User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Alliance Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 27 Oct 2004, 01:23   #1
BoredOfThis
Still Dreadnought

BoredOfThis is an unknown quantity at this point
In the age of lesser numbers shouldnt......

The winning alliance be judged by average member score?
BoredOfThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 01:36   #2
Fyodor
Behe

Fyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant futureFyodor has a brilliant future
Re: In the age of lesser numbers shouldnt......

Ive always thought that average member score is the best way to judge an alliances true worth. Tbh 1up's showing thus far this round has impressed me infinitely more then their win did last round.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 03:14   #3
Slowfinger
Registered Abuser

Slowfinger is an unknown quantity at this point

then you'd get t10 players branching off and creating their own 1-man alliances right at the end of the round to steal victory

r16 - 82nd.
r17+ Sabbatical.
r43 - the temptation was too great.
Slowfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 03:15   #4
Synthetic_Sid

Synthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet societySynthetic_Sid is a pillar of this Internet society

Average score is too easily manipulated. Aside from anything else, the #1 planet could make their own alliance and be guaranteed of having the highest average score.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 03:17   #5
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

Just give 1up time theyll be nr1 soon anyway, if they keep growing like they are atm. Theyll simply have double the avg score of the other alliances and make up for their lacking numbers by it.
Very impressive indeed.
Lei~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 05:55   #6
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

Average score really only shows the par of the universe. If an alliance is performing better than that par, then i suppose it could be said that they are better.
And come on, any top player that would leave thier ally to win #1 ally would surely be the only one in the alliance he made the next round.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 09:45   #7
Helix

Helix will become famous soon enoughHelix will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chika
And come on, any top player that would leave thier ally to win #1 ally would surely be the only one in the alliance he made the next round.

If I were able to finish as the #1 planet and the sole planet in the #1 alliance I would say that is a good enough note to retire from PA on
Helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 09:55   #8
Kjeldoran
Angels for life !

Kjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond reputeKjeldoran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetic_Sid
Average score is too easily manipulated. Aside from anything else, the #1 planet could make their own alliance and be guaranteed of having the highest average score.
I agree, also alliances with less pple normally have higher avg score. Allainces that put their scanners under the same tag have lower avg score. It's a very good indication, but imo not THE measurement of who won a round.
I think most pple here are objective enough at the end of a round to realize which alliance has won the round. And ifnot, the ranks on the universe page will tell you the rest

FAnG Founder | CEO/HC | Ex Gaming Community Senate
Furious Angels Gaming community

FA Gaming community

No need for a disclaimer ...
Kjeldoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 12:29   #9
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

Alliance success is built on dominance and influence on the game, nothing else.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 16:47   #10
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
Alliance success is built on dominance and influence on the game, nothing else.
Whereas Eclipse was built on dominatrix and alcoholic influence. That QD was a harsh mistress :/

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 23:47   #11
lokken
BlueTuba

lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.lokken has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

QD is a pussycat son

Clearly you haven't been on the end of Cryptic enough.
Unread 27 Oct 2004, 23:55   #12
mazzelaar
Vitriolic

mazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriendmazzelaar needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lokken
QD is a pussycat son

Clearly you haven't been on the end of Cryptic enough.
More than enough. The nightmares still wake me

<@JBG> by the way is mazzelaar a community account that everyone in 1up logs into when they're feeling angry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBGood
mazzelaar has always reminded me of a hungry hungry hippo. Except instead of eating marbles he just bites the heads off new AD posters
mazzelaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 00:00   #13
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

I stole Cryptics jacket/gloved and shades and put them on for the camera.

Clearly i shit myslef when he walked right past me
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 15:26   #14
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei~
Just give 1up time theyll be nr1 soon anyway, if they keep growing like they are atm. Theyll simply have double the avg score of the other alliances and make up for their lacking numbers by it.
Very impressive indeed.
doubtful, it's very easy to take down an alliance when you have twice as many fleets as they do, higher average score/roidcount/value or not.
In addition, 1up has a higher roidcount which leads to higher score, yet not necissarily a value higher enough to make a big impact on a possible war.

FOUNDER OF THE OFFICIAL ASCENDANCY LADY GAGA FAN CLUB

ASCENDANCY DEMOLITION MAN
Linkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 18:37   #15
Lei~
~Gon

Lei~ is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie
doubtful, it's very easy to take down an alliance when you have twice as many fleets as they do, higher average score/roidcount/value or not.
In addition, 1up has a higher roidcount which leads to higher score, yet not necissarily a value higher enough to make a big impact on a possible war.

basically i agree and i dont wanna start any 1up fear propaganda. I still have to notice that 1up are by far the most professional and active alliance and what good are double the fleets if only half of em gets used? also less small members means less random hits and less defense needed...
So i think the advantages and disadvantages are balanced
Lei~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28 Oct 2004, 19:19   #16
Linkie
fanboy

Linkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to beholdLinkie is a splendid one to behold

I am quite sure that if there was an avdvantage in having a smaller alliance, more alliances would have a clean up and keep good players and kick the rest (score- and team-wise).

Unread 29 Oct 2004, 05:03   #17
Inca

Inca is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linkie
I am quite sure that if there was an avdvantage in having a smaller alliance, more alliances would have a clean up and keep good players and kick the rest (score- and team-wise).

you would think that wudn't you

No i agree that average member score/size to me means more than overall score, maybe not in a 1-10 man alliance, but 1up who have 60 active players compared to most major alliances around 90, that still very much puts them in the frame. I think it shows a better level or teamwork and overall ability and so is a better guide as to who is doing what.

I also think that they do inspire fear, they prolly launch as many fleets as most of the bigger alliances, and activity wise what they loose in numbers they make up for in their dedication.

Personally i believe 1up play down their own abilites, watching what happens to previous round winners, the gang rape vengence etc... i think the smaller member base suits their will to again perform well. Having a smaller alliance is of course more manageable which indeed helps any alliance, i think 1up thought carefully about the trade off and were content with the players/numbers they picked.

Up until about 24 hours before i posted this most alliances were pretty loose, attacking pretty much any1, life was pretty spread, one night absolute wud drop a few roids, the next lch, the next mistu etc etc, but it shows the ability and organisation of 1up that they were able to get a substational gap in average member size/score. Of course with naps moving back into the game this will b less relevant.
Inca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29 Oct 2004, 10:05   #18
Linkie
fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inca
Personally i believe 1up play down their own abilites, watching what happens to previous round winners, the gang rape vengence etc... i think the smaller member base suits their will to again perform well. Having a smaller alliance is of course more manageable which indeed helps any alliance, i think 1up thought carefully about the trade off and were content with the players/numbers they picked.

You are quite right in that 1up is playing down their ablities knowing they'd get it hard if they played this round with a full memberbase, possibly hogging the #1 spot early-on. However, I seriously doubt they are still aiming to win. As Sid announced, 1up is playing as Kingmakers, not as Kings themselves. And please, don't you all start saying Sid is the master of propaganda, taking down a 60 member alliances is not that hard, even Sid knows this.

1up making up for lack of fleets with activity is to be honest, a load of bullshit. If you look at the numbers, you'll see 40 members = 120 extra fleets. That means that a full alliance like LCH has ~290 fleets, while 1up has ~180 fleets. Believe me, 1up is not that much more active than other top alliances like LCH, Mistu and so on.
More fleets give alot more room for manouverability, while less, but bigger fleets might do more damage against certain planets and galaxies, it doesn't open up for the tactical advantage having more members have. Ofcourse there is a balance here, but looking at the alliance rankings now, I think that balance is in LCH's favour.