User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 1 Sep 2007, 23:53   #51
Spritfire

Spritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really niceSpritfire is just really nice
Re: http://www.planetarion.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
I love Myk, he's a great coder, but I have to say that I think the color choice should have been made slightly different.

But then again, I got no skills with graphics so I am not the one to yell at Myk for being crap.

But seriously, it looks like one of those bad myspace pages for goth chicks with identity/sexual issues pages, i was just waiting for Avril Lavange (sp.) to start playing some depressive chick song.
Myk just made the portal ( code and all that ) not the design I belive?

or am I wrong?
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 02:37   #52
Makhil

Makhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to beholdMakhil is a splendid one to behold

If the portal (graphic) designer read this message:
-the header is great, just lacks a baseline that would be PA's motto.
- the horizontal menu is fine (though why not keep the same colours/effect for all the links in the page...).
-the login box is ok, colors are a bit surprising but it's an interesting contrast.
The real problems start below.
- the news/miscelleanous box looks like pasted from another site, why not keep the same simple design with athin border ? and you sould pick a color already used above : red, orange or turquoise. I would have chosen orange and the same colors scheme for links as in the horizontal meu.
- the articles section is the worst part. If the image in the background of the headers and login box is welcome to create the transparency, in the articles section it just doesn't work, and it makes the reading more difficult (and the image chosen means nothing). Using 4 colors for 1 article alone is a kind of world record, but graphically it is not nice.

example

Last edited by Makhil; 2 Sep 2007 at 03:26.
Makhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 10:13   #53
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritfire
Myk just made the portal ( code and all that ) not the design I belive?

or am I wrong?
you are right. In my opinion its too early to jusge the new portal, as until it has some actual content and funcitonality we arn't seeing the full effect. That said, there are some interesting comments on the design coming up that specifically relate to the content area. I'm sure theese are being looked at.

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 10:14   #54
Markb
PA Team

Markb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the roughMarkb is a jewel in the rough

Myk coded the portal, and a Jolt guy did the graphics

NetGamers Senior CSC Administrator
Markb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 10:36   #55
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makhil
If the portal (graphic) designer read this message:
-the header is great, just lacks a baseline that would be PA's motto.
- the horizontal menu is fine (though why not keep the same colours/effect for all the links in the page...).
-the login box is ok, colors are a bit surprising but it's an interesting contrast.
The real problems start below.
- the news/miscelleanous box looks like pasted from another site, why not keep the same simple design with athin border ? and you sould pick a color already used above : red, orange or turquoise. I would have chosen orange and the same colors scheme for links as in the horizontal meu.
- the articles section is the worst part. If the image in the background of the headers and login box is welcome to create the transparency, in the articles section it just doesn't work, and it makes the reading more difficult (and the image chosen means nothing). Using 4 colors for 1 article alone is a kind of world record, but graphically it is not nice.

example
I'm not sure the black and red should be used tbh. As I mentioned above red and black is on the list of colours that shouldnt be used together and Mit explained why that is so maybe a change to something less probmatic would be an idea
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 2 Sep 2007, 11:50   #56
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
I'm not sure the black and red should be used tbh. As I mentioned above red and black is on the list of colours that shouldnt be used together and Mit explained why that is so maybe a change to something less probmatic would be an idea
I've just seen the site thorugh a colour blind filter and its perfectly readable with any of the three main types of colour blindness. In addition I think the site looks prettyy striking in each of the filters as well (the exception perhaps being when red-->pink, but its still useable).

That said, given what PA is, accessible design is not a priority.

The biggest priority of PATeam with regards to the portal at the moment is getting the functional aspects working and starting to use it. Things like changing colours, changing widths etc. are all minor tweaks that can be done very quickly and easily - but there is no point until we have a site we are comfortable using. I'll post in more detail later - got to go out (gf's birthday).

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Sep 2007, 19:45   #57
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

I've just seen the large virtical banner's now showing... thats pushed the 'sign up now' for round 23 right off the bottom of my screen (and i'm hardly 'low' res - 1280x1024).

For somethign that important to be below the 'fold' is not good at all.

That should be right up, in your face.

<Mendosa> mit is a cute cudlly toy that will be in the shops by christmas
<mig-work> ur now my eternal fav pa god
<Squiz> i name thee, Sir Mit
<Zeus> u my friend are a true gamer I knew u were
Mit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2007, 20:51   #58
GReaper
The BOFH

GReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant futureGReaper has a brilliant future

Ouch, I've just seen the latest adverts. I can understand the need for well placed adverts, however I'm now shocked at the adverts on www.planetarion.com.

Planetarion is a jolt product, it just seems excessive to cover one of your own products with a large number of adverts. This is a site which is supposed to sell Planetarion, yet I can't see how it can do this effectively with two massive adverts for other games.

If you were a new customer who was recommended to Planetarion by a friend or someone else, what would you think about the site?
GReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 3 Sep 2007, 20:59   #59
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mit
I've just seen the large virtical banner's now showing... thats pushed the 'sign up now' for round 23 right off the bottom of my screen (and i'm hardly 'low' res - 1280x1024).

For somethign that important to be below the 'fold' is not good at all.

That should be right up, in your face.
I agree, I think at the very least we should have the signup link in the left hand menu as well. I'll see what we can do.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Sep 2007, 21:00   #60
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
Ouch, I've just seen the latest adverts. I can understand the need for well placed adverts, however I'm now shocked at the adverts on www.planetarion.com.

