User Name
Password

Go Back   Planetarion Forums > Planetarion Related Forums > Planetarion Discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Today's Posts

Unread 5 Jan 2003, 19:42   #1
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

ParraCida is an unknown quantity at this point
Attacking in Round 9 - Grief and Horror?

Well Zeus has just announced that Round 9 will contain both parallel and cluster travel time bonusses.
Now take that, add overburn defense plus private galaxies and what do you have?

Attackers-hell if you ask me.
Quite frankly this will make attacking next to impossible. As many of you already experienced in Round 8, overburn defense has made quite an impact on the game, ETA 5 defense fleets were something very common and I can't count all the times I came online cursing and swearing because some guy got 50k ETA 5 defense 10 minutes before the tick.
Now in Round 8 there were certain factors that justified having overburned defense available. One of those was the random universe, where you could land in an inactive gal or a gal without people from different timezones. People could still get covered and this all seemed like a fair trade off in Round 8 (though I still say ob def shouldve been ONE tick only).

In any case, in Round 9 private galaxies will emerge and every gal will make sure they have people from all sorts of timezones to cover their asses so to speak. This will result in a quicker response time by the galaxy under attack, factoring this with overburned defense and both parallel and cluster help it will make attacking quite futile it would seem.

In previous rounds you could attack an entire cluster (or at least the hostile / top gals) to maximize your chances of getting roids.
Now however you are going to attack an entire cluster AND an entire parallel, which both have their own parallel and cluster to defend them?

It seems to me that this is not thought out very well. Getting low ETA defense seems dreadfully easy to me in this universe. ETA 4 fleets available from 29 other galaxies (say average gal has 15 players: 3000 / 15 = 200 gals with 10 gals per cluster and thus 20 parallels minus your own).
If succesfully attacking in Round 8 was very difficult (which it was) then how will this be in Round 9? Everybody will have the eonium for ob defense (lo R2 init system) and the chances you can get cluster / para travel to any given person are 15%.

Looks like farming is coming back into swing (as if it ever left )
ParraCida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 19:53   #2
Cochese
Retired

Cochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond reputeCochese has a reputation beyond repute
More and more it seems they're just trying to eradicate the existing playerbase, so they can start "fresh" for round 10.

I doubt many of you will like the changes planned anyways.

Utterly useless since r3
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 21:06   #3
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese
More and more it seems they're just trying to eradicate the existing playerbase, so they can start "fresh" for round 10.

They could just call it planetarion round 10 for planetarion round 1 instead, couse there wont be any vets left?

GO CREATORS
(Parracida is correct, creators are clueless as usual)
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 22:09   #4
Colt
Mercenary

Colt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to allColt is a name known to all
Totally agreed, tho i will still play
Ultores
Colt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 22:19   #5
isildurx

isildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond reputeisildurx has a reputation beyond repute
heh

u are 100% correct P
Unread 5 Jan 2003, 22:38   #6
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
More intense, he said.

Zeus, no offense, but that is just silly.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:04   #7
[Cymru]
Lord of the Sheep

[Cymru] is an unknown quantity at this point
They still havent learnt the lesson!

PA is TOO intense for most to want to even bother. For all you self named "elite" players i will ignore your pleas to make the game harder for newbies and therefore easier for you as you so often imply rather than say.

Not everyone can afford to be online or at a PC 24/7 so they just give up on the game rather than pay to be smashed to hell.

As R9 will be clusters and parallels i believe this is another reason to eradicate OB, for defence reasons aswell. If a player will have both the cluster AND para allies to go to for defence, then OB defence should not be needed! This set-up will also readily give more attacking opportunities in a better way than OB did and it will piss off less people as they can still have galaxy lookouts to call for defence.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 02:52   #8
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Many of the "hardcore" players hate the overburn defence option, though from a more casual players viewpoint this option is gold. It gives us people a chance who arn't online 24/7 to actually cover the occasional incoming.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:09   #9
Fleet_Multiplex
Hell

Fleet_Multiplex is an unknown quantity at this point
bloody clueless morons [Creators]
http://www.seraphimhq.net/Uploads/VipsLogo1.jpg
ViruS Round 3-9, Executive Round 5-9

I shall not go quitely into the night without a fight, for I am an angel of war, bringer of a thousand deaths. Chain me. Beat me. Seduce me. It will gain you nothing but a smile of death. Dare to mock me, and you will burn in my blood.
Fleet_Multiplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:17   #10
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by aza1
Many of the "hardcore" players hate the overburn defence option, though from a more casual players viewpoint this option is gold. It gives us people a chance who arn't online 24/7 to actually cover the occasional incoming.
1. you noobs already got that wank 20% anti bash thing who is working (put it punish players on a certain size thought)
2. Why should we feel sorry for the planets who nearly doesn't attack but rather sit on theyr ass scanning and getting picked on cause they can't keep theyr ration cool?

