User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions

Unread 16 Mar 2003, 14:45   #1
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Random really does solve everything

Including farming.

It's extremely difficult to have a successful attack at this stage of the game, considering that the planets worth attacking can build enough ships to stop/kill your pods, plus defence from parallels and cluster channels (which work better at this stage in the game then any other) plus other defence. Given the fact that there arn't many complete newbies in the game still, so most people have some friends to help them with defence. So how do these guys get such successfull attacks at the moment?

Well it's obviously farming. Sure you may get lucky scanning and be on say 120 roids atm? But to have 2 or 3 attacks successful as well as that? Some people have 60 - 80 roids more? Not likely to happen.

Firstly, you farmers are sad people, but it's your decision, if you get caught then you deserve it, if not then you're lucky and your risk paid off. I didn't start this post to say how utterly crap farming is. Can anyone remember massive farming last round? I certainly can't. Random galaxies. Galaxy mates will defend planets in their galaxy, so farming just doesn't happen. Last round a small amount probably happened but even then it was 1 tick, overburn. Which is hardly much and burns lots of important E.

So, random is not only the answer to every other problem PA has, but also farming, which a lot of people knew already, but now we have a quite obvious example.

I don't remember ever hearing whether the creators decided on whether next round be private or random, but if they even consider private again they must be fools. All you people who bitch "I won't play random ever again", then go. Because random in round 10 will encourage a thousand times the amount of new players to stay, than it will encourage old players to leave.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Funny Film Reviews :: SWOS
Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 14:54   #2
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_Mage
I've been saying that since the first private round!
So have I.
"And when people tell me what is ok and what is not it should not be an unexpected scene seeing I extend my middle right hand digit and say: 'Eyy, would you like lemon or lime with that piece of advice, mister?'"

Unread 16 Mar 2003, 14:59   #3
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
I meself enjoyed last round very much(best round so far), and having random gals contributed greatly to that.

Unfortunately random gals can b quite 'unfair' aswell landing 'good'-'active' players in mildly speaking CRAP gals.

I also agree that i think farming was almost non exsistent last round, and last round was also the most even round(allaince wise) weve had for some time.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:01   #4
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
you're right except it's perfectly possible to have 150 roids atm without farming NOR attacking.
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:02   #5
Dante Hicks
Clerk

Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.Dante Hicks has ascended to a higher existance and no longer needs rep points to prove the size of his e-penis.
I suspect the creators might try and go for some sort of mix in R10. Random galaxies, but then some kind of battlegroup (of 15 people say) which gives ETA -2 to defend anyone in your group. That way you meet new players (and pretty much have to co-operate with them) but you're not screwed if you end up in a barren wasteland of a galaxy.

Also might keep the "I want to play with my friends" crew happy.
Dante Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:03   #6
mens
Sheep

mens is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by isildurx
I also agree that i think farming was almost non exsistent last round
ALOT of peeps were OB farming last round tho...
but random without OB would've been nice.

(not that I don't like priv gals at all)
mens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:09   #7
Kalle
still Ensign??

Kalle is an unknown quantity at this point
i´d like to stay with priv gals. but the creators should really do something against farming.
should be possible to find a solution.
Kalle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:39   #8
wakey
Hamster

wakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himwakey is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Randoms do solve most problems but last round did highlight a major problem with randoms. When you have such a small playerbase that shrinks over time as opposed to growing and with powerblocking happening it means that there are very few targets so those in unaligned gaalxies get hit fairly badly.

In many ways i'm glad r9 was private although if Jolt/Sim Tech produce a game thats differnt for r10 like promised and the put enough money behind it to really market the game so the playerbase rises then I would be all in favour of randoms again
The Farnborough Crew
Cos anything else is just an alliance
Join our public channel at #f-crew
wakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 15:52   #9
Supernova9
m u p p e t

Supernova9 is infamous around these parts
Quote:
Originally posted by mens
ALOT of peeps were OB farming last round tho...
but random without OB would've been nice.

