User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > Programming and Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:27   #1
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about
Networking question

Hi, been trying to connect my desktop to my laptop to little avail. I can share the internet connection easily, but no file saring happens.

If I try to map a network drive, I can see both computers in the workgroup, but can't see any of the files, or select them.

Anyone know what I should do?

Ta muchly
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 19:58   #2
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would
Re: Networking question

is the file and printer sharing service enabled for both machines?
Have you set up any shares for the service to use?
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 21:33   #3
Welshy

Welshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura aboutWelshy has a spectacular aura about

I thought I did, but on the desktop I get an error when I try to enable file nd printer sharing when using the network wizard - is there a way to do it manually? It works fine on the laptop.
Unread 24 Sep 2006, 22:28   #4
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

go to control panel -> network adaptors
find the lan card, and go to its properties.
click the install button, select service , click add and go for file and printer sharing service.
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 00:38   #5
Welshy

Tried doing that, but apparantly I already have it installed :s any other suggestions?
Unread 25 Sep 2006, 02:31   #6
Welshy

It's ok now - I just chaged the version of XP I was using from an unoffical "sp3" type install to the regular sp2 one and I don't have the problem anymore.

thanks ver much for your help anyway phil^