Planetarion is a jolt product, it just seems excessive to cover one of your own products with a large number of adverts. This is a site which is supposed to sell Planetarion, yet I can't see how it can do this effectively with two massive adverts for other games.

If you were a new customer who was recommended to Planetarion by a friend or someone else, what would you think about the site?
I can only assume that Jolt makes a substantial amount of its money through ads and as such its a valid business decision to sacrifice things in favour of increasing ad-revenue.

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 3 Sep 2007, 21:11   #61
Mit
Let battle commence

Mit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the roughMit is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I agree, I think at the very least we should have the signup link in the left hand menu as well. I'll see what we can do.
Have a look at teh design I did for the portal bid a while back... you really need something big and in your face like the 'prompt panel' that I'd put on the design.

More than just move the text. If you must have lots of graphics - make them work for you, not against you as is currently.

Unread 3 Sep 2007, 21:13   #62
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
I can only assume that Jolt makes a substantial amount of its money through ads and as such its a valid business decision to sacrifice things in favour of increasing ad-revenue.
Banners can be positioned so they can be very effective, in perfect sight, but not so 'in your face'. Problem is, at the moment there is a serious lack of anything on there, so they are taking up the majority of the space.

Unread 3 Sep 2007, 21:17   #63
Tomkat
:alpha:

Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Tomkat has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

The size of adverts isn't as big a deal for me. I like the way it's simple, and there aren't zillions of links all over the place. That is one of the main reasons why I'd go elsewhere; being confused by which link to click. So well done.

I also like the logo, although I'm sure it could be altered to be more striking
Unread 3 Sep 2007, 21:18   #64
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by GReaper
I have seen very little to do with Planetarion since i left in Rnd 11, having seen the portal now, I'd have no idea what the game is about, what the point of signing up is, why I'd want to sign up etc. No useful information at all and a design that `needs work'. Plus being overfaced by 2 monster adverts.

Unread 4 Sep 2007, 11:04   #65
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Round 23 signups are now open! Sign up here. For a list of changes, visit our changelog.
why is advertising for the game below advertising for an un-related product that you have to scroll-down the screen to see

There should be a big area above the annoucements bit with that info in "Sign up Now!" not hidden away below an animated advert.
Unread 4 Sep 2007, 12:11   #66
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Something I think is daft about these ads is on all the jolt sites it seems the vertical and horizontal ads are for the same product. I really cant see how this makes it any more attention grabbing than the same horizontal ad without the vertical one
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2007, 12:24   #67
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

Apparently it's called "roadblocking" and is all the rage at the moment
Unread 4 Sep 2007, 12:48   #68
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

Appocco, is the design being revamped so it dosent look like something made in the late 90s?

<Deffeh> I just told my parents im a homosexual, now they kicked me out
Allfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 4 Sep 2007, 13:02   #69
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allfather
Appocco, is the design being revamped so it dosent look like something made in the late 90s?
yeah, we wouldnt want anything from when allfather was born!
Unread 4 Sep 2007, 13:05   #70
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Allfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these partsAllfather is infamous around these parts

I ment 1990 not 90AD!

Unread 4 Sep 2007, 13:24   #71
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakey
Something I think is daft about these ads is on all the jolt sites it seems the vertical and horizontal ads are for the same product. I really cant see how this makes it any more attention grabbing than the same horizontal ad without the vertical one
Normally, in situations / positions like they are... teh 2 banners are 'merged' to form one big corner banner. The play together to form one larger banner instead of 2 copies of the same ting.

Have a look at www.ign.com to see what I'm meaning.

Unread 5 Sep 2007, 11:27   #72
AndroX
xXx

AndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to allAndroX is a name known to all

Keep it simple, clean and straigh to the point

>> clickerty click click <<

Something I made a while ago. This is with set width's, but of course its also able to set as a 100% page.
Unread 5 Sep 2007, 14:25   #73
Allfather
The PropaGhandi

Though I'm not to fond of all the corners on androx edition of the portal, its 10x better then the current one.

I cant say often enough how butt ugly it is.
Thanks for code, I'm sure its great, but if the person in jolt who "designed" the page do this for a living, he should be fired.

Unread 7 Sep 2007, 19:01   #74
Mit
Let battle commence

That isn't a bad design AndroX, I seem to rememebr seeing it ages back. Its certainly better than whats there - it has a consistant theme which is a good starting point.

I'm assuming from the lack of anything, that the portal topic is now boring again

On a side note, no RSS on the new portal? very bad - thats one big way to draw users back (the forums RSS doesn't count)

Unread 7 Sep 2007, 22:44   #75
Wishmaster
LDK

Wishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himWishmaster is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

I loved yours Mit

Quote:
Originally posted by Newt
I would give me right testicle to be in a gal with you wishmaster!!! wonder if thatd be enough to bribe spinner with hmmmm
<JC`> i sent him a msg saying Wishmaster 0wns, so he recalled
Wishmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Sep 2007, 22:47   #76
Mit
Let battle commence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishmaster
I loved yours Mit
indeed, that was only a quick 'mockup', didn't spend masses of time doing that.

Unread 8 Sep 2007, 23:32   #77
Mit
Let battle commence

Another random thing I've just noticed...

"Copyright ©2000 - 2007, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd." - Jelsoft have NOTHING to do with the portal, planetarion or anything associated to it, so god knows why you've got their copyright on there.

Only thing Jelsoft have anything to do with, is the forums system used here (vBulletin).

And the copyright for Simtech is years out of date.