User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 9 Dec 2002, 12:46   #1
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Acceptable processor temperature

I want to ask at which temperature a processor (newish XP or p4) starts dying.

Or: how high can you go without risking instability?

Matrim
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 12:50   #2
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
Around 60 on both really, above that and it is HOLYMOTHER****0RSTURNOFFTHISCPUNOWBABY
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 12:56   #3
Matrim
fascinated by bridges!

Matrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you. Thing is that my father has bought a 2200+ XP which came with a fan the size of a fingernail, and it's quite unstable. After crash I've registered temperatures up to 67 C.

Matrim
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 13:00   #4
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Thats 'bad'.

I suggest either a new, larger fan, or an open case and large quantity of bacon sandwhiches...
o.O
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 13:37   #5
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by xtothez
Thats 'bad'.

I suggest either a new, larger fan, or an open case and large quantity of bacon sandwhiches...
o.O
or LIQUID COOLING!!!
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 14:02   #6
Smugs
Major

Smugs has a little shameless behaviour in the past
WOW man get a new Heat Sink and Fan fast, my mate as an XP 2400 and he only gets up to 42'C Max here is the fan/sink he has.

Great Fan

The Top One.^^

R3 - [None] - 184:10:12
R4 - [FeaR] - 234:25:3 - [MoW]
R5 - [GLX] - XX:XX:8
R6 - [GLX] - 5:13:6 - [MoC]
R7 - [GLX] - 35:XX:13 - [MoC]
R8 - [Flash] - 12:7:1
R9 - [Did Not Play]
R9.5 - [None] -1:10:19 - [MoW]/[MoD]

==Retired Planetarion Veteran==
Smugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:20   #7
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
When you get a new heatsink scrape that thermal pad ****e off the bottom of it and use Arctic Silver instead, much better thermal conductivity for a little more effort, and get a decent fan for the sink (don't bother with the one it comes with as they aren't generally that ace) if it's a cheapo heatsink

Try www.tekheads.co.uk for cooling madness
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:26   #8
starmog
Star teh mog0r

starmog will become famous soon enoughstarmog will become famous soon enough
do all P4's come with built in thermonitor?

if so how to find out what temp the processor is running at? do i have to download softwere?
insert here
starmog custom rank designed by Pyr0 rank design services lmtd.
starmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:34   #9
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
You should be able to find out in your BIOS, if you want it in windows go download Motherboard Monitor 5
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:35   #10
xtothez
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

xtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud ofxtothez has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by starmog
do all P4's come with built in thermonitor?

if so how to find out what temp the processor is running at? do i have to download softwere?
The thermometer is built into almost all modern motherboards. You should be able to see the current temperature in the BIOS, or you could download tools like Sandra or Motherboard Monitor.
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:43   #11
deerbarn
Anal Crumb

deerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to beholddeerbarn is a splendid one to behold
Mine idles at 68 (
(p4 2.4)
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 15:45   #12
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Quote:
Originally posted by deerbarn
Mine idles at 68 (
(p4 2.4)
PIVs can handle about 80

even so, i reccomend fannage
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 16:48   #13
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
My XP1700+ is at 45 degrees (between idle and stressed, I've never really pushed it) and I have half a KG of a heatsink on it. (the ZalMan 6k CU silent heatsink)
My case temp is less nice tho, as it's 37 degrees and I can't figure out where it comes from (as I've got two case fans).
Unread 9 Dec 2002, 17:38   #14
w2k
all grown up

w2k is an unknown quantity at this point
The max recommended temp for AMD XP's is 70 degrees, when they usually reset (you can change it) Altho somewhere between 45-55 degees is best. My XP 1800 is at 50 degree's atm

Aparently the actual chip wont die until 90 degrees but I have never tried it.
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 13:36   #15
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Anyone heard about the Nothwood-sudden-death-syndrome?

scary stuff...
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 13:45   #16
Sardaukar
Shallow

Sardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of lightSardaukar is a glorious beacon of light
Is that like a Silicon infants disease?

8 Arrakiss 1:2:2 1869 26.837.330

Planetarion -> Psytrance Cmon guys its easy
Sardaukar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 15:54   #17
Dead_Meat
Old Man O Deh *****s

Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dead_Meat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Starbucks
even so, i reccomend fannyage
LOLZ !

You dont need to keep beating a dog to get it to stop shitting on the carpet
Dead_Meat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Dec 2002, 19:55   #18
Structural Integrity
Rawr rawr

Structural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriendStructural Integrity needs a job and a girlfriend
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
Anyone heard about the Nothwood-sudden-death-syndrome?

scary stuff...
I read it on tweakers.net
Only seems to happen to overclocked P4's tho.

/me cuddles his AMD XP1700+