(not that I don't like priv gals at all)
OB farming automatically cut the number of roids gained per trip to a third. Given time restrictions due to limited fleet slots, random gals etc. may not have solved the problem, but they did a great deal to stop it.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 16:56   #10
Petru
mefs

Petru is an unknown quantity at this point
You can't remove farming.

What would the game be like without Dreadnought?

Username: HobbieRogue4
Password: ****petru

I was 'angry' a lot back then. :/
Petru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 17:07   #11
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Random really does solve everything

Quote:
Originally posted by Scouse
Including farming.

Well it's obviously farming. Sure you may get lucky scanning and be on say 120 roids atm? But to have 2 or 3 attacks successful as well as that? Some people have 60 - 80 roids more? Not likely to happen.

Do you actually have prove, or are you guessing? I am one of the planets in the top100 and I am in the range you describe, 140+ roids lets say, and I have been trying to catch up to the leaders. I have had 2 attacks, 1st attack I got 18 roids, 2nd attack I got 21 roids. So its possible to get 60-80 roids if they have done 3-4 attacks. However in order to accomplish that they will have to had very good luck scanning in order to get ahead in roids which translate into more ships which means they can take multiple targets or force their way throught a planet.

However if you suggest that some top plantes are farming once again they I am dissapointed once again . As you stated r8 hardly had any farming and it was less publizied, but if your info/guess is correct then it sucks. Here I am trying to get up there legimatly while others take short cuts.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 17:40   #12
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Also, I'm not a mathematician, but what do you think the chances are of any given galaxy having 2 planets in the top 10 early on in the game where the margins are EXTREMELY small.

First of all, scanning is not an option, people who are top 10 now have had a lot of luck in scanning and attacking. Further more, if you say 'well they had a good raid'. Then I find it quite amusing, because if so they would have to attack either with 3 fleets on three smallish targets or with 1 big fleet + scout to big target. The three fleet option is basically out, nobody has enough fleet right now to attack 3 targets, risk not scouting, and get 90+ roids.
Then one or two targets, 'might' have been possible, but again I can see how 1-2 planets in a galaxy with a lot of roids could have been roided by someone, but for 2 planets in the same gal on the same attack to get such an amount of roids the galaxy in question would have to be a top 30 gal at least. And top 30 gals do NOT get roided that easely. Also, the last example wouldnt work probably because any given planet would not have enough fleet unless they got gal support, which means the rest of the galaxy didn't get roids which would not happen because you'd to severly hamper the development of your galaxy plus all the peopel suspected of farming right now are in a galaxy that have plenty of roids.

Therefore the conclusion is simple, people are farming, last night 2 galaxies had 2 people in the top 10 and each had another in the top 20. The odds of this are about the same of any of you getting layed tonight.
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 17:51   #13
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
~
Chirst sake Parra, you typed all that to say "people are farming" ....
Duh, of course people are farming ... it's PA people will always farm.
Not all of the top players are farming (there 'might' be one fluke guy up there )
People will farm, you don't need 'proof' to say it.
Just remember, Cluster Attack + Parallel attack = death for ANY gal.
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 17:53   #14
The_Fish
ND

The_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to allThe_Fish is a name known to all
my gal mate has had 5 attacks so far, must have capped around 60 roids, all on different targets, although he had **** scan luck, but it is possible to cap many roids.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 18:55   #15
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by The_Fish
my gal mate has had 5 attacks so far, must have capped around 60 roids, all on different targets, although he had **** scan luck, but it is possible to cap many roids.
So what makes that the guy who capped 89 roids yesterday.
Thats a maximum of 3 attacks in one day and he still capped more.

And Psi, I know
But I just thought I'd point out how utterly ridiculous it is from a logical point of view.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 19:26   #16
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
There was plenty of farming last round. THere is of course startup farming in this round. Assuming some level of rule enforcement is should peter out when newsies appear. If at that point it continues to be a huge problem, then its gonna be a huge problem, if not then it really wont have been.

