User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Non Planetarion Discussions > General Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:56   #1
Nixjim
Commander

Nixjim is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Harry Potter 5 coming Jun 21

LONDON (AP) - More Muggles mania is expected after J.K. Rowling's publishers announced that her fifth book about wide-eyed junior wizard Harry Potter will be published in Britain, the United States and several other countries on June 21.

Much anticipated, and somewhat delayed, "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" is 768 pages long, and by word count one-third longer than its predecessor, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire," published in 2000.

That's just about all that was revealed in a joint statement Wednesday from Britain's Bloomsbury Publishers and Scholastic Children's Books in the United States. Details of Harry's latest adventure remain as secret as the whereabouts of Diagon Alley, where Harry famously buys his wizard supplies.

But young fans were delighted.

"I am so excited -- it has been much too long since the last one," said 10-year-old Phillip Weekes, who heard the news as he came out of his primary school near Bishop's Stortford, 30 miles north of London. "I'll buy it as soon as it comes out."

"Cool," said his friend, Alexandra Ball, 11. "I am dying to know what's in it."

The plot remains a mystery, but the publisher did reveal how the book begins: "The hottest day of the summer so far was drawing to a close and a drowsy silence lay over the large, square houses of Privet Drive. ...The only person left outside was a teenage boy who was lying flat on his back in a flowerbed outside number four."

And youngsters will have a few months to ponder what Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore means when he tells Harry, some pages on, "It is time ... for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything."'

Rowling's books have served as rebuttals to those who predict the death of reading. Kids anticipate a new Potter the way teenagers once hurried out to buy Beatles records.

Fans have pestered book sellers and obsessed on Web sites about the next installment. Hunger for news about Potter V drove an American collector to pay more than $45,000 last month for a card full of clues about the plot that contained 93 words, including "Ron," "broom" and "sacked."

Kids aren't alone in celebrating Wednesday's news. Publishers, too, are elated. The industry endured its slowest holiday season in years, with many complaining about the lack of a "must-have" book to get shoppers in stores. Few books are more "must-have" than a Harry Potter story.

"It's an emotional lift, something to drive business and put books back in the news," said Carl Lennertz, publisher and program director of BookSense, a national marketing campaign for indepedent bookstores in the United States.

Some fans may have to squint through the "Order of Phoenix." One reason for all those pages is that publishers have used a smaller type. "The last book was pretty chunky, and we wanted to prevent this one being too big," said Bloomsbury spokeswoman Rosamund de la Hey.

When the book failed to make it into print last year, as expected, there was speculation that Rowling -- now one of Britain's richest women -- was suffering from writer's block. She denied it, but the book has taken far longer to complete than its predecessors, published every year from 1997.

With readers eager to hear about Harry's meetings with monsters and Muggles (non-magic people), and his fast-moving games of quidditch (a sort of aerial hockey played on flying broomsticks), booksellers now anticipate another bonanza. After all, fans stood in line at bookstores to be first to buy previous volumes.

"With the amount of interest and excitement surrounding Harry Potter, we expect the interest in advance reservations to be enormous," said Lesley Miles of book chain Waterstone's. "We know Harry's fans can't wait to get a copy of the new volume." In Britain, it is possible to reserve books in advance.

Rowling's four published titles have sold an estimated 192 million copies worldwide in hard and soft cover, and the books have been published in at least 55 languages and distributed in more than 200 countries. The first two books have been adapted into hit movies.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)
Nixjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 02:59   #2
Sandsnake
Snake of the Sand

Sandsnake will become famous soon enoughSandsnake will become famous soon enough
I work in part-time in a bookstore, and this announcement breaks my heart. It was so great seeing the disappointment in people's eyes when we told them we didn't know when it was coming out..

Now I'll either have to lie or tell them "only in hte uk. we have to wait 4 months."

of course, thta last bit is still lying, but hey, it's slightly different from "we have no idea"
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 03:02   #3
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandsnake
I work in part-time in a bookstore, and this announcement breaks my heart. It was so great seeing the disappointment in people's eyes when we told them we didn't know when it was coming out..

Now I'll either have to lie or tell them "only in hte uk. we have to wait 4 months."

of course, thta last bit is still lying, but hey, it's slightly different from "we have no idea"

Is it fun being evil?

