again, you need access to the server settings.
Structural Integrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 13:20   #15
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Basicly, just go with the crontab option.
Any decent non-free host will be happy to help you out by setting up the cron job for you if you don't have shell access (it's unlikely you will on a webhosting account) if you explain what you want clearly and it's not going to use all the system resources.
7host has allready been mentioned, Impulsed (who I use) is also one to look at. An advantage of impulsed is you can talk to the directly on Netgamers IRC if you have any problems or requests.

Unread 22 Nov 2003, 21:22   #16
Morphose
Old Man

Only problem is that rigt now, my funds are rather deflated..... errr.....rather nonexistant to be more precise. I can't afford anything other than free, but I will keep those webhosts in mind when I get some income. Thanks for your help.

Unread 22 Nov 2003, 21:57   #17
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend

Set up a timer on your own PC with the windows task manager. Then you let that one call your update page. Disadvantage would be that if you return in the morning you have a load of browser windows open.

Otherwise you could have a META-Refresh (in HTML) on your page that refreshes every x seconds as long as you keep the page open.

However, both methods require you to keep your comp on.
Unread 22 Nov 2003, 22:28   #18
meglamaniac
Born Sinful

meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.meglamaniac has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Nice bit of thinking "outside the box" there SI.
That's probably the best solution while a free host is involved.

Unread 23 Nov 2003, 12:57   #19
Add

Quote:
Originally Posted by Structural Integrity
Err, but what about the script timeout? Apache, by default, kills any script that takes longer than 30 seconds. So again, you need access to the server settings.
not when set_time_limit is used, as far as i know.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 15:45   #20
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Doesn't work on safe-mode though, which a lot if not most free hosts will be applying.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 18:12   #21
Add

does it really matter i said it was possible in theory, not that it was good practice.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 18:40   #22
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

Oi.

Yes it matters because it's further clarification of what Struct asked so if anyone asks it in the future 'they'll know'.

Relax.
Unread 23 Nov 2003, 23:25   #23
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Gayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really niceGayle29uk is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add
set_time_limit ignores sleep (afaik)
In terms of counting processor time used yes, but using sleep() will reduce the processor overhead by stopping it looping constantly
das blinkenlights!!!
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 01:39   #24
Morphose
Old Man

Yes, I agree that some of these suggestions are also very good, but there is another problem which, I'm sorry to say about Structural Integrity's suggestion, I forgot to mention. I am still on dial-up. I have no kind of broadband access either. Short of asking my friend at my ISP's company to set me up a website, I am most likely going to have to use the crontab suggestion and see if some of the webhosts out there provide crontab services. That seems to me like the most effecient and effective way to go about it. Later when I am able to get a Website of my own, I'm sure it will be good to do many of the things I've thought about doing, but right now, since my funds are limited and I am using free hosts to learn and bug-hunt my scripts I am in sad shape.

Unread 24 Nov 2003, 08:56   #25
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Hey, do these free hosts also have the PHP socket functionality enabled?

If so you can pretend to be a browser client from a HTTP script by connecting to localhost and doing a GET request. You let the HTTP script call itself over and over again and check against the time as Add suggested, and if your tick time passed you call the update page.

So:

Code:
HTTP-Script -> HTTP-Script -> HTTP-Script -> ad infinitum
     |               |               |
check time      check time      check time

Ofcourse, this is far from gracefull, but you'll fool the server big time, and might even piss off some serveradmins if they find out (though I'd merely pull an odd face if I saw something like that), but in theory this would work
Unread 24 Nov 2003, 16:13   #26
Morphose
Old Man

Thanks, but I have no idea. Like I said, I'm just learning PHP, have zero PERL knowledge (although I just installed it last night so I can learn), and some very decent grasp of HTML. I can make a decent webpage, but when it comes to all this other jazz, I have to go lookup what everyone is suggesting.... hehehe

But I appreciate all the help you guys have been giving me!

Unread 24 Nov 2003, 16:19   #27
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

I don't think most free hosts allow sockets, my paid one doesn't.

Shame really, I could have done with my own CGI IRC portal last year.
Unread 25 Nov 2003, 01:10   #28
SystemShock

SystemShock is an unknown quantity at this point

Another way would be to get someone else (with shell enabled host) to call your script through lynx.

SI, most of them don't, I think.

<Kjeldoran> and I'm a prick
^^ Always thought it was true. :/

Outcast,
Eclipse.
SystemShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26 Nov 2003, 00:32   #29
Gayle29uk
Bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablissimo
I don't think most free hosts allow sockets, my paid one doesn't.

Shame really, I could have done with my own CGI IRC portal last year.
There's a lot of paid hosts that allow socket access, just not RAW socket access
das blinkenlights!!!