User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Suggestions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 22 Dec 2004, 14:18   #1
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Mid round break

Or breaks in this case.

Last night while the forums were down me and Lokken got talking about the state of AD, this naturally led to the state of the alliances before Lokken piped up that he thought a week break midround would be good and allow everyone to recharge their batteries.

I mentioned i thought it was maybe too long and could lead to some less hardcore players drifiting away and that id perfer more breaks but shorter.

In the end we decided that we though a TWO day break every 500 ticks would be a perfect solution that would be advantagous for all. After all while PA rounds cant really be any shorter than they are its also a bit too long to play at full pace. People start to tire of the game towards the end, much of it due ro either getting worn out with the late nights, getting up at random hours to send defence, start construction ect or just due to having massive incoming every day

A break every 500 ticks for a couple of days would just help everyone get some sleep, get some other things done and have a break from the downheartening incoming. Everyone would then be able to come back a little bit refreshed for the next 500 ticks.

Obviously some coding changes would need made, mainly so that you couldnt launch any fleets offensive fleets that wouldnt land before the ticks stopped (was going to say any fleet but that would be a little harsh on those who need to run fleets as they wouldnt be able to send then out ) so that you wouldnt get some lesser players getting caught out by the break and have their fleets land an attack that the planets had 2 days to sort defence.

All in all I think a break like this would be great for all, I know i could certainly do with a few days where i could get more than a couple hours of sleep
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 15:17   #2
mist
Jolt's best friend

mist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to allmist is a name known to all
Re: Mid round break

i think it's a good idea, both because it means that people can have a break but also because it frees up the servers. there was talk a while ago of renting them out for speed games, which could be done in these breaks. alternativly, a speed gae could simply be run.

-mist
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 15:52   #3
DarkHeart

DarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really niceDarkHeart is just really nice

100% agreed

i missed my alarm to get a jgp b4 my ships landed this morning, and had a goood long unbroken sleep

now im all bright eyed and bushy tailed and rdy to kick some ass
DarkHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 16:32   #4
cypher
U've been Moderated

cypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant futurecypher has a brilliant future

half the fun is the 'endurance' race... who can keep focused long enough during a longer period..

midround breaks would be quite sad tbh as it will prolly help a few people and will be annoying for others but in general it'll always be annoying
cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 17:16   #5
Phil^
Insomniac

Phil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldPhil^ spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

it wouldnt need code changes imo to prevent fleets being launched - all that would be required is to disable covert ops , and stop the ticker. Remember all fleets get launched by the ticker so if someone orders a fleet to go in the break - it wont go until the break is over. Plus - you can always recall a fleet if its not going to land before the break is over - you`d get a few days to do it.

Last edited by Phil^; 22 Dec 2004 at 17:18. Reason: corrected typos
Phil^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 17:43   #6
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him

Quote:
Originally Posted by mist
i think it's a good idea, both because it means that people can have a break but also because it frees up the servers. there was talk a while ago of renting them out for speed games, which could be done in these breaks. alternativly, a speed gae could simply be run.

-mist
Yeah the servers in this time could be used either for public speed games or private ones for those who wish to. Speed games actually would be ideal as well because they can be run with sleep periods built in so people can still get their dose of pa but still get a break and come back refreshed to the real game

Quote:
Originally Posted by cypher
half the fun is the 'endurance' race... who can keep focused long enough during a longer period..

midround breaks would be quite sad tbh as it will prolly help a few people and will be annoying for others but in general it'll always be annoying
Endurance is an issue but thats why I am in favour of a few small breaks rather than one long. it doesnt get too long that it gets that annoying and doesnt break up the round too much. You still need endurance it just gives everyone a very small restbite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil^
it wouldnt need code changes imo to prevent fleets being launched - all that would be required is to disable covert ops , and stop the ticker. Remember all fleets get launched by the ticker so if someone orders a fleet to go in the break - it wont go until the break is over. Plus - you can always recall a fleet if its not going to land before the break is over - you`d get a few days to do it.
Yeah your right that maybe it doesnt need a code change, the reason i think it does is simply people might get caught out especially the less hardcore ones so what should be a fairly easy change (id guess just another conditional clause on the launch page) would be very useful
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22 Dec 2004, 19:08   #7
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

ah! yes... /me imagines himself with full night's sleeps in mid-rounds... /me imagines himself catching up with society... /me imagines himself having more sensual and private time with his bitching girlfriend......... ???!??!

