User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 10 Mar 2003, 00:28   #1
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Ice Skating - What I've always wanted to know.

How do you stop on ice skates? Without crashing into the sides of the rink or falling down, that is.
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 00:29   #2
Philip246

by not pushing forward and coasting round until you stop
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 13:16   #3
Kegluneq

Kegluneq is an unknown quantity at this point
Attempting that has flattened my nose on ice and tarmac. Coasting - or not leaving the side - is your best bet...
Kegluneq is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 13:22   #4
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Turn your skates so they're at right angles to your direction of motion.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 14:14   #5
Apothos
Not Dark or Handsome
Treasure Diver Champion, Alien Commander Champion, Magic Ball Champion

Apothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so littleApothos contributes so much and asks for so little
Turn both your feet inwards so your blades are in a / \ sort of pattern.
Or 'flick' yourself around on your inner skate while using the outer one to keep your balance.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 14:43   #6
JC
lolly roffle

JC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himJC is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
T stop is the easiest way. Put your right foot directly behind your left foot and perpendicular to it, you will grind to a halt.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 14:54   #7
Aûle

You shall never go skating without a spear...Once you shall stop, stick the spear into the ground before you, and try to hold on...
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 14:57   #8
Aûle

Perhaps you could just walk around in circles till you stop
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 15:29   #9
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
lol this thread is really amusing...
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 15:35   #10
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
To stop you need a unit called an anchor. You have to throw it away from you in the opposite direction of the way you are heading.

It works excellently.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:04   #11
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by xtrasyn
To stop you need a unit called an anchor. You have to throw it away from you in the opposite direction of the way you are heading.
no actually that would make u go faster.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:08   #12
xtrasyn
Lonely analytic

xtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud ofxtrasyn has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
no actually that would make u go faster.
Only slightly and not for long.
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:27   #13
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
yes but really fast. you spray lots of 'snow' at either the boards or another person. this is also called a 'hockey stop'

faster and easier than a t-stop i think :P
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 16:55   #14
djbass
mmm.. pills

djbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond reputedjbass has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally posted by Supernova9
that method has always resulted in a very sore butt, a few bruises and lots of those really irritating ice splinters.

=[DJ Bass]=
Unread 10 Mar 2003, 17:16   #15
Cicada
p a r r a c i d a

Cicada is an unknown quantity at this point
just kinda move both your skates side ways and stop on the edge. Just make sure you lean back or you'll lose you balance and go flying somewhere...
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 03:11   #16
Mirai
Child Eating Zombie Clown

Mirai is on a distinguished road
same way you stop on skis.

Die You Bitch Minister of Insanity - "Timete Nostrum Piscem Furoris"

My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever, we begin bombing in 5 minutes - President Ronald Reagan, in a radio check where he did not realize the microphone was on and the station broadcasting
Mirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 03:43   #17
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally posted by Mirai
same way you stop on skis.
A TREE!?!?!
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 03:52   #18
Monkeypimp
Banned

Monkeypimp is an unknown quantity at this point
I've only ice skated once and that was on blunt skates, so ballance was more of a problem for me then. On inline skates though, I tend to T stop if I can or Hockey stop if I have to stop quickly. Doing hockey stops on inline skates carves thru your back wheel tho
Monkeypimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 06:34   #19
Judge
Doh!

Judge is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
A TREE!?!?!
Not many trees on an ice-rink?
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 06:34   #20
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
A TREE!?!?!
JC, a tree!
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 09:33   #21
Rinoa
Reject False Icons

Rinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to beholdRinoa is a splendid one to behold
If u were doing it right u shouldnt have left contact with the side barrier to begin with...
Wolfpack - Dc
xVx - DC
Apprime -_-
Rinoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 13:59   #22
Dakeyras

In theroy a hockey stop. in practise - those horrible skates you rent at the rink have very solid plastic front bits, so just fly into the wall, and lean back a bit as you hit it so the skates take most of the impact. Believe me, it is alot less painful than learning to hockey stop, as I tried to learn how, covered myself in bruises, and was none the wiser. Maybe I am a bit dim tho...

EDIT - I forgot the other great way - hit someone else, and try to land on em. It is comletely painless if you do it right
Unread 11 Mar 2003, 14:03   #23
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
1. Look for a rather fit girl on the ice
2. Head in her general direction
3. Try not to make it (too) painful
4. Profit
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 01:58   #24
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
There's always my friends prefered method:

Aim at the side barrier, accelerate. Hopefully hitting sombody else on the way over.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12 Mar 2003, 11:34   #25
seventh
Lai

seventh is an unknown quantity at this point
find fit women
hockey stop spraying her with ice
cut her up repeatedly

generally be a thirteen year old boy who can ice skate and get erections.

OR

t-stop/learn to hockey stop

hockey stops only really work on hockey skates cos the rent-a-skates you get ****ing suck
[18:02]<DJ_Bass>When i was just a knee basher i ran outside with a coat hanger above my head thinking it would repel lightning

[18:03]<Ashknight>If it hit you, now that would explain a LOT
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Follow the guy in front
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
<[7th]Seventh> liseh?
<Bloomers> hmmm
<Bloomers> he's okay
<Bloomers> you are fitter tho
seventh is offline   Reply With Quote