Im not sure why you think randoms stopped farming. There was plenty of farming last round. It stopped the level of farming of a priv gal universe, but it also stopped the level of attacks/def of that uni too. So im not sure proportionally it mattered.

A little startup farming is unfortunate, but hopefully once newsies are out, pa crew will enforce the rules and we will have a generally farming low round.
Conspiracy Theory, Wrath, 1up, ICD, Eclipse
K-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 19:30   #17
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
There was plenty of farming last round.
Well I don't remember it being anywhere near the level it is at now. I'm surprised that you can't see the advantage random has when it comes to stopping farming.

No OB and random would probably stop 99% of farming. Early and late.

Unread 16 Mar 2003, 19:31   #18
RexDrax
Knightly Protector

RexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of lightRexDrax is a glorious beacon of light
You do have a valid point ParraCida. I did not think of the reasoning you provided. The chances, as you have stated, of there being so many top planets from one galaxy this early in the game are remote. Should be intresting to find out in the near future what the composition of that galaxy is.

Yeah start-up farming is not quite as frowned upon as farming, but its still annoying. Here I am working my butt of to ..... ah never mind.

Est Sularus oth Mithas
My Honour is My Life, My Life is My Honour
RexDrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 20:07   #19
dabult
Ark-miner wannabe

dabult will become famous soon enoughdabult will become famous soon enough
Random was fun but hot damn hectic, random without OB would be a fricken blast and joy.

Sure its nice to be in a private gal, even if i didnt know any of my galmates on forehand, but random still > private.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 20:58   #20
K-W
Bored

K-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond reputeK-W has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Well I don't remember it being anywhere near the level it is at now. I'm surprised that you can't see the advantage random has when it comes to stopping farming.

No OB and random would probably stop 99% of farming. Early and late.
Yes it slowed down farming, it also slowed down attacking and defending and changed the game in general. THe thing is I dont remember a big farming problem in rd 7, certainly no where near the farming of other rounds. Im betting farming could be reduced through a much less invasive means. Simply PA crew setting a hard definition and enforcing it would do the job.

Meanwhile you are acting like some startup farming is the sign that we are going into a round that will be full of farming, a conclusion I dont think it is justified in jumping to. IF after newsies come out, PA crew isnt stopping farming and people start doing it hardcore then why dont we complain about the terrible level of farming.
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 21:53   #21
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
a certain gal in the region of C21 has 3 top10 players atm heh
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 21:54   #22
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

You're talking like it's ok. Your gal farmed in round 7, maybe that's why.

Playing legitimately at the start and being beaten by people who just farm is extremely annoying. Random has plenty of other advantages, and no round after this one should be private again, imo. If it is a random universe without OB we wouldn't need any other coding or anything because it would just stop. Plus, it's impossible to stop farming by coding it into the game.

Unread 16 Mar 2003, 22:35   #23
HellKicker
Fook Yu
Cell-Out Champion

HellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the roughHellKicker is a jewel in the rough
Either if it's random only, or private gals, the farming will ALWAYS be a problem. Some morons never learn that Planetarion should be won by activity, well planning, and quite a handful of luck. The Creators does not have resources to constantly track down farmers - There always come new ones, getting dragged into the temptation of gaining a few, later on- many easy roids instead of paying high prices for the ones gained 'legally'.

Farming is one of the biggest problems, and no real 'cure' for this 'dissease' has been found. Not only Planetarion is suffering from this, but most real-time based games on the internet are, as there's always some of those fags wanting their name on top of the ranking list. Why even bother to much reaching for the top, when you know you've done your best? Why cheat? If i should've cheated, and ending up winning the game, i would sit with honour, but deep down in myself, i would have a bad feeling, as if i was a rotten looser. - Cheaters never win, they loose. Not in the game, but they loose over themselves and their self-control. I find it sad some people ain't able to control themselves, and i'm sure many people agree with me.