I've always wondered.
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 03:39   #4
Nofutcha
Airvatar

Nofutcha will become famous soon enoughNofutcha will become famous soon enough
thats on assload of txt you have produced.

Shame its about something so trivial.

#phnx
Nofutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 04:17   #5
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Nofutcha
thats on assload of txt you have produced.

Shame its about something so trivial.

The miracle of cut and paste.

And Trivial posts seem to do better than serious posts on GD
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:37   #6
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
fookin eh

i wish they didnt get carried away with those ****ting films. this book should have came out last year. this summer should be book 6 for **** sake

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:43   #7
Zither
Alcoholic

Zither is an unknown quantity at this point
I am, disturbingly, a fan of the books, and will buy it as soon as i can get it.

<Ahriman> i didn't know they were shemales until i f*cked them...

If you can't win an argument without using insults you have lost the argument already
Zither is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:45   #8
Starbucks
It was a Stupid Dream

Starbucks is on a distinguished road
becky talked about this today

i was ready to slit my wrists

it was a case of "SERIOUSLY, I LOVE YOU, BUT I DONT CARE!"
Starbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:51   #9
Helveticus
finnish pokèmon

Helveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the roughHelveticus is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Nixjim
Is it fun being evil?

I've always wondered.
Yes.

And I intend to avoid the book.

Quote:
Originally posted by JonnyBGood
We enjoy sucking the fun out of the boards. It's a competition.
Helveticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:53   #10
Leshy
Mr. Blobby

Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Leshy has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I saw the second movie. It wasn't too bad
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 21:55   #11
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Leshy
I saw the second movie
HAHAHAHAHAHA,

HAHAHA

OH MERCY

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA, HAHA, Ha

Yours Faithfully,
Pablissimo
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 22:01   #12
Asper

I can't stfu-ing believe it was on the news here...On the news...frigging...they must have nothing else to report here gah!
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 22:03   #13
pablissimo
Henry Kelly

pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.pablissimo has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
Originally posted by Asper
I can't stfu-ing believe it was on the news here...On the news...frigging...they must have nothing else to report here gah!
You don't happen to live in Scotland do you? They actually, actually had 'a bloke who owns a dalek' on their national news as opposed to 'something which mattered'
pablissimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Jan 2003, 22:38   #14
Deffeh
Angry Young Man

Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Deffeh has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
indeed pab. In scotland, normally every item is a cat up the tree story. it might as well be a goss mag, rather than a news broadcast. This country is boring, and ****, and a total dead end. If i am to not end up like my family, i have to become only the 4th descendant ever to leave this country for good.

Believe in me, cause i don't believe in anything
And i wanna be someone, to believe, to believe in
Deffeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 00:09   #15
gdncnqdf
One of the Originals

gdncnqdf is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by Zither
I am, disturbingly, a fan of the books, and will buy it as soon as i can get it.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:41   #16
MeridianStar
Para Keet

MeridianStar is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Deffeh
fookin eh

i wish they didnt get carried away with those ****ting films. this book should have came out last year. this summer should be book 6 for **** sake
Oh and remember that Ms. Rowling is pregnant, so it's going to be another good couple of years before the next one as she'll have a little one to look after. Mwahaahaha.
[23:46] <Theamion> i still love you tho
[23:47] <Theamion> you mad scottish bint
MeridianStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:45   #17
Aryn
Happy

Aryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond reputeAryn has a reputation beyond repute
wonder if she'll name her kid after hte characters in the book
lol

anywyas.. i've avoided the whole 'harry potter' thing.. never seen the movies.. never read the books. my sister has a few books and has seen the first movie.. but she doesn't sound to enthusiastic about it.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:55   #18
Nixjim
Commander

People tell me I would be a great Hagrid.
I just tell them I can't fake a British accent, but after reading the stories finally this fall, I can see what they meant.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 01:59   #19
Dace

The Harry Potter books and films are Gay.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 02:10   #20
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
Originally posted by Dace
The Harry Potter books and films are Gay.