--------------->NO!!! bad idea guys!!!!

hehhehheheh just kidding.. think we should have mid-round breaks.. i agree!

Veneratio | Insomnia | F-Crew | Subh
demiGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23 Dec 2004, 15:44   #8
MAdnRisKy
home wrecker

MAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to beholdMAdnRisKy is a splendid one to behold

and if you leave pa playes with no attacks to organise, then they knuckle down to politics. kinda like quater breaks or whatever, and the coach would shake it up a bit (political shift). yeah sounds good tbh

#pr0nstars - a pimp is for life, not just for christmas
MAdnRisKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 20:27   #9
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

I think a mid round break would be a very good thing

Round 6-10 NoS member-->NoS junior HC
Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Check out toastmonster.com for crazy illustrations and art
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 21:32   #10
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Re: [Discuss] Mid round break

I favour the 2 day break idea every 500 ticks as suggested by someone.
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 22:56   #11
fizzyxl
SiN

fizzyxl is an unknown quantity at this point

As do I. Sleep during a round... sounds sooo good.
Anyway, 2 days per 500 seems fair (its like 2 days every 20 isn't it? Maths not good) it would work out just more than 1 break a month.
fizzyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 23:10   #12
Alessio
deserves a medal

Alessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet societyAlessio is a pillar of this Internet society

If it is gonna happen then I prefer a break at saturday night or something every 3 weeks

But I rather have that the game just goes on.. ( I dont like the idea)
Unread 11 Jan 2005, 23:30   #13
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

A break every Friday and Saturday night would be good Will never happen though so more drunken fleet suicides for me.
arbondigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 00:24   #14
Appocomaster
PA Team

Appocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus wouldAppocomaster spreads love and joy to the forum in the same way Jesus would

some people play more at the weekends. maybe we could have a vote on who would prefer what day(s) for a break - though mist will probably object to this.
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 12:44   #15
MrPubes
Lieutnant Commander

MrPubes can only hope to improve

I like the general Idea of a mid-round break!
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:05   #16
Envious
Ambiguous Anachronism

Envious has a spectacular aura aboutEnvious has a spectacular aura about

The idea itself is great. 3 shorter breaks (like 2 days) in one round seems preferable over 1 long break to me.

You won't have all players agree on a certain day tho, so in order to avoid having it heavily unbalanced for anyone, just go by the tick (e.g. tick 500, 1000, 1500) and it will be more or less evenly distributed over all days and all timezones.
Envious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Jan 2005, 14:18   #17
Banned
Banned

Banned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so littleBanned contributes so much and asks for so little

Banned is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 14:41   #18
Kal
Inactive peon

Kal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant futureKal has a brilliant future

one thing we can do with the current code is to simply stop people form being able to login during the break - that would be an easy way to handle it

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 17 Jan 2005, 19:25   #19
fizzyxl
SiN

fizzyxl is an unknown quantity at this point

why stop people loging in? just stop the ticker! if you stop people loging in then people cant use the time as a break to plan stuff if they want... or is that the point and if so that is not so good. i think the break should be from worrying about attacks etc, not just a general no PA.

as it is i am missing the round!!! if there was breaks aswell. and i know there are some speed games coming but i dont have the time to spend a weekend doing ONLY PA and also the betas i may join... but tbh i want round 13

anyways back to the break. I think ticker stop for 2 days (48 hours from midday - midday(GMT)) would be good but stopping logins is not such a good idea imo.
fizzyxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2005, 23:17   #20
DJet
Wearer of The Hat

DJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the roughDJet is a jewel in the rough

It could been done to still fit in with the game...