Now, i would like to point that the current top players might also NOT be cheating. I think the only reason you kinda get 'blamed' is because of the ones being on top before, being revealed as farmers. If there is some honest souls of you there, i find it sad that you get blamed for not doing anything.

Farmers don't win, they loose

-HellKicker
Unread 16 Mar 2003, 23:51   #24
K-W
Bored

Quote:
You're talking like it's ok. Your gal farmed in round 7, maybe that's why.

Playing legitimately at the start and being beaten by people who just farm is extremely annoying. Random has plenty of other advantages, and no round after this one should be private again, imo. If it is a random universe without OB we wouldn't need any other coding or anything because it would just stop. Plus, it's impossible to stop farming by coding it into the game.
Im talking like its ok? Id love to hear when I said it was OK. Pls reread my posts and tell me where I talked like it was ok. Its amazing how much people in these forums hallucinate when reading posts.

I am talking like it happens, which it does. In case youve forgotten they dont count the rankings during the first week as the winners of the round. So you dont get beaten by anyone. Nor does anyone in this game "just farm" If you are bitter because people who farm are getting a higher rank atm, fine, but dont act like its some huge problem in the game. It could become one, im simply saying it isnt one yet.
Farming would not just stop in a random universe. Did you play any rounds before private gals scouse? I have a funny feeling you did. Did farming exist in those rounds? I also have a funny feeling it did. Therefore farming does happen in random rounds. Yes it doesnt happen on the same scale. And you dont have galaxies farming, but there are ways to stop farming without losing private gals.

As far as other reasons for random, fine. I like random myself

Non-startup farming could be stopped by any high ranking players if pa crew would make a hard definition for farming and then just enforce it.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 00:33   #25
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Well I don't remember it being anywhere near the level it is at now.
It may not seem at the level now, because it was mainly those 'bgs' associated with you that were farming.

99% of DTA farmed last round, furbie, fred, alomar (all of 28:1). Then there was the 'multi' escort attacks (which imo are far worse than farming...) these were done by the above ^ and Valvalis, (most likely logbat), a couple of LDK, darki etc. And im sure there were a lot more. I do know however that initially there were very few Fury, as last round Fury had fk all top planets for the beginning (and later most of) the round. R7 had DTA (again), and im sure a few Furgion (and Nocex gals) were farming too.

On that note, it *is* possible to achieve a high roid count and rank initially without attacking at all. Last round, I made #1 on roids, #2 on score with my n00b gal being #2 on roids (and 17th odd on score b4 we got cnuted ) this was all through me 'sharing' a start up plan I developed, which seemed to have worked quite well, along with no sleep/no life for the 1st 2 weeks. And I didnt farm or multi attack etc etc last round, those that were watching me like a hawk (ie my enemies looking for me to slip up and cheat somehow, with my co ords being public within 3 days) should be able to confirm this

And it is easy to roid a top 30 gal and get *that* many roids... and thats when that top 30 gal is your farm

It can be easy to catch farmers, especially when they "go back" to there farms later on in the round (for say ships a la Fred stz), or they are still farming a few days before when the first possible newsies come out (some scanner out there must have em at the earliest tick ).

As for multi attacks...... if each alliance keeps a record of all the 'top' planets attacking with small planets and cross references it later in the round, it should yield some favourable results
________
HOTELS IN MEXICO

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:44.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 01:46   #26
Chax
Pepsi bottle

Chax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the roughChax is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Therefore the conclusion is simple, people are farming, last night 2 galaxies had 2 people in the top 10 and each had another in the top 20. The odds of this are about the same of any of you getting layed tonight.
Damn you for posting this, you jinxed me! I was planning to go to bed early last night and then my wife actually fell asleep while I was brushing my teeth.

