User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 11 May 2007, 00:50   #1
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend
Queue multiple exiles

Because of the difficulties of getting ministers online for exile votes in relatively inactive galaxies, exiling more than one planet can take days, even when all ministers are in agreement about the need to carry out the exiles. This is because the process of waiting for each minister to vote must be repeated for each planet, and the waiting cannot begin until after the previous exile vote is passed.

For example, if I want to exile three planets from my galaxy, I must start the first vote then wait for all three ministers to vote yes. This may take several hours. By the time the last minister has voted, the first minister has gone offline. I can put another vote up, but I still need to wait for each of the ministers to vote separately. And the problem repeats itself for the third vote. I don't see why we could not run each vote concurrently, allowing ministers to give their votes on each exile separately. So Minister #1 would vote yes three times (on different exiles), then Minister #2 and so on. Obviously a limit on the number of concurrent exiles would be needed (to prevent a galaxy going below the current minimum size), but overall this change would simply make exiling more efficient.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
ComradeRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2007, 07:50   #2
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future
Re: Queue multiple exiles

hmm, I understand how you feel about this, but what really concerns me is that you feel that you need to exile three people in a row in the first place. Exile should be a last resort surely?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2007, 08:07   #3
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

You should realise that for active players there are alot of really crap planets floating about Kal. As PaTeam its easy to stick to ideals and principles ofcourse since in general you ain't being confronted with that part of the game. With the current galaxy sizes and number of planets there is actually quite a big chance on getting alot of inactive/never login planets, and for actives that would ruin their round because in PA you do need a reasonably active gal to survive (unless you are online 24/7 yourself with good alliance support). And i've been in gals where there were only a few active players to even try and exile planets, which could take up to days to even get one planet out, let alone getting rid of more of those dead planets. I fully support this idea with the currect game mechanics in mind.
Unread 11 May 2007, 08:43   #4
Kargool
Up The Hatters!

Kargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet societyKargool is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
hmm, I understand how you feel about this, but what really concerns me is that you feel that you need to exile three people in a row in the first place. Exile should be a last resort surely?
How about trying to play activly for one round, and seeing your planet gets screwed over time and time again because the people in your galaxy either cant defend for shit, or fails to report anything or do anything. I dont know how much time and resources I have used on new players entering my galaxy over the rounds.
Hand holding to some extent is fine, got no problems with that, fkn shaking the pen0r after pottybreaks simply just gets to much for me. If someone wants to play this game they should atleast have the decency to read the manual

Maybe implement a button that says : low active play and one that says high active play, and sort planets by that at the shuffle, because as it is now, no-one benefits from the exile system, or the fact that they get alot of planets that doesnt do anything.
Unread 11 May 2007, 10:20   #5
ComradeRob
wasted

ComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriendComradeRob needs a job and a girlfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
True. But it's already possible to exile these planets, I'm just talking about making it easier to do for inactive galaxies. Active galaxies have no problem exiling quickly, because there will always be three people online simultaneously to act as ministers. Also, exiling isn't just about getting rid of bad planets, it's about making space for active players who are trapped in bad galaxies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kargool
How about trying to play activly for one round, and seeing your planet gets screwed over time and time again because the people in your galaxy either cant defend for shit, or fails to report anything or do anything.
There's no need to be such a whiny brat about it. The world does not owe you an active galaxy, no matter how many newbie's penises you have touched.
“They were totally confused,” said the birdman, whose flying suit gives him a passing resemblance to Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. “The authorities said that I was an unregistered aircraft and to fly, you need a licence. I told them, ‘No. To fly, you need wings’.”
Unread 11 May 2007, 15:49   #6
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

Since the whole point of the ministers having to agree is to make sure the representatives of the galaxy support specific exiles, and not to delay exiling, why not!

I think this should be kept simple, no clever rules making sure only certain types of planets end up going.
Unread 11 May 2007, 16:42   #7
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

while you are at it, add a auto-launch thingy that allows my attack fleet of choice to auto-launch at targets that I like, when the targets anti-my attack fleet is out.

oh oh, add a auto fleet move thingy that auto prelaunches my fleet to 1:1:1 in the event that I cba to log on and I have an incoming fleet that will kill my ships.

almost forgot, mail me some type of head gear or ear set that auto notifies me when a target of my preference is offline for 2 hours or more. Allow me to remotely configure my fleet via voice and launch at this preferred target.
Unread 11 May 2007, 16:56   #8
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeRob
True. But it's already possible to exile these planets, I'm just talking about making it easier to do for inactive galaxies. Active galaxies have no problem exiling quickly, because there will always be three people online simultaneously to act as ministers. Also, exiling isn't just about getting rid of bad planets, it's about making space for active players who are trapped in bad galaxies.
What I was wondering is if this is the correct use of resources though. As we know PA has limited coding resources. Surely it would be better to invest them in solving the problem, rather than making living with the problem easier?

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 May 2007, 17:01   #9
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

bwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond reputebwtmc has a reputation beyond repute

It's also worth mentioning, back in the old days ministers played a much more useful role in (private) galaxies. Part of the reason that people don't take much notice of them now is that they are constantly switched to make exiling easier, this could fix that. We'd still be a long way off making minister positions seem really important, but they might be a part of the game again if people held them for as long as they were doing a good job, and not for as long as they're not around to do an exile.
Unread 11 May 2007, 17:03   #10
bwtmc
thinking, that's all.

I'm not sure the PA community's ever going to be capable of fixing the exile system comprehensively..
Unread 11 May 2007, 17:19   #11
Wandows
[Vision]

Wandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond reputeWandows has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
What I was wondering is if this is the correct use of resources though. As we know PA has limited coding resources. Surely it would be better to invest them in solving the problem, rather than making living with the problem easier?
Does it really matter? The largest problem is coming up with solid new design that doesn't have problems like this, as long as the design isn't there you might aswell spend some time on making the game better playable for the ones who have to work with the problem. Coding in new or expansing existing features generally isn't a whole lot of work for a game like PA, as long as the design is solid and that is what takes alot of time to figure out. And that might also be a thing were PaTeam atm makes mistakes, by having only a handfull of ppl design and code, while actually alot of ppl could help design given they get appropriate input from the game admins. This would automatically leave more time for coding as the few coders have to spent less time fine tuning the features by themselves.
Unread 11 May 2007, 23:40   #12
ComradeRob
wasted

Of course it's better to find a solution that eliminates the need for exiling at all. But if that isn't going to happen, facilitating the more efficient use of the present system is still helpful.
Unread 22 May 2007, 10:16   #13
zokka

zokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura aboutzokka has a spectacular aura about

Couldn't we just change the time it takes to auto exile players?

Say 48 ticks? If a player is inactive he bound to log in unless he wants his ships to be killed.

I'd also considerable shorten the paid planet auto exile as well as 14 days is way too long and even paid planets don't play.
zokka is offline   Reply With Quote