Gay

\Gay\, a. [Compar. Gayer; superl. Gayest.] [F. gai, perhaps fr. OHG. g?hi swift, rapid, G. g["a]h, j["a]h, steep, hasty; or cf. OHG. w?hi beatiful, good. Cf. Jay.] 1. Excited with merriment; manifesting sportiveness or delight; inspiring delight; livery; merry.

Yes, they are pretty good at that.

Rowlings is a very talented writer with a great imagination.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 02:12   #21
Dace

A third meaning to the word "Gay" has been developed.

According to this new meaning it is a bad thing to be described as "Gay".

You stupid person you.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 02:27   #22
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
A third meaning to the word "Gay" has been developed.

According to this new meaning it is a bad thing to be described as "Gay".

You stupid person you.

I'm starting a move to reclaim the wonderful word "GAY " from those who have perverted its historic and true meaning.

Thus I refuse to accept your new meaning as the one you intended.

I'm so
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 02:36   #23
Dace

Quote:
I'm so :cool:

And by :cool: you mean Gay yeah?!
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 04:34   #24
Xillah

Xillah is an unknown quantity at this point
The talking 'wizzad' had pissed me off, Discworld did that in 1988.
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 04:39   #25
Nixjim
Commander

Quote:
And by you mean Gay yeah?!

Jealous muggle?
If by Gay you mean , and are using the definition above, then yea.

Unread 17 Jan 2003, 04:39   #26
MrL_JaKiri
The Twilight of the Gods

MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.MrL_JaKiri has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
Quote:
\Gay\, a. [Compar. Gayer; superl. Gayest.] [F. gai, perhaps fr. OHG. g?hi swift, rapid, G. g["a]h, j["a]h, steep, hasty; or cf. OHG. w?hi beatiful, good. Cf. Jay.] 1. Excited with merriment; manifesting sportiveness or delight; inspiring delight; livery; merry.
1. a. Of persons, their attributes and actions: Full of or disposed to joy and mirth; manifesting or characterized by joyous mirth; light-hearted, exuberantly cheerful, sportive, merry.
b. Of a horse: Lively, prancing. [So in Fr.] rare1.
c. With implied sense of depreciation: Airy, off-hand.
d. In poetry: Applied to women, as a conventional epithet of praise. Obs. (Cf. FREE a. 3.)
e. the gay science: a rendering of gai saber, the Provençal name for the art of poetry,
f. Forward, impertinent, too free in conduct, over-familiar; usu. in phr. to get gay. U.S. slang
g. Of a dog's tail: carried high or erect.
2. a. Addicted to social pleasures and dissipations. Often euphemistically: Of loose or immoral life. Esp. in gay dog, a man given to revelling or self-indulgence; gay Lothario: see LOTHARIO.
b. Hence, in slang use, of a woman: Leading an immoral life, living by prostitution
c. Of a person: homosexual. Of a place: frequented by homosexuals. slang
3. Bright or lively-looking, esp. in colour; brilliant, showy.
4. Finely or showily dressed. Now rare
5. In immaterial sense: Brilliant, attractive, charming. Formerly also of reasonings, etc.: Specious, plausible
6.a. Brilliantly good; excellent, fine. Obs
b. ironically. Obs.
c. to have a gay mind: ‘to have a good mind’, to be very much inclined
7. Of quantity or amount. Pretty good, ‘tolerable’, ‘middling’. Sc. and north. Also GEY
8. dial. In good health; well, convalescent.
9. Comb., chiefly parasynthetic, as gay-coloured, -flowered, -hearted, -humoured, -looking, -seeming adjs.; gay cat U.S. slang, a young or inexperienced tramp; a hobo who accepts occasional work; (see also sense 2c); gay deceiver, (a) a deceitful rake (RAKE n.5); (b) pl. slang = FALSIES n. pl.; gay-feather U.S., the name of a plant (see quot.); Gay Gordons, (a) (see quot. 1925); (b) a Scottish dance popular in old-time and modern dancing; Gay Liberation (Front) orig. U.S., (a movement for) the liberation of homosexuals from social stigma and discrimination; also with lower-case initials, and abbrev. as Gay Lib (see LIB).