I guess this means they are farming then.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 01:50   #27
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Whats up Kileman, you wouldn't be saying that because you were a naughty boy yourself now would you
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 01:53   #28
K-W
Bored

Btw as to parracida's odds. They dont really make sense. Players of like activity and ability play together, a top gal is full of top players generally, so of the rather small percentage of players who are logging in at the exact right ticks to get the max roids most of them would tend to be in galaxies with each other. Then its all just a crap shoot of luck. I dont think its really all that improbable. Not likely, but certainly not unexplainable as you seem to be saying. Id guess the odds are well within the constraints of normal luck... I am of course not saying there isnt startup farming. Nor do I doubt that those people farmed. Im just saying that the probablility argument doesnt prove it.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 02:04   #29
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Im talking like its ok? Id love to hear when I said it was OK. Pls reread my posts and tell me where I talked like it was ok. Its amazing how much people in these forums hallucinate when reading posts.
Gee Germ. We're not enemies anymore, no need to bite my head off.

Quote:
Farming would not just stop in a random universe. Did you play any rounds before private gals scouse?
You know I did. We were in the same alliance.

Quote:
Did farming exist in those rounds? I also have a funny feeling it did.
I'm sure it did, but the game has changed a lot since then, maybe, hopefully, with the introduction of loads of new players it might become somthing similar to what it was. But farming would be heavily reduced in a random universe, but you're right it wouldn't stop it 100%, nothing would.

Quote:
Non-startup farming could be stopped by any high ranking players if pa crew would make a hard definition for farming and then just enforce it.
That's the whole problem, it's nigh on impossible to define 'farming' and you can't really delete someone over something dubious.

Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
It may not seem at the level now, because it was mainly those 'bgs' associated with you that were farming.
Not at all, Kile. FAnG, Adelante had way more top 50 planets during the initiating and farming period.

Quote:
Last round, I made #1 on roids, #2 on score with my n00b gal being #2 on roids
Exactly, farming wasn't as bad last round, and that had OB. Remove OB and almost all farming is stopped.

Unread 17 Mar 2003, 02:08   #30
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Btw as to parracida's odds. They dont really make sense. Players of like activity and ability play together, a top gal is full of top players generally, so of the rather small percentage of players who are logging in at the exact right ticks to get the max roids most of them would tend to be in galaxies with each other. Then its all just a crap shoot of luck. I dont think its really all that improbable. Not likely, but certainly not unexplainable as you seem to be saying. Id guess the odds are well within the constraints of normal luck... I am of course not saying there isnt startup farming. Nor do I doubt that those people farmed. Im just saying that the probablility argument doesnt prove it.
Yes it does, by your logic the same galaxy should have 2 players in the top 10 all round because their skills are so vastly superior over the rest they can distinguish themselves in a universe were atm luck is the biggest factor that decides score. Who are you really trying to kid, its the same in every round of planetarion. In the start you see some gals that have multiple top 20 players which later then all fade back. Perfect example of this is 24:1 in Round 6, who farmed their asses of a the start and were mediocre players at best.

The odds are not against me, chances of any galaxy having multiple players in the top 10 are ridiculously small. Through 9 rounds of planetarion, having thousands of galaxies, never has there been a gal that had 2 players in the top 10 except for at the start of a round where by some miracle multiple galaxies seem to pull it off. Again I say: how is it possibly that by your definition these players have such uncanny skills that they are able to get into the top 10 in a close competition where luck is the absolute top deciding factor, but where we all know they WILL NOT end in the top 10, despite of those 'superior skills'.

My odds are correct, your logic is flawed, and my brother can beat yours up.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 02:43   #31
Knight Theamion
Miles Teg

Knight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himKnight Theamion is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
i still like jorn for being top 10 last round through almost suicide roiding.