"Due to a freak accient at a research base all space travel has been affected, universe authorities have decided to ground all ships for the next 48hours while the effects subside"

This would allow planets to stuff produce resources and research/constrution etc... while giving everyone some rest....
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 01:29   #21
Kal
Inactive peon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzyxl
why stop people loging in?
to stop covert-ops for a start and also to eman people don;t get 48 hours or whatever to find defence

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 18 Jan 2005, 03:57   #22
Orion Treet
Forever Noob

Orion Treet has a spectacular aura aboutOrion Treet has a spectacular aura about

Don't like the idea, PA is a 24/7 thing, it doesn't just stop, just like real world don't stop. Rest is good and all but it aint PA
<Zhil> I am HC
<Zhil> I gave myself permission
<[MO]Forest> i meant a proper hc, not a hc who would suicide into his MO's fleet

Played r4-9.5 r12-14 Now retired.
Proud to have been Cosmic Frostbite (r12 - 22:5 - #1 gal)
Forever [4D] - LCH, ND, Absolute, TFD, DLR
Might and greed will never outweigh honor and loyalty!
Orion Treet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 07:37   #23
Troglodyte

Troglodyte is an unknown quantity at this point

on the topic.... these sort of question's are best answered by a POLL. You either like the idea of a mid-round break or not
Troglodyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18 Jan 2005, 16:55   #24
Forest
Don't make me declare war

Forest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet societyForest is a pillar of this Internet society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
to stop covert-ops for a start and also to eman people don;t get 48 hours or whatever to find defence

If ticks are stopped, people wont be able to cov-op more than once or twice cause it wont be ticking to allow the % stuff to raise back up, so they will just get blocked.
Forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19 Jan 2005, 06:22   #25
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

demiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nicedemiGOD is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troglodyte
on the topic.... these sort of question's are best answered by a POLL. You either like the idea of a mid-round break or not
polls are gay i think

Unread 19 Jan 2005, 06:24   #26
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal
one thing we can do with the current code is to simply stop people form being able to login during the break - that would be an easy way to handle it
but i love staring at my history graph for hours at a time.. gives me a reason to just sit the **** down, think about what just happened in my life.. and besides, the colors calm my brain after a long day's work, really.. i think stopping the ticker would be better..

Unread 19 Jan 2005, 11:21   #27
Kal
Inactive peon

lol

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 19 Jan 2005, 12:19   #28
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

tbh I do kinda get bored when waiting around and just click through the graphs aswell but looking at the universe bit is so adictive looking at all the lil tit bits that are just there lil % signs Helps the hours go by when you waiting for next tick or for that elusive attack to fall through.
IRC is ok for passing time when peeps are online but otherwise Nothing to click through (part from spamming PA boards with ideas) makes me wanna play crap pa clones.

Written by Kloopy Wed Mar 16 22:06:43 2005

Retired just for a bit....

Proud to have been 1up, SiN, Wolfpack, Bluetuba and the leader of ARK.
noah02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Feb 2005, 19:01   #29
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I think people should be allowed to log in. Having 48hours to find def doesnt matter because most people wouldnt attack. It's a comman sense thing really.

If cov ops was disabled and Ticker stopped all would be fine :-)

Plus it would allow in gal comunication to go one for the less IRC active ones etc..

Sounds a funky idea to me. But only if the break went on for 48 hours - 72 at the extreem.

Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 02:15   #30
pig
1up on you

pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pig has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.

I very much like this idea.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 05:18   #31
Chika
Black Power MotherF*ckas!

Chika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to beholdChika is a splendid one to behold

It does make sense, but since when did the internet stop for preference.
Unread 7 Feb 2005, 21:26   #32
Jonas
Most unimportant guy...

Jonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond reputeJonas has a reputation beyond repute

No breaks fs.

There will always be someone that the breaks work perfect for, and others that they absolutely ruins alot for.

If you need a break, use vacation mode.

-Jonas-

Retired
Jonas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2005, 09:27   #33
barney
Ex-Visionary

barney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the roughbarney is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
No breaks fs.

There will always be someone that the breaks work perfect for, and others that they absolutely ruins alot for.

If you need a break, use vacation mode.