B. adv.

1. a. Brightly, showily = GAILY 1. b. In a gay mood, joyously = GAILY 2. Obs
2. Very. Also in weaker sense: Considerably, ‘pretty’. Frequent in dial. a gay few = a good few: see FEW 2d. Often written GEY.
3. Comb. Chiefly with pres. and pa. pples., as gay-beseen (see BESEE II), -careering, -chirping, -motleyed, -painted, -shifting, -smiling, -spent, -spotted, -throned

C. n. [the adj. used absol.]

1. A gay lady. Also, rarely of a man, a ‘gallant’. Obs.
2. a. Anything that looks gay or showy; an ornament; esp. one that is used to amuse a child. Now dial.
b. fig. A ‘toy’, childish amusement. Obs
3. A picture in a book. Now dial. (chiefly used by children).
4. slang (orig. U.S.). A homosexual, esp. a male homosexual. Cf. A 2c above
MrL_JaKiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Jan 2003, 20:32   #27
Asper

Quote:
Originally posted by MrL_JaKiri
1. a. Of persons, their attributes and actions: Full of or disposed to joy and mirth; manifesting or characterized by joyous mirth; light-hearted, exuberantly cheerful, sportive, merry.
b. Of a horse: Lively, prancing. [So in Fr.] rare1.
c. With implied sense of depreciation: Airy, off-hand.
d. In poetry: Applied to women, as a conventional epithet of praise. Obs. (Cf. FREE a. 3.)
e. the gay science: a rendering of gai saber, the Provençal name for the art of poetry,
f. Forward, impertinent, too free in conduct, over-familiar; usu. in phr. to get gay. U.S. slang
g. Of a dog's tail: carried high or erect.
2. a. Addicted to social pleasures and dissipations. Often euphemistically: Of loose or immoral life. Esp. in gay dog, a man given to revelling or self-indulgence; gay Lothario: see LOTHARIO.
b. Hence, in slang use, of a woman: Leading an immoral life, living by prostitution
c. Of a person: homosexual. Of a place: frequented by homosexuals. slang
3. Bright or lively-looking, esp. in colour; brilliant, showy.
4. Finely or showily dressed. Now rare
5. In immaterial sense: Brilliant, attractive, charming. Formerly also of reasonings, etc.: Specious, plausible
6.a. Brilliantly good; excellent, fine. Obs
b. ironically. Obs.
c. to have a gay mind: ‘to have a good mind’, to be very much inclined
7. Of quantity or amount. Pretty good, ‘tolerable’, ‘middling’. Sc. and north. Also GEY
8. dial. In good health; well, convalescent.
9. Comb., chiefly parasynthetic, as gay-coloured, -flowered, -hearted, -humoured, -looking, -seeming adjs.; gay cat U.S. slang, a young or inexperienced tramp; a hobo who accepts occasional work; (see also sense 2c); gay deceiver, (a) a deceitful rake (RAKE n.5); (b) pl. slang = FALSIES n. pl.; gay-feather U.S., the name of a plant (see quot.); Gay Gordons, (a) (see quot. 1925); (b) a Scottish dance popular in old-time and modern dancing; Gay Liberation (Front) orig. U.S., (a movement for) the liberation of homosexuals from social stigma and discrimination; also with lower-case initials, and abbrev. as Gay Lib (see LIB).

B. adv.

1. a. Brightly, showily = GAILY 1. b. In a gay mood, joyously = GAILY 2. Obs
2. Very. Also in weaker sense: Considerably, ‘pretty’. Frequent in dial. a gay few = a good few: see FEW 2d. Often written GEY.
3. Comb. Chiefly with pres. and pa. pples., as gay-beseen (see BESEE II), -careering, -chirping, -motleyed, -painted, -shifting, -smiling, -spent, -spotted, -throned

C. n. [the adj. used absol.]

1. A gay lady. Also, rarely of a man, a ‘gallant’. Obs.
2. a. Anything that looks gay or showy; an ornament; esp. one that is used to amuse a child. Now dial.
b. fig. A ‘toy’, childish amusement. Obs
3. A picture in a book. Now dial. (chiefly used by children).
4. slang (orig. U.S.). A homosexual, esp. a male homosexual. Cf. A 2c above

I'm not reading /\ All that

And I'm from the Netherlands. Used to hang out frequently on these boards, then I found a life...or maybe it found me :/
Saw someone was busy with the erasing-gum, since both of nicks were deleted heh.