<jornx> godverdekanker weer 4k cutters kwijt, dat was 40% of mn kankah score
<jornx> kankah
<jornx> maar wel gecapped
<TorTu> hoeveel ?
<jornx> genoeg om weer top 10 roidcount the staan

Translation:
he lost 40% of his fleet but remained top 10 roidcount.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 02:47   #32
Psi_K
Canadian to the Core

Psi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the roughPsi_K is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
~
/me slaps Kile
Not all of 28:1 Farmed ffs
r18-19 [eXi]
<Intermission>
r31-32 [CT] - r33-35 [DLR] - r36 [VsN] - r37 [???]
r45-46 [FAnG]
Psi_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 03:33   #33
kyrealean
Crimson Dragon

kyrealean is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Yes it does, by your logic the same galaxy should have 2 players in the top 10 all round because their skills are so vastly superior over the rest they can distinguish themselves in a universe were atm luck is the biggest factor that decides score. Who are you really trying to kid, its the same in every round of planetarion. In the start you see some gals that have multiple top 20 players which later then all fade back. Perfect example of this is 24:1 in Round 6, who farmed their asses of a the start and were mediocre players at best.

The odds are not against me, chances of any galaxy having multiple players in the top 10 are ridiculously small. Through 9 rounds of planetarion, having thousands of galaxies, never has there been a gal that had 2 players in the top 10 except for at the start of a round where by some miracle multiple galaxies seem to pull it off. Again I say: how is it possibly that by your definition these players have such uncanny skills that they are able to get into the top 10 in a close competition where luck is the absolute top deciding factor, but where we all know they WILL NOT end in the top 10, despite of those 'superior skills'.

there HAVE been gals where the gal members may not have been all Top 10, but where at least 4 were in the Top 50. ie 23.23 Rd7

Farming is still happening, on how big of a scale remains to be seen.

Random galaxies suck when the playerbase is 98 percent veterans, as its all pure arse luck if u get a decent galaxy to back you up. If not then your fked if u dont stay online 24/7 to watch your planet.

Priv gals are the only way to go with the current playerbase, as it provides the most competition and the best chance for each respective player to do well.
Rd 4 267.2.10 D'tartagnan of DesertWinds_Fortress (Fury)
Rd 5 25.16.13 Xavier of Sanctified_Realm (Fury)
Rd 6 1.16 gave planet away (Fury)
Rd 7 23.23.13 Mikey of Goondocks (RaH)
Rd 8 C2 quit (RaH)
Rd 9 24.6.1 Prof_Xavier of School_for_Gifted_Youngsters (Eclipse)
Rd 9.5 9.8.3 Starbuck of Galactica (RaH)
kyrealean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 05:01   #34
K-W
Bored

Quote:

Erm, para, either you have a real bad grasp of logic or you misread my post.

I made it quite clear that it was not probable for it to happen, but taht it was not very improbable. IE its something that doesnt demand some other cause. Its probable enough that it could happen under the natural course of things. Thats all I said, so... well the rest of your post doesnt reallly apply the the situation.

Weve only had 8 rounds of PA, that is only 8 final top 10s, thats not really that many from a probablitity standpoint. Also, rd7 M&S finished with 2 top 10 planets, so recheck your history.

Factually, and logically incorrect.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 05:11   #35
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Gee Germ. We're not enemies anymore, no need to bite my head off.
Then why, pray tell, did you make the snide comment about me thinking cheating was OK and then going back to rd 7? Was that just casual banter? Maybe I interpreted it wrong but insuinuating that because members of my gal in rd 7 farmed I think farming is ok didnt exactly seem a neutral comment on your part.

Quote:

I'm sure it did, but the game has changed a lot since then, maybe, hopefully, with the introduction of loads of new players it might become somthing similar to what it was. But farming would be heavily reduced in a random universe, but you're right it wouldn't stop it 100%, nothing would.
I dont know what your logic for heavily reduced is. Yes you wouldnt see the top gal level farming you see now with farm galaxies etc. But youd still have multi farmers on all levels and many players all over the board farming. Instead of a top 10 gal, each with a farm in a farm gal, each of those players would have a couple of planets in random gals that they farm. A reduction would occur, but especially in the context that random rounds produce lower growth all around, im not sure you still wouldnt have a hardcore farming problem.