-Jonas-

i completely agree, whats the point in playing a 24/7 tick based game if you are gonna stop ticks. it seams rather pointless to engineer a few days break somewhere in the round, plus wherever you fit this break im sure there will be a thread arising fairly swiftly moaning about it . people can have a break whenever they want by using vacation mode (isn't that the point of this function?). introducing features like this, detracts from the commitment of some players (not me btw ). who arrange for nights out or whatever, to be covered by galm8's, a freind constantly scanning them, etc..

also i note how there are so many ppl complainig about the gap between rounds yet are at the same time they are trying to put a weekend off in the middle of the game ?
r11 NoS (16:9:10)
r12 VsN (22:2:1)
r13 VsN BC (10:10:10) - R.I.P.
r14 xVx Head BC (2:8:3)
barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Feb 2005, 11:04   #34
Kal
Inactive peon

the break would be announced at the same time as the start of the round etc sop everyone would have plenty of warning

Round 10.5 FAnG member
Round 11-15 PATeam
Round 17-30 PATeam
Round 31 ???

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 06:48   #35
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas
No breaks fs.
Yes breaks fs.

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 10:44   #36
arbondigo

arbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rougharbondigo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by demiGOD
Yes breaks fs.
nice argument

If you want a break then use vacation mode. Having breaks will just screw over people and will probably annoy people to the extent where they leave. Seeing some of your crap posts in these forums demigod i can see you saying having no breaks will force people to leave, but there haven't been breaks thus far and why should they start all of a sudden?
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 16:50   #37
Marv
Jazz Man

Marv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the roughMarv is a jewel in the rough

I think a break of 24-48hours would be good.

Allow people a good nights sleep and a mini rest

I am definatly up for this idea :-)

Marv

Ex ROCK HC & PA Team Head of Support.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:10   #38
noah02
The Original Terran

noah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond reputenoah02 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbondigo
nice argument

If you want a break then use vacation mode. Having breaks will just screw over people and will probably annoy people to the extent where they leave. Seeing some of your crap posts in these forums demigod i can see you saying having no breaks will force people to leave, but there haven't been breaks thus far and why should they start all of a sudden?
wtf will it make ppl leave? I dont see why ppl would leave just coz they got to have a break for a weekend?
Would you quit work coz you took the day off?
Not being funny but it really is a silly comment to say ppl would leave the game because they got to have a break specially since ppl leave the game mostly because it takes up to much of there life.

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:14   #39
noah02
The Original Terran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv
I think a break of 24-48hours would be good.

Allow people a good nights sleep and a mini rest

I am definatly up for this idea :-)

Marv

I agree and if ppl are really addicted to the game and cant handle the break then Spinner could fit in a speedgame for the weekend for all them ppl who can't help themselves

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:26   #40
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
i never said that having no breaks will force people to leave - in my opinion i think having 2 or 3 very small breaks while a round is going on is in many ways, a good thing - politically, strategically, socially, psychologically and physically - gives everybody a good opportunity with the ticker being stopped, to fine-tune and make quick plans and decisions alliance-wise, ingal-wise, and some to catch up with rl.. the ticker will stop but it definitely will not stop the game because of these factors -

now, just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it's unorthodox, maybe your ignorance is garnering a state of fear that people might leave the game, which stresses the point even more that maybe we should have mid-round breaks since nobody really knows the reaction of the community to this for it hasnt been done before - if you have a concrete argument why, as you so eloquently put it, "will probably annoy people to the extent where they leave" then please post accordingly..

also:
Quote:
A break every Friday and Saturday night would be good Will never happen though so more drunken fleet suicides for me
you shouldn't be switching sides to your arguments, it affects your credibility

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:29   #41
arbondigo

And you shouldn't quote stuff from threads over a few months old. The fact that i was being sarcastic in that comment too doesn't really help you. Just goes to show that people have a social life and still manage to play the game without needing to have a break
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:31   #42
arbondigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah02
wtf will it make ppl leave? I dont see why ppl would leave just coz they got to have a break for a weekend?
Would you quit work coz you took the day off?
Not being funny but it really is a silly comment to say ppl would leave the game because they got to have a break specially since ppl leave the game mostly because it takes up to much of there life.
I think you'll find the more dedicated players will leave or lose interest if a break was to happen mid round. You don't need breaks to have a social life, and if you do then you need to get a life in the first place.