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:36   #11
aza1

aza1 is an unknown quantity at this point
because us "noob" players are what pa needs more of if it is to stay a viable business proposition einstein.

Helping a the small minority at the top bash the majority is not in pa's interests. But i am sure you being a "l337" player already knew that.
aza1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:44   #12
Domin
500k posts

Domin is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
because us "noob" players are what pa needs more of if it is to stay a viable business proposition einstein.

Helping a the small minority at the top bash the majority is not in pa's interests. But i am sure you being a "l337" player already knew that.
The small players are protected from the minority at the top by the 20% rule. u can't blame the planets on 20 mill for 1 mill planets getting bashed u got to blame players 3-5.

and sorry for my direction against the "noobs" but i got pissed when i saw the stupid tread. It's just a game i can't see what people wine about if they are beeing bashed. I have been bashed as well. get over it.

Also i can't see why people take it so seriouse when they are only on 30 mins per day and goes in the roof if they are roided.

round 2: 54:24:17 FA
round 3: 45:17:20 nos
round 4: 64:18:10 nos
round 5: 32:6:6 nos
round 6: 11:11:7 nos
round 7: 29:23:3 nos
round 8: 22:7:1 nos plush
round 9: 6:6:8 oly
round 13: Dont have roids so dont bother asking
Domin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 03:48   #13
Eol
The Subtle/Profound

Eol is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]

PA is TOO intense for most to want to even bother. For all you self named "elite" players i will ignore your pleas to make the game harder for newbies and therefore easier for you as you so often imply rather than say.

Not everyone can afford to be online or at a PC 24/7 so they just give up on the game rather than pay to be smashed to hell.

As R9 will be clusters and parallels i believe this is another reason to eradicate OB, for defence reasons aswell. If a player will have both the cluster AND para allies to go to for defence, then OB defence should not be needed! This set-up will also readily give more attacking opportunities in a better way than OB did and it will piss off less people as they can still have galaxy lookouts to call for defence.
Welshie, trust me. I do believe I am a fairly harcore player. And that my alliance consisted of fairly hardcore players. And really, I don't think any of us enjoyed the intensity of r8 so much we want a repeat. It was too intense. Much too intense, mostly due to OB attacks. Having to wake up every sodding 3 hours to avoid getting raped makes you ill after a while.
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 04:07   #14
at0mic.c0w
Käptn Karacho

at0mic.c0w is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It gives us people a chance who arn't online 24/7 to actually cover the occasional incoming.
and it makes those who are online 24/7 invulnerable unless a whole powerblock decides to launch a coordinated attack on them
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 04:11   #15
Scoot951
Das Scoot

Scoot951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by [Cymru]

I believe even the "elite" are crying out for some relief at this point. I've done the waking up at 3 AM thing for weeks on end, and I WANT SOME SLEEP GODDAMN IT.

Domin's the first person I've seen thinking it's not intense enough for some rounds now, my guess is he's looking forward to the day there's only 30 people playing.

I don't really know what I'm doing here
Scoot951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 04:17   #16
Kileman
Commander

Kileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to beholdKileman is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally posted by at0mic.c0w
and it makes those who are online 24/7 invulnerable unless a whole powerblock decides to launch a coordinated attack on them
hehe so true ;p
________
Ford Mondeo V6 Engine History

Last edited by Kileman; 24 Feb 2011 at 21:27.
Kileman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 09:53   #17
starbreeze

starbreeze is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Kileman
hehe so true ;p
sniff...i do not believe u were *quite* so invincible monsieur kileman....
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:28   #18
Lerxst
baka.

Lerxst is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Eol
More intense, he said.

Zeus, no offense, but that is just silly.
Exactly. Just plain silly.

In R4, the parallel-TT worked quite nice because it still was a big big big big universe. But from p2p-round to p2p-round the playerbase diminished...
Now we have a small, uber-competitive universe with "pros" around every corner. Last round 95% of my attacks were eta5-defended and OB-attacks on me kept me some days aqay from sleeping. Now the amount of players able to attack me / defend against me shall now be increased? How plain silly.

What this game needs is either a *complete* redesign (which will not happen before R10) or a bigbigbig injection of a lot of new players so that we can have >100 Clusters again. Which also will not happen in R9 (if ever)...