Quote:

That's the whole problem, it's nigh on impossible to define 'farming' and you can't really delete someone over something dubious.
Well its easy to define farming. Its hard to define it in a way that destinguishes exactly farming. But an operational definition could easily be developed that made harcore farming clearly against the rules and would make it very easy for someone with a news scan to prove farming. Of course there would always be ways around those rules, but if you could cut out the most harcore farming that would go a long way toward helping the game. Anyway, if farming has to be a judgement call it has to be a judgement call. Its not actually that hard to know it when you see it. Its just a matter of PA crew enforcing it. If they dont than people will farm in any kind of universe.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 08:27   #36
Glatze

Glatze is an unknown quantity at this point
Calm down guys...

Ofcourse its ****e when ppl farm. Been there, done that, hate it ever since. Playing the fair way and reaching high gives a kick and its about time some ppl start to realize that. In round 5 we had a farm gal (hell yes, we invented institutional farming ), but round 6 was a no farm-cheat-and-obey-the-planetarion-rules round. Starting with 3 gals ranked below spot 150 we kinda started crying. But when it started to matter and when balls were needed in attacking, you saw us rising to top 30 spots in no-time. So give it some time, it will level out. Note down the farmers and take their dirty roids like we did in the past. Laugh in their face and say thank you :-)
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 08:59   #37
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Weve only had 8 rounds of PA, that is only 8 final top 10s, thats not really that many from a probablitity standpoint. Also, rd7 M&S finished with 2 top 10 planets, so recheck your history.
I think you just proved my point. The two planets in your gal that were top 10 in the end were both accepting fleet donations in the end. Who can forget the 80,000 pulsars your zik GC had .
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 13:29   #38
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Random really does solve everything

Quote:
Including farming.

lmao, i myself only scanned up to 60 roids. I have since gone way past your supposed 120 roids limit!! IT IS POSSIBLE to attack at this stage even with the universe as it is. What you hve to do is launch on a galaxy using the same ingredients as always:

1, launch late like around 4 gmt
2, cover the whole of the galaxy your attacking
3, attack as often as possible.

I have attacked every night for the past few nights. Some attacks work some dont. Thats it. You just keep going out attacking and you will eventually succeed. Tho this does, has and always will take dedication.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 13:48   #39
Perfection
Autonomous

Perfection will become famous soon enoughPerfection will become famous soon enough
Anyone on or over 200 roids has farmed. Period.

If anyone is on 286 roids, well thats just wh0ring yourself.
Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 14:06   #40
SpaceLegend
(-: :-)

SpaceLegend is on a distinguished road
well, i went random this round and i am not a farm but feel like one.
i had a decent start but atm, i have again a nice 3-wave-attack coming (from three gals, all twice the score my gal has) for my few roids. you guys can't imagine the amount of incomings on random gals ranked 400+, and that every night.

the random gals are all "farm gals" when priv gals are around.
R2 35:16 | R3 16:15 | R4 234:11 | R5 32:5 | R6 14:4 | R7 20:11 | R8 18:6
R9 27:10 | R9.5 11:4 | R10 10:1 | R10.5 1:6 | R11 6:5 | R12 28:3 | R13 3:9
R14 13:5 | R15 5:6 | R16 20:3 | R17 8:4 | R18 13:7 | R19 10:8 | R20 3:4
R21 15:4 | R22 4:4 | R23 7:5 | R24 12:8 | R25 11:5 | R26 11:9 | R27 1:9
R28 9:2 | R29 5:5 | R30 3:7 | R31 10:7 | R32 6:2 | R33 3:6 | R34 2:1 | R35 6:2
R36 9:2 | R37 5:6 | R38 12:1 | R39 14:8 | R40 10:6 | R41+ retired
SpaceLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 14:41   #41
Scouse
[F.E.A.R.]

Re: Re: Random really does solve everything

Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]
lmao, i myself only scanned up to 60 roids. I have since gone way past your supposed 120 roids limit!!
Your post is a whole 24 hrs after mine. 120 roids by then wasn't what it was when I posted.

It's impossible to be on 250+ roids atm, without farming. I think everyone agrees there.