Yes people leave because it takes up too much of their life, that won't change if breaks were to happen either. If you want a break then you should use the vacation mode function which is already built into the game, after all that's what it's there for.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:32   #43
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

its the same thread you buffoon

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:44   #44
arbondigo

Quote:
i never said that having no breaks will force people to leave - in my opinion i think having 2 or 3 very small breaks while a round is going on is in many ways, a good thing - politically, strategically, socially, psychologically and physically - gives everybody a good opportunity with the ticker being stopped, to fine-tune and make quick plans and decisions alliance-wise, ingal-wise, and some to catch up with rl.. the ticker will stop but it definitely will not stop the game because of these factors
Having 2 or 3 small breaks isn't good. You could be in the middle of an alliance war, oh we've got a break coming up, oh look this war's nowhere near as exciting now as it was before this break. You have enough time during the day (game time) to sort out politics and strategy and to talk with fellow hc. You say that by having a break people will gain a social life effectively, so how are they going to politically alter things and strategically too? You don't have to be on 24/7 to do well at this game, this is the point that most people seem to overlook. Say you're at school, go to bed at 11, 12 and wake up at say 7 - you have a whole gal to watch your back whilst you're asleep. Some people play much more seriously than others and you're bound to have a couple of people in your gal who are up most of the night, if not then you've ended up in a sucky gal.

Quote:
now, just because something hasn't been done before doesn't mean it's unorthodox, maybe your ignorance is garnering a state of fear that people might leave the game, which stresses the point even more that maybe we should have mid-round breaks since nobody really knows the reaction of the community to this for it hasnt been done before
My ignorance heh, that's quite rich coming from you, but back to the matter in hand. I think it's fair to say that having a break, or several as you seem to want, would annoy more people that it would please. At the end of the day the round is what, around about 2-3months long. You work from your other posts you've posted, so you're going to be up every morning early anyway, how will a break effect you? You HAVE to get up early for work, so you can check on your planet before you go, whilst at work. You also appear to be on the forums quite late at night, so where's your problem exactly? You'd be doing it with or without a break. At the end of the day, if you're putting a game before real life then you need to sort out your priorities and take a look at yourself.

Quote:
- if you have a concrete argument why, as you so eloquently put it, "will probably annoy people to the extent where they leave" then please post accordingly..
That argument of mine was much better than your one of earlier
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 17:45   #45
arbondigo

Quote:
its the same thread you buffoon
Yep, from a month ago. Was a sarcastic post as said before and so much so that i even forgot i posted it.
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 18:19   #46
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
Having 2 or 3 small breaks isn't good. You could be in the middle of an alliance war, oh we've got a break coming up, oh look this war's nowhere near as exciting now as it was before this break. You have enough time during the day (game time) to sort out politics and strategy and to talk with fellow hc. You say that by having a break people will gain a social life effectively, so how are they going to politically alter things and strategically too? You don't have to be on 24/7 to do well at this game, this is the point that most people seem to overlook. Say you're at school, go to bed at 11, 12 and wake up at say 7 - you have a whole gal to watch your back whilst you're asleep. Some people play much more seriously than others and you're bound to have a couple of people in your gal who are up most of the night, if not then you've ended up in a sucky gal.
having small breaks during inter-alliance wars will not dampen the personal nature of such battles specially when breaks occur during some 40 or 50 fleets attacking and defending each other because when the ticker starts again, those hostiles and friendlies will still land because such battles are mostly motivated by the simple goal of roiding and outscoring, even a more personal nature of alliance battles will definitely not be dampened by these breaks in my opinion - socially is just a small advantage of these breaks, lots of factors (like i said on previous post) can be utilized, and yes youre right, lots of time to sort out politics and strategy.. its about having more time is the key to this suggestion

Quote:
My ignorance heh, that's quite rich coming from you, but back to the matter in hand. I think it's fair to say that having a break, or several as you seem to want, would annoy more people that it would please. At the end of the day the round is what, around about 2-3months long. You work from your other posts you've posted, so you're going to be up every morning early anyway, how will a break effect you? You HAVE to get up early for work, so you can check on your planet before you go, whilst at work. You also appear to be on the forums quite late at night, so where's your problem exactly? You'd be doing it with or without a break. At the end of the day, if you're putting a game before real life then you need to sort out your priorities and take a look at yourself.
YES, ignorance, coming from the base of its definition, ignorance implying not knowing what's gonna happen if these breaks occur because it hasnt been done before - as far as scheduling my time, yes, its very scheduled efficiently, but will most definitely help with these breaks