Why not all, creators, Jolt and us skip R9 and give us a six-month-break from PA?
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 10:48   #19
Mistwraith
Bad Girl

Mistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud ofMistwraith has much to be proud of
We've had shorter para and cluster time before, i didnt see zeus say it would be the same length of shortening....this is planetarion...have u not learnt to never assume anything in this game ?
R11 -> NOW HR HC
(a round history not condusive to suceeding in exams, having a life or much sleep )
I'm not misunderstood ... I'm EVIL
Mistwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 14:10   #20
Stals
Retired

Stals is an unknown quantity at this point
Remove overburn!

From what I can tell activity is 50% of this game, other 45% is luck and the remaining 5% is skills.
Also the overburn attacks made it so I had to stay much more online than earlier, cause I couldn't have my galaxy watching my back while I was sleeping cause they couldn't see the overburn attacks as they were cloaked!

So for all those of you that say overburning can make people play less active than earlier cause you got an extra hour to get defence, thats totally bull****, cause you need to be more active to actually spot the incommings, so u'll most likely not notince the incomming before its to late, or and hour or two later, so overburning is negative for those players that want to be less active in order to have a real life !!!!
R5 Legion member
R6 Legion BC
R7 Legion BC
WC2 TiG's Terriffic Tribe (winner galaxy!)
R8 Plush member
R9 ToT/LCH BC
R9.5 LDK Scanner
R10 Ðragons BC
R10.5 Didn't play
R11 1uP (winner galaxy!)
R12 1uP MO (winner galaxy!)
R13 Not playing
Stals is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 14:14   #21
G.K Zhukov
Evil inside

G.K Zhukov is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Lerxst
Why not all, creators, Jolt and us skip R9 and give us a six-month-break from PA?
best idea Ive seen so far!
<Almeida> well i like to grow fat myself too, and when i have enough ships then i can engage in big battles
<Nantoz> Zhukov for Lord Protector!
<Jakiri> (Windows)XP was fine on release
G.K Zhukov is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 14:43   #22
Galaxian

Galaxian is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by DaRk_anthraX
Remove overburn!

From what I can tell activity is 50% of this game, other 45% is luck and the remaining 5% is skills.
Also the overburn attacks made it so I had to stay much more online than earlier, cause I couldn't have my galaxy watching my back while I was sleeping cause they couldn't see the overburn attacks as they were cloaked!

So for all those of you that say overburning can make people play less active than earlier cause you got an extra hour to get defence, thats totally bull****, cause you need to be more active to actually spot the incommings, so u'll most likely not notince the incomming before its to late, or and hour or two later, so overburning is negative for those players that want to be less active in order to have a real life !!!!
Skip o/b attacks, keep o/b defence.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 14:52   #23
Hicks
Raaaaaaaah!

Hicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like himHicks is an inspiration to us all and we should try to be more like him
Quote:
Originally posted by Galaxian
Skip o/b attacks, keep o/b defence.
Remove both, the only way Overburn Defence can stay in the game is if Xand Fi is completely down graded. The point of Xand is that they have good small ships and poor large ships so doing that would kind of ruin the theme of the race.

Overburn defence made it harder to attack, attacking is what makes the game fun, However, when night after night your targets get ETA 5 massed Fi defence 3 minutes before the tick then it becomes somewhat fustrating.
Hicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 17:58   #24
Makain
Macintosh Defender

Makain is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Cochese

Would you like to elaborate on those planned changes for Round 10, since you seem to know so much about them and whether we will enjoy them or not. At least wait for the creators to annouce all the changes to the community instead of immediatly bashing ideas which are still fluid and haven't been set in stone yet. I am sure most people will not be happy with 1 or 2 aspects of the new planetarion because thats they way ideas are. But to say that many of us won't like the changes planned in such a broad way is arrogant and leads to an anti-productive view of the game.

- Alerick
Makain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 6 Jan 2003, 18:03   #25
-o|DarkJedi|o-

-o|DarkJedi|o- is infamous around these parts
overburn def should drop dead and die

<@JonnyFive> well there you go, dj's ego really is mightier than ships

<@Hevonen> DarkJedi, thank god

[00:02] <Iniluki> self glorfying sigs are ****ing childish
[00:04] <DarkJedi> arrogance is bliss
-o|DarkJedi|o- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 02:13   #26
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Well either drop cluster or parallels, I'd say go ahead and drop clusters and give parallels a -1 attack and defense bonus, maybe even ban OB def (and attack for para) ingal/inpara.