Unread 17 Mar 2003, 14:45   #42
hAl
ensign forever

hAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these partshAl is infamous around these parts
You can take mayby some limited measures that might help in preventing or detecting farming.

* Make planets unable to init roids when under attack from a fleet containing pods of a bigger score planet.
* Also for instance you could add info to sector scans like a "roids gained, resources lost" ratio for the last attack (no coords or tick info)
* Publish daily lists of top 100 planets having lost the roids to the smallest attack fleets. So, something like "roids lost/attack score fleet" ratio. Sure this will show the scary runners as well but if we all know that in advance that is just a feature of the game.

Against the people that use support fleets to cover their raids you could impose a minumun 5% pods limit in any attack fleet. (that would eliminate scout fleets as well though and mayby some other tactical options)

There might be lots of other things possible that I cannot think of in 5 mins though.

hAl
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 19:29   #43
K-W
Bored

Quote:
Originally posted by hAl
You can take mayby some limited measures that might help in preventing or detecting farming.

* Make planets unable to init roids when under attack from a fleet containing pods of a bigger score planet.
* Also for instance you could add info to sector scans like a "roids gained, resources lost" ratio for the last attack (no coords or tick info)
* Publish daily lists of top 100 planets having lost the roids to the smallest attack fleets. So, something like "roids lost/attack score fleet" ratio. Sure this will show the scary runners as well but if we all know that in advance that is just a feature of the game.

Against the people that use support fleets to cover their raids you could impose a minumun 5% pods limit in any attack fleet. (that would eliminate scout fleets as well though and mayby some other tactical options)

There might be lots of other things possible that I cannot think of in 5 mins though.

hAl
I like your first idea, there is no lawful reason for someone to initiate roids while under attack.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 19:30   #44
K-W
Bored

Quote:
I think you just proved my point. The two planets in your gal that were top 10 in the end were both accepting fleet donations in the end. Who can forget the 80,000 pulsars your zik GC had .
Spring took no donations. And summy was already top ten when he took his, they were aimed at getting him to #1. I cant forget things that you make up.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 19:36   #45
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by SpaceLegend

the random gals are all "farm gals" when priv gals are around.
yap. priv galaxies kill0red the game.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 19:37   #46
whoop
The [Fury] of the [z0r]

whoop is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Perfection
Anyone on or over 200 roids has farmed. Period.

If anyone is on 286 roids, well thats just wh0ring yourself.
286 rocks ? jesus. how blatant does a farmer have to be to get busted ?

And why do we have to wait until newsscans are available ? You would think that the people runnig the game would be able to tell.

-whoop
<@whoop> I know

#milo
whoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 20:06   #47
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by K-W
Spring took no donations. And summy was already top ten when he took his, they were aimed at getting him to #1. I cant forget things that you make up.
But apparantly you can forget things that did happen but just don't suit you very well.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 20:13   #48
K-W
Bored

Quote:
But apparantly you can forget things that did happen but just don't suit you very well.
What did I forget?

I am well aware of SUmmy's donations, but they have no bearing on this discussion. He was top 5 before he took them. Both spring and summy made top 10 without donations. Thus completely disproving your statement that no galaxy has ever had two top ten planets.

So please, tell me what I forgot that doesnt suit me well? It seems to me that you forgot about the top 10 in round 7 when it didnt suit you well.
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 20:22   #49
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

If you say so

(cuz thats ofcourse the basis of this arguement, I'll say this, you say that, nobody can prove anything, but my brother still can beat up yours)
Unread 17 Mar 2003, 20:25   #50
K-W
Bored

Quote:
If you say so

(cuz thats ofcourse the basis of this arguement, I'll say this, you say that, nobody can prove anything, but my brother still can beat up yours)
How exactly is this a you say this and I say that situation.

You made a claim(no 2 top ten players), I pointed out that it was false. You then tried to qualify your claim(they were only there for donations), I pointed out that this was also false.

You made the claim that having 2 top ten players is so statistically improbable that it has to be the result of cheating. Youve not backed that claim up.