Quote:
That argument of mine was much better than your one of earlier
thats because the side of my argument was already voiced out by my earlier posts on this thread

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 18:32   #47
arbondigo

Quote:
having small breaks during inter-alliance wars will not dampen the personal nature of such battles specially when breaks occur during some 40 or 50 fleets attacking and defending each other because when the ticker starts again, those hostiles and friendlies will still land because such battles are mostly motivated by the simple goal of roiding and outscoring, even a more personal nature of alliance battles will definitely not be dampened by these breaks in my opinion
The breaks will dampen down wars. Why should fleets be left stranded in mid-air if such breaks were to occur? It gives people time to work out what they're going to do if they're under attack, why should they be allowed more time than anyone else to organise defence if there's still time? Why should they be allowed more time to think about how they're going to rebuild than others who have been hit beforehand? Mid-round breaks aren't needed, if you want a break then go into vacation mode, or just don't play your account for a few days and rely on your gal and alliance to defend you. At the end of the day, i think more people will leave the game if breaks were to be introduced than if the game stayed as it is without breaks.

Quote:
- socially is just a small advantage of these breaks, lots of factors (like i said on previous post) can be utilized, and yes youre right, lots of time to sort out politics and strategy.. its about having more time is the key to this suggestion
In your previous post you mentioned nothing about social aspects. But you briefly touched it in another post. You say that it will increase your social life. No. It won't increase your social life because there's a good chance that if you need a break then you probably don't have a social life to begin with as you're playing this game too much. People go out with their friends etc regardless of whether PA is running or not, at least the vast majority do. Using an increase in social lives as a reason for a break isn't really a valid reason.

Quote:
YES, ignorance, coming from the base of its definition, ignorance implying not knowing what's gonna happen if these breaks occur because it hasnt been done before - as far as scheduling my time, yes, its very scheduled efficiently, but will most definitely help with these breaks
Please tell me how these breaks are going to help improve your schedule? You'll still wake up at the same time regardless of whether PA is running or not. At the end of the day you HAVE to work to get an income and live a life.

Quote:
thats because the side of my argument was already voiced out by my earlier posts on this thread
Must be invisible then
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 21:08   #48
exblade
that one dude

exblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura aboutexblade has a spectacular aura about

i think a mid round break would be a good idea yet at the sme time a bad idea
yes we need sleep lol and time off without getting bashed
but what about all the n00bs that forget?
give alliances extra time to plan for mass murder
extra time for def, attack planning
can u sign up during the week?
ROCK - DC [ROCK]
The Galactic Vikings - DC [TGV]
Vengeance - DC [VGN]
CareBears - DC [CB]

Rounds 9.5,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,19,26,27,28,38
exblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 9 Feb 2005, 21:58   #49
demiGOD
the Sacred Pervert

Quote:
stuff..
short breaks of a day or 2, twice or maybe 3 times per round.. wont dampen any wars for the breaks are so short - and politically, alliances will not allow any dampening because it will benefit them as a whole so no matter what happens, the motivation of outroiding and outscoring another alliance will still be there, .. breaks also will give you those days when you can sleep in, and not worry about waking up at eta 2 to jpg your target and check if he's getting any defense - yes we dont need these breaks, but it will just help a lot, specially small alliances and new players

Unread 9 Feb 2005, 22:24   #50
arbondigo

Quote:
short breaks of a day or 2, twice or maybe 3 times per round.. wont dampen any wars for the breaks are so short - and politically, alliances will not allow any dampening because it will benefit them as a whole so no matter what happens, the motivation of outroiding and outscoring another alliance will still be there,
No. You take a break you begin to lose all motivation from the war. It will benefit the losing side only as they get a chance to regroup whereas the winning side will get bored not being able to play.

Quote:
.. breaks also will give you those days when you can sleep in, and not worry about waking up at eta 2 to jpg your target and check if he's getting any defense - yes we dont need these breaks, but it will just help a lot, specially small alliances and new players
Spot on, we don't need these breaks.