Makes for some nice para wars, and doesnt make the game too unbalanced, though OB def for 2 ticks still needs to burn and die (clearly if it was designed to counter the OB attack how can you justify it staying 2 ticks!??)
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 10:14   #27
Dizzyness

Dizzyness is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

just initiate til you get news scans, likely be top 50 at least if attacking is gonna be the nightmare you people seem to think
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 19:40   #28
zenopus
Xenoc

zenopus is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
... though OB def for 2 ticks still needs to burn and die (clearly if it was designed to counter the OB attack how can you justify it staying 2 ticks!??)
Maybe because most attacks will be lauched just around tick, and unless the target is actually online to tell you which tick you need to be there for...
zenopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 20:44   #29
Telest
Agitator

Telest is an unknown quantity at this point
- Xandathrii incluster with ETA advantage on attack = broken (debatable)
- Xandathrii fighters with OB defence = broken
- OB attacks = hurts people who want to sleep = broken

Summary: Xandathrii broken, OB attacks broken.

Anyways, I am personally in favour of incluster ETA advantage on both attacks and defences. For me it adds more interest to the game, since you are really dealing with two universes: incluster and ouf of cluster. One thing I still wait to see is cluster DEFENCE ETA advantage and in parallel ATTACK ETA advantage, now that would be funky... Actually, I think I'll start a campaign for that, it sounds so interesting

Anyways, I'd like to suggest some "rules"

- no fighter ETA ship should be able to shoot CR/BS.
- no corvette ETA ship should be able to shoot BS.

When the difference between defence ETA on CR (6-4) pod is same as on DE&FR(5-3) pods, maybe they'll be more useful. Just my thoughts anyway.
Telest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 7 Jan 2003, 23:35   #30
Fred of Bedrock

Fred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura aboutFred of Bedrock has a spectacular aura about
Quote:

Actually this kind of stupid mentality is what killed PA and was propogated by that fool spinner. The game was about elitism and the desire to reach it. Every alliance wanted to be the best and galaxies and alliances were pushed along with the desire to do well.

The "majority" as you call them are people who log in once a day and do a little yet feel punished when a co-ordinated attack happens on them. They get the 20% protection and capping restrictions for fleet size yet want more so they are equal with those who desire to do well. All that does is push out the high achievers as they have to try and make the game not stagnate by breaking alliances and "backstabbing". This in turn leads to friendships breaking and more people leaving because they cant trust any-one.

Its a wargame ffs yet they want every-one to be equal despite some not doing much t play. I believe the "n0bs" are mostly whinging whinings bartsards that should find a game that suits them... something like sim city where all they can worry about is some rogue virus or fire.

So rather than trying to make every-one equal like a communist state ... oi... most of them have collapsed too... make it a game that people can try and excell at.

Paras and clusters and OB and attacking restrictions and capping limits ..... what a load of rubbish.

So Azal... you and all the bludgers you call have n00bs arent the majority or else why has the game dropped in numbers hugely with so many l33t players leaving and n00b protection getting higher each time. Seems the more protection they put in for you whingers the more that leave it.

Oh and yes I wont be playing rnd9 as its going to be worse than ever.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 00:17   #31
ParraCida
Condemned to RP

Quote:
Originally posted by zenopus
Maybe because most attacks will be lauched just around tick, and unless the target is actually online to tell you which tick you need to be there for...
That arguement is pathetic.
OB attacks have no ETA advantage so like 'any' attack you will have to send def ships with ETA -1 compared to the original attack fleet. The fact that OB attacks usually get noticed later justifies the OB defense. However OB attacks only last for one tick, so either you arrive on time or to late. If you arrive early you waisted eonium because you couldve send a normal defense fleet.

Overburned defense is meant to counter normally undefendible OB attacks. The second you give it the ability to stay for more then one tick it becomes usable for defending against normal attacks. If it defends against normal attacks for one tick you can take the damage first tick and have easier roids the second and third. Two ticks however is too heavy because you will have only one tick of easy roids and that usually does not cover the damage you had in the first two ticks. What does that mean? A feature implemented to counter another newly implemented feature is succesfully used against an already existing feature and thereby disrupts game balance (yes I am assuming that attacking / defending was balanced at that point).

Anyway, bit offtopic but imo OB def is as much a part of this discussion as clusters / parallel travel bonusses.
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 10:27   #32
-CP-
SHW

-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough-CP- is a jewel in the rough
Re: Attacking in Round 9 - Grief and Horror?

Quote:
Originally posted by ParraCida
Attackers-hell if you ask me.

Well said Parra..
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

SHW, ReBorn, Wolfpack, NoS, Eclipse, Ascendancy
-CP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 8 Jan 2003, 12:26   #33
Perfection
Autonomous

Perfection will become famous soon enoughPerfection will become famous soon enough
Why is it that as soon as i read about this (2 minutes ago) I knew about that problem, and so did the majority ...

But yet, 'creators' cant see the problem with it, after 8 rounds of 'running' this game.
Perfection is offline   